• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Monkeys | Unmake History - Fridays on Syfy |OT|

0wK6ZO8.png

Time traveller James Cole (Aaron Stanford) travels from the year 2043 to the present day in order to stop the release of a deadly virus by the enigmatic organisation known as "Army of the Twelve Monkeys".

That virus, in Cole's original timeline, caused the death of 93.6% of the world population.

Cole will be helped by the brilliant virologist Cassandra Railly (Amanda Schull) and a math genius with mental issues, Jennifer Goines (Emily Hampshire).

dpBWdK5.png
gamVTrg.png
E47V1c8.png
RdYJKWW.png

nnXMVzQ.png
EWttgHM.png
VYyn1tn.png

Official site: http://www.syfy.com/12monkeys

Trailer 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZNcVYqnCFw
Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihbMJbqYWbw

* DERP! Can a mod add OT in the title please? Thanks!

ALL CREDIT FOR THIS GOES TO GavinUK86

GavinUK86

Going to watch it in a few hours. Massive fan of the film. The first ten minutes that they released on Youtube seemed really cool. Going to sub so we all can, hopefully, discuss it.

What's kinda interesting is that if you pair f with the SyFy Sync app it will sync with the hue app lights while the show airs. That's a hell of a cool feature I hope other TV shows and movies start to do.

Sadly I was working so I couldn't try it out.

Chris1

I liked it aswell, never seen the movie so didn't really know what it was like so my expectations were pretty low but I'll be tuning in each week.

I heard the movie is different to the show? Is that any good? It's on netflix so I'm considering watching that aswell.

What the hell. The whole point of the movie is
you can't change shit and Bruce Willis flails around accomplishing precisely nothing.
How the hell do you get a show out of that? Oh yeah, by changing it completely, because you have no respect for the source material.

decaf

What the hell. The whole point of the movie is
you can't change shit and Bruce Willis flails around accomplishing precisely nothing.
How the hell do you get a show out of that? Oh yeah, by changing it completely, because you have no respect for the source material.

Incorrect.
Thanks to his efforts, the scientist was able to make it on the same flight as the virologist to study the sample. The point was never to stop it from happening.

Zoe

Just watched the intro so far, but ugh.

Incorrect.
Thanks to his efforts, the scientist was able to make it on the same flight as the virologist to study the sample. The point was never to stop it from happening.

That's not what he's complaining about,

Part of what made the movie so great is the realization that it's a closed time loop. Everything that was going to happen already happened.

Within the first five minutes of the show, Cole changed the past.

I didn't love the movie (it was solid, but nothing to write home about) and found that the TV spot for the show made it look like crap. So I'll pass.

I have too much to watch already

vpance

Thought it was pretty good. Don't know why but I laughed really hard at the cheeseburger line.

That's not what he's complaining about,

Part of what made the movie so great is the realization that it's a closed time loop. Everything that was going to happen already happened.

Within the first five minutes of the show, Cole changed the past.

Closed time loop makes for a poignant film but an open one makes for a TV series, obviously.

Wiktor

I enjoyed it quite a lot. The cast excellent and production values are pretty damn high. Cole really feels like somebody sent from postapocalyptic world. Always liked Aaron Stanford in Nikita and he's rocking Cole's role.
They aren't sticking with the movie plotline, which is a very good idea. It seems they just took the initial pitch and ran with it. I hope 12 monkeys here will actually turn out to be sinister group. Loved the increased complexity of time travel. Being able to change things, turning Cole into bilogical supercomputer, actually using time manipulation to acomplish tasks. Very fun.

Overall yet another in the surprisingly long list of good tv adaptations of movies. It's intruging, complex and well acted/directed. I doubt it's going to become one of my favorite shows, but I will definitely come back for more episodes.

NolbertoS

I didn't realize they made a series about the movie. Loved the movie and its time paradoz themes. Weird how I love all Bruce Willis sci-fi movies. First 5th Element and now 12 Monkeys :p. Is episode 1 uo to watch on Syfy??

Geist-

Closed time loop makes for a poignant film but an open one makes for a TV series, obviously.

Exactly. If it was the same as the movie, everyone would already know the twist, so why make it at all? I love remakes that actually take the time to make their version unique.

mm04

I just watched it. I've never seen the movie, but I'm a sucker for time travel movies/shows. I enjoyed it. But the highlight of the viewing was actually watching the Syfy commercial where I discovered that they're bringing Childhood's End to series?! I LOVED that book when I read it as a teenager. The casting looks pretty good, too. Excited about that one.

bebop242

I just watched it. I've never seen the movie, but I'm a sucker for time travel movies/shows. I enjoyed it. But the highlight of the viewing was actually watching the Syfy commercial where I discovered that they're bringing Childhood's End to series?! I LOVED that book when I read it as a teenager. The casting looks pretty good, too. Excited about that one.

You should see the 12 monkeys movie. Im also a sucker for time travel and its my fav film ever

Wiktor

Episode two was also nice. Like that the future is constant part of the story.
Also
the mother
joke :D :D :D

mm04

You should see the 12 monkeys movie. Im also a sucker for time travel and its my fav film ever

It's one of those movies that over the years I've always told myself "I need to watch that one day..." and never get around to it. It's crazy because I'm a fan of Bruce Willis too, so it has a lot going for it. Is it on any streaming service?

Edit: Okay, I see it's on Netflix overseas. Time to put this VPN to use!

The movie is one of my all-time favorites. Brad Pitt is wonderful in it, and the soundtrack is superb. But how have I never even heard of this serie? Despite SyFy, which isn't exactly a seal of quality, I need to watch it.

Lé Blade Runner;147893159 said:
The movie is one of my all-time favorites. Brad Pitt is wonderful in it, and the soundtrack is superb. But how have I never even heard of this serie? Despite SyFy, which isn't exactly a seal of quality, I need to watch it.

It just started yesterday is probably why you haven't heard of it yet lol, catch the first episode! It's on repeat most of the day today

pretty sure, they are going the route of cole is changing the future, but certain events are locked. It works great for a tv show since the ending is known regardless of length. At some point, Cole will despair and give up.

xrnzaaas

So Birkhoff is going to save the world and Brad Pitt is now a woman? ;)

Pilot was ok, but second episode was kinda slow and boring. And how long are they planning on hiding the fact that
Jones is future Cassie?

D i Z

I thought it was pretty good for a syfy pilot. It's going to get convoluted as fuck in a minute though. The scientists in the future need to step their game up.

PepperedHam

I really enjoyed this. Gotta love the hyperbole of "rancid trash". Come on people, "rancid trash" is stuff like CSI: Cyber and 2 Broke Girls. This is far from rancid trash.

Acrylic7

I need to see more than 1 episode.

If the writers are good then they can have fun with the time traveling concept. Good for le twists.
But I think that's a tall order form SyFy.

Ton of people had to see it because they had long fucking marathon today.

GavinUK86

I quite liked it. Seemed to stick too close to what fans of the film know though. Sure, he
changed time so that's different
but I mean we already know all about the Army of the Twelve Monkeys et cetera so I wonder if they're going to change all that. They have to right? It would be too predictable for film fans. Bear in mind I haven't watched episode two yet.

Just to add, yes Amanda Schull is beautiful but that one shot of Emily Hampshire has me excited to see what she does with that character. She definitely has that crazy yet gorgeous look nailed.

msrarw.gif

ivysaur12

Banned
I really enjoyed this. Gotta love the hyperbole of "rancid trash". Come on people, "rancid trash" is stuff like CSI: Cyber and 2 Broke Girls. This is far from rancid trash.

CSI: Cyber hasn't even premiered. Like, it could be bad. And it probably will be bad. But, that seems unfair.

GavinUK86

I have no idea what you just said.

There are these lights you can get that you control the brightness and colours with a mobile app. Syfy are using the app to control your lights while you watch 12 Monkeys. It's apparently cool. I'm too poor to own them though.

Top Bottom