• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oldies stations are playing 80s music now

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Switched it over to an oldies station because I was sick of listening about Trump on NPR and they were playing "Girls just wanna have fun"

This is what getting old feels like.

entremet

What do you think older generations said when this happened to them lol.

Same thing happened.

Also see Nick At Night. From I Love Lucy to Welcome Back Kotter.

Zombine

Banned
The problem I see with the transition from Pop to Oldies and Rock to Classic rock is that nobody is filling the void. With the rise of the digital age and the state of music being entirely throwaway trash, we are going to need a miracle to see some truly strong movements in music because all our heroes are dead or dying or still out there doing their thing.

Woffls

Looking forward to a decade from now when this thread is made about the 90s and someone says "Well I guess this is growing up".

Ban Puncher

NFrntr.jpg

I don't like when new things become older either. The old things are already the old things. There needs to be new words for things that are old but are still new because they were new at a time when being new meant something and it wasn't all just watered down retreads.

What do you think older generations said when this happened to them lol.

Same thing happened.

Also see Nick At Night. From I Love Lucy to Welcome Back Kotter.
Welcome Back Kotter was not when Nick at Nite changed for the worst. that came when they stopped showing everything from I love Lucy, my three sons, green acres, Happy Days and welcome back Kotter all together.

Edit: I haven't listened to FM since satellite radio, I think today's hip hop sucks so I only listen to the 90's rap station, the Frank Sinatra station and then the 50's, 60's 70's, 80's stations.

The problem I see with the transition from Pop to Oldies and Rock to Classic rock is that nobody is filling the void. With the rise of the digital age and the state of music being entirely throwaway trash, we are going to need a miracle to see some truly strong movements in music because all our heroes are dead or dying or still out there doing their thing.

There are oldie stations that only play 90's hip-hop and contemporary R&B

Grizzo

Oldies have been 80s for a while now..

Yeah I don't get it, in France we have a station called Nostalgie (Nostalgia) which only play oldies, and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun has always been a staple in their playlist for as long as I can remember.

When oldies stations start playing Jennifer Lopez's If You Had My Love or Britney Spears' Baby One More Time, then that will feel a bit weird.

I always wonder about the people at the oldies stations managing this stuff.

When do they decide to make the transitions?

Every year do they drop their oldest year of music and gain a newer year? I doubt most of them are so organized.

Is it suddenly a big expense when they add the entirety of the 80s to their catalogue?

How do the employees feel about it, not being able to play their favorite music anymore - or possibly starting to play music they enjoy more, for all we know?

One local station near me mostly plays contemporary pop, but every weekend is an 80s weekend...they aren't exactly an oldies station, but does this mean they're morphing into one slowly?

At other times they used to play "70s, 80s and 90s" and at some point that became the "80s, 90s, and today."

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I kind of can't wait until they play 00's-10's on oldies. Like all of the music you like in one place is a dream. Too bad radio will be dead by then.

Zombine

Banned
There are oldie stations that only play 90's hip-hop and contemporary R&B

Depending on the market, yes.

My argument is more in regards to the talent gap. We don't get lightening in a bottle or huge movements this day and age. Most of the same artists (from the late 60s onward) that have the capability to tour and release records still do. The current (dire) climate in music and how we consume it on a daily basis has kept a lot of new acts from achieving true success.

We don't have many acts stepping up and taking over for Run DMC, The Stones, KRS-One, Nas, The Beatles, Zeppelin, etc. because the talent pool is drying up, music is super derivative and has a McDonald's like delivery only the menu is changing weekly.

How many Lou Reed's are we hearing on the radio today? Prince and Michael are dead and all we have left are Great Value imitators. If this strange gap continues and nobody "replaces" these artists, we're still going to have the same shit from 75 years ago on heavy rotation on our stations.

Rad-

The hell? They have been playing those for ages. They actually sometimes play early 2000's music in oldies station where I live.

Depending on the market, yes.

