• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of cancelled Streets of Rage leaks, developed at Ruffian (Crackdown 2).

Platy

Looked God Tier for a pre alpha prototype !

The video's biggest problems are showing streets of rage footage and then not living (for being a prototype without awesome music) and the fact that the camera system is not very multiplayer friendly and this is a game that needs to have at least 2 player coop

Was there no sound in that video or just my browser acting up? Anyway I probably would have bought it if they had Yuzo do the soundtrack.

nullref

The spiritual successor to SOR and the beat em up genre was God Hand really. Quirky enough, progressing through stages whuffing on minions, then some tough ass bosses to beat down. Multiplayer God Hand would be THE SHIT. Anarchy Reigns should have strived for that rather than the deatmatch with mission bolt ons approach.

Yeah, I think God Hand and Anarchy Reigns provide the best templates for what a new Bare Knuckle could be. You'd have to give up same-screen co-op, but it could be worth it.

But Streets of Rage 2 was arguably the greatest side-scrolling beat-em-up ever

On consoles, maybe. While SoR2 is a sentimental favourite for me, there are tons of arcade beam-em-ups that are better.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, I think God Hand and Anarchy Reigns provide the best templates for what a new Bare Knuckle could be. You'd have to give up same-screen co-op, but it could be worth it.

Without same-screen co-op, I'd rather just... not have the game, really. It'd be like bomberman with online-only modes.

I dunno, I find it a waste of a franchice to make SOR into an Anarchy Reigns or God Hand, personally. They don't fill the same space, to me. Just like I don't see Double Dragon, Golden Axe and Dynasty Warriors as comparable beat-em-ups / Hack-and-Slash, or think playing Smash Bros. satisfies my need to play a 2D or 3D fighting game.

On consoles, maybe. While SoR2 is a sentimental favourite for me, there are tons of arcade beam-em-ups that are better.

I dunno... Just because I've played Battle Circuit and the D&D BEMs, I wouldn't call them better than SoR2. Nor do I think either of them are inheriently better than a professional game made with the ambition of SoRRemake.

SOR is nice because it's more complex and satisfying than Final Fight, yet not as full of obscure, awkward commands as Capcom's efforts. I think this helps it be more universally appealing, while still providing comparably fun gameplay and on-screen action.

I'm mostly just sad the 2D BEM genre is so rarely used now-a-days, that each game tries to ape features from whichever last one came out, rather than refining their own series. I miss the days when I could have, say, my favorite Konami, Capcom ,Technos, and Sega Beat 'em Ups, rather than having simply 1 favorite 2D and 1 Favorite 3D one per year.

Each developer had their own pro's and con's, and I wish we could see games in those styles still being made today.

seeing that video just makes me want to play Urban Reign again.

See, that's a 3D BEM that could take all the "modern" experimentation people wanna throw at it, and not be any worse for it. I really enjoyed that game, and wish Namco would make it onto a downloadble game series, and even cross it over with Tekken and Soul Calibur characters as guest, when appropriate...

Hiltz

Was this supposed to be downloadable title ? I can't imagine many retailers wanting to put a retro-inspired brawler on their shelves.

nullref

Without same-screen co-op, I'd rather just... not have the game, really. It'd be like bomberman with online-only modes.

I dunno, I find it a waste of a franchice to make SOR into an Anarchy Reigns or God Hand, personally. They don't fill the same space, to me.

I get where you're coming from. I already play a lot of other games with friends in same-room/multiple-consoles setups, so I'd be cool with it. I'd mostly just like something like God Hand or Anarchy Reigns, with a co-op campaign. It wouldn't have to be named Streets of Rage. :)

I dunno... Just because I've played Battle Circuit and the D&D BEMs, I wouldn't call them better than SoR2. Nor do I think either of them are inheriently better than a professional game made with the ambition of SoRRemake.

Have you tried The Punisher or Alien vs. Predator? As much as I love SoR2, I have to say I think AvP is better. I haven't found the time to play much of Remake yet -- I should really get on that.

ezekial45

Banned
I think a SOR game in the vein of Double Dragon Neon could be fun.

But I'd rather have SEGA just go ahead and publish SOR Remake. Such a shame. It was really excellent.

Hiltz

That's the only way a beat-em-up can survive in the industry as it is now.

Indeed. It's sad to see some of our favorite genres aren't as loved as they used to be. At least some game companies are still trying to offer theme to us anyway they can.

It's not that it's difficult, it's that nobody wants to.

There have been at least two attempts to make another SoR. This one and another for the Dreamcast. The DC game was being developed by Sega Japan. Unseen64 claims that it was canned because the people in charge of Sega America at the time didn't know what SoR was.

There have been at least two attempts to make another SoR. This one and another for the Dreamcast. The DC game was being developed by Sega Japan. Unseen64 claims that it was canned because the people in charge of Sega America at the time didn't know what SoR was.

I don't even...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This thread reminded me of The Bouncer, a 3D beat 'em up for the PS2, one of the first PS2 games I ever owned. Loved it.

sony_playstation_2-the_bouncer.jpg

Reminds me more of
256px-PS2FightingForceCover.jpg

That's the only way a beat-em-up can survive in the industry as it is now.

Koei still puts out full priced beat-em-ups

This thread reminded me of The Bouncer, a 3D beat 'em up for the PS2, one of the first PS2 games I ever owned. Loved it.

sony_playstation_2-the_bouncer.jpg

Don't remind me of this game, the beta footage showed so much potential.

Then again I guess I had to learn that mosts tech demos are bullcrap at one time or the other.

Korigama

Urban Reign was the Street of Rage sequel
I loved Streets of Rage, but I hated Urban Reign (the only good beat'em-up I played last gen was God Hand).

EDIT: Watched the video. Not as bad as I was expecting, but nothing really made me think of SoR besides the callback in the intro. The Fighting Force comparison seems about right.

eso76

i like how the enemy stands there, patiently waiting for the player to finish smashing the phone booth.

What you can't hear is the audio. The 'enemy' mob is actually asking the player to kindly stop vandalizing the local community. He's not a bad guy at all, but a community support officer that the 'hero' then ruthlessly beats down.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I get where you're coming from. I already play a lot of other games with friends in same-room/multiple-consoles setups, so I'd be cool with it. I'd mostly just like something like God Hand or Anarchy Reigns, with a co-op campaign. It wouldn't have to be named Streets of Rage. :)

Yeah, can understand that desire. I just wish we didn't have to so often choose between Couch and Online MP; I really like the fact that Vita / PS3 and Wii U enable Online-like Co-op with local players, but that's another story for another time...

It is a shame we haven't seen more Co-Op attempts at God Hand, and are still awaiting the western release of AR, though; those kinda genres are things I REALLY expected to see explode with online consoles (along with Powerstone becoming a genre of games), but history said otherwise... :(

Have you tried The Punisher or Alien vs. Predator? As much as I love SoR2, I have to say I think AvP is better. I haven't found the time to play much of Remake yet -- I should really get on that.

Yeah, love them both too, but still fitting into that "Capcom BEM" category. I really liked Punisher on Genesis, even, as well as arcade... And the Captain Commando games (as in, SNES and Arcade versions), really liked those, too.

Since I can legitimately play SOR any time I want to, but still have to put up with the shady gray areas to play many of the arcade greats, I'm much more attached and loving of SOR, though. And it's music, sound effects, overall pacing, and fairly perfect length just make it stand out very strongly, when taken all together.

... this reminds me, I wonder when Fist Puncher is going to come out... I wish there were many more indies making 90's arcade caliber BEM's, but I'll make sure to support the ones that are doing their best!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If all it was going to be was Batman minus the story, exploration, and cool gadgets, then I don't see why they would continue to make it. I guess it depends on if and how they were planning to differentiate themselves.

I might have gotten it at 15 if the music and boss fights were cool.

Xenon

It seems like all their efforts went to setting the stage, which was cool. But other than the arcade in the beginning I didn't see anything that connected it to the Streets of Rage games. The player was not recognizable as any of the characters from the series. There were no signature power moves. Even the music was a complete miss. Cheesy rock in a Streets of Rage game, come on!

SeanNoonan

It seems like all their efforts went to setting the stage, which was cool. But other than the arcade in the beginning I didn't see anything that connected it to the Streets of Rage games. The player was not recognizable as any of the characters from the series. There were no signature power moves. Even the music was a complete miss. Cheesy rock in a Streets of Rage game, come on!
To be honest in such a short time, the stage setting was the easiest and quickest way to get results - it's where the majority of my time went.
It's a pitch/prototype, it's not intended as a playable prototype (though it is actually playable). Typically meant to get the idea of a game across to a publisher.

Sure, it has issues, but it's a piece of my and Ruffian's portfolio that all involved should be proud of. I'm glad that people have finally get to see it :)

We were all dedicated and had a great fondness for the franchise, if that doesn't show in the video, than that's a shame, but even just in that level, there were plenty of nods to Sega and easter eggs.

The headline for this on Kotaku is "Wow, This Canceled Streets of Rage Game Looks Great." I bet this game would have seen scores of 6 and 7 across the board and criticized for repetitiveness. The thug at the end looking straight ripped from Crackdown says enough for me.

The Batman games, Yakuza, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, and now Double Dragon Neon, do enough of a good job keeping the beat 'em up vaguely alive.

They could just as easily polish it up and shop it as a Final fight game to Capcom.
It'd probably be better than Streetwise.

I actually recall reading last night that Streetwise was originally planned as a much more authentic Final Fight game, but then Japanese execs told the dev team to "Americanize" it. The end result was the mish-mash we got.

All I have to say is "thank you" to whoever decided to put this away. The presentation was great but everything else (the 3D, the gameplay, the animations, the generic style and characters, the music) was horrible.

Looks okay for an alpha build. I would still prefer a faster paced 2D SoR though. Like it has been said many times in this thread. Streets of Rage Remake is perfection. The best of everything of all the games. The classic elements of SoR1, the level design of SoR2 and the best gameplay of SoR3 with an amazing soundtrack with loads of replayability. I know SEGA could never top this game if they even tried. The remake is the best side scroller brawler bar none. That includes AvP, Punisher, Turtles in Time and the like.

The Batman games, Yakuza, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, and now Double Dragon Neon, do enough of a good job keeping the beat 'em up vaguely alive.

If these games are the best of the gen, this genre is in trouble. Batman is well liked because it does Batman very well, the combat is serviceable to that. It doesn't stand on it's own. While I haven't played the Yakuza games that much while the combat is good much of the other parts of the game are just as heavily focused on such as story and the barrage of mini games and sub games. Yakuza isn't a dedicated brawler. Scott Pilgrim is a fantastic game with fast and fluid classic gameplay that is very well designed but is entirely ruined with by piss easy difficulty. Even on the hardest difficulty it's a struggle to die even once. As for DD Neon, I have no idea what people see in this game. It's an alright co op game but it is horrendously ugly, with clunky slow gameplay. It's fundementaly sound but it is so boring and unsatisfying.

Has a 2d beat em up ever been translated into 3d and not been horrible?

How many 2D classic games have even BEEN converted to a 3D brawler? Final Fight and.....shit that's all I can even think of off the top of my head. Original 3D brawlers (like God Hand) work because there isn't any expectations of how it should look or play. Remade classic 3D brawlers have to work around much much more to be new and fresh but at the same time be reminiscent of the original work. Which is a near impossible task.

Zabka

How many 2D classic games have even BEEN converted to a 3D brawler? Final Fight and.....shit that's all I can even think of off the top of my head. Original 3D brawlers (like God Hand) work because there isn't any expectations of how it should look or play. Remade classic 3D brawlers have to work around much much more to be new and fresh but at the same time be reminiscent of the original work. Which is a near impossible task.

Ninja Gaiden

ETA: Castlevania: LoS was pretty good too. A solid framerate would have helped.

Altered beast, golden axe, shinobi

Top Bottom