• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

ShaneB

Are Led Zeppelin considered metalish? I've always just considered them a bluesy rock band. Listening to the Black Sabbath catalogue has me wondering some, too, since a lot of it just sounds like what we used to call "rock." It's stellar, I just struggle to categorize those bands.

Also, LOVING Motorhead so far. That freaking grumbling bass and those vocals are a-okay in my book.

As a note, "Metal" wasn't exactly the term of use back then. So while Zeppelin clearly influenced plenty of metal bands as well, it's not like they were wondering what genre they were back then. It was basically rock music as you said.

e_i

Are Led Zeppelin considered metalish? I've always just considered them a bluesy rock band. Listening to the Black Sabbath catalogue has me wondering some, too, since a lot of it just sounds like what we used to call "rock." It's stellar, I just struggle to categorize those bands.

Also, LOVING Motorhead so far. That freaking grumbling bass and those vocals are a-okay in my book.

Led Zeppelin? I don't consider them metal. Hard rock yes. Metal no. Black Sabbath is a metal band, although by today's classfications, I consider them sludge, or stoner metal.

The previous mention of Kreator made me revisit them, because ANY excuse is the right one to listen to them. As phenomenal as old Kreator is, Hordes of Chaos remains one of my favorite metal songs

That gee dee main riff is so goddam awesome, and the, uh, breakdown? (sounds like a "hardcore" word) is fantastic as well. This song is the definition of accessible riffed glory. Unlike many songs that rely on technical and progressive tendencies these days, I was able to understand precisely why my neck was throwing itself into disarray the first time I heard it.

Up the horns this weekend, mofos

The previous mention of Kreator made me revisit them, because ANY excuse is the right one to listen to them. As phenomenal as old Kreator is, Hordes of Chaos remains one of my favorite metal songs

That gee dee main riff is so goddam awesome, and the, uh, breakdown? (sounds like a "hardcore" word) is fantastic as well. This song is the definition of accessible riffed glory. Unlike many songs that rely on technical and progressive tendencies these days, I was able to understand precisely why my neck was throwing itself into disarray the first time I heard it.

Up the horns this weekend, mofos

I feel that a bunch of these shitty bands heavily rely on monotonous rhythm, excessive palm muting now, and breakdowns. Actual riffing seems to be a lost thing.

Speaking of Kreator, one of my favorite fist-banging moments from the middle onwards:
Kreator - Toxic Trace

Ushiwaka

We're gonna have new albums from Tool, Eluveitie, Origin, Mastodon and so many other bands this year. So hyped. Its going to be fucking awesome.

Watevaman

You know, when A Twist in the Myth came out I really didn't like it compared to BG's earlier stuff, but now I find it a relief to listen to songs like Turn the Page to relax. Such a beautiful song and the album is very lighthearted.

Caladrius

We're gonna have new albums from Tool, Eluveitie, Origin, Mastodon and so many other bands this year. So hyped. Its going to be fucking awesome.

Indeed.

I hope Origin announces the release date soon though. I have a Tech Death itch that needs scratching.

You know, when A Twist in the Myth came out I really didn't like it compared to BG's earlier stuff, but now I find it a relief to listen to songs like Turn the Page to relax. Such a beautiful song and the album is very lighthearted.

I feel mostly the same way. While there's a couple I still don't like much (Lionheart sticks out from memory), the album grew on me.

what the hell, is this going to be like the time I discovered Def Leppard's first album was actually good?

That's what I get for only knowing Twisted Sister's radio hits

Snap, isn't Eluveitie dropping Evocations II? I love the first one, it's such a chill record. My friend and I would always spin it on our way home from shows, it's always a great one to unwind to

I've never heard Origin, and for some reason haven't gotten around to checking out Tool yet either (other than a few random tracks from Lateralus), but I'm definitely excited for Mastodon. And the new Blind Guardian album will potentially drop this year too! Speaking of which...

I love A Twist in the Myth. The first four tracks are all great, giving the album a really strong start. It loses SOME momentum after that, but weaker Blind Guardian songs are akin to the least attractive supermodels.

I actually really like the song Lionheart, primarily because of the lyrics and because of the solo (which for some reason always reminds me of Donkey Kong Country 2, for as little sense as that makes). And Skalds and Shadows, while no Bard's Song, is still kickass

That being said, At The Edge of Time was a better record in almost every respect, and is in fact my third favorite BG album.

what the hell, is this going to be like the time I discovered Def Leppard's first album was actually good?

Yeah, probably :)
To be fair, I think Twisted Sister's XMas album is a hoot as well (though not as good as Rob Halford's XMas album...I mention it due to recently having a discussion about, and lamenting the small amount of Metal XMas music, so its been on my mind)

That being said, At The Edge of Time was a better record in almost every respect, and is in fact my third favorite BG album.

I'm about with you on that and your opinions on Twist in the Myth, Edge of Time is probably my 4th favorite...we've probably got an album juxtaposed.

ShaneB

The same can be said for many 80s metal bands that seemed to have that one big pop hit that everyone knows.

Ushiwaka

Snap, isn't Eluveitie dropping Evocations II? I love the first one, it's such a chill record. My friend and I would always spin it on our way home from shows, it's always a great one to unwind to

I've never heard Origin, and for some reason haven't gotten around to checking out Tool yet either (other than a few random tracks from Lateralus), but I'm definitely excited for Mastodon. And the new Blind Guardian album will potentially drop this year too! Speaking of which...

