• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ozark - Official Trailer (Netflix original series starring Jason Bateman)

hydruxo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hAXVqrljbs

Ozark: Their Last Resort. Coming July 21st, only on Netflix. The Byrdes, husband and wife Marty (Jason Bateman) and Wendy (Laura Linney), their teenage kids Charlotte (Sofia Hublitz) and Jonah (Skylar Gaertner) -- are for all intents and purposes an ordinary family. Ordinary save for Marty’s job: The top money launderer for the second largest drug cartel in Mexico.

louiedog

I hope it's in UHD. It seems like most in the last few months have been so hopefully that'll hold true for their originals going forward when possible.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Looks good.

Didn't have room haha. I included it originally but I couldn't fit it all.

Can't wait for this show though. Looks great.

?

"Netflix's Ozark official trailer (Bateman, Linney)"

Probably could have even put their first names.

hydruxo

Looks good.

?

"Netflix's Ozark official trailer (Bateman, Linney)"

Probably could have even put their first names.

I admit I tried to fit Netflix original series in there instead of just Netflix so that took up a lot of room. It's really not a big deal though, like can we can just talk about the actual show instead of the title? lmao

Bateman is good because everyone type casts him as the lovably goofy guy from Arrested Development.

So when we get things like The Gift where
Bateman is a horrible human being
, The Kingdom
Where he gets kidnapped after being the comedic relief for the entire movie and is being filmed with a knife to his throat to be beheaded on a video
, and this where apparently he's working for the cartel, it always sends people through a loop.

It looks halfway interesting but I feel like I have seen better versions of this show in Narcos, Justified, and Breaking Bad. I also wonder how they can keep up the pace and story for very long.

It would be amazing if the show "solves" its central issue, namely a drug lord is after a family and wants his money back, and pivots to something else but instead shows like this tend to Scooby Doo the problem and just have the guy eternally chasing the family, which gets pretty unbelievable after a while.

Bateman is good because everyone type casts him as the lovably goofy guy from Arrested Development.

So when we get things like The Gift where
Bateman is a horrible human being
, The Kingdom
Where he gets kidnapped after being the comedic relief for the entire movie and is being filmed with a knife to his throat to be beheaded on a video
, and this where apparently he's working for the cartel, it always sends people through a loop.
Yeah he was in a string of shitty comedies after AD and I'd all but given up hope on him and then saw him in The Gift.

Aselith

I just caught the preview for this on Netflix and it looks fucking awesome. Really excited for this one! Jason Bateman doesn't do a ton of dramas lately but he's a great actor, I think he's gonna kill it here.

Tagg9

Shit, this looks awesome! And it's getting good reviews.

I'm surprised there isn't more buzz around this.

DiscoJer

People here in Missouri are somewhat salty because it was shot in Georgia. With like a day's shooting of exteriors around the lake.

The thing with Bateman though is that his first show was a really dark comedy, It's Your Move. Basically he and the first husband of Marcy on Married w/ Children would cook up elaborate plots to destroy each other'. He basically played a sociopath on that show.

jts

...hate me...
Breaking Bad was far from the first work to be about a regular guy/good person/not-so-good person to get into crime to help his family/make money/etc and then everything falls apart
Sure, but it is kinda too iconic and contemporary not to draw comparisons to. Not saying it as a bad thing though, it certainly is cool for Netflix to have that kind of show in their stables.

Donos

Before Homecoming, there was a trailer of the new Tom Cruise movie which looked similar to this. ("normal" guy getting into Cartel business)

Nyx

Goddamn, that first episode does not fuck around.

Yeah, it was a really great first episode.

Didn't even hear of this show before noticing this thread earlier today, going to watch some more of this in the weekend.

Fisty

Haven't enjoyed Bateman since Extract but saw the trailer for this and thought it looked really intriguing. Will watch.

Top Bottom