• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

:D

(KS backer email for ST:TNG)
We wanted to update you that PC/Steam beta testing has begun. The PC version should be out in less than a month for those of you that have been patient enough to wait, this is exciting news.

:D :D :D

Minsc

Gold Member
CaGE8qk.jpg

Updated OP with banner for table pack 17, and the current going guesses for the table pack 18 hint, Tee'd Off (Gottlieb, 1993) & Haunted House (Gottlieb, 1982).

Only three table packs left in the season 2 table pack pass, then on to season 3! So many tables and it still hasn't even launched on quite a few platforms. At least if they drop season 2 to $30 like season 1, after season 3 starts being sold for $40, you'll be able to get all ~60 tables from the three seasons for $100 if you're catching up on another platform.

CaGE8qk.jpg

Updated OP with banner for table pack 17, and the current going guesses for the table pack 18 hint, Tee'd Off (Gottlieb, 1993) & Haunted House (Gottlieb, 1982).

Only three table packs left in the season 2 table pack pass, then on to season 3! So many tables and it still hasn't even launched on quite a few platforms. At least if they drop season 2 to $30 like season 1, after season 3 starts being sold for $40, you'll be able to get all ~60 tables from the three seasons for $100 if you're catching up on another platform.

I completely intend to do this, should things pan out that way.

Hmm, Terminator 2 is pretty awesome, but its probably the fastest to all 5 Wizard goals I've done on any table thus far. The one that gave me the most trouble was the 5 million plus point shot, but even then once I realized that you get another second or two cushion after the arrow stops flashing that was enough for me to slow down, capture the ball and hit the loop again. Does it have a reputation for being a somewhat easy table? Last time I remember playing a real one was in high school, I know our roller rink had one. But it seems super easy as far as ball control and there are really no bad drains outside of occasionally if you fail on the left ramp it can miss the peg and DDTM, but even then I had a couple instances where it just clipped the peg with enough force that it shot back up the right outlane and back into play.

Vyse24

Well today my MS points became $$$, so I have more options to spend it on should TPA fail to be updated at the end of September.

Vyse24

Update:
More great news for the Mac! Are you ready for Judgment Day? We are excited to announce that Table Pack 17: Terminator 2 is available today for OSX!

This table should already be unlocked for Kickstarter backers. You might need to log out and log back in to see it in your My Tables list. If your Kickstarter email is different than your FarSight email and you haven't already let us know about it, please email us at support@pinballarcade.com so we can update your entry in our database.

Thank you so much for backing us and helping us get this great table released! This would not be possible without your support, and we thank you for sticking with us through thick and thin. Keep an eye out for news on future updates!

hey, was it confirmed that PS4 purchases would count as Vita cross buy? I just ordered a Vita. I'm waiting to buy the PS4 versions come launch, but I'm hoping that'll get me the vita ones too.

Also, that trailer for the PS4 version on the PSN store. So beautiful, unless of course, you don't like night visuals. I do. I'm going to play so much Circus Voltaire, and I'm going to reload the table until I get the purple or blue neon tube EVERY TIME.

Shaneus

hey, was it confirmed that PS4 purchases would count as Vita cross buy? I just ordered a Vita. I'm waiting to buy the PS4 versions come launch, but I'm hoping that'll get me the vita ones too.

Also, that trailer for the PS4 version on the PSN store. So beautiful, unless of course, you don't like night visuals. I do. I'm going to play so much Circus Voltaire, and I'm going to reload the table until I get the purple or blue neon tube EVERY TIME.
There's a discount, but not 100% cross-buy.

There's a discount, but not 100% cross-buy.

maybe you misunderstand me. I know if I buy a table pack on PS3, I get the Vita version free, and if I want the PS4 version of that table pack there will be a discounted upgrade from PS3/Vita to PS4.

I think I remember rumblings suggesting that a PS4 purchase would be crossbuy with Vita the same way a PS3 purchase is. Perhaps this isn't possible, but obviously I hope so.

I guess my perspective on it, is I understand why the PS4 tables shouldn't be free to current owners as they are a significant upgrade over the PS3 versions, and additional work has been done porting them over. But the same isn't true in reverse...

They confirmed that if you already have the PS3/Vita versions that you will have to pay extra for the PS4 versions. I've heard no confirmation about what happens if you buy the PS4 versions, though I thought I'd heard *something*.

Shaneus

Ohhh.... gotcha. I don't believe they counted them as I don't think they can have it go both ways from essentially different applications on different platforms to the same application on another one. Unless maybe they release another client for Vita that has cross-buy exclusively with PS4... hmm.

Triz

Finally decided to mess with my ps3 settings to correct the lag issue. At 1080p there was terrible flipper lag making the tables unplayable. Didn't really bother me cause it ran fine on the vita. But today I went and forced the ps3 to 720p mode and the game works fine. Don't know why they never bothered to fix this.

Shaneus

Finally decided to mess with my ps3 settings to correct the lag issue. At 1080p there was terrible flipper lag making the tables unplayable. Didn't really bother me cause it ran fine on the vita. But today I went and forced the ps3 to 720p mode and the game works fine. Don't know why they never bothered to fix this.
I don't think they can. Perhaps they can't without a major client revision which I think on PSN is impossible to do (can only do "updates", not full-blown software replacements afaik).

PS. Entered a tourney last night, elimination on a super low scoring Metallica. At least it was low scoring for the whole night (talking an average of 10-15m for most people) until some dude I was playing against got 225m on the fucking thing. In a single ball. In his next game he had a total score of 5m. FUCK.

Still, good fun though :) And I suspect I'll get an IFPA entry out of it, too :D

Triz

That Metallica table might be my favorite table from stern since lord of the rings. Haven't played tron though.

PSV version got a patch. Probably new tables tomorrow. Can't wait.

PS3 version did too. I haven't loaded it though to see if there's any differences.

My vita arrives on Wednesday. Pretty excited for the free Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball content I'm going to have for it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
PS3 version did too. I haven't loaded it though to see if there's any differences.

My vita arrives on Wednesday. Pretty excited for the free Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball content I'm going to have for it.
I just checked: Whirlwind and Championship Pub are both in the trophy set now.

Congrats on your PSV purchase. It's a fine system. I've truly enjoyed TPA on mine, and I've used it to replay Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in order to decompress from playing through The Last of Us. Such a relaxing game, and beautiful screen to play it on.

Shaneus

That Metallica table might be my favorite table from stern since lord of the rings. Haven't played tron though.
Almost all Stern tables are turds compared to even the average tables from the 90s. Not just in design, but build quality as well. A table that's been out less than 6 months should NOT play like the one I played last night. Thing played like it'd been on location and unserviced for a few years. The other machine that I didn't get to play much (X-Men Magneto LE) seemed fairly tight but had a fucking broken rubber on it already. Pretty sure it was new.

PS. I hate all the people who want to get into pinball but get a Stern. For the price, they could either buy two *quality* tables or save a few grand and buy one.

Congrats on your PSV purchase. It's a fine system. I've truly enjoyed TPA on mine, and I've used it to replay Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in order to decompress from playing through The Last of Us. Such a relaxing game, and beautiful screen to play it on.
Ooh, I'd like a relaxing-y sort of game to play on it... and I've never played a Castlevania. Is it on PSN for cheap? Is it worth it?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Almost all Stern tables are turds compared to even the average tables from the 90s. Not just in design, but build quality as well. A table that's been out less than 6 months should NOT play like the one I played last night. Thing played like it'd been on location and unserviced for a few years. The other machine that I didn't get to play much (X-Men Magneto LE) seemed fairly tight but had a fucking broken rubber on it already. Pretty sure it was new.

PS. I hate all the people who want to get into pinball but get a Stern. For the price, they could either buy two *quality* tables or save a few grand and buy one.

Ooh, I'd like a relaxing-y sort of game to play on it... and I've never played a Castlevania. Is it on PSN for cheap? Is it worth it?
I am colored by my nostalgia, so grain of salt. I can play through it without a guide and get 95% of the secret areas for the "full" game. (Quotes are so I don't spoil you on the game's big secret.) It's just my way of feeling good and enjoying the sights and music.

baphomet

For fuck sake...the textures in Championship Pub are super blurry on the Vita. At this point I'm about to pack it up and call it a day on the game, and refuse to purchase anything Farsight develop. I've purchased every table pack they've released, yet Farsight just keep fucking up. You can only give someone so many chances.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just got this email.
Hello again T2 Backers,

For those of you who chose PSN as one of your platforms. IF you are using the non-US PSN store, please reply to let us know what region you are in.

U.S. users need not reply.

Thanks!
Hope that means soon. Like next week soon.

The Dory Hill campout is tomorrow!
I just need to get some booze, corn tortillas and a dolly and I'm ready to go.
I'm going to break down my Bally EightBall tonight to take over. It's looking like there will be ~30 people and about that many pins as well. I'll take some pictures if I can.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Grabbed the standard goal list for Whirlwind on a flight back from SeaTac, Washington, and four of the five standard goals in Champions Pub.

Any advice on the video mode in Champions Pub? The targets move way too fast at the end.

Shaneus

TK7XWCb.jpg

Pretty happy with that result, considering it was my first :D

PS. I was on the receiving end of that 230m ball on Metallica. Fucking smarted, that did.

Grabbed the standard goal list for Whirlwind on a flight back from SeaTac, Washington, and four of the five standard goals in Champions Pub.

Any advice on the video mode in Champions Pub? The targets move way too fast at the end.

Spittin' Gallery? Just keep playing, eventually you'll get one where you don't have to move too across the whole screen too many times.

Hey, now that I have the vita version, maybe some of y'all can add me on PSN. I'm 'plagiar1ze' on there.
No, nobody beat me to plagiarize. I had that user name and retired it.

Give me some motivation to get my presumably paltry scores up to snuff.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Indeed, PSV scoreboard/friends bug is fixed. Yay!

I think when I looked on Tuesday, I was checking using a table that just came out (Whirlwind) and no friends had yet posted scores. Duh.

Shaneus

Sweet. Now, just push that ranking up and up. :)
Oh, you know I will! The pub they had that comp at just got in a Metallica Premium. Psyched.

Only shit thing to come of all this is that the state finals I qualified for is on the same fucking day I have tickets to see Fleetwood Mac (that I got for Christmas last year). Hoping they'll let me enter another state's finals (rather than Melbourne, fly to Sydney which is a few weeks later). I wouldn't be so bummed but I've seen first hand just how much luck can come into it, with my first two (and only, I think?) victories coming not because I played well but because the other dudes were unlucky with some drains. No reason I couldn't ride that shit out to a finals victory (I'd just have to be SUPER on-point the whole day).

If anyone here is contemplating going into some kind of tournament or meet or something, just try it.

Other thing that surprised me was that only one or two of the people there I spoke to (out of ~20?) knew about different designers etc. Most of them drew blanks when I asked them who their favourite was. Guess that's the difference between a person who likes pinball and a gamer who likes pinball. Only one or two had even heard of PAPA! So strange coming almost right off PAPA 16 only a few weeks ago.

Oh, you know I will! The pub they had that comp at just got in a Metallica Premium. Psyched.

Only shit thing to come of all this is that the state finals I qualified for is on the same fucking day I have tickets to see Fleetwood Mac (that I got for Christmas last year). Hoping they'll let me enter another state's finals (rather than Melbourne, fly to Sydney which is a few weeks later). I wouldn't be so bummed but I've seen first hand just how much luck can come into it, with my first two (and only, I think?) victories coming not because I played well but because the other dudes were unlucky with some drains. No reason I couldn't ride that shit out to a finals victory (I'd just have to be SUPER on-point the whole day).

If anyone here is contemplating going into some kind of tournament or meet or something, just try it.

Other thing that surprised me was that only one or two of the people there I spoke to (out of ~20?) knew about different designers etc. Most of them drew blanks when I asked them who their favourite was. Guess that's the difference between a person who likes pinball and a gamer who likes pinball. Only one or two had even heard of PAPA! So strange coming almost right off PAPA 16 only a few weeks ago.

congratulations man! maybe one day I'll follow that advice of yours.

Shaneus

Man, you have nothing to lose. I got to play maybe 2 hours of pinball, talk shop with people from completely different perspectives to mine (most of them were shorter than me ;) ) and learned some new techniques. Cost me absolutely nothing at all. No charge for the machines or the comp, just beer and dinner :)

Look something up, see if anything's around your area and go for it. You honestly don't have anything to lose and you may seriously surprise yourself! Honestly, you could wind up being super lucky... I was lucky that my lowish score at AusPAX was in the perfect bracket to get me qualified for state finals, lucky that the guys I played against in this comp just couldn't handle the table quite as well as I could and that it was easy enough for me to get to.

Remy

Since no one posted it...

Everyone's been guessing... and now we're proud to announce Table Pack #18, Haunted House and Tee'd Off!

Haunted House™ (1982): was designed by John Osborne and is widely considered an iconic pinball game with its innovative features, beautiful graphics and haunting sound. This was the first table to have a triple level playfield that was accessible by one ball. The three playfield levels represent the cellar, main floor and attic of a haunted house. Players use eight flippers to move their ball through the three floors of spooky fun by shooting up and down ramps, tubes and trap doors that lead from one room to the other. Come inside, but pleased be warned, you’d best not play alone. 6,835 units of the table were produced.

Tee’d Off™ (1993): Designed by Ray Tanzer and Jon Norris, this Gottlieb® table features a humorous golf theme and a mischievous gopher, reminiscent of the movie 'Caddyshack'. Players are challenged with completing rounds of golf in order to activate high scoring multi-ball modes. It has an extensive set of rules and great features such as the roulette Gopher Wheel, a Volcano up-kicker on the playfield and the animated gopher named Gunther, who sits on top of the back glass and shrugs his shoulders in sync with audio that taunts the player. 3,500 units of the table were produced.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Gunther probably can't hold a candle to Buzz and Bud in terms of trash talking. I might play Tee'd Off for a little bit until I get the standard goals, then go back to No Good Gofers.

Top Bottom