• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

PK Gaming

I think you can immediately see the difference in the writing teams for the spinoffs and the team for P5.

Did we ever learn who the writers for P3/4 were? Same writers working on P5? Did they ever touch the spinoffs?

The person who wrote Persona Q was also responsible planning the social links in Persona 3 & 4. They had assistance from a sub scenario writer from Persona 4 as well.

Persona 4 Dancing All Night shares a couple of its writers with Persona 4 (with Wada as a director). One of the writers (Yuichiro Tanaka) is absent from all spinoffs.

Yuichiro Tanaka seems to be the X-factor, since he's only involved in the mainline Persona games.

Don't know/care about the Arena/Ultima writers. Ultimax apparently had like 5 writers though.

I can't imagine the writers being the only reason why the writing is good/bad. Time is probably a huge factor as well.

Lynx_7

I just remembered a big pet peeve of mine that I hope doesn't happen again in P5, which is another Heaven situation where you get to this emotionally charged point in the story and the fucking cheerful battle theme you've heard for the last 60 hours keeps interrupting the actual appropriate music for the moment. IIRC it even restarts the music from the beginning everytime you get out of a fight, right? Come on Atlus, so many JRPGs do it right in these sort of "special" moments. Just let the background music keep playing over the battles, easy.

While we're at it, I feel like these games are way too long for a single standard battle theme. I hope they at least give us the option to change it later in the game.

Lunar15

The person who wrote Persona Q was also responsible planning the social links in Persona 3 & 4. They had assistance from a sub scenario writer from Persona 4 as well.

Persona 4 Dancing All Night shares a couple of its writers with Persona 4 (with Wada as a director). One of the writers (Yuichiro Tanaka) is absent from all spinoffs.

Yuichiro Tanaka seems to be the X-factor, since he's only involved in the mainline Persona games.

Don't know/care about the Arena/Ultima writers. Ultimax apparently had like 5 writers though.

I can't imagine the writers being the only reason why the writing is good/bad. Time is probably a huge factor as well.

Well, time and the constraint of the fact that they were planning other spinoffs, so they couldn't really have the characters change, grow, or really show any development at any point in time.

They're also concepts born of gameplay contrivance, not a need or desire to tell a specific story or build certain characters. "Everyone has to fight now" pretty much makes you throw common sense out the window. That's not to say it couldn't have been done better, but I feel like it was just low priority at that point.

I'm coming with you.

For any one who'd be interested, here's a long ass Hashino interview about Persona 5.

Been waiting for this. Thanks for putting it up, and thanks to Mystic & Crimsonfist for translating!

I just remembered a big pet peeve of mine which I hope doesn't happen again in P5, which is another Heaven situation where you get to this emotionally charged point in the story and the fucking cheerful battle theme you've heard for the last 60 hours keeps interrupting the actual appropriate music for the moment. IIRC it even restarts the music from the beginning everytime you get out of a fight, right? Come on Atlus, so many JRPGs do it right in these sort of "special" moments. Just let the background music keep playing over the battles, easy.

While we're at it, I feel like these games are way too long for a single standard battle theme. I hope they at least give us the option to change it later in the game.

Best example of a game doing this correctly? Final Fantasy 7.

Spoilers for a 20 year old game below.
The Jenova fight after Aerith's death doesnt play the Jenova battle theme, it just carries on playing Aerith's theme and it's the best!

Best example of a game doing this correctly? Final Fantasy 7.

Spoilers for a 20 year old game below.
The Jenova fight after Aerith's death doesnt play the Jenova battle theme, it just carries on playing Aerith's theme and it's the best!

I can't stand that overbearing song and even I can appreciate how it doesn't break tone.

Setsu00

Yuichiro Tanaka worked on Arena 1 according to the artbook.

I just remembered a big pet peeve of mine that I hope doesn't happen again in P5, which is another Heaven situation where you get to this emotionally charged point in the story and the fucking cheerful battle theme you've heard for the last 60 hours keeps interrupting the actual appropriate music for the moment. IIRC it even restarts the music from the beginning everytime you get out of a fight, right? Come on Atlus, so many JRPGs do it right in these sort of "special" moments. Just let the background music keep playing over the battles, easy.

We already know that they do this during the intro

cj_iwakura

Consistency is important. Satomi Tadashi wrote P1 and P2 and the resulting nuances show.

Rutger

Banned
They're also concepts born of gameplay contrivance, not a need or desire to tell a specific story or build certain characters. "Everyone has to fight now" pretty much makes you throw common sense out the window. That's not to say it couldn't have been done better, but I feel like it was just low priority at that point.

This is the main thing, all the spinoffs are gameplay first. It's odd that Atlus wants to call them all "canon" when the stories are such a low priority to these games and they aren't going to matter in the main games. It's fanservice, even if P4A had the whole P4 team working on it I doubt the story would have been anything special, the character's story arcs are already over and the game really only exists so people can use their favorite character in a fighting game.

I go into the spinoffs expecting as much, so it hasn't really bothered me. :/

asagami_

Banned
Consistency is important. Satomi Tadashi wrote P1 and P2 and the resulting nuances show.

I wonder how is his work in Caligula. Knowing him I expect something interesting, but who knows. At least the trailers gives me a different vibe that a lot Megaten/Persona wannabes have.

Lunar15

This is the main thing, all the spinoffs are gameplay first. It's odd that Atlus wants to call them all "canon" when the stories are such a low priority to these games and they aren't going to matter in the main games. It's fanservice, even if P4A had the whole P4 team working on it I doubt the story would have been anything special, the character's story arcs are already over and the game really only exists so people can use their favorite character in a fighting game.

I go into the spinoffs expecting as much, so it hasn't really bothered me. :/

They say it's canon so people will buy it.

Lunar15

huh, atlus is blocking streaming of almost the entirety of persona 5 on ps4 dvr? wtf

It's shitty, but given that this game is so story driven, they don't want people just watching the whole thing.

It'll still get out there, of course, but they're obviously going to stymie it wherever they can.

Zolo

I heard somewhere about it being limited to your main team, but I don't think it was official. It would make sense though since I think only one S. Link aside from the main team has a girl that's around your own age. That said, a playstation blog only mentioned romancing people of the opposite-sex (though it could have been generalizing or whatever else).

Sophia

It's shitty, but given that this game is so story driven, they don't want people just watching the whole thing.

It'll still get out there, of course, but they're obviously going to stymie it wherever they can.

It's unfortunate, but that's the nature of doing a story heavy game in this day and age.

I don't think taking a hostile course of action towards the consumer is the right thing to do, however.

The previews have all phrased it as just your female teammates, and so far there are only
two
teenage non-teammate SLinks revealed and
only one of them is a girl
, so.

Setsu00

So do we know yet who is dateable and who isn't?
Yusuke....

I have no idea about Yusuke. Originally I thought that his CM killed any chance of him being dateable, but considering that he gives the MC the same treatment in The Day Breakers that Anne gets in his trailer, there might be a slight chance that he is indeed dateable.

DNAbro

The previews have all phrased it as just your female teammates, and so far there are only
two
teenage non-teammate SLinks revealed and
only one of them is a girl
, so.

Wasn't it just the PS Blog post?

Still just gonna wait till people play it to confirm or not. If not oh well, Futaba and Makoto are cool.

Wasn't it just the PS Blog post?

Still just gonna wait till people play it to confirm or not. If not oh well, Futaba and Makoto are cool.

I don't believe that the P5 blog post said anything implying that it would be limited to just party members.

Setsu00

I wonder if that comes from Sega, they do it with Yakuza too.

I doubt it. Atlus has always been super cautious when it comes to spoilers and even asked fans to not spoil the story. I'm sure they're glad there is some kind of mechanism that at least makes it harder to share story secrets.

.JayZii

Banned
5 days until I need to clear out my youtube search history.

I can avoid watching gameplay videos, but I don't know if I will have the strength to avoid looking up all the concept art once it hits the internet.

The blocking of the share button is probably just because they're being cautious about spoilers. Beyond asking people to keep their mouths shut they can't control word of mouth, but they can somewhat limit the amount of content that we haven't seen from being shared easily with the share button. With the blocking only people with capture cards and the like can share content from after the first 20 mins or so, as opposed to potentially everyone that purchases P5 on the PS4 considering the share button.

_Ryo_

Adventure games like DontNod's "Life is Strange", Night School's "Oxenfree" and modern Telltale games are almost 100% story, and I don't believe they block almost the entirety of their games from being streamed on Ps4, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I think it's a mistake. There have been many times where I would not have bought a game if I hadn't watched a couple of videos from a lets play of it first. Most recently, Dragon Quest VIII on PS2.

Yes, to everyone saying why they're doing it. I know why but I don't agree or like it.

Oh well.

It's probably for the best.

.JayZii

Banned
Adventure games like DontNod's "Life is Strange", Night School's "Oxenfree" and modern Telltale games are almost 100% story, and I don't believe they block almost the entirety of their games from being streamed on Ps4, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I think it's a mistake. There have been many times where I would not have bought a game if I hadn't watched a couple of videos from a lets play of it first. Most recently, Dragon Quest VIII on PS2.
PS4 share button is not the only way for people to stream video games. There will be gameplay videos and Let's Plays all over.

PS4 share button is not the only way for people to stream video games. There will be gameplay videos and Let's Plays all over.
Not nearly as much if Atlus is issuing takedown notices.

The measure is not to completely rid the internet of P5 videos, because that's just not how anything works. It's just to take away the easiest method people will have of sharing content after next week, and control what sharing they can control.

.JayZii

Banned

The measure is not to completely rid the internet of P5 videos, because that's just not good anything works. It's just to take away the easiest method people will have of sharing content after next week, and control what sharing they can control.
Sure, I was replying to Ryo's hypothetical situation wherein people wouldn't be able to see gameplay videos of P5 and be inspired to get the game. There will still be videos going up with or without the share enabled.

Especially by the time February comes around and the games press starts pushing it all over the place.

Sophia

The blocking of the share button is probably just because they're being cautious about spoilers. Beyond asking people to keep their mouths shut they can't control word of mouth, but they can somewhat limit the amount of content that we haven't seen from being shared easily with the share button. With the blocking only people with capture cards and the like can share content from after the first 20 mins or so, as opposed to potentially everyone that purchases P5 on the PS4 considering the share button.

The problem is that it's a pointless endeavor to block spoilers. They're going to get out there regardless of what Atlus does; they have merely inconvenienced customers to prevent something they can't actually prevent.

I'd really like to believe that this is some sort of licensing issue, and not about spoilers. At least then there's a logical reason for blocking it. Stupid, but logical.

_Ryo_

Yes, I know.

The measure is not to completely rid the internet of P5 videos, because that's just not good anything works. It's just to take away the easiest method people will have of sharing content after next week, and control what sharing they can control.

However, I think it's also shitty for the people who wanted to stream the game but can't really afford expensive capture cards or capture boxes, or powerful computers to edit and render them.

I understand that it's Atlus's right to do this and that they're against spoilers getting out. I think it's lame, anticonsumer, and a bad idea, especially when in the end, their attempt will be futile, and spoilers will come anyway. I understand it though.

artsi

As much as I'd like to believe Atlus' crusade against spoilers, I'm just assuming they're copyright control freaks.

See: their ninja army swooping left and right taking down videos when PV2 was leaking

Zolo

As much as I'd like to believe Atlus' crusade against spoilers, I'm just assuming they're copyright control freaks.

See: their ninja army swooping left and right taking down videos when PV2 was leaking

Yeah. This is what I'd assume too.

Sophia

This scenario makes more sense to me, especially given Japanese publishers have done it before (See: The Warriors/Musou games having no sound when streamed on PS4/Xbox One.)

Mediking

5 days until I need to clear out my youtube search history.

I can avoid watching gameplay videos, but I don't know if I will have the strength to avoid looking up all the concept art once it hits the internet.

Youtube is spoiler hell.

I don't like the idea of blocking the share button either. I have three backups from each of my hdd upgrades and resets of the PS4, each with at least 50 gigs of captures. So the utility of the feature isn't lost on me.

I'm sure part of it is about copyright and licensing as well. Type-0 blocked the share button whenever Zero started playing, even when it was just a character singing the song in universe which just seems silly to me.

Youtube is spoiler hell.

Persona 5 (ENDING) - ANNE & RYUJI DEATH SCENE [1080p HQ]
Recommended for you NEW

I have an actual capture card, was debating streaming with PS3 back in the day. Its also paired with a HDMI splitter that doubles as an HDCP stripper.

The only thing ive used it for in like the last year was recording the DLC Marie song from P4DAN.

Maybe I'll take advantage of it with P5

I wonder what the chances are that Persona 5 gets featured in any TV commercial here in NA? Even if it's just a 2 second clip in a Playstation montage....

The answer is 0%.

Also, belated happy new thread!

.JayZii

Banned
I wonder what the chances are that Persona 5 gets featured in any TV commercial here in NA? Even if it's just a 2 second clip in a Playstation montage....

The answer is 0%.
They'll definitely just play that piano ad with subtitles. "We don't use yen in America", you say? Who cares!?

Rutger

Banned

The answer is 0%.

Also, belated happy new thread!

Bayonetta 2 was able to get an ad on TV, but that had Nintendo behind it.

The best place to look for it will probably be during Toonami.

Lunar15

Yes, to everyone saying why they're doing it. I know why but I don't agree or like it.

Oh well.

It's probably for the best.

For what it's worth, I don't like that they do it either. It also doesn't work. People with capture devices will have this game up day 1.

Dantis

So, in regards to Goro, I'm starting to think he'll be more than just a party member. They're going to such an extent to portray him as a side character that I think there has to be more to it. Maybe he joins the party at one crucial moment and then leaves, or maybe he joins and leaves intermittently. Or maybe you play as Goro in Ciri-esque scenes in between chapters. I dunno.

But if it turns out that he's just a normal party member who joins in October and that's all, then all of this hiding is going to seem very, very silly.

Vic_Viper

Has there been any lists released yet of which Personas/Demons will be in P5 yet? Obviously don't list there here, a link would be nice though if one is out yet. Would like to browse what is going to be in the game aside from the usuals. Mainly wondering which new personas are in game, especially the MCs second main persona like P3's Thanatos.

.JayZii

Banned
Has there been any lists released yet of which Personas/Demons will be in P5 yet? Obviously don't list there here, a link would be nice though if one is out yet. Would like to browse what is going to be in the game aside from the usuals. Mainly wondering which new personas are in game, especially the MCs second main persona like P3's Thanatos.
Not till it comes out, I assume.

cj_iwakura

I wonder how is his work in Caligula. Knowing him I expect something interesting, but who knows. At least the trailers gives me a different vibe that a lot Megaten/Persona wannabes have.

I want to say it's going to be amazing, but I think we would have heard murmurings by now if it was something incredible, sadly.

Top Bottom