• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to show off HMZ Prototype AR HMD at TGS ( teaser video)

amar212

Somehow I think that after boost of Rift someone at SCEI had to say something about it and potential development, and I really tip my finger on Kazunori Yamauchi.

Polyphony Digital is experimenting with the high-end video-tech since forever (they had fully operative 4K GT5:prologue back in 2008) and we know he's been very disappointed about lack of RAM available for implementing PSEye head-tracking in other GT5's games modes besides Arcade.

Few million R&D is nothing to Sony Tech Labs and integration of the company as proposed by Hirai (who sits in Polyphony Digital's Board Member chair together with Yoshida, with Yamauchi presidenting) could really turn the tide inside Sony.

I really hope it will happen in next 24 months, they have so much technology and knowledge on the tips of their fingers and they should know how there is army of people ready to buy something as FullVR (rift-style but in HD and 3D) with PS4 and games that would support it in the overall picture.

And many, many of Sony 1st party games are ideal for promotion and potential sales of such product. Just imagine Gran Turismo, Everybody's Golf (VR and gyro works like a charm on Vita game), Killzone and Little Big Planet..

Wishful thinking, I know, but if someone can do it, Sony can. Make us really believe Kaz. Both of you two.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Somehow I think that after boost of Rift someone at SCEI had to say something about it and potential development, and I really tip my finger on Kazunori Yamauchi.

Polyphony Digital is experimenting with the high-end video-tech since forever (they had fully operative 4K GT5:prologue back in 2008) and we know he's been very disappointed about lack of RAM available for implementing PSEye head-tracking in other GT5's games modes besides Arcade.

Few million R&D is nothing to Sony Tech Labs and integration of the company as proposed by Hirai (who sits in Polyphony Digital's Board Member chair together with Yoshida, with Yamauchi presidenting) could really turn the tide inside Sony.

I really hope it will happen in next 24 months, they have so much technology and knowledge on the tips of their fingers and they should know how there is army of people ready to buy something as FullVR (rift-style but in HD and 3D) with PS4 and games that would support it in the overall picture.

And many, many of Sony 1st party games are ideal for promotion and potential sales of such product. Just imagine Gran Turismo, Everybody's Golf (VR and gyro works like a charm on Vita game), Killzone and Little Big Planet..

Wishful thinking, I know, but if someone can do it, Sony can. Make us really believe Kaz. Both of you two.

They should really get the PlayStation people more involved with the HMD research. It seems to me only the movie dept is exploring it (pointlessly so IMO).

Ravage

Found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k321gmwXDV0

I don't understand how they did it but it looks incredible. AR stuff begins after the RE movie trailer.

Amazing O.O

It's unlikely to happen (mostly due to the entry price of VR) but just thinking about it makes me really excited.

Mr.Green

The Rift is already 3D and will be HD when it hits the market next year.

Well they didn't officially announce a release date so I hope I didn't jinx it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Does anyone know if it'll have much strain on eyes over long period of time(4+ hours)? After watching that video, I'm now interested to play/watch stuff using this thing.

Zaptruder

Banned
So basically, from a fixed position, with only rotational tracking to consider, you can convincingly interlace pre-recorded video with live video from the headset?

On one hand pretty cool. But on the other hand, more staging tech-demo wankery where little real applicable technology is derivable from it.

If Sony actually made money on doing tech-demos, I imagine they'd be able to turn around their flagging fortune.

shira

Does anyone know if it'll have much strain on eyes over long period of time(4+ hours)? After watching that video, I'm now interested to play/watch stuff using this thing.

Yes. Normal eyes can't handle more than an hour or two.
symptoms: drying, tired, soreness.
It's kinda like having light beams directly shone into your eye as opposed to your eye taking in all the surround light.

In terms of the weight. I found watching this thing lying down was perfect. Otherwise you have 1-2 pounds of weight pulling you forward. Bad idea. I'd rather have the occulus rift since it seems to be a lot lighter for head tracking applications.

There is no way you could do 4+ hour gaming session

DXPett1

Wishful thinking indeed but hopefully with all this vertical integration that is happening at Sony they might be able to make a real go-er of this AR stuff, tie it in heavily with the PS4 with games and apps that people will actually want to play (COD:BLOPs in your backyard yo dawg) rather than just a gimic and we might see Sony back on the top.

I just have this horrible feeling it will end up like 3D...nothing more than a gimmick

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yes. Normal eyes can't handle more than an hour or two.
symptoms: drying, tired, soreness.
It's kinda like having light beams directly shone into your eye as opposed to your eye taking in all the surround light.

In terms of the weight. I found watching this thing lying down was perfect. Otherwise you have 1-2 pounds of weight pulling you forward. Bad idea. I'd rather have the occulus rift since it seems to be a lot lighter for head tracking applications.

There is no way you could do 4+ hour gaming session
I see. Thanks for the info!
Looking forward to updated iterations of this.

patsu

I don't think they are competing at all. At least not according to the current HMZ specs and applications.

Rift is actual VR for games. Real time computer generated graphics, huge field of view, you in the game etc.

The HMZ is, as you say, an LCD strapped to your head offering an experience akin to watching an HDTV in a dark room. Nothing more than that besides the flawless stereo3D (since there is no cross-talking). This SR prototype here is a step forward in that it includes headtracking, but it's obvious to me that Sony is still going after movies rather than actual gaming VR.

The whole TGS 2012 demo is just a movie recorded with a ladybug camera. Think of it as a glorified Google Maps street view feature. Instead of a 360° pic you have a 360° movie (a 15fps one at that apparently - meh), and instead of using arrows to turn the view you actually turn your head.

Personally, I think Sony should stop pursuing (and spend R&D money for) this sort of apps as soon as possible and jump onto the Rift-like VR bandwagon. What they are doing right now is basically developing not just a new way to watch movies but to also film them. If not even think them. Yeah, good luck getting support from the movie industry.

Besides, the pre-recorded nature of movies negates any sort of head position tracking, and going by my experience with the Rift, you *do want* position tacking to avoid motion sickness.

Yeah the demo serves no purpose. It's not an app, just a random demo forced in gaming context.

It's not light-weight and utility-based like Google Glasses. There is zero useful content to go with the concept. At least with something like Google Glasses, you can overlay data with what you see. The Prototype-SR hardware is too bulky for such general purpose use.

And it's not VR gaming either. Looks like a costly, single person 3D movie watching tool at the moment.

They need to nail down the purpose and useful use cases first. Otherwise, the project will just wander all over the place.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So basically, from a fixed position, with only rotational tracking to consider, you can convincingly interlace pre-recorded video with live video from the headset?

On one hand pretty cool. But on the other hand, more staging tech-demo wankery where little real applicable technology is derivable from it.

If Sony actually made money on doing tech-demos, I imagine they'd be able to turn around their flagging fortune.

there are obviously technical hurdles to overcome, but this is a pretty fucking impressive demo of what AR could do.

patsu

there are obviously technical hurdles to overcome, but this is a pretty fucking impressive demo of what AR could do.

I was actually looking for hints of augmented and actionable *senses* rather than a passive, augmented reality view. AR itself doesn't really suggest any purpose. What and why do you want to augment reality instead of creating an entirely fictitious but highly desirable world for specialized purposes ?

They need to at least pair the device with powerful backend to morph real-time camera data (like the original Cell demo, Magic Mirror). Recorded data is not so useful. Then annotate the camera stream with infography.

They can also adopt a lower res, wider FoV goggle, then use more sophisticated camera (and other sensors) to zoom into far away scenes. Having the ladybug camera in the same room doesn't quite make sense. They can also set up multiple locations, and make these people appear together in the same room, etc.

How come you can't interact with what you see ? No Move , muscle input, or PSEye integration ?

The demo is just aimless.

Hanmik

Kotaku has a writeup about it..

http://kotaku.com/5945181/ive-seen-...m_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

As for the HMZ itself, the OLED screens lend to a beautiful picture, though the head-mounted display has the standard flaws. Depending on the shape of the head of the user, it can be difficult to comfortably wear the device, and many people find the dual-screen setup to be disorienting.Kotaku had reporters at the Tokyo Game Show 2012 Sony booth, playing Metal Gear Rising Revengeance on an HMZ and there were complaints of lingering headaches. At the demonstration at the Prototype-SR booth, however, the staff went to painstaking efforts to ensure the best, most immersive experience with the Substitutional Reality System and that is indeed what was delivered.

The Prototype-SR is very much an experimental prototype (hence the name). As mentioned above, according to a Sony spokesperson, the purpose for its development is to showcase the potential of the HMZ and that there currently are no definite plans to market the Prototype-SR.

