• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name one documentary that you feel people should watch and explain why

The Corporation

Code:
[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71RlYsWTAxL.jpg[/IMG]

This film is a must-see. It examines the behaviour of corporations in society in the same way a psychiatrist would evaluate a patient. The finding is that corporations pretty much behave like psychopaths. The film shows how much that behaviour affects society.

I think the documentary is required viewing for anyone living today.

Zukkoyaki

I love "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold." It's an amazing look at the advertising industry and how ad placement/revenue works. Gives some serious perspective to how our media world functions. Basically, the documentary is him going around try to get the ad revenue... to make the documentary. Really cool and really different.

greatestmovieeversoldposter.jpg

Century of the Self: About how the ruling class used the work of Edward Bernays to psychologically control the masses and society. Its pretty eye opening as to how programmable we humans are and is a must watch IMO. I promote it on my FB feed but people would rather post about dumb shit.

The Act of Killing.

I expect this one may come up a lot, but it is one of the most gripping pieces of filmmaking i have watched.

Joshua Oppenheimer investigates the mass killings of accused communists in Indonesia during the 60's by asking the preparators to re-enact how they killed people for a film they are to make. It is an unsettling look into the human condition, but a film that will knock you sideways. Special.

Tim's Vermeer

Tim Jenison basically takes a theory that Vermeer used mirrors/light to paint his photo-realistic style of painting. He starts with a crude prototype to prove his method and ultimately attempts to recreate Vermeer's "The Music Lesson".

Really an amazing look into art vs technology and who can be considered an "artist".

le.phat

OJ_Made_in_America.png

If you want to know WHY the US is the racist shitshow it is today.

frontpage-23.jpg

This one takes a bit more explaining.

This documentory follows an old man that used to be an indonesian gangster that was as popular as he was feared. The Indonesian goverment used gangs and thugs to ethnically cleanse Indonesia in the 70's, without reprocussions because ...'gangs will be gangs' i guess?

Anyway, in order to get this man and his posse of grandpa gangsta's to open up to the horrors of their actions, they propose to make a film about their 'adventures'. Not only do they star in the film, but they get to direct it as well. What follows is an absurd and heartbreaking teardown of a man's psyche. The third act of this documentary is one of the most powerful things i've ever seen on film.

The Thin Blue Line

The_Thin_Blue_Line_poster.jpg

Probably the gold standard for modern documentaries. The story of a man who was wrongly convicted for murder. I believe the film itself actually influenced the court's decision to overturn his conviction. It has aged very well for a film approaching 30 years old.

Kill3r7

Shoah. A nine hour documentary about the holocaust. As poignant as ever.

Honorable mention Thin Blue Line and Hoop Dreams.

Aizo

Banned
The Great Happiness Space.

It's about the host club industry in Japan. I think it's a perspective on Japan that people are largely unfamiliar with, and it's very interesting. Throughout the film, I think most viewers start to view the people differently and question the customers as well. Just a terrible industry that hurts a lot of people.

My friend used to be a host in Osaka, and he had to quit because the job made him so guilty. He said he saw things he wished he never saw.

MindofKB

Omt0pjj.png

It's not about the fish, Its about a man & his family so passionate about one thing that they devoted their lives to perfecting the art.

Also it's about fish.

I came to this thread to mention this doc and it's the 3rd post. I'm proud of you, GAF.

Also, if you need inspiration or you're very passionate about a particular craft, this is the documentary for you. It brought me to tears to see the level of dedication in this family.

I love documentaries. The Staircase is the best crime documentary I've ever seen. It basically gives an inside view of the legal defense of a man accused of killing his wife. Truly disturbing and fascinating.

But I think my favorite documentary might be When We Were Kings. It's the inside story of Ali v. Foreman aka the rumble in the jungle. I guess it's deeper subtext is about what it's like to be a black man in America, and how society projected ideas onto both men. But it's also just the greatest story ever told imo.

Hoop Dreams needs to get a shