• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman Season 4 |OT| Fuck Man, What Else Is There To Say

Fancolors

I just watched episode 10. Had to stop for an appointment, but boy do I feel a lot emotions right now.

Weakest part of this season so far has been Todd, but everyone else's writing is just so fantastic.

I was not prepared for how dark this season is. Then that ending. Wow.

I love it.

Also, pay attention to all the background gags and commentary, it is some of the most socially aware, politically charged brilliance I have ever seen.

Like there are so many fucking digs at everything going wrong right now with the world it is insane, I had trouble keeping up. I need to go back through on my PC and screenshot my favorite ones.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Lovely season, but as usual Todd is the weak link. His zany misadventures never really appealed to me – the
clentist thing
was just a big "uh, ok, I guess". I did dig the storyline about
him being asexual
though, it was handled really well.

No major spoilers here but I'm kinda bummed they didn't do a Generic 1999 Song this season. They've done Generic 90's Grunge Song, Generic 80's New Wave Song and Generic 2007 Pop Song.

Finished my first watch of this season. Episode 6 was ... hard. Episode 11 wasn't as rough as last season, but
my grandmother is going through alzheimers, so watching the episode jump around the holes in her memory was a bigger gut punch than expected.

The final episode of the season was good. Not that I want this show to end, but if that was the ending I would be satisfied with it.

Also waaaaaay too much time was spent on the whole stupid election subplot. I was also in the "fuck Todd" camp, but
the episode where it shows how much he runs around trying to help everyone sort of softened that. I like Todd, but it's almost annoying how much everything seems to just fall into place for his own life.

Narag

Another great season. I don't really binge anything anymore but always make an exception for this Don't think it quite had the sharp edges of the previous seasons that'd catch you offguard but the start to finish oppressiveness is arguably harder to deal with.

Keasar

Episode 5:
"I can't believe this country hates women more than it loves guns."

That was awfully depressing.

Tall4Life

Through Episode 7 right now. Not really feeling it too much, honestly. I'm much more interested in Bojack's story than the side characters and I feel like things returned to normal too fast after what happened in the finale of the last season

though i haven't finished the season yet, so that will probably change

Great season. Par for the course.

Episode 11 was the real standout for me.
Very creative way of dealing with dementia.

kris.

Banned
Ep5
kinda shocked we got a "fuck"
this early in the season and it's mostly played for laughs but for some reason it shook me a lil. also totally called Bojack saying it woo

PSqueak

Banned
Just started the season on my lunch break, i love the season premiere being all silly shenanigans and then going super dark for the second episode.

At the beginning playing Bojack's grandfather 1940's misogyny, Racism and infidelity as a gag culminating how it wasn't funny at all when he got his wife a lobotomy.

Also seeing the traumatic events leading to Bojack's mother becoming a cold unloving person was pretty fucked up.

daveo42

Banned
Episode 12:
that was way more of an upbeat ending for Bojack than I ever expected. Not so much for PB and Diane. Maybe this is finally the turning point for Bojack.

I'll post my feelings on the season later, probably after a rewatch. I do feel that there wasn't one standout episode in season 4 like season 3's Fish Out of Water, but the season on the whole was great. They also tackled some real complex issues in smart and interesting ways and with the level of care they deserve.

Edit: Anyone else feel like each episode was longer and more densely packed than in seasons past?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just finished. Was a really great season and they kept things fresh throughout. There were some hard moments but was a little more jolly than the other seasons.

I'm guessing the next season will deal with
Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter discussing where their life is going and if they should just get a divorce, Todd exploring having an Asexual relationship and other business ventures, Princess Carolyn maybe dealing with Adoption and the stress that comes with it being a single parent and dealing with her business, and Bojack working on that Filbert Project and Building up a Sibling relationship with Hollyhock.

I do wonder how many more seasons they may do and how it all might end when the final season is around.

I personally think that the series will end with either Bojack's death or him finally being able to move past Horsing Around, one or the other. I don't think it's coincidence two of the main cast and those closer to Bojack who were from Horsing Around have died since the series started, and how the Bojack's life is basically a reverse sitcom since he seems to have based almost all of his values on Horsing Around and Hollywood life rather than on actual living, and his life is on a vicious cycle where he never learns a thing even after having so many opportunities too again and again, like a character on a sitcom, but rather than it being endearing it's majorly destructive to his life.

Yeah, it's a great season overall, and definitely more upbeat overall, even if
Beatrice
's episodes were some of the darkest yet.

And I'm getting the feeling that
Diane hooks up with BoJack
in season five, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

cHaotix8

Finished my binge watch not too long ago and feel that this may be may favorite season yet. The first episode got a couple good laughs out of me but things didn't really fall into the BoJack pace until ep 2. 2,6, 9, and 11 were home runs.

Also, pay attention to all the background gags and commentary, it is some of the most socially aware, politically charged brilliance I have ever seen.

Like there are so many fucking digs at everything going wrong right now with the world it is insane, I had trouble keeping up. I need to go back through on my PC and screenshot my favorite ones.

Yeah, definitely gonna be looking for these on my rewatch. I'm sure I missed a ton since I was focusing so much on the plot. Love these little easter eggs.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
And all watched,

God there was a lot of strong episodes this season. Probably my personal favorite following that he's finally getting better and it's getting a bit easier each day for him.

Episode 6, 9, 11 and 12 are the strongest done for me. There was some very powerful moments that hit the core to me.

The brother bit and Bojack smiling in the end was great. I really felt that he's going to be heading to better things and going to become a better person.

Top Bottom