My argument is more in regards to the talent gap. We don't get lightening in a bottle or huge movements this day and age. Most of the same artists (from the late 60s onward) that have the capability to tour and release records still do. The current (dire) climate in music and how we consume it on a daily basis has kept a lot of new acts from achieving true success.

We don't have many acts stepping up and taking over for Run DMC, The Stones, KRS-One, Nas, The Beatles, Zeppelin, etc. because the talent pool is drying up, music is super derivative and has a McDonald's like delivery only the menu is changing weekly.

How many Lou Reed's are we hearing on the radio today? Prince and Michael are dead and all we have left are Great Value imitators. If this strange gap continues and nobody "replaces" these artists, we're still going to have the same shit from 75 years ago on heavy rotation on our stations.

LOL I think you need to listen to more music. LOL @ Great Value imitators. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Terrorblot

Ugh not this again. Culture is not decaying, you're just old.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Once I heard Nirvana on a classic rock station like 5+ years ago, I figured I should find a nice retirement community.

Gonna be weird when they're playing emo music in a few years

Bacon

I kind of can't wait until they play 00's-10's on oldies. Like all of the music you like in one place is a dream. Too bad radio will be dead by then.

I'm sure there is a spotify playlist of music from the 00's-10's that you can listen to right now. What a dream come true

bjork

Switched it over to an oldies station because I was sick of listening about Trump on NPR and they were playing "Girls just wanna have fun"

This is what getting old feels like.

to be fair, I would hear that song in like 1988 and go "this song is old, play something new'

Staf

Haven't heard any 80s on oldies station so far. But this thread bums me out. Thanks for making me feel old OP.

I listen to a 60s, 70s, and 80s station cause they play a lot of Motown and you can't get a lot of the songs they play elsewhere on the radio. I wish they did 50s, 60s, and 70s though. I gravitated away from the 80s rock commonly found on classic rock stations to older stuff.

Davey Cakes

I'd rather hear 80s on the oldies stations than 90s on the classic rock stations. And, it's better than oldies stations being replaced outright by Top 40 pop stations.

Not that I even listen to the radio anymore.

smurfx

get some go again
can't stay at 50's or 60's music forever since the people who would most likely listen to the music are dying off.

Looking forward to a decade from now when this thread is made about the 90s and someone says "Well I guess this is growing up".

Clever.

This thread makes me think of a Margaret Cho special from the 90s where she was all "can you imagine when we're 80 in the nursing home and say 'turn up the oldies station, it's Hungry Like the Wolf!'"

So I see where OP is coming from; Cho thought they'd still be playing 80s music on the radio in 2040. That's actually when the oldies station will start playing "baby hold me closer in the backseat of your rover..."

Moff

70s songs were oldies in the early 90s, so songs not even 15 years old.

that would be a song from 2002 today, like whenever by shakira

I don't think it works that way though, pre 80s will always be the oldies
the 80s were just too weird and changed everything

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What fucked me up is when Nick at Nite started airing Fresh Prince and Home Improvement.

If you really want to turn to dust, a time adjusted Wonder Years series would take place in 1997. Also, The Wonder Years was showing events that took place about 20 years previous. Almost 30 years have passed since its premiere.

There are kids about to graduate high school that literally don't remember 9/11. They know about it, but they probably don't remember it because they were infants.

LionPride

Banned
What fucked me up is when Nick at Nite started airing Fresh Prince and Home Improvement.

If you really want to turn to dust, a time adjusted Wonder Years series would take place in 1997. Also, The Wonder Years was showing events that took place about 20 years previous. Almost 30 years have passed since its premiere.

There are kids about to graduate high school that literally don't remember 9/11. They know about it, but they probably don't remember it because they were infants.
Hey, that's me! My first memory is my third Birthday party so yeah, 9/11 is not in there at all

70s songs were oldies in the early 90s, so songs not even 15 years old.

that would be a song from 2002 today, like whenever by shakira

I don't think it works that way though, pre 80s will always be the oldies
the 80s were just too weird and changed everything

Well old school hip hop is considered 80's, but the older we get and the more years that separate us from that era; I'm starting to see more people include 90's hip-hop under "old school" now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom