• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Gator86

just got back into tf2, damn i missed this game. they just need to drop some new content. things are getting repetitive and stale.

It's a terrific game but the support has been straight garbage. I'm sorry. I know there are reasons for it, but one reheated map from TF1 and some pilots-only shit mode is basically nothing. I was only playing when friends were on before and now that the release calendar is fucking stacked I'm not playing at all. All the data-mined stuff does nothing to provide optimism either. It's a bunch of extra modes and no new content otherwise for the most part. New titans, kits, and maps are essential at this point and no one at Respawn really seems to realize this.

Izuna

Banned
Drydock has awful spawns

Exoplanet is roof top central

Crashsite and Complex stand out but these other maps don't have the detail of OG Titanfall maps. They are all on the same vein as Sandtrap or (what I think is) Zone 18.

Why have the Sidewinder be a Grenadier weapon that is super useless at Titan/Reaper killing?

I really miss the EPG glitch.

I'd take Mozambique + Archer if I could, but sadly...

And love to hear your take on this. Oh, and for constructive criticism there's been plenty. Also, let's be fucking honest here- 5 months in and we have 10 maps: 1 horribly shitty that i quit out of all the time now (crash site), 1 shitty as fuck but ok for LTS (complex), and 1 remake (angel city) that doesn't play as well because of how crazy powerful the weapons are at rooftop shooting at range.

The game isn't a lost cause, i still have fun from time to time but there's things they could change immediately to make the game better, but they don't and they don't because the people left playing the game are the apologetic ones. Most that had a solid grasp of what Titanfall was, or could be have moved on.

:/

Guess i dont know what Titanfall is then...

SwolBro

Banned
:/

Guess i dont know what Titanfall is then...

And you probably don't, but that's ok. Your enjoyment is all that should matter to you. It doesn't mean i have to take your opinion seriously though. Ya know?

I never understood this postmodern mentality where what's relative to someone, their opinion, somehow is relevant despite being horribly misinformed or lacking knowledge. I'm not going to listen or even consider the opinion of those that don't actually play the game at a certain point where i can see that they'd be knowledgeable about the mechanics, about how the game actually plays when you're doing things to push the physics.

Maybe it's just me, maybe i'm different, but i'd never criticize something i don't think i have a true grasp of. I wouldn't go debating with a seasoned tax accountant about taxes when i've only used quickbooks to tally up a W2 income or a skiing instructor on proper technique or about a specific skii course when i've only snowboarded a few times. Feel where i'm coming from?

Gator86

And you probably don't, but that's ok. Your enjoyment is all that should matter to you. It doesn't mean i have to take your opinion seriously though. Ya know?

I never understood this postmodern mentality where what's relative to someone, their opinion, somehow is relevant despite being horribly misinformed or lacking knowledge. I'm not going to listen or even consider the opinion of those that don't actually play the game at a certain point where i can see that they'd be knowledgeable about the mechanics, about how the game actually plays when you're doing things to push the physics.

Maybe it's just me, maybe i'm different, but i'd never criticize something i don't think i have a true grasp of. I wouldn't go debating with a seasoned tax accountant about taxes when i've only used quickbooks to tally up a W2 income or a skiing instructor on proper technique or about a specific skii course when i've only snowboarded a few times. Feel where i'm coming from?

Holy shit, this is probably the most pompous, ridiculous post I've seen in OT1 or OT2. I know it's your thing, but you probably could post without being a raging dick. You don't like TF2. That's fine. They have a game for people who like TF1 - it's TF1.

Izuna

Banned
It makes sense why this is happening. The sort of people who want to keep discussing the game so much tend to be those who are bored doing competitive or talk meta.

This game has gone in a strange direction, like CE to 2, while being told to us by people like Frothy and Respawn themselves that it is as fast and more balanced than the original. What Titanfall 2 came out as is not competitive, so those who are looking for it are constantly perplexed as to why it isn't. A lot have moved on who had another game to turn to, but to people like Swol, who adore competitive Titanfall has been waiting for Respawn to address what can only be seen as issues.

These balanced updates we have gotten so far seem to try and make this game fairer, but they're band-aids that are simply too small for the holes in balance.

Now, I get why competitive Titanfall banned so much shit. I was wrong to say that we should be looking for new meta because to be honest, Devotion in it's entirety is extremely unfun. Like with the Volt, and like Bungie, Respawn isn't going to balance these new additions properly, so why include them in the first place?

If the Reddit community are begging for Titanfall 1 Maps being ported (which I understand takes a long ass time/they don't have the team in place to do it quickly), then why not start with Titanfall 1 and improve that?

Why go in this other direction, give it to us in the Tech Test, then fight with small balance updates to try and undo their this new vision no one asked for?

I appreciate that people love this version of Titanfall 2. That's cool, but the frustration of people who felt that it could have been better isn't going away.

What currently irks me is this feeling that Titanfall 2 won't see as many CUs as the original. I was hopeful for Respawn and eager to see how they updated the game, but it's not happened.

We were told originally it was due to a holiday, but I think they don't know what direction to go in.

The answer they gave to the Brain vs. Battery discussion was... "we can't give you Brain, even though it won, but we promise to make Battery better!" As if they didn't know that Brain was liked more by a majority or something...

And for the whole "just play Titanfall 1" discussion... That game isn't receiving updates and many modes are out right dead. It isn't current.

Maybe a server browser would have kept it played more on PC, who knows?

Live Fire update, as long as it took to receive it, sets a troubling precedent. The next update can't be that luke warm.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
So.... got play TF1 then?

I see list of complaints (or preferences depending on who you are), And that's cool, because you know, opinions are awesome!
But it's like, you go on at length like TF2 is supposed to make YOU happy or owes you something, because, I don't know, you put a bajillion hours into across multiple platforms, you can 1000/1000 in record time, you have a crazy high KDR, etc.
Look, we get it, you love the franchise/put a shitton of time into it and thats.... fucking awesome!
But, everything you go on about (and CONTINUE to go on and on about) is merely YOUR opinion and while I do appreciate you sharing it.... at some point you need to just... I dunno, move on?

I seriously don't understand what you are trying to accomplish here because other than going on about how awesome you are at the game, how much time you put into and how you wish it was Titanfall1....

...it's like, not TF1, man!

But yeah, Titanfall 2 MP being a misstep is YOUR opinion and you're free to just stop engaging with it if it truly makes you unhappy.
Others in here tho, don't share your opinion (but I feel have left cause they got tired of hearing the same complaints over and over again from the same people) and are fine (for the most part) with the rate of which stuff is getting fixed, rolled out, etc., because maybe we play other games in the meantime? Maybe we understand what Respawn is trying to accomplish here? (for free, let's not forget that one), or maybe we really just don't care and can still have a modest amount of fun with it

There's constructive criticism and then there's just being difficult because you can...

I'm not trying to be asshole or anything but, yeah man, coming into this thread is just gotten increasingly more and more depressing and it just shouldn't be like that

I can't speak to comparisons between TF1 and 2 because unfortunately I haven't played the first, but I can say that the bolded describes me and my engagement with this thread to a T, for whatever it's worth. I was actually just catching up on the last few pages and saw this post and it made me sad chuckle, so I figured I would share that.

SwolBro

Banned
Holy shit, this is probably the most pompous, ridiculous post I've seen in OT1 or OT2. I know it's your thing, but you probably could post without being a raging dick. You don't like TF2. That's fine. They have a game for people who like TF1 - it's TF1.

I can't speak to comparisons between TF1 and 2 because unfortunately I haven't played the first, but I can say that the bolded describes me and my engagement with this thread to a T, for whatever it's worth. I was actually just catching up on the last few pages and saw this post and it made me sad chuckle, so I figured I would share that.

Right, right but players like yourselves aren't the ones that will spread the passionate word of mouth, or keep the game alive years later. You come and go, follow trends or what seems like everyone is playing, and won't stick around that long.

For others like myself it's the only game we play. Why wouldn't we want the proper things fixed? If you played just as much or had a really deep understanding of the game you'd be complaining about the same things.

Swol, this is why I stopped for today: https://streamable.com/f4rvn

Hopefully we can have more GGs later tho!
I don't have an issue playing on euro servers. next time.

SwolBro

Banned
If anyone is interested- really high level ronin (as well as other titans) play. You'll see how to reload cancel really fast with Ronin

https://www.twitch.tv/dinosaurd123

EDIT: A good point was made in this stream- The new titan combat concept was based off of fighters. 1v1 Titan fights were a big part of how they balanced these titans first. It shows in the amount of high level 1v1 fights that take place within the community.

So, Respawn why no 1v1 LTS gametype???? Prime example of mind boggling decisions by Respawn. A mode that would be hella fun and hella competitive and of course NADA.

Right, right but players like yourselves aren't the ones that will spread the passionate word of mouth, or keep the game alive years later. You come and go, follow trends or what seems like everyone is playing, and won't stick around that long.

For others like myself it's the only game we play. Why wouldn't we want the proper things fixed? If you played just as much or had a really deep understanding of the game you'd be complaining about the same things.

Dude.... you seriously are digging yourself a hole here

Did you just basically say others aren't on YOUR level and won't spread the gospel accordingly?

You don't know any of us, so who the hell are you to tell us what kind of people we are and essentially call us chaff?

Relax with this shit, seriously

SwolBro

Banned
Did you just basically say others aren't on YOUR level and won't spread the gospel accordingly?
No, considering i was replying to the post about players enjoying many games and so they're ok with how this game plays i assume that type of player hops on a lot of games so they tend not to stick with 1, and get passionate about 1 game. Not a big stretch to assume they would be vocal about it in other ways then, eh?

jm89

Pfft, as if we're getting an OT3. This game will have less replies than the original.

Maybe it will die out before OT3, who wants to constantly here how this game should be like tf1? Or how this game should be tailored for the "passionate"?

Izuna

Banned
Maybe it will die out before OT3, who wants to constantly here how this game should be like tf1? Or how this game should be tailored for the "passionate"?

When we're getting Titanfall 1 maps, weapon skins and modes in future updates ~~ it sounds like it's exactly what's being attempted anyways.

Colony was a map that had a few complaints in the original and as of now, Reddit is convinced it'll be awful with A-Wall and some of the long-range weapons. Comparisons to the original are natural.

bigJP

When we're getting Titanfall 1 maps, weapon skins and modes in future updates ~~ it sounds like it's exactly what's being attempted anyways.

Colony was a map that had a few complaints in the original and as of now, Reddit is convinced it'll be awful with A-Wall and some of the long-range weapons. Comparisons to the original are natural.

agree.
maps in one game dont necessarily translate well into another. gameplay is way too different. look at angel city.

wish they would make original maps

jm89

That's great, i hope people understand that the game will still play like tf2.

Tokubetsu

I'm still having a lot of fun with this game. One of the best shooters on the market to play solo.

Same, ive even re-adjusted to the pc version (coming from xbo). When you're holding you're own in this game nothing else quite feels like it. You're some future god melting ppl and calling in giant mecha. Hits some part of my brain man that nothing else on the market rn itches.

https://streamable.com/ll08j
https://streamable.com/a2hgp

I had some fun with LTS the other night. But it does have a fatal flaw. A straight up bad player or two on either team just breaks the game.

One round in particular stands out to me. I push a left lane, and see two enemy titans across the map. I poke them with two laser shot crits and try to duck back into cover. But two very late teammates are now pushing out behind me, making it impossible to get to safety without running past them. It's pretty annoying but fine, I'll leave them to a 2v2 where I have already given them an advantage and go push another lane. Not 5 seconds after I arrive to help with the battle that's shaping up on the rest of the map those 2 enemy titans have pushed through the left lane, destroyed the two crappy teammates without taking any additional damage beyond my laser pokes and have us in a pincer with their teammates. That's bad. But what's worse is of course they have their core abilities. So I could try to 1v2 them while my teammates try to 2v3, but that's impossible thanks to the cores. Or I can try to push the front as a 3v3 hoping to get away from the 2 flanking but that's also completely impossible because of their cores.

And it's not like it was a hard situation, like say 2 teammates crumpled in LTS in the original Titanfall. You expect to lose that every time if the remaining players are all equal in skill, but you could fight your way out of it some of the time if you and your remaining teammates happen to be better. But the other team in this case wasn't even all that good. They just weren't incompetent.

LTS in TF2 kind of works as a competitive mode but there is no competitive matchmaking. As a casual mode it can easily turn into a shit show. It's a similar problem to many COD games where one or two bad teammates will feed kill streak after kill streak to the other team, but somehow even that doesn't feel quite as bad because you can kill a guy in 150ms flat to get him off his kill streaks, and it's generally in respawn modes that it's a problem, S&D UAVs and the like notwithstanding.

As for Swol, aside from disagreeing about the best way to fix things, his criticisms are for the most part on point. Titanfall pilot combat aside from the basic 'can you aim' is ostensibly about mastering parkour, out-maneuvering and out-flanking your opponents. That needs to be the style of the apex players for it to really work. But bottom-line in pilot combat if you want your best chance of winning, you have to adopt something along the lines of an A-Wall camping style. Because at the same skill level it just outright beats parkour.

In Live Fire, when I run into good opponents, and we're having epic parkour battles and not having try-hard battles it's great fun. But at some point, maybe once one team gets to 2 or 3 wins, something ALWAYS happens. People switch to try-hard mode because they realize they're actually in danger of losing. And then there's A-Walls and G2s everywhere. And anyone who has been happy-go-lucky parkouring pushes a lane and dies instantly. It sucks.

And that's why I'm always just going back to R6 Siege after a few rounds of TF2. That's a game that never betrays what makes it unique and fun.

Izuna

Banned
FNN came out and honestly, it's a glorified "wait until next week to hear about what you guys already know"

In April we will "hear" about their next plans.

Das it

Arrrammis

FNN came out and honestly, it's a glorified "wait until next week to hear about what you guys already know"

In April we will "hear" about their next plans.

Das it

I'm having serious flashbacks to Destiny's weekly update blog... All this is missing is a "Deej, out" at the end.

That FNN is ridiculous. They told us that it wasn't ready and to wait for next week. Then next week came and the actual FNN is them saying they're not ready and to wait for the next one. Then they stamp a date on it as if they've had any success in pushing out a freakin' bi-weekly newsletter on time in the first place.

They're still referring to it as a March update, that doesn't give them a whole lot of time to talk about Colony again and get it out. I don't get it. Just move it to a monthly format and talk about what's coming, even if it's not set in stone, even if it has warts.

So what's the deal with Coliseum? I still really enjoy it, and it seems like the trash loadout where you just high-noon your opponent with the Wingman Elite in the first 2 seconds of the round has been replaced by a far more interesting loadout, grapple-hook + Mozambique + Softball + Gravity Star.

So is it on a weekly rotation? Was that just a change that was made because the new loadout was so bad and it's more on a timescale of months before you can expect it to change again? Has any of this been communicated someplace that I just missed? For all the hemming and hawing about not having stuff to put in FNN, how have they not bothered to explain it there?

SwolBro

Banned
As for Swol, aside from disagreeing about the best way to fix things, his criticisms are for the most part on point. Titanfall pilot combat aside from the basic 'can you aim' is ostensibly about mastering parkour, out-maneuvering and out-flanking your opponents. That needs to be the style of the apex players for it to really work. But bottom-line in pilot combat if you want your best chance of winning, you have to adopt something along the lines of an A-Wall camping style. Because at the same skill level it just outright beats parkour.

In Live Fire, when I run into good opponents, and we're having epic parkour battles and not having try-hard battles it's great fun. But at some point, maybe once one team gets to 2 or 3 wins, something ALWAYS happens. People switch to try-hard mode because they realize they're actually in danger of losing. And then there's A-Walls and G2s everywhere. And anyone who has been happy-go-lucky parkouring pushes a lane and dies instantly. It sucks.

And that's why I'm always just going back to R6 Siege after a few rounds of TF2. That's a game that never betrays what makes it unique and fun.
Quality post. Wish i was a better communicator. =| I get frustrated too easily and lash out. I could never be a teacher, imagine that?

As for the FNN.... i think it's safe to assume most of the team is working on other stuff? Star Wars, Mobile game, concepts for future games, etc. 11 maps (2 remakes, 2 shitty maps, rest mediocre) is not going to help the longevity of this franchise. I can't emphasize that enough.

They explain this shit in Rando Reddit posts like it's the only community that matters.
It's mainly jay posting and he doesn't really post here does he?

bigJP

playing against a-wallers and g2's make me rage hard. if i wanted that, i would play cod or bf. parcouring is what makes this game great. the movement and titans. i refuse to use ar's because it justs slows my game down. prefer using a shotgun so that i actually need to traverse the map to get my kills

I don't really like the Titanfall subreddit for a number of reasons. But I guess that's a better place to get news on this game than here just because of the low volume. I did search for Coliseum posts but if there's stuff explaining exactly what's going on it's kind of buried.

Oh, and what a shock, one of the top posts is someone 3D printing something from the game derpaderp. Who. Fucking. Cares.

SwolBro

Banned
I don't really like the Titanfall subreddit for a number of reasons. But I guess that's a better place to get news on this game than here just because of the low volume. I did search for Coliseum posts but if there's stuff explaining exactly what's going on it's kind of buried.

Oh, and what a shock, one of the top posts is someone 3D printing something from the game derpaderp. Who. Fucking. Cares.

It's a good place for that type of "oh look at this" stuff. It's a feel good sub. Any dissenting opinions, which there are a few brave souls attempting, get shut down immediately and with the same tired responses of "you need to flank!" or "nah, everything is fine look at me potato this other potato" and so on and so on.

All the credible voices have vanished from that place. Even the hardcore PC guys aren't there anymore it seems.

Dylan

Heya. I just got Titanfall 2. I've played a couple of multiplayer matches so far and haven't done super well. Any tips for a new player?

Arrrammis

Heya. I just got Titanfall 2. I've played a couple of multiplayer matches so far and haven't done super well. Any tips for a new player?

Practice wall running and sliding to keep moving faster, and figure out which weapons feel best to you. Being able to fly around the maps without ever touching the ground is awesome! SMG's like the CAR and R97 are good for close range and accurate hip firing, while guns like the R201, Devotion, and Hemlock are better for mid range, and the G2 and snipers are best for long range shooting. Titans in general take some learning, but Tone and Ion are probably the easiest to get the hang of (just be sure to manage your energy meter with Ion).

Play through the campaign if you haven't already, it's the best FPS campaign I've played in recent years and it gives you plenty of practice with learning the movement system and game mechanics.

Izuna

Banned
I didn't see anything wrong with the FNN, yall just always gotta to be negative.

respawn is not a conventional devloper,they have always had it rough. This isn't first for an EA game,I think we give it some time a few months the news,updates will get on solid ground,its a godamn video game. I mean I am addicted to titanfall 2,I'd love to have updates weekly and have new content 24/7 but GUESS WHAT things take time,so quit you whining. I for one enjoy the variety in the content updates,also another thing DOES NO ONE READ the leaked threads,we have alot of content coming,we knows its coming. HELL EVEN co op mode something I cannot wait for. So stop complaining,wait,play titanfall,laser core some tones,go,use the cold war,brutalize some people with legion. Have some fun until our next content drop pilots. I know I will

~~

just so it isn't clear, this is a reddit post

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to

I get you - I probably had similar feelings related to Halo, which used to be my main. So I am familiar with the frustration. But I also just stopped playing and or posting about it at some point - just my experience (and it is a bummer and I did hold on for a game before giving up on it). Maybe there should be 2 OT's, one focused more on criticism and one focused more on casual talk about the game, lol, because I feel like this phenomena isn't unique to this thread, and it is good for this kind of criticism to happen (for example, I really want to play TF1 now).

I will take issue with some of your characterization of me, however - I really appreciate a number of things about this game (the unique and badass mechanics, the pedigree of the developers, the free DLC, among others), it is my main shooter, main online game, and the game I spend the most time playing, I bought a copy for one other person and convinced a third to buy the game to play together, and I actually do care about the game's success. I bought DLC that I don't use to support it.

So, we're on the same side in rooting for the game to be both successful and good. I just wish it weren't such a bummer in here sometimes, that's all.

SwolBro

Banned
I didn't see anything wrong with the FNN, yall just always gotta to be negative.

Yeah, it's unhealthy to be always so negative.

But I gotta say, this game can have so much bullshit in it sometimes.

You guys think people just WANT to be negative? That's simply not true. I'm super happy after the rough initial launch of the new mixtape that it's going as planned. It's superb, it's something i wish they had since launch. Truly did wonders for the variety in the matchmaking. I give credit where credit is due.

I won't give credit for taking months to nerf devotion/hemlok, and i sure as hell won't stop complaining about only getting 11 maps 5 months in. That's awful. You guys have to agree with that at least!?

Arrrammis

You guys think people just WANT to be negative? That's simply not true. I'm super happy after the rough initial launch of the new mixtape that it's going as planned. It's superb, it's something i wish they had since launch. Truly did wonders for the variety in the matchmaking. I give credit where credit is due.

I won't give credit for taking months to nerf devotion/hemlok, and i sure as hell won't stop complaining about only getting 11 maps 5 months in. That's awful. You guys have to agree with that at least!?

I agree on that and many of your comments about the game in general. No offense intended, but you just come off as abrasive and elitist with how you phrase some of your comments and replies to conversations in this thread, and you're not alone in that. It's where I think most of the negativity and misunderstandings in this thread come from honestly. Everyone wants more maps, everyone wants more customization options, many people want adjustments to the pilot outlines and aim assist. People have different playstyles, so there will always be a debate on maps (Complex is one of my favorites for lots of routes and smooth walls for running, even though a lot of people hate it), but pretty much everyone agrees that Crash Site is terrible for a variety of reasons (spawns, unreliable wall runs, unpredictable terrrain).

I miss the days at the launch of the game when everyone was excited and chatting freely with the devs, we just want something to be excited about. As Izuna mentioned earlier, the next 3 or so content releases have been leaked on reddit (I don't feel like I should post them here for integrity's sake and knowing they may not be entirely accurate, but they should be easy enough to find if you want to), showing new weapons, maps, Prime titans, and game modes, so there are things in development. I just wish that we could have a general list of what things are coming in what order over the next year or so. I don't even need dates, just something to discuss and be excited about.

Izuna

Banned
I used to somewhat dislike abrasive tone towards the support we get for this game but I really feel like Respawn aren't being honest with how much they are supporting this game.

I think the FNN mentioning Star Wars is like "sorry guys, we're focusing on that instead"

That being said, I managed to get an FFA game this morning, but literally everyone but one dude quit the game...

I get what you mean.

because ffa sucks

Ya I'm not a big fan of FFA either. But hey, double xp.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I guess if you guys don't like what we're doing we could always stop spending our development time and dollars supporting Titanfall 2 and move on to something else? ;)

I'll say I used to frequently read this thread but the constant "We know better than anyone" attitude isn't very helpful. I'll happily read through walls of text, usually, but after a while its hard to take things seriously around here. The signal to noise ratio becomes too diluted. Obviously everyone is allowed their opinion, but at some point you have to realize there are people on the other end who have spent years of their lives poured in to a game - often at the expense of things like a social life or time with their families. Some decency and respect for that goes a long way. Not looking for sympathy (we all chose to do this for a living and love the hell outta it), just the reality of the situation.

For reals though - its been pretty tough recovering from shipping the game and there's a whole boatload of legal reasons we can't talk about our plans. Blame who you want (I'll definitely take some, if you'd like), but thems the breaks. Even posting an FNN takes a ridiculous amount of effort - the likes of which you wouldn't believe. I share an office with Jay and I watch the poor guy battling day in/day out with all these outside forces.

We've got a lot of really smart, passionate folks cranking away on really cool stuff. Wish we were allowed to say more, and release quicker, but unfortunately I don't get to decide how the cookie crumbles.

Top Bottom