• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

I just got to Golem City, and nothing happens when I save. If I restart the game and try to load a game the game instantly crashes.

Apparently this issue has been there since launch? I thought they fixed this, at least I saw it being mentioned in the patch notes.

Is it possible to circumvent somehow?

edit: I can find the savefiles in Steam\userdata\<ID>\337000\remote, and they're 1KB each. If I remove these corrupted Golem-saves, I can start the game without crashing, but yeah, I can't save or anything.

edit2: Now I can't save or load at all, even before Golem City. What is going on?

gewgergaxumx.jpg

I just got to Golem City, and nothing happens when I save. If I restart the game and try to load a game the game instantly crashes.

Apparently this issue has been there since launch? I thought they fixed this, at least I saw it being mentioned in the patch notes.

Is it possible to circumvent somehow?

edit: I can find the savefiles in Steam\userdata\<ID>\337000\remote, and they're 1KB each. If I remove these corrupted Golem-saves, I can start the game without crashing, but yeah, I can't save or anything.

edit2: Now I can't save or load at all, even before Golem City. What is going on?

The game has a limit on the max number of saves. Deleting a bunch should do the trick.

Type_Raver

Just picked up the game in Steams sale!

Havent got into it yet beside testing its performance, still playing doom.
On the ULTRA preset (but no TAA, MSAA or Sharpening), @2560x1600 using:

3930k @4.6GHz
GTX1060 6GB @ ~2100/9200
48GB RAM (i work with high resolution tif files scanning film)

From memory it was:
Min - 28fps
max - 32fps
avg - 40fps

Observations, DX12 seems to run a tad smoother in a couple sections. DX11 didnt offer any performance advantage.

Moldiver

So having bought this on release I'm just now starting it but fps seems to be a bit all over the place, can run the game maxed out but I get stutters and framdrops even though it can hold 60+. Maxed I'm between 40/60 outside but it can drop to 10/20 fps but it doesn't stay there, it's more of a stutter and then gone...quite annoying as your are always waiting for it

Dropping the settings down a bit from max I still get the occasional stutter and framedrop. just wondering what I should be setting stuff to with my systyem.

System specs, also game is installed to an SSD

Game settings

eDuUlA9.png

jorimt

So having bought this on release I'm just now starting it but fps seems to be a bit all over the place, can run the game maxed out but I get stutters and framdrops even though it can hold 60+. Maxed I'm between 40/60 outside but it can drop to 10/20 fps but it doesn't stay there, it's more of a stutter and then gone...quite annoying as your are always waiting for it

Dropping the settings down a bit from max I still get the occasional stutter and framedrop. just wondering what I should be setting stuff to with my systyem.

1. SLI + TAA is a no-go, as both work temporally, and thus clash.
2. Ultra textures take up to 6GB of VRAM, you only have 4GB available; there's most of your stutter right there. Lower to Very High.
3. Contact Hardening Shadows aren't worth it for the performance hit in my opinion, and don't even apply to all shadows (apparently none at nighttime).
4. If you're looking for even more frames, lower Volumetric Lighting to "On." Ultra has a huge performance hit (10 fps over "On," which has a 2-3 fps hit).
5. Not game breaking, but you're RAM timings are a little slow.
6. Do you have CPU hyper-threading enabled? This game is really hard on the CPU, and the more threads, the better.

Moldiver

1. SLI + TAA is a no-go, as both work temporally, and thus clash.
2. Ultra textures take up to 6GB of VRAM, you only have 4GB available; there's most of your stutter right there. Lower to Very High.
3. Contact Hardening Shadows aren't worth it for the performance hit in my opinion, and don't even apply to all shadows (apparently none at nighttime).
4. If you're looking for even more frames, lower Volumetric Lighting to "On." Ultra has a huge performance hit (10 fps over "On," which has a 2-3 fps hit).
5. Not game breaking, but you're RAM timings are a little slow.
6. Do you have CPU hyper-threading enabled? This game is really hard on the CPU, and the more threads, the better.

I guessed ultra was too high for textures, guessing sli doesn't double Vram usage?

Going to go look into my ram timings and hyper-threading now

Moldiver

Also any info on how to fix my ram timings?

Used the 'EZ tuner' on my asus board there ant they are now at 1359MHz (12-14-14-35)

jorimt

I guessed ultra was too high for textures, guessing sli doesn't double Vram usage?

Unfortunately, no, 4GB + 4GB in SLI does not equal 8GB.

Also any info on how to fix my ram timings?

Used the 'EZ tuner' on my asus board there ant they are now at 1359MHz (12-14-14-35)

It depends on the RAM's native/reported timings, as well as your motherboard's specific limits.

If you list your RAM & motherboard models, I can look further into it for you.

Moldiver

Unfortunately, no, 4GB + 4GB in SLI does not equal 8GB.

It depends on the RAM's native/reported timings, as well as your motherboard's specific limits.

If you list your RAM & motherboard models, I can look further into it for you.

Hyper-threading was on in the motherboard setting but now in Windows, when it was all on performance was worse...now with it back the way it was performance is still bad, game at low I only hit mid 60's where I could hit 60 with most things high.

Asus Vii Hero and Avexir Core Red Series 16GB DDR3 2666MHz for the ram.

jorimt

Hyper-threading was on in the motherboard setting but now in Windows, when it was all on performance was worse...now with it back the way it was performance is still bad, game at low I only hit mid 60's where I could hit 60 with most things high.

Asus Vii Hero and Avexir Core Red Series 16GB DDR3 2666MHz for the ram.

Is your RAM two 8GB sticks or four 4GB sticks?

The only documentation I can find on the RAM says the native speed/timing is DDR3-1600 11-11-11-28 1.5v, which is what your original specs listed, so that's fine; just set it back. Those sticks do appear to OC to DDR3-2666 11-13-13-35 1.65v with an XMP profile, which you can set in the bios. Stability and results may vary though.

As for Hyper-Threading, with it disabled, you're i7 is effectively acting like an i5. In a CPU-heavy game like this, with HT disabled, all four of your cores are going to frequently max out at 100%.

Atolm

I played this very recently (last week) and curiously enough didn't notice any performance hit with the Contact Hardening Shadows on/off, at least in the benchmark. Framerate was the same.

Setup is 6700k, 16GB DDR4, GTX1080, everything maxed but MSAA (disabled, since the TAA algorythm from this game is very good already) and 1440p.

Moldiver

Switched off the Asus EZ tuner and back to where we were, hyper-threading now on fps still all over the place 100+ in one room 40 fps in the next, thinking i might try balance it out so I get a constant 60 and lock it.

Moldiver

Is your RAM two 8GB sticks or four 4GB sticks?

The only documentation I can find on the RAM says the native speed/timing is DDR3-1600 11-11-11-28 1.5v, which is what your original specs listed, so that's fine; just set it back. Those sticks do appear to OC to DDR3-2666 11-13-13-35 1.65v with an XMP profile, which you can set in the bios. Stability and results may vary though.

As for Hyper-Threading, with it disabled, you're i7 is effectively acting like an i5. In a CPU-heavy game like this, with HT disabled, all four of your cores are going to frequently max out at 100%.

I have 2 sticks of ram, I think it was kind of a weird type anyways, I'll look into changing the timings though and see what happens. Hyper-threading hasn't popped up any problems by the looks of it now so everything seems to be good.

Thanks a lot for the help.

jorimt

Switched off the Asus EZ tuner and back to where we were, hyper-threading now on fps still all over the place 100+ in one room 40 fps in the next, thinking i might try balance it out so I get a constant 60 and lock it.

Sounds like poor SLI scaling and/or sporadic frametimes.

I have 2 sticks of ram, I think it was kind of a weird type anyways, I'll look into changing the timings though and see what happens. Hyper-threading hasn't popped up any problems by the looks of it now so everything seems to be good.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Happy to offer it.

980 SLI should be close to the performance of a single 1080, barring VRAM. I don't have an SLI system, so I can't comment on the scaling in this game.

For the least visual trade-off/highest performance, try my settings below, but with TAA off, and Texture Quality at Very High. For an AA replacement, the easiest way would be to apply FXAA via the Nvidia control panel, or SMAA/FXAA via Reshade. You could also try downsampling.

I easily get 75+ fps 99% of the time in-game with the below settings.

Specs:
Nvidia Driver: 376.48
Display: 27" Acer Predator XB271HU (144Hz G-Sync @1440p)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2
CPU: i7-4770k @4.2GHz (8 cores, Hyper-Threaded: 4 physical/4 virtual)
Heatsink: Hyper 212 Evo w/2x Noctua NF-F12 Fans
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 8GB
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 @1866MHz (Dual Channel: 9-10-9-28, 2T)
SSD (OS): 256GB Samsung 850 Pro
HDD (Games): 5TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM w/128MB Cache

Settings:
84ff5f10a6bfc5c7ed1328c5c7a86f0d.jpg

96ed61138fb8edb88acdba0ab15561a0.jpg

Benchmark Results:

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I played this very recently (last week) and curiously enough didn't notice any performance hit with the Contact Hardening Shadows on/off, at least in the benchmark. Framerate was the same.

Setup is 6700k, 16GB DDR4, GTX1080, everything maxed but MSAA (disabled, since the TAA algorythm from this game is very good already) and 1440p.

Unfortunately, the benchmark isn't quite as demanding as the actual game itself.

RedSwirl

Just finished the game, and there is one area where I have to hand it to Eidos and Nixxes: they actually compressed the damn game.

Installed on your hard drive it's 57GB, but the initial download is actually only somewhere in the 20's. On top of that, if you do a Steam backup, that's only 26GB. Only other game I know of that does this recently is Titanfall 1.

j-wood

I currently have this game on PS4, but I was thinking of changing it and getting it for my PC, since I just upgraded to a 1070.

Would I be able to run at 60fps? I haven't heard good or bad how the optimization of this game is. My PC is

i7 6700k
16GB DDR4
1070 8GB
SSD

Just playing at 1080p

JimboJones

I currently have this game on PS4, but I was thinking of changing it and getting it for my PC, since I just upgraded to a 1070.

Would I be able to run at 60fps? I haven't heard good or bad how the optimization of this game is. My PC is

i7 6700k
16GB DDR4
1070 8GB
SSD

Just playing at 1080p

Easily.

lmimmfn

apparently some breach mode related update ... also according to steadb it seems like we are lose to final DLC's release as the DL2 depot got now filesize
Really annoying that you can't force steam to stay on the current game version and never update unless manually forced.
This and MGSV are the worst offenders for updating online junk I'm not interested in.

I know you can disable updates and only update on startup of game but that's pretty crap still.

*EDIT* As expected, "NOT ENOUGH DISK SPACE" for the 2.5GB download because theres only 3GB free. Meh should just uninstall it.

*EDIT 2* FFS 6GIG isint enough to install a 2.5GB patch

JaseC

*EDIT* As expected, "NOT ENOUGH DISK SPACE" for the 2.5GB download because theres only 3GB free. Meh should just uninstall it.

*EDIT 2* FFS 6GIG isint enough to install a 2.5GB patch

The reason for the discrepancy is that, when downloading a patch, Steam saves all of the files being modified to the downloading folder, which are then moved once the download is complete. Patch downloads, like game downloads, are compressed, which can result in a large difference between the download size and the required amount of free space, especially as you're only downloading the new data bits.

lmimmfn

The reason for the discrepancy is that, when downloading a patch, Steam saves all of the files being modified to the downloading folder, which are then moved once the download is complete. Patch downloads, like game downloads, are compressed, which can result in a large difference between the download size and the required amount of free space.
Yeah I know, but 200% of download should have been enough. I gave up and uninstalled it and redownloaded the full 60gig or whatever, a bit extreme but saves messing

The patch included a VR mode for viewing the environments but havnt tried it yet.

Lime

I'm having trouble getting Reshade to work with this game. I tried changing dxgi.dll to d3d11.dll but that still doesn't work. The game simply fails to launch and yes, it is in DX11 mode and I don't have any overlays running. This is the log:

20/02/2017 19:03:51:221 [19308] | INFO | > Installed 7 hook(s).
20/02/2017 19:03:51:300 [19308] | INFO | Redirecting 'D3D11CreateDevice(0000000026901530, 0, 0000000000000000, 0, 000000000014CB00, 1, 7, 0000000148900CF0, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000)' ...
20/02/2017 19:03:51:300 [19308] | INFO | > Passing on to 'D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain':
20/02/2017 19:03:51:300 [19308] | INFO | Redirecting 'D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain(0000000026901530, 0, 0000000000000000, 0, 000000000014CB00, 1, 7, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 0000000148900CF0, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000)' ...
20/02/2017 19:03:51:512 [19308] | WARN | Reference count for 'IDXGIDevice' object 00000000021C9970 is inconsistent: 2, but expected 1.
20/02/2017 19:03:51:513 [19308] | WARN | Reference count for 'IDXGIDevice' object 00000000021C9970 is inconsistent: 3221225474, but expected 1.

Anyone have any solutions?

EDIT: setting compatibility to Windows 8 solved the issue for some reason.

I'm getting 24-30 fps everything maxed out at 1080p on a 7700k@4.2ghz gtx1080@1982mhz 32gb ram@3400mhz... is that normal? I will have to drop msaa from x8 to 0 I imagine..

edit: well, changing msaa from x8 to 0 put me to 100fps... damn msaa sure is demanding.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm getting 24-30 fps everything maxed out at 1080p on a 7700k@4.2ghz gtx1080@1982mhz 32gb ram@3400mhz... is that normal? I will have to drop msaa from x8 to 0 I imagine..

edit: well, changing msaa from x8 to 0 put me to 100fps... damn msaa sure is demanding.

Termporal AA works great for me and a smaller hit then msaa

ss_lemonade

BadAss2961

From what I gather, msaa is basically increasing resolution and downsampling to whatever you're using. The options might be there, but you're not supposed to max it. Anything beyond MSAA x2 will probably cripple performance in demanding games while not making much of a difference visually. I usually opt for another AA solution.

SimplexPL

From what I gather, msaa is basically increasing resolution and downsampling to whatever you're using.
That's supersampling. Multisampling works in a bit different way, it was supposed to be a less demaning alternative to supersampling, but it has become almost completely obsolete because on deferred rendering engines it both causes a huge performance drop and has poor coverage (i.e. does not effectively antialias all edges). And almost all modern graphics engine use deferred rendering techniques.
MSAA may rise from the grave in VR, as temporal AA in VR works poorly, so more and more devs are gravitating toward forward rendering engines for VR, which makes MSAA viable again,

Pagusas

Elden Member
That's supersampling. Multisampling works in a bit different way, it was supposed to be a less demaning alternative to supersampling, but it has become almost completely obsolete because on deferred rendering engines it both causes a huge performance drop and has poor coverage (i.e. does not effectively antialias all edges). And almost all modern graphics engine use deferred rendering techniques.
MSAA may rise from the grave in VR, as temporal AA in VR works poorly, so more and more devs are gravitating toward forward rendering engines for VR, which makes MSAA viable again,

You'd think shader based AA would be preferred in VR given the performance needs.

Atolm

Yeah MSAA is a no-go with this game until 3-4 more card generations.

Doesn't really matter anyway because it has a really, really good TAA implementation.

SimplexPL

If it looked good, there would be no reason to kill performance with supersampling and trying to go back to forward renderers. It sucks as it is yet nother hurdle for VR, but that's the sad truth.

Just want to say that all my problems with jankiness/framiness went away when I dropped 980ti SLI and switched to a single 1080ti

SLI: never again

zsswimmer

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong this time around, as I have alrfeady beaten the game with fairly good graphics settings, but after deleting and reinstalling, my gtx 1080 and top end i7 doesn't even get 60fps at 1080p on medium settings. This is with DX12 enabled and disabled (doesnt seem to make a difference) and msaa off too. Wat.

JaseC

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong this time around, as I have alrfeady beaten the game with fairly good graphics settings, but after deleting and reinstalling, my gtx 1080 and top end i7 doesn't even get 60fps at 1080p on medium settings. This is with DX12 enabled and disabled (doesnt seem to make a difference) and msaa off too. Wat.

Is your GPU being utilised properly? You can use Afterburner to check clockspeeds and amount of GPU utilisation (in %).

zsswimmer

Is your GPU being utilised properly? You can use Afterburner to check clockspeeds and amount of GPU utilisation (in %).

Good question, it must not be since a 1080 can handle pretty much anything on the market it seems. I know with my old laptop (that was an MSI and I have an MSI now) I could check the nvidia control panel to see specific game settings to see if a particular game utilized the dedicated gpu or the integrated gpu which always solved most problems but whatever version of the control panel I have now doesn't have it.

If it's not being utilized though, how do I go about making sure it is?

JaseC

Good question, it must not be since a 1080 can handle pretty much anything on the market it seems. I know with my old laptop (that was an MSI and I have an MSI now) I could check the nvidia control panel to see specific game settings to see if a particular game utilized the dedicated gpu or the integrated gpu which always solved most problems but whatever version of the control panel I have now doesn't have it.

If it's not being utilized though, how do I go about making sure it is?

Setting the power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance" ought to do the trick. Nvidia CP -> Manage 3D Settings.

zsswimmer

Setting the power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance" ought to do the trick. Nvidia CP -> Manage 3D Settings.

Damn, looks like I already tried that. The game doesn't look bad on medium its just a little disappointing since my machine should be able to handle it, especially with MSAA turned off. Still fun too.

Wonder if any other 10 series users are with me on this, doing some google searches it shows I'm not the only one at least lol

horkrux

You could just right-click the executable and set it to run with the Nvidia GPU directly to see if just runs like shit in general or not.
I don't have a 10 series GPU, but I remember having that problem before when launching a particular game through Steam.

JaseC

Damn, looks like I already tried that. The game doesn't look bad on medium its just a little disappointing since my machine should be able to handle it, especially with MSAA turned off. Still fun too.

Wonder if any other 10 series users are with me on this, doing some google searches it shows I'm not the only one at least lol

Ah. The only other possibility that comes to mind, short of the issue being "just one of those things" that'd magically go away if you reinstalled Windows, is that the game is running on your integrated GPU instead of your dedicated one. As horkrux said, you should be able to force the use of the latter by right-clicking Steam\SteamApps\common\Deus Ex Mankind Divided\retail\DXMD.exe, hovering over "Run with graphics processor" and selecting "High-performance Nvidia processor".

Top Bottom