• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Burr and Nia discuss ways to deal with sexism/homophobia

Gleethor

Look no further than the YouTube comments to find the poor misguided racists, sexists and homophobes that Bill wants to sit down and have a conversation with.

Slo

I love Bill Burr, and I like his stance on this. I also hate it when people launch into canned, rehearsed monologues whenever a topic that they have an opinion about comes up like Nia did here.

"If you don't agree 100% with me, then you're completely wrong" don't fix anything, and is more about the person getting themselves off.

Look no further than the YouTube comments to find the poor misguided racists, sexists and homophobes that Bill wants to sit down and have a conversation with.

Yeesh. So many people insta-referring to Nia as "dumb cunt" and so on.

: /

My main knowledge of Bill Burr is anecdotal as my friend listens to his podcast - apparently he once claimed wage gap/inequality was a myth (?) - but he sounds *this* far from saying PoC have to extend an Olive Branch to David Duke or something.

Boke1879

I love Bill Burr, and I like his stance on this. I also hate it when people launch into canned, rehearsed monologues whenever a topic that they have an opinion about comes up like Nia did here.

"If you don't agree 100% with me, then you're completely wrong" don't fix anything, and is more about the person getting themselves off.

Nah. I'm just not going to waste my time with people who feel I should be eradicated from the Earth.

Nia taking Burr's soul in this shit.

It's 2017. Get with the times or get left behind. Society shouldn't have to slow down progress for bigots to catch up.

Syder

Easy to say he has the answer to the situation when he's sat in the power position of a wealthy, white male.

Just listen to the podcast he did with Joe Rogan after Trump was inaugurated, they're joking around and saying "don't worry, everything will be okay"
Yeah, of course it will be fine... FOR YOU !

Being homophobic [or bigoted in any manner] isn't a valid 'viewpoint' or 'opinion' any more.

moggio

Banned
Do I want to waste my time listening to a professional bellend discuss homophobia and sexism?

I'll give it a miss, thanks

Slo

Nah. I'm just not going to waste my time with people who feel I should be eradicated from the Earth.

That solution would actually probably work too, but my guess is that you're only going to talk tough on a message board and not actually implement it.

Jombie

Given the type of discussion he usually spurs and his dumb comments after the election - "nothing will change!" - I don't know how to feel about Burr most of the time.

RedHill

Banned
Why do people think we need to hear out bigots? After living my entire life experiencing homophobia, I'm exhausted. I have no patience for it anymore. There isn't an excuse.

And they probably want you eradicated from the Earth as well. So now ya got two lunatics bitching about how the other should be eradicated.

You uh, need to reread what you replied to there, buddy.

Slo

Nia taking Burr's soul in this shit.

It's 2017. Get with the times or get left behind. Society shouldn't have to slow down progress for bigots to catch up.

I can get behind the survival-of-the-fittest mentality. That's my preferred stance on most topics.

Most of Bill's podcasts are boring as fuck (I unsubbed a while ago after the 40th drum discussion) but this was comedy gold.

You hear this same discussion on neogaf all the time.

this was from april 2017 tho, not a recent one. It seems even older given the clipper owner stuff was from like what, 2-3 years ago?

Shauni

That solution would actually probably work too, but my guess is that you're only going to talk tough on a message board and not actually implement it.

He's not going to be tough enough to not do something lol. Either you misread or you really don't understand what he's trying to say at all

Poppy

cant believe you fuckers are so eager to reply to someone you disagree with that you cant even parse a sentence on a message board for christ's sakes

but you keep on fighting the good fight, to make sure people who feel that privileged white society is ignoring their problems know that they should stop being so dramatic and should solve their problems by being more understanding

Ah, bill with the ol' "Everybody says homophobic, sexist and racist things in private, so nobody should lose their jobs for it" angle.

Whitesplaining is a powerful fuckin' drug.

Boke1879

I'll say that maybe my post was worded badly? I thought it made sense.

But what I'm saying is. I'm not going to extend an olive branch or sit down with someone who makes racist or sexist comments and feel like they aren't doing anything wrong.

"sit down and talk with them". Nah won't waste my time there got other shit to worry about than trying to change the mind of an arrogant, sexist bigot.

Also his comments about people getting fired for making those types of comments seem short sighted. If a teacher called on of his students the N-word or said girls are inferior to boys. Of course they'd be let go. At the very least suspended.

Rayis

I remember I listened to a podcast with them before and I had to stop because of how much he was screaming like a lunatic at her to shut up.

Shauni

But what I'm saying is. I'm not going to extend an olive branch or sit down with someone who makes racist or sexist comments and feel like they aren't doing anything wrong.

"sit down and talk with them". Nah won't waste my time there got other shit to worry about than trying to change the mind of an arrogant, sexist bigot.

Also his comments about people getting fired for making those types of comments seem short sighted. If a teacher called on of his students the N-word or said girls are inferior to boys. Of course they'd be let go. At the very least suspended.

Nah, your post is fine, there's just so many wanting that hot take they read too fast to get that gotcha

moggio

Banned
Well... You already wasted time posting that, so maybe.

Took me about 3 seconds, mate.

That video is over an hour.

Perhaps I need to take some of those brain supplements Bill shills that don't work to tolerate the cunt for any length of time.

Syder

I agree with you, maybe you should have said eradicated from polite society rather than existence.

Last time I checked on him he was a big fan of Alex Jones and legit believed in the impending collapse of society
Huh, I thought he was a guy who, while he likes conspiracy theories, is actually a fairly liberal/moderate who downplays it because it's not interesting.

He learned to fly a helicopter because he thought it was the best way to escape L.A. when it all comes crashing down.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
has anyone ever asked a homophobe if they want someone to sit down and talk to them about human rights

what's the peer-reviewed research say about the "sit down and talk" solution

keeps getting presented as some sort of gold standard in human conditioning, just curious

The Dink

I love Bill Burr but man... That is one one-sided comments section. Shouldn't be too surprised given the channel but damn.

Even Bill says the odds of success of talking someone out of their shit beliefs is 10%.

So get on it, minorities! Waste 90% of your available time and eventually the problem will get just a tiny bit better! Bill Burr with the answers, ladies and gentlemen, and now we've solved the problem of him getting mad when racists lose their jobs.

Top Bottom