• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

FordGTGuy

Banned
MS showed Call of Duty because it is the most popular game right now, not to show off graphics. Call of Duty hasn't had cutting edge graphics since COD4.

Exactly at least someone gets it.

Even if the graphics were BETTER than the ps4..which it clearly isn't...

Why the fuck would any of you xbox loyal defenders want to purchase this console anyways?

-Always on line
-Basically blocks used games
-Basically destroys the concept of renting games
-Less focus on gaming software, and more focus on TV and other apps
-Kinect is constantly required
-Kinect is always listening and watching you
-Xbox1 is fucking larger than 2 xbox's combined, and the console itself is ugly as sin

So why the fuck do you care about the graphics? What microsoft has done with the xbox1 in general is a joke, and should be laughed and ridiculed upon.

Fuck you Microsoft. Fuck you.

Exclusives?

RayMaker

Banned
Yeah I can't agree with that either.. bottom-line we have no games to compare between the PS4 and Xbox One yet until we get similar games running on each.

tumblr_inline_mhd42tahAR1qz4rgp.gif

god I love watching this gif

Arklite

I suppose if the thread title statement is true we won't see a sizable difference until a few years into the generation, aside from first part titles. Forums revere direct comparisons and clamor/balk at paltry 2-3 frames per second advantages though, so multiplatforms probably won't escape that.

MS showed Call of Duty because it is the most popular game right now, not to show off graphics. Call of Duty hasn't had cutting edge graphics since COD4.

surprised how bad it looked though.

could have called it current gen and i wouldn't have know the difference. and this coming from a guy basically underwhelmed with all next gen actual gameplay visuals shown so far.

Haven't gone too thoroughly through this thread... we come to a consensus or not about whether X1 is next gen or current gen yet? Really want to know if it's just PS4 that is.

FordGTGuy

Banned
What exclusives do you expect? Honest question

Forza for one and Halo which are my main reasons for even wanting a Xbox right now.

Other than that we have 15 exclusives to look forward to with E3 that I'm going to be watching closely.

Kinect exclusives? Who gives a shit about those?

I'd advise that you calm down if you want to stay on this site much longer, it's not a threat but they don't tolerate trolls much.

The PS2 wasn't more powerful then the dreamcast. Also the xbox and the gamecube were both the same generation as the ps2.

i'm not gonna argue with you on the ps2 vs dreamcast thing, that ship has long sailed. as for the gamecube and the xbox, where did i say they weren't in the same generation?

I said that there isn't a single generation that was won based purely on a power advantage.

Power isn't a determining factor, but it is one of the factors when consoles launch roughly at the same time.

RayMaker

Banned
Exactly at least someone gets it.

Exclusives?

Seems like a poor choice to get the attention of the masses , to show the unveiling on a channel and websites that only the hardcore watch. They needed to show this conference prime time where millions would have been watching.

thats what Adam sessler thought anyway, being on xbox live and spike may have got them a little more casual penetration, but they need to show this on same channel and similar time as the x factor or something.

MS doing bad marketing lol

DatDude

Banned
Forza for one and Halo which are my main reasons for even wanting a Xbox right now.

Other than that we have 15 exclusives to look forward to with E3 that I'm going to be watching closely.

You honestly expect 15 legit exclusives?

Son, you know and I know it's basically be this:

Fable 4-1
Gears of War 4-2
Halo 5-3
Quantum Break-4
Rare Game-5
Forza 5-6
Black Tusk Game-7
Ryse-8
Kinect Exclusive-9
Kinect Exclusive-10
XBLA-11
XBLA-12
XBLA -13
XBLA -14
XBLA -15

Dysun

15 exclusives but how many of them are for Kinect? System sellers? Would have been nice to see anything but no, wait til e3 for games. We wont show you any games during our games console reveal

I think they may have actually included the power brick inside the console this time, which would be nice. If it's still an outer box and the console is still that large then goddamn.

lol

Someone should re-shop that old xbox photoshop of the system as cargo on a construction unit.

Like I said, evidence?

I've not seen any to point in either ones advantage at this point.

Yes, I'm legitimately asking as I want to know if anyone has any real data.

You know, if MS wouldn`t hiding the specs of their superduper powerfull gpu ... even guys like you had their evidence.

Sony already puts their cards on the table and confirmed their 1.84 TFLOPS GPU with 18 CUs.

Both consoles use the same AMD graphics technology and the difference is just.... that PS 4 has more power under the hood.

And we still don`t know how many resources (cores and ram) both are wasting on os and reserved stuff.

Sydle

What? The CoD footage shown at the Xbox1 presser looked like it was running on my PC from 2008 (I am dead serious).

I watched the Killzone 4 footage today...I'm sorry, I can't see a difference worth noting between CoDG and KZ4. I'm sure PS4 will eventually break itself apart from X1, but I don't think it's going to be with that game.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Power isn't a determining factor, but it is one of the factors when consoles launch roughly at the same time.

One factor but not a major one.

The saying is "couldn't care less", and obligatory "that's what she said".

My bad but you clearly understood what I meant.

You know, if MS wouldn`t hiding the specs of their superduper powerfull gpu ... even guys like you had their evidence.

Sony already puts their cards on the table and confirmed their 1.84 TFLOPS GPU with 18 CUs.

Both consoles use the same AMD graphics technology and the difference is just.... that PS 4 has more power under the hood.

And we still don`t know how many resources (cores and ram) both are wasting on os and reserved stuff.

We didn't have any evidence at all before the event, stop trying to say otherwise.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Is that why they used it to do their "look at how much better this looks than the already stste-of-the-art MW3, check out this damn dog!" tech demo segment?

Krisprolls

Banned
The worst thing is that the 90% of what ms showed will not be available out of u.s.a.

Which makes their choices even more puzzling. Nobody will buy this TV box outside the US.

They risk losing the US and they'll hardly take market share in europe with a US centric product. A gaming centric machine with massive exclusives looked like a much better option.

I'm still trying to figure out what they were thinking.

Klocker

Cloud computing power is what MS is banking on to beat the PS4 in graphics... they talked about it quite a bit today but it will not be evident until people e get them home and games are using the power and devs leverage it using the 300k servers

p3tran

Banned
Cloud computing power is what MS is banking on to beat the PS4 in graphics... they talked about it quite a bit today but it will not be evident until people e get them home and games are using the power and devs leverage it using the 300k servers
yes, unfortunately I heard Dan talking about cloud computing as the mana from heavens...

I find it pathetic, and I'm sorry to say so.

So basically you're agreeing with me?

This isn't a meaningless statement, it means that people saying that the performance advantage guarantees a PS4 win this generation have no justifiable evidence to lean on.

No, what you're using is a strawman. Nobody said power was the only thing that matters, that's just important and can be considered an advantage in certain circumstances.

Other than that we have 15 exclusives to look forward to with E3 that I'm going to be hearing more about perhaps.

I'd advise that you calm down if you want to stay on this site much longer, it's not a threat but they don't tolerate trolls much.

You've got 15 exclusives that don't exist enough to even show. If they could show them, they would have. Why would their marketing department choose to shoot them self in the foot like this. "oh, we don't want to show the games until E3, we want to focus on the complete home entertainment package. Lets hype this event to the gaming community and then show the Price is Right!". I mean we are talking about a company that has tons of people who they poll over marketing stuff like this. They had to know this was going to be the reaction. They had to... and if not.. thats even worse. It's a game console release, not a Time Warner/Comcast cable man pitch to get you to pay a few extra dollars a month for the latest and greatest cable box.

They focused on TV and kinect 2 functionality because they had nothing else to show. That said, the TV function, and the UI, looked great. Really... but thats not what any of us wanted to see.

MS dropped the ball, i don't see how that can be denied.

p3tran

Banned
He is a first party developer what do you expect him to do? How exactly is it pathetic?

pathetic as in like he doesn't have to be a pr mouthpiece.

but thats just my opinion. maybe he likes it like that.

You can't use cloud computing for parts of the graphics. Either you render everything on your console, or you render all in the cloud and receive it in form of a video stream.

RayMaker

Banned
IF PS4 games look noticeably better to the masses then x1 games, I think that is a definate advantage

if its the same level of difference as fallout 3 was on the consoles I would defiantly get the console that play the game better.

fallout 3 on PS3 looked like cack compared to the 360 version

FordGTGuy

Banned
No, what you're using is a strawman. Nobody said power was the only thing that matters, that's just important and can be considered an advantage in certain circumstances.

It's not a strawman, you're twisting something I didn't even mean to say in the first place.

Of course he has to be a pr mouth piece he is a first party developer trying to sell his game and help sell the console that his game exclusively runs on.

You've got 15 exclusives that don't exist enough to even show. If they could show them, they would have. Why would their marketing department choose to shoot them self in the foot like this. "oh, we don't want to show the games until E3, we want to focus on the complete home entertainment package. Lets hype this event to the gaming community and then show the price is right!". I mean we are talking about a company that has tons of people who they poll over marketing stuff like this. They had to know this was going to be the reaction. They had to... and if not.. thats even worse. It's a game console release, not a Time Warner/Comcast cable man pitch to get you to pay a few extra dollars a month for the latest and greatest cable box.

They focused on TV and kinect 2 functionality because they had nothing else to show. That said, the TV function, and the UI, looked great. Really... but thats not what any of us wanted to see.

You're comment makes no sense.

We've known since before this reveal that this would be heavy on hardware/content and less on games. They even further confirmed that the E3 event, as we know, is going to be gaming centric and will show the rest of the games they have to show.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm so frustrated by this power thing. The PS2 came out more than 18 months before the Xbox. The console gen was decided before the Xbox was released; it could have been weaker than the PS2 and it would not have mattered. The whole conversation is meaningless; it does not reveal anything about consumer choices or consumer tastes.

However, if you examine the PS2 in the context in which it was released, you would surely realize that power was a key component of how the system was marketed to consumers. You would know:

• That the hardware components were given humanizing marketing names like "Emotion Engine" and "Graphics Synthesizer"
  • That the PS2 was reported on in the media as being a supercomputer ("Sadaam Hussein is importing them TO LAUNCH MISSILES!")
  • That the famous "PS9" ad linked the PS2 to a chain of consoles so powerful it became part of your mind
  • That Kutaragi spoke about the PS2 as having "Toy Story like graphics" and that players would "jack into the matrix"

Stop being so intellectually dishonest. The PS2 was a monster when it came out. That power mattered.

Yes, it's true that, "The most powerful console has never won the generation!!!!111" But such an observation is facile and meaningless. The SNES and Genesis went head to head on power. The early days of the PS1 vs. Saturn was nothing but a 3d pissing match. The N64 was all about power and it debuted with a paradigm-shifting 3D title. The Dreamcast was a powerful machine ("it's thinking") and the PS2 came out and blew it away.

Am I saying the most powerful machine wins? No. Am I saying power is very important? Absolutely. Even this generation more consumers chose HD gaming machines than non-HD gaming machines and there is the possibility that the PS3 will close out the gen in first place.

So stahp.

Klocker

he sounded very excite about what he can do with the tech not a mouth piece.

bkilian on B3d for example today suggested they could use the cloud easily to render huge crowds watching races but if offline it is a much smaller crowd... just one simple example and Dan said specifically, it will only expand it get better...

the kept saying the Xbox One will get more powerful as time passes and they leverage the cloud computing

RoadHazard

Gold Member

So they're gonna perform the intense graphics computations in the cloud, and then somehow integrate that with what the system is doing, all within a single frame's time? Haha, yeah...

I watched the Killzone 4 footage today...I'm sorry, I can't see a difference worth noting between CoDG and KZ4. I'm sure PS4 will eventually break itself apart from X1, but I don't think it's going to be with that game.

