• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good gmail alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to disconnect myself from Google's products and services. Are there any good email services with stronger privacy policies out there? After years of using gmail I am completely clueless when it comes to these things

mackattk

Ah, your information is out there already, the damage is already done.

But if you are serious, just pay to host your own domain and create an email address from that. Its not all that expensive to go that route.

Mudkips

Banned
Having your own domain is useless in terms of safeguarding your data unless you control the actual mail server as well.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Good?...

How about not-bad? Cause hotmail is not bad, then there's another pretty big step down to yahoo mail.

Somnid

I don't know why you care so much but Yahoo and Hotmail are still decent. You can also send email via Facebook.

Bombadil

Banned
My university's email service operates via Gmail, so there's nothing I can do about it. I don't really find Google's new policies bad enough to get me to switch.

I personally don't find Gmail's changed privacy policy a big deal, but the drop off in quality and speed between GMail and other free webmail alternatives is pretty steep. Hotmail has improved to be the 2nd best, but I don't see how allowing MS to data mine your email is worse than allowing Google to do so.

There's a reason why these services are free. Then again, I can't think of a single paid email service that offers anything as compelling as GMail. And buying your own domain, server space, configuring a webmail interface and turning on access is a PITA.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I love Google, and they've even got me reconsidering some of their services. Why force a Google Plus account on everyone, they have changed so much.

It's more that Google just wants one login for all of their services. MS is the exact same way. You got your login and it works for all of their online stuff. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I do wonder why people are complaining now about the G+ thing. I mean I didn't hear people complain when your existing login worked for Google Docs.

Tenck

Microsoft isn't a saint either when it comes to privacy on your email. Like others have said, if you want to go the best route, you might as well get your own private email address.

jvalioli

It's more that Google just wants one login for all of their services. MS is the exact same way. You got your login and it works for all of their online stuff. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I do wonder why people are complaining now about the G+ thing. I mean I didn't hear people complain when your existing login worked for Google Docs.

Most people don't know what the new privacy policy is about.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i hear hotmail is better these days, apparently microsoft has been improving it a lot lately. They still don't have a 2 step authentication like gmail though. That is the main reason i stick with gmail these days.

Goldrush

I suspect that a lot of uproar over Google is because they are a bit more forward regarding what they track about you than other company. Facebook probably knows more about most people than Google. Not to mention that Google is the only website that I know of that gives you the ability to control a good chunk of information they have about you.

jagowar

i hear hotmail is better these days, apparently microsoft has been improving it a lot lately. They still don't have a 2 step authentication like gmail though. That is the main reason i stick with gmail these days.

They said that is coming in the next few months.... atleast according to some security guy that was on the major nelson podcast a few weeks ago.

But to the op's question.... the only good solution is to buy your own domain and run your own email.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Because Google Docs doesn't suddenly put everything in my Gmail out there or force a social network profile on me with the default being open-information-to-everyone? Duh????????????????????

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Delete your profile.

And then have Google remake it whenever their policy changes? Yeah, okay. How about not doing that in the first place and instead if I want to use the service... I... *gasp*... will!?

Same shit with tracking my shit because I'm logged into Gmail on Youtube. If I wanted a Faux Youtube account: I'd sign up. But I don't. So why auto-log me in besides LOL I WANT TO TRACK ALL YOUR DATAZ?

kehs

Banned
And then have Google remake it whenever their policy changes? Yeah, okay. How about not doing that in the first place and instead if I want to use the service... I... *gasp*... will!?

Same shit with tracking my shit because I'm logged into Gmail on Youtube. If I wanted a Faux Youtube account: I'd sign up. But I don't. So why auto-log me in besides LOL I WANT TO TRACK ALL YOUR DATAZ?

Stop signing in.

hyp

I am trying to disconnect myself from Google's products and services. Are there any good email services with stronger privacy policies out there? After years of using gmail I am completely clueless when it comes to these things

i did the same thing and deleted my google accounts. I currently have an iCloud account with apple. same thing with my fb account. timelines are going to be enforced this week.

zap

To be honest, Gmail is by far the best.

I can't say that the new policy is worth losing the best services on the web...

peakish

Because Google Docs doesn't suddenly put everything in my Gmail out there or force a social network profile on me with the default being open-information-to-everyone? Duh????????????????????

Is this a thing for new users? I've gotten a g+ profile but it's completely empty. I don't care about it being there at all.

Edit: Hmm, I suppose it just fills in whatever information you had in your Gmail profile before? I don't think I ever bothered with that so that might explain it. I think I'll experiment a bit with some new accounts anyway.

Edit 2: Allright, so the absolute minimum public information that needs to be shared for g+ is your full name and photo, I'd prefer it if you could set your photo to friends only. Deleted the g+ account since none of my friends really use it anyway. This was never an inconvenience to me but if people don't like Google to link your account to any new services they think up then I can understand that I suppose.

fse

Yeah. I've seen their email service on the browser a few times. You may want to check it out, OP. However, the Free service is only 25MBs.

http://www.operamail.com/

Alternatively, setup a Yahoo Mail UK account and the ymail.com domain. You can use POP for free with it.

the new beta of their service is better. More modern ui 2gb storage I think too.
mail.opera.com

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

You're boxing with shadows here bro, if you don't want to use Gmail and what comes with it, of course you don't have to - and I am not here to make you or to defend Gmail/Google services per say but the "If they change their policy in the future, who knows what could happen" argument is extremely... paranoid, cynical, pessimistic and exhausting - do you really live your life that way?

LuchaShaq

Banned
I love Google, and they've even got me reconsidering some of their services. Why force a Google Plus account on everyone, they have changed so much.

I only use gmail but google plus has done nothing to/for me besides add a button on the top of the web client that I haven't ever bothered to click /shrug. Also have never added a "real" name or picture to my profile or anything on google before plus so I'm not sure what profile they could have of me.

fanboi

Banned
People whine for the most absurd reasons...

Well sure, if the privacy policy changed and its bad then I understand...

But making one login to go with all Google services is, at least for me, a great thing...
No need to relogin etc when going between services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom