• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST RMX |OT| Gotta Go FAST

EDarkness

I'm about 99% sure at this point this game would be way, way, way better if it had no AI cars at all, and existed only as time trial racing.

I kind of agree with this. The AI in this game is terrible and it really makes it hard for me to play it, even though I want to race around the tracks and boost like crazy. Having the A.I. be such a bitch just takes me out of the game. I was hoping this was fixed in this version, but it's just as crappy as it was in Neo on the Wii U.

febLey

There's also some really BS hit detection in this game. I usually take on of the heaviest racers, and I've spun out by ramming in to the side of other lighter cars while they just merrily go on their way without budging an inch.

I've also seen some pretty annoying bumps from behind, where I'm boosting, hit the car in front of me, spin them out, while they're spinning out they're maintaining a faster speed than my boost, and when they stop spinning they're ahead of me and going faster without ever boosting. Meanwhile, if I ever get spun out my speed drops to a noticeably slower speed and I get passed.

I also have a problem with the boosts in general, they don't really effect things much, and my boosts never really seem like they're as good as the AIs.

I'm about 99% sure at this point this game would be way, way, way better if it had no AI cars at all, and existed only as time trial racing.
Yeah, I've encountered similar stuff. The AI is really killing the fun for me, the rubber banding makes it even worse.

MrPanic

Yea I feel like I have to work way to hard to win races on the easiest level.

Are you referring to subsonic? Because I would say that subsonic is definitely not the easiest level. There is definitely a difficulty curve going through each cup, but the difficulty is about the same in each league, it's just the speed of the vehicles that increase. I would even argue that subsonic is the hardest league to get 1st in simply because the AI tends to crash more often on the higher speeds.

Buggy Loop

This is really pissing me off.

This guy drives like shit and places first in the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJ2JmVJADE&t=648s

while I race a much better line, have far better times, and struggle to get 3rd place at the end of the cup.

Yeah, this game has the biggest rubber band AI i've ever seen.

hqdefault.jpg

Glass

Just purchased the game, having a blast. Noobie question, the game is '8 players local wireless' . Do I need a second copy of the game to achieve this? Since it is max 4 players to 1 console.

colon

So tell me if I got this right:
With today's patch, you can finally race against friends but there's still no way to send invites? You just choose "Online Communication (Friends)" from the menu and hope that someone on your list is doing it at the same time as you so you can get matched up? From what I can tell there's no way to just join a friend that is already racing against randoms

UCBooties

I'm playing this very sporadically between extended bouts of Zelda. I am having a hard time with even the most basic cups due to the rubber banding and its really killing my enthusiasm to try to get better at the game. No matter how well I do I seem to get bashed aside right before the finish line.

mazillion

Can anyone say if the patch fixed the rubber-banding?

I am actually still too salty want to jump back into Championship mode.

My first race in Neo Tokyo I came in 3rd, determined to get 1st on my first race in a championship I kept restarting, an HOUR later i shaved almost 15 seconds off my first time and I came in 4th place.
That's such bull, it was the cleanest race ever. I nailed every turn, got every boost and I only missed a few boost orbs.

Hegarol

Can anyone say if the patch fixed the rubber-banding?

I am actually still too salty want to jump back into Championship mode.

My first race in Neo Tokyo I came in 3rd, determined to get 1st on my first race in a championship I kept restarting, an HOUR later i shaved almost 15 seconds off my first time and I came in 4th place.
That's such bull, it was the cleanest race ever. I nailed every turn, got every boost and I only missed a few boost orbs.
In my experience the first race is always the hardest. You can easily win the cup by winning the second and third race which is way easier than the first.

So tell me if I got this right:
With today's patch, you can finally race against friends but there's still no way to send invites? You just choose "Online Communication (Friends)" from the menu and hope that someone on your list is doing it at the same time as you so you can get matched up? From what I can tell there's no way to just join a friend that is already racing against randoms

This is the issue for me. If I can't join a friend who is playing against randoms there very little usage I can get out of this patch.

me0wish

I'm experiencing terrible performance in 4 player split screen, the fps drops are all over the place making some levels almost unplayable.

I didn't have this issue before, so I guess the update ruined something? Can someone confirm please?

Picked this up yesterday to tide me over until MK8 next week and I'm having a lot of fun with it. My biggest issue with it, and it sounds like this is a common sentiment, is how hard it is to get first place even on the lowest difficulty. The AI really does seem unfair.

Other than that, I really like how it controls and it has a nice sense of speed. I like the variety of the environments as well.

MTC100

Banned
why can't I play this online? I always get a network error, downloading the game was fine through Wifi though. I don't get it, I can play everything online on my PC, so the issue surely is not my router...

I've read something about changing the DNS manually to 8.8.8.8.8 but that didn't help either, as expected >_>

I sure hope MK8DX will work online...

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
why can't I play this online? I always get a network error, downloading the game was fine through Wifi though. I don't get it, I can play everything online on my PC, so the issue surely is not my router...

I've read something about changing the DNS manually to 8.8.8.8.8 but that didn't help either, as expected >_>

I'm not sure if it impacts this game, but it might be worth checking to see if Nintendo is doing online maintenance when you've been trying to play.

Also, Switch had(/has?) a weird glitch where online services for everything on the system just randomly died for some people (myself included). I couldn't do anything involving online functionality using WiFi or Ethernet. The problem was solved quickly by turning the system off and on (not just putting it into sleep mode). Maybe try that.

Craft

Have you tried doing a full restart of the switch? I've found the Wifi can get a bit wonky sometimes and only a restart will fix it.
Do you still have access to the eshop and friends list etc?
Do you have a USB LAN adaptor you can try?

MTC100

Banned
Have you tried doing a full restart of the switch? I've found the Wifi can get a bit wonky sometimes and only a restart will fix it.
Do you still have access to the eshop and friends list etc?
Do you have a USB LAN adaptor you can try?

The Switch is on the newest firmware, the game is on its newest version too.

No adapter in reach sadly, I've restarted the system today and yesterday, didn't work, the connection just times out and the connection error appears. I'll get an USB Ethernet adapter and see how that works, though that will mean I can only play online in docked mode then(if it works)...

I don't understand what the problem is, even with my 3DS I can play online just fine without changing the DNS or anything. I've also seen a giant bomb stream some weeks ago where they also couldn't play Fast RMX online because the WiFi timed out on them all the time.

Craft

No adapter in reach sadly, I've restarted the system today and yesterday, didn't work, the connection just times out and the connection error appears. I'll get an USB Ethernet adapter and see how that works, though that will mean I can only play online in docked mode then(if it works)...

I don't understand what the problem is, even with my 3DS I can play online just fine without changing the DNS or anything. I've also seen a giant bomb stream some weeks ago where they also couldn't play Fast RMX online because the WiFi timed out on them all the time.

Maybe a blocked port or something, have you tried putting your switch in DMZ on your router?

JCH!

I just played a couple of Online games and was really underwhelmed by the other players.

I expected to get my ass handed to me but I easily won all the races. Is there a FAST GAF going on that will put me in my rightful place? (dead last)

Sounds similar to the problem I was having. My disconnections were caused by playing with a wireless controller and Wi-Fi at the same time. I couldn't even watch the 4 minute Mario Kart trailer on the eShop.

Playing handheld mode worked fine for me. But playing in table top or TV mode always disconnected. A wired connection fixed the issue for me.

After the most recent firmware update I no longer have this problem though. I don't know why it would be fixed for me but not you unless it's a different issue.

Hope it works out for you.

Kangi

You're in third place. Second and first place AI are wearing the same pair of super-elastic underwear they're so close together. All you have to do is bide your time and boost past them when you get the chance.

But you won't get the chance. Because the 4th place AI exists, and he swore on his mother's grave that he'd make the podium. He won't just pass you. He is hellbent on single-handedly destroying you and everything you love. You don't know it yet, but you brought a knife to a nuclear missile fight.

You're well-acquainted with boosting at incredible speeds in first place only for, by the grace of God, the AI to rocket past you with a fuel tank filled with nitrous oxide and Adderall. You've seen it all, and it doesn't faze you. For the sake of completion, you went back to those cups you didn't quite reach rank 1 in. But the 4th place AI has been waiting for you. He knows you. He's spent long nights, drowning himself in Red Bull, studying everything about you. He thinks you have beautiful eyes.

Through the dark tinted cockpit windows, you don't know that he has his mother's lucky handkerchief wrapped tight around his wrist. You don't know that he spent his time at the starting line applying warpaint to his face. And if you were to close your eyes and try to visualize them, you don't know in vivid detail the exact curvature of your vehicle's rear lights. But he does. And nothing will stop him from ramming them with the force of Ra himself.

He's not just going to spin you out. He is going to stay behind you and keep doing it. He is going to force your car off the track on every jump, even though he's in a Rochdale. He is going to pull ahead of you only to steal every boost orb. Then he's going to slam a wall for another chance to get behind you and unleash his rage upon your tailpipe. He will scream berserk warcries as you wonder how your life reached this point.

And then, you will reset the cup. You know where this is going. You can just try again for first place. But as you start it up again, little do you know that there's a new 4th place AI, and she's spent many long nights lying awake in bed, wondering what your blood looks like.

Great game, would recommend.

BizzyBum

Rockdale, and for some tracks Mueller (if speed is more important than handling)

Those 2 seem to be the best in the game so no surprise it's the same for TT's.

Does anyone else have slowdown on some maps now? Seems like it happens a lot when I use boost in certain spots. Definitely not a clean 60fps anymore.

EBreda

You're in third place. Second and first place AI are wearing the same pair of super-elastic underwear they're so close together. All you have to do is bide your time and boost past them when you get the chance.

But you won't get the chance. Because the 4th place AI exists, and he swore on his mother's grave that he'd make the podium. He won't just pass you. He is hellbent on single-handedly destroying you and everything you love. You don't know it yet, but you brought a knife to a nuclear missile fight.

You're well-acquainted with boosting at incredible speeds in first place only for, by the grace of God, the AI to rocket past you with a fuel tank filled with nitrous oxide and Adderall. You've seen it all, and it doesn't faze you. For the sake of completion, you went back to those cups you didn't quite reach rank 1 in. But the 4th place AI has been waiting for you. He knows you. He's spent long nights, drowning himself in Red Bull, studying everything about you. He thinks you have beautiful eyes.

Through the dark tinted cockpit windows, you don't know that he has his mother's lucky handkerchief wrapped tight around his wrist. You don't know that he spent his time at the starting line applying warpaint to his face. And if you were to close your eyes and try to visualize them, you don't know in vivid detail the exact curvature of your vehicle's rear lights. But he does. And nothing will stop him from ramming them with the force of Ra himself.

He's not just going to spin you out. He is going to stay behind you and keep doing it. He is going to force your car off the track on every jump, even though he's in a Rochdale. He is going to pull ahead of you only to steal every boost orb. Then he's going to slam a wall for another chance to get behind you and unleash his rage upon your tailpipe. He will scream berserk warcries as you wonder how your life reached this point.

And then, you will reset the cup. You know where this is going. You can just try again for first place. But as you start it up again, little do you know that there's a new 4th place AI, and she's spent many long nights lying awake in bed, wondering what your blood looks like.

How did this post go unnoticed ?

I just got this game and this Ode to 4th Place AI is spot on.
10/10 would rubber band again.

Pif

Banned
Is no one playing this anymore? Can't find any more matches, though everything was fine just a few months ago.

Bernbaum

Came to this thread for recommendations but got this war epic instead.

Is no one playing this anymore? Can't find any more matches, though everything was fine just a few months ago.

Even though they're drastically different, I think Mario Kart knocked the wind out of its sails. The game definitely deserves more players, but Shinen might need to invigorate the base with more updates, etc.

How the fuck, other than racing an impossible, literally perfect race, do I get anything near top three, let alone first place, in some of the latter cups (on the lowest difficulty)?

It's a shame because the level design is surprisingly really good and better than what the beginning tracks made me think.

Minsc

Gold Member
How the fuck, other than racing an impossible, literally perfect race, do I get anything near top three, let alone first place, in some of the latter cups (on the lowest difficulty)?

It's a shame because the level design is surprisingly really good and better than what the beginning tracks made me think.

Lowest (starting) speed is actually highest difficulty. They did it backwards. You probably also need to be using a certain car to get first, or be super lucky. I'd not be surprised if many of the cars were incapable of placing first in every track at the lower speeds.

TheMoon

6 new tracks and 2 new cups

Titanium Cup

- Tepaneca Haze
- Chuoku Habitat
- Ice Coast

Iridium Cup

- Cameron Raceway
- Sunahara Valley
- Scorpio Mine

The 6 new tracks are crossover tracks. For example, 'Scorpio Mine' is a remix/crossover from the original 'Scorpio Circuit' and 'Willard Mine' tracks.

The update also includes some other improvements and tweaks.

- The CPU-driver AI has been improved
- A hang on the loading screen that happened when your Switch wasn't powered down for a month has been resolved
- Friend Online plays are now shown in yours
- Switch console 'Friend Activity log'

The update will be available today at 8:00 PDT.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/exclusive_heres_whats_in_todays_free_fast_rmx_remix_update

someone please report later if it helps.

Huh, for some reason this game looks nicer in motion than I remembered.... Clearer for some reason.

Of course all the new content is gated behind a cup I'm having a difficult time with 😐

mazillion

Oh sweet, they improved the AI? I hope they tweaked the rubber-banding because it was way too strong.

That was my biggest complaint with the game, as you can probably see earlier in this thread.

If they have dialed back rubber banding for the first place AI car it should be a lot nicer, sometimes they can shoot half a track ahead and near impossible to catch.

TheMoon

Oh sweet, they improved the AI? I hope they tweaked the rubber-banding because it was way too strong.

That was my biggest complaint with the game, as you can probably see earlier in this thread.

They already "improved" the AI in the previous patch and people barely noticed anything different so don't get your hopes up.

Seik

Banned
Time to buy pretty soon now I guess.

Still on fence due to the hope that an eventual physical version happens.

If you don't have an automatic update push you can press Minus on the game icon and manually check for updates, don't forget about that feature like I did for the last 45 minutes.

Gave the first cup a spin, can't say much about the AI right now as i've not played it for months but the new tracks feel like they are remixed well, some of them borrow the hazards from other circuits and then completely change the stage lighting too, giving them all a fresh new feeling.

Top Bottom