No, Eluveitie's new album is not Evocation II. The band said its going to be a metal album. Although I love Evocation and I think its a very beautiful piece of art, I'm kinda happy that their new album is not Evo II. I need one more metal album from Eluveitie before Evo II :D

You should definitely check out Origin. Very good Technical Death band. I would recommend starting with Entity, cause its my favorite Origin album :p Tool is a must, too. IMO, start with Lateralus, then Aenima, 10000 Days, Undertow and Opiate. The early albums are more crazy and intense.

Cool I didn't know about new Blind Guardian album! Awesome.

Lord Mantis, Cult Leader, and Autopsy next month!

Awesome!

Definitely waiting for the new Autopsy album.

Yeah, probably :)
To be fair, I think Twisted Sister's XMas album is a hoot as well (though not as good as Rob Halford's XMas album...I mention it due to recently having a discussion about, and lamenting the small amount of Metal XMas music, so its been on my mind)

I'm about with you on that and your opinions on Twist in the Myth, Edge of Time is probably my 4th favorite...we've probably got an album juxtaposed.
Oh man, both of those christmas albums sound excellent. I'll try my damnedest to remember to check into them next time the holiday season hits.

Blind Guardian list time! I'll just go ahead and do my top five favorite albums (and will exclude their compilation and live albums)

Blind-Guardian-Nightfall-in-Middle-Earth.jpg

Okay, so halfway through I realized I may as well just rank all of them :p I have a feeling Follow The Blind will eventually climb my ranks given the way my metal taste has been developing the past couple of years, but I'll revisit the bands discography closer to the release of the new album.

Seeing all of those albums laid out though... it's absolutely incredible how consistent the band is. Not a bad record on the list.

<3

I hadn't heard this one, but I like it a lot. I've really only listened to Operation: Mindcrime and their newest, but I'll check out the album the song you linked to is from.

No, Eluveitie's new album is not Evocation II. The band said its going to be a metal album. Although I love Evocation and I think its a very beautiful piece of art, I'm kinda happy that their new album is not Evo II. I need one more metal album from Eluveitie before Evo II :D

You should definitely check out Origin. Very good Technical Death band. I would recommend starting with Entity, cause its my favorite Origin album :p Tool is a must, too. IMO, start with Lateralus, then Aenima, 10000 Days, Undertow and Opiate. The early albums are more crazy and intense.

But we've already had TWO metal albums from them since the first Evocations! Oh well, I'll still listen and enjoy it.

I'm not super into tech death, but I'll check out Entity regardless.

Yes, Tool is on my list, I just haven't had the time to sit down and properly explore them. Their records seem incredibly dense, so it seems like I'd need to devote a sizable chunk of time to making sure I can appreciate the intricacies of even one album, let alone the best from their entire discography. Eventually I will though :)

Continuing through my journey of year end lists, I just stumbled across this gem:

I'll let the blurb from said year end list do the talking:

"3 songs, 50 minutes, one take. If Battle of the Peak sounds like a demo recorded in some dude’s garage, that’s because it is. The tracks pan at odd times, there’s tape hiss everywhere and I’d be surprised if more than three mikes were used to capture the aural wizardry. Get it on cassette for maximum cult points. And for the fact that it’s packaged like a Super Nintendo game cart. And it’s based on a pivotal moment in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. And it sounds like an unholy triad of Rush, Mastodon and High on Fire."

Link to full album

Apparently the band had 99 cassette tapes of the record available to buy, in a custom packaged "SNES box". How badass is that?

Curious GAF. Do you prefer A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon, or Transilvanian Hunger? Or something outside of those albums?

Out of all of those albums, I'll probably pick Hunger, but Blaze is an amazing album as well. Under a Funeral Moon I'm not that hot on.

A Blaze In The Northern Sky as there are still traces of death metal all over it from their previous album.

Transilvanian Hunger is a close second. Very hypnotic, stiff, and cold.

a while ago i recommended Matthias Steele as one of the best kept secrets from the US power metal scene. this time i bring you an even better (but not as hidden) recommendation, Cauldron Born. this is some good old-school shit, especially the first album.

97_born_of_the_cauldron.jpg

In Fate's Eye a King (these fuckin riffs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPFphMU_y0A

Unholy Sanctuary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHvaGXRO8uw

Sinchronicity at Midnight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vwilTo-QtM

02_and_rome_shall_fall.jpg

Blood Bath in the Arena (DEATH ON WINGS WILL FLYYYYYYYYYY great chorus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja8K3Z1h7qo

Finder of the Black Stone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xj02eUmfvY

Storming the Castle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_kciXj3m2g

Ah yes, nothing like getting sloshammered on the sabbath so you can start your work week off with some delicious pain.

Also that album art is bloody amazing. I love the line in the song, "What did I do?!"

Well mack, you had an entire goddam handle of Jack Daniels before crushing five more beers, gingerly sipping the tops of a few forties, and chugging half a bottle of bourbon.

The dude clearly performed some pact with the devil through stabbing his teddy bear to stave off alcohol poisoning

Kaladin

So....Mayhem Fest is a whole lot of suck this year.

Full Lineup
Avenged Sevenfold
Korn
Asking Alexandria
Trivium
Cannibal Corpse
Suicide Silence
Miss May I
Mushroomhead
Emmure
Texas Hippie Coalition
Veil Of Maya
Upon A Burning Body
Darkest Hour
Body Count
Ill Nino
Wretched
Sister Sin
Islander
King 810
Erimha

I know, there are a few in there that some of us would go see, but I wouldn't pay for a lawn ticket to see one or two of the day bands in a 30 minute set in a hot ass parking lot.

Top Bottom