Still, the concept is quite intriguing, and the experience itself was a lot of fun. Private home-use would most definitely be restricted by the visual development side rather than the hardware itself, so logically, something along the lines of an amusement park attraction would probably be more feasible as a foreseeable use of this technology. Strictly promotional or not, however they end up using it, it will awesome to see, zombies and all.

orioto

Good Art™
yeah i'm not that impressed cause it seems so specific to a particular thing... And the fact is that i don't like the idea of AR, and this huge uncomfortable thing is certainly not the ideal setting to use AR in a flexible way...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not really. It's just a very staged demo that works well within some pretty severe constraints.

It's true, it's benefitting from many assumptions and constraints, for sure.

But it's meant to be a preview of what might be possible.

In the future, when translational tracking can be added, when 'SLAM' type environment mapping is robust, and when rendering is high quality, we'll be able to do AR stuff like this in a more general way, and in more general environments, with more game-y application. Progress continues on all those fronts.

This demo was shortcutting some of these problems to give you a taste today. I think it helps people envisage that future and its potential better than words describing that scenario can.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's true, it's benefitting from many assumptions and constraints, for sure.

But it's meant to be a preview of what might be possible.

In the future, when translational tracking can be added, when 'SLAM' type environment mapping is robust, and when rendering is high quality, we'll be able to do AR stuff like this in a more general way, and in more general environments, with more game-y application. Progress continues on all those fronts.

This demo was shortcutting some of these problems to give you a taste today. I think it helps people envisage that future and its potential better than words describing that scenario can.

Stuff that I kinda agree with. Except that the demo will be experienced by a very limited handful of people.

And the people experiencing it either already know the potential is available to AR/VR or probably aren't influential enough to change the minds of many/affect much change.

The most value this whole thing has in creating those videos of the guy in the chair and the woman that may or may not be there in his field of view.

And in concept terms, it's kinda neat, but it doesn't really translate the sensation of experience. Really just another way of marketing the Sony HMD, and maybe hinting at the direction that they want to progress in (i.e. equip it with camera+motion).

Even the latter is 'ephemeral' at this point. No concrete plans - just another Sony: "hey this is cool, have a look, ok now back into R&D it goes" demo.

After the advent of Oculus Rift... I just find it really hard to be impressed by this smoke and mirrors deal that Sony are putting up. That's speaking as someone with boundless enthusiasm for this kind of technology.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Stuff that I kinda agree with. Except that the demo will be experienced by a very limited handful of people.

And the people experiencing it either already know the potential is available to AR/VR or probably aren't influential enough to change the minds of many/affect much change.

The most value this whole thing has in creating those videos of the guy in the chair and the woman that may or may not be there in his field of view.

And in concept terms, it's kinda neat, but it doesn't really translate the sensation of experience. Really just another way of marketing the Sony HMD, and maybe hinting at the direction that they want to progress in (i.e. equip it with camera+motion).

Even the latter is 'ephemeral' at this point. No concrete plans - just another Sony: "hey this is cool, have a look, ok now back into R&D it goes" demo.

After the advent of Oculus Rift... I just find it really hard to be impressed by this smoke and mirrors deal that Sony are putting up. That's speaking as someone with boundless enthusiasm for this kind of technology.

I agree that the first-hand experience is something only a few can have...but I think even getting it into the media, getting people writing about it, helps put some flesh on the idea for people. I remember trying to describe the idea to people years ago, and it seemed really difficult to convey the potential, back then anyway. I think when people see a set up like this, even second hand, it gives them a bit more to work with.

Anyway, where this prototype SHOULD go is over to SCEE, where people have been working on SLAM stuff, shown before on Vita.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3qbrQKz_Kk&feature=relmfu

Would love to see new versions of this demoed with this headset in the future. It might not be as a 'realistic' as the TGS demo, but it is 'real' in the sense of tech usable and applicable today.

But Sony might not want to do that too much, publicly anyway, if it - or tech like it - isn't yet a certain part of its roadmap...

Palmer can use the Rift for 10+ hours straight apparently...

And some people in the HMZ-T1 thread said they used the thing for 7+ hours straight, if I recall correctly.

I do get tired from using it after an hour or so, but for me it has more to do with physical discomfort than optical issues. Also I usually have short attention span these days, I rarely finish watching a movie in one setting, even on a regular screen.

Top Bottom