Are you layman? There's a digital foundry article on the Killzone game.

Sydle

You've got 15 exclusives that don't exist enough to even show. If they could show them, they would have. Why would their marketing department choose to shoot them self in the foot like this. "oh, we don't want to show the games until E3, we want to focus on the complete home entertainment package. Lets hype this event to the gaming community and then show the price is right!". I mean we are talking about a company that has tons of people who they poll over marketing stuff like this. They had to know this was going to be the reaction. They had to... and if not.. thats even worse. It's a game console release, not a Time Warner/Comcast cable man pitch to get you to pay a few extra dollars a month for the latest and greatest cable box.

Because they wanted to focus on their platform vision and position themselves as an entertainment box and show off how they are going to uniquely position their device. You can't do that if you just show that you're bringing games with b3ttAr graphiks. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

They explicitly stated they will have a lot of games in 3 weeks at E3. They said this before, during, and after the show numerous times. All we can do now is wait to see what they have in store before we can say they don't have anything. Christ.

Are you layman? There's a digital foundry article on the Killzone game.

I don't care about the tech behind it, I won't understand or care to comprehend how it's being done. The end result is they look pretty similar.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
the kept saying the Xbox One will get more powerful as time passes and they leverage the cloud computing

Kutaragi talked about the same thing with the PS2 and he even talked about it connecting to your toaster to make it more powerful.

People call him "Krazy Ken."

Klocker

Kutaragi talked about the same thing with the PS2 and he even talked about it connecting to your toaster to make it more powerful.

People call him "Krazy Ken."

I'd say Ken was ahead of his time ;)
and Sony didn't invest in a 300k strong Azure system for PS2

keuja

he sounded very excite about what he can do with the tech not a mouth piece.

bkilian on B3d for example today suggested they could use the cloud easily to render huge crowds watching races but if offline it is a much smaller crowd... just one simple example and Dan said specifically, it will only expand it get better...

Sounding like Sony last gen with their "unlocking the power of the CELL" argument. Which they did I guess when you see games like Uncharted 2/3 and GoW3.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Them not clearly stating whether it's DDR5 or 3 makes me speculate that it's 3..

It's already confirmed DDR3.

No rational thinking?

Huh?

I'm so frustrated by this power thing. The PS2 came out more than 18 months before the Xbox. The console gen was decided before the Xbox was released; it could have been weaker than the PS2 and it would not have mattered. The whole conversation is meaningless; it does not reveal anything about consumer choices or consumer tastes.

However, if you examine the PS2 in the context in which it was released, you would surely realize that power was a key component of how the system was marketed to consumers. You would know:

• That the hardware components were given humanizing marketing names like "Emotion Engine" and "Graphics Synthesizer"
  • That the PS2 was reported on in the media as being a supercomputer ("Sadaam Hussein is importing them TO LAUNCH MISSILES!")
  • That the famous "PS9" ad linked the PS2 to a chain of consoles so powerful it became part of your mind
  • That Kutaragi spoke about the PS2 as having "Toy Story like graphics" and that players would "jack into the matrix"

Stop being so intellectually dishonest. The PS2 was a monster when it came out. That power mattered.

Yes, it's true that, "The most powerful console has never won the generation!!!!111" But such an observation is facile and meaningless. The SNES and Genesis went head to head on power. The early days of the PS1 vs. Saturn was nothing but a 3d pissing match. The N64 was all about power and it debuted with a paradigm-shifting 3D title. The Dreamcast was a powerful machine ("it's thinking") and the PS2 came out and blew it away.

Am I saying the most powerful machine wins? No. Am I saying power is very important? Absolutely. Even this generation more consumers chose HD gaming machines than non-HD gaming machines and there is the possibility that the PS3 will close out the gen in first place.

So stahp.

Not trying to get in a argument with a mod/admin but I don't agree at all with it being intellectually dishonest. If anything I think it's not only intellectually honest but backed up by evidence.

Top Bottom