• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo gets Monolith Soft from Bandai-Namco

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
They probably wanted to make their own project, though I notice on all Trusty Bell trailers now it always says "Op.1" under their logo, I wonder what that means...

Yamauchi

Banned
I guess Nintendo assumes that because they are the mainstream company in Japan now, they might need some decent console RPGs.

ivysaur12

Banned
jj984jj said:
They probably wanted to make their own project, though I notice on all Trusty Bell trailers now it always says "Op.1" under their logo, I wonder what that means...

I noticed that too. Makes me wonder...

I'm sure that tri-Crescendo wouldn't mind making a huge Wii RPG published by Nintendo, especially if it's heavily marketed. And with Nintendo buying MonolithSoft ALONG with the BK franchise makes me think that that's what's going to happen.

I still want to know about Xenosaga though, even though I could really care less. X3 was a great ending.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bleh, I stopped following this thread a few hundred posts ago.

Has it been clarified what IPs (if any) Nintendo acquired with this purchase?

ivysaur12

Banned
Mejilan said:
Bleh, I stopped following this thread a few hundred posts ago.

Has it been clarified what IPs (if any) Nintendo acquired with this purchase?

Jonny said Baten Kaitos, but we don't know about Xenosaga.

duckroll

From the way the press release and the Japanese news articles about the sale go, I'm pretty sure Nintendo did *not* acquire any IPs. But that doesn't matter, because this isn't a simple "sell and dump" deal.

The reason for the sale given by Bandai Namco is that Monolithsoft was funded and created as a development studio to plan and develop game design concepts. What they feel is that recently, Monolithsoft's relationship has grown and it would be beneficial to the studio to work more closely with Nintendo to further develop their ideas and plans. Meanwhile even after the sale, Bandai Namco will continue their working relationship with Monolithsoft as a business partner.

You can assume that to mean whatever you want to. :D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Yamauchi said:
I guess Nintendo assumes that because they are the mainstream company in Japan now, they might need some decent console RPGs.

I don't mind, Nintendo needs a traditional RPG company since Camelot is doing other stuff. Since Monolithsoft is basically a first party company it would be interesting to see if they continue making traditional RPG's under the Nintendo name.

What would be more interesting is if they will continue the heavy handed storytelling like the Xenosaga series or if they will make more lighthearted fare like Chrono Trigger, Grandia, or Lunar.

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo would recieve the BK license if they haven't already got it. They did publish BK2 after all, Namco don't seem too interested in the series.

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
What would be more interesting is if they will continue the heavy handed storytelling like the Xenosaga series or if they will make more lighthearted fare like Chrono Trigger, Grandia, or Lunar.
I wouldn't put Chrono Trigger in the same category as Grandia and Lunar, but I agree that this is the important question. I guess we'll have to wait until they announce their next game to get an answer.

sphinx

the piano man
jj984jj said:

for those who asked:

"Op.", which is a abbreviation of " Opus", means "work" as in a piece of art. It is used only in classical music works, as far as I know.

Op.1 means it's tri-crescendo's " Work Nr. 1 ", meaning it's their first game.

for example, Chopin " Etudes Op. 10 " is a set of 12 piano pieces that were sent to print and the whole collection is called " Etudes Op. 10 " , that way you know the series of pieces is the 10th work in Chopin's catalogue of compositions.

I hope it's understandable.

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
From the way the press release and the Japanese news articles about the sale go, I'm pretty sure Nintendo did *not* acquire any IPs. But that doesn't matter, because this isn't a simple "sell and dump" deal.

The reason for the sale given by Bandai Namco is that Monolithsoft was funded and created as a development studio to plan and develop game design concepts. What they feel is that recently, Monolithsoft's relationship has grown and it would be beneficial to the studio to work more closely with Nintendo to further develop their ideas and plans. Meanwhile even after the sale, Bandai Namco will continue their working relationship with Monolithsoft as a business partner.

You can assume that to mean whatever you want to. :D

Thanks Duckroll. That makes me slightly less confident in a BK sequel, but at least we know that Monolith has been developing extensively for either the Wii or DS for a while now.

jj984jj

I see, well if they consider Trusty Bell their first work then they might not want to do another BK for quite some time to continue their independent projects, quite unfortunate.

ivysaur12

Banned
Who knows. They might want to wait a while to make their own games, or they might want to get Trusty Bell out, and then think about working on a BK game again. But I'm sure if Nintendo really wanted them on BK3, they could get them.

sphinx

the piano man
jj984jj said:
I see, well if they consider Trusty Bell their first work then they might not want to do another BK for quite some time to continue their independent projects, quite unfortunate.

I think, this is the first project they have done all by themselves, without monolith, nintendo or anyone else. I also believe that this project was financed by microsft long ago when they thought they had a shot at conquering Japan. Don't want to sound pessimistic but after Trusty Bell, microsoft seems to be in an attitude of wrapping up their stuff and giving up hopes of having a relevant presence in Japan.

That being said, I am not sure if Tri-crescendo will have a 2nd chance for a big project they can call " Op. 2 " .... maybe a desperate Sony needing nice japanese RPGS will finance their second work.

I do see Baten Kaitos for DS happening, now that Monolith is owned by nintendo and I am VERY happy with that. :D

duckroll

sphinx said:
I think, this is the first project they have done all by themselves, without monolith, nintendo or anyone else. I also believe that this project was financed by microsft long ago when they thought they had a shot at conquering Japan. Don't want to sound pessimistic but after Trusty Bell, microsoft seems to be in an attitude of wrapping up their stuff and giving up hopes of having a relevant presence in Japan.

MS has nothing to do with Trusty Bell. I don't know where this keeps coming from, but the game is 100% a Bandai Namco game. :p

kenji

really nice news, maybe this will help monolith to make their games more famous, and continue (baten kaitos, but expecially xenosaga *-*)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Durante said:
I wouldn't put Chrono Trigger in the same category as Grandia and Lunar, but I agree that this is the important question. I guess we'll have to wait until they announce their next game to get an answer.

I am not saying that they are equal, I said that they are equally lighthearted in how they present the story and adventure.

Cheerilee

Mr. Pointy said:
Nintendo bought a tiny, tiny stake (<2.5% IIRC) in Bandai a couple of years back.
Bandai wanted to merge with Sega as far back as the Saturn launch (their hope was to become #2 or 3 in the videogame hardware biz), but they kept putting it off and watching Sega get cheaper until Sammy grabbed them.

Then Nintendo and Bandai's bank arranged for Nintendo to buy 2.7% of Bandai, which doesn't seem like a lot, but Bandai's shares are really spread out, and even the son of the company founder only had 5%, so it put Nintendo in the top ten shareholders. The bank and Bandai's president/CEO were both urging the founder's son to sell 2% of his shares to Nintendo, giving them 4.7% and putting Nintendo in charge of Bandai, but he thought merging with/selling to Nintendo would anger Sony, so he refused.

Then Bandai merged with Namco, with a 57/43 split, so Nintendo owns/owned 1.539% of Namco-Bandai, but I think Namco's shares were held in larger amounts by fewer people, so Namco basically controls Namco-Bandai.

If Nintendo felt there was value in getting Baten Kaitos along with it I'm guessing they would have tried for it, its not like Namco are ever going to use it again so it can't have been much of a deal breaker.

If Nintendo did get BK then :D :D :D shows they want to keep the series going.

sphinx

the piano man
duckroll said:
MS has nothing to do with Trusty Bell. I don't know where this keeps coming from, but the game is 100% a Bandai Namco game. :p

I am definitely not sure if what I think is the truth but I think it's obvious and the japanese 360 core + Trusty Bell bundle points in that direction.

It's Blue Dragon all over again.

You can say " It's 100% Mistwalker "... well yeah, but with whose money?

jj984jj

sphinx said:
I am definitely not sure if what I think is the truth but I think it's obvious and the japanese 360 core + Trusty Bell bundle points in that direction.

It's Blue Dragon all over again.

You can say " It's 100% Mistwalker "... well yeah, but with whose money?
Uhh... what? :lol

I think it's obvious MS has a good relationship with B-N (RR6, Idolmaster, TB, AC6,
Tekken 6,
etc.), but they're still Bandai-Namco's games and funded projects.

sphinx

the piano man
jj984jj said:
Uhh... what? :lol

I think it's obvious MS has a good relationship with B-N (RR6, Idolmaster, TB, AC6,
Tekken 6,
etc.), but it's Bandai-Namco's games and funded projects still.

I may be speaking nonsense, but this is how I think it goes.

they were some fees microsoft itself had to pay in regards to blue dragon. They had to pay to assure the following:

.- the game stayed exclusive.
.- the game was of some specific lenght.
.- the game was of a genre popular with japanese audiences.
.- the game had stellar production values (graphics, voice acting, etc. ).
.- the game was released in a timely manner, ( which translated into mistwalker postponing his ASH game for DS, by the way)

you just don't go to a developer and ask politely " could we have a stellar game from you, please? ". You pay for that.

again, I am not sure how it works, I am open to being corrected if needed.

duckroll

You're completely mistaken. Blue Dragon is a Microsoft Games Studio game. It's first party. Mistwalker is just the developer. In this case, Trusty Bell's developer is Tri-Crescendo. The publisher is Bandai Namco Games. It has nothing to do with Microsoft Games Studio. :p

Do you get it yet? There's a PUBLISHER who pays for the development of a game, and there's a DEVELOPER who makes the game. In the case of Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Gears of War, Mass Effect and Too human - Microsoft Games Studio is the PUBLISHER. They're paying for the development of the game, they're not paying a "fee" but they're paying for EVERYTHING. And when they game sells, the profit is theirs. The developers are Mistwalker/Artoon, Mistwalker/Feel Plus, Tri-Ace, Epic, Bioware and Silicon Knights respectively. Yes, it is so simple as going up to a developer and saying "Hey make a game for us, we're paying!". :p

In the case of Trusty Bell, Idolmaster and Culdcept Saga - the publisher is Bandai Namco Games. They're paying for the development and the developers are Tri-Crescendo, Namco and Omiyasoft respectively.

Do you get it yet? :p

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
You're completely mistaken. Blue Dragon is a Microsoft Games Studio game. It's first party. Mistwalker is just the developer. In this case, Trusty Bell's developer is Tri-Crescendo. The publisher is Bandai Namco Games. It has nothing to do with Microsoft Games Studio. :p

I suspect there were some moneyhats involved.

Kafel

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I suspect there were some moneyhats involved.

Not necessarily, I think that the PS3 wasn't released at the right time.

By the way, isn't it this game that just appeared also as a PS3 game after its classification ?

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
Or maybe they wanted to develop a next-gen game and the PS3 wasn't quite ready?

Eh, whatever. Either way, it'll still (unfortunately) sell like crap in Japan and probably not do very well in America. Which sucks.

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
Eh, whatever. Either way, it'll still (unfortunately) sell like crap in Japan and probably not do very well in America. Which sucks.

I bet it'll outsell Baten Kaitos 2 in Japan -and- America though! Which counts for something! :lol

sphinx

the piano man
duckroll said:

Do you get it yet? There's a PUBLISHER who pays for the development of a game, and there's a DEVELOPER who makes the game. In the case of Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Gears of War, Mass Effect and Too human - Microsoft Games Studio is the PUBLISHER. They're paying for the development of the game, they're not paying a "fee" but they're paying for EVERYTHING. And when they game sells, the profit is theirs. The developers are Mistwalker/Artoon, Mistwalker/Feel Plus, Tri-Ace, Epic, Bioware and Silicon Knights respectively. Yes, it is so simple as going up to a developer and saying "Hey make a game for us, we're paying!". :p

In the case of Trusty Bell, Idolmaster and Culdcept Saga - the publisher is Bandai Namco Games. They're paying for the development and the developers are Tri-Crescendo, Namco and Omiyasoft respectively.

Do you get it yet? :p

I knew everything you said before reading your post.

My point was that most likely, microsoft made negotiations ( which include but are not limited moneyhats, night parties, hookers, everything that brings pleasure, etc.) to keep the game as it is.

We will NEVER know about this kind of negotiations taking place but they sure happen.

duckroll

sphinx said:
I knew everything you said before reading your post.

Really? So were you just being retarded when you said this:

I may be speaking nonsense, but this is how I think it goes.

they were some fees microsoft itself had to pay in regards to blue dragon. They had to pay to assure the following:

.- the game stayed exclusive.
.- the game was of some specific lenght.
.- the game was of a genre popular with japanese audiences.
.- the game had stellar production values (graphics, voice acting, etc. ).
.- the game was released in a timely manner, ( which translated into mistwalker postponing his ASH game for DS, by the way)

you just don't go to a developer and ask politely " could we have a stellar game from you, please? ". You pay for that.

again, I am not sure how it works, I am open to being corrected if needed.

sphinx

the piano man
duckroll said:
Really? So were you just being retarded when you said this:

It was a typo that part, I meant Trusty Bell not Blue Dragon.

I meant that microsoft for sure had to do "negotiations" with Namco-Bandai and/or tri-crescendo to keep the game as it is now. That's all.

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
We aren't talking about Xenosaga right now.

Oh right, whoops. I dunno though, I don't think I'm going to buy BKO for a looooong time. I'll like to eventually get it, but I don't even have my GC at the moment. :p

Let's face it, BK2 was released (both in US and in Japan) at possibly the worst time ever on the wrong system. I'm just going to play Trusty Bell instead.

jj984jj

Fady K said:
But that doesn't make sense...so we're talking about something half as good as Xenosaga
:p
I didn't know we're talking about Xenosaga Episode 2.

duckroll

sphinx said:
It was a typo that part, I meant Trusty Bell not Blue Dragon.

I meant that microsoft for sure had to do "negotiations" with Namco-Bandai and/or tri-crescendo to keep the game as it is now. That's all.

Really? Did you typo Mistwalker too? And ASH? :p

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Darnit, I really gotta get Xenosaga III... and finish Baten Kaitos Origins... and Super Paper Mario. At least I can be sure they're all better than Final Fantasy XII. :)

Thoren

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Isn't Trusty Bell getting a PS3 release? I thought the ESRB leaked that one.

We still don't know that. ESRB just had it listed. Could be a typo. Human error. Artificial Artificial intelligence miscalculation.

They never ported Baten Kaitos to the PS2, plus the PS3's userbase isnt an impressive thing to fall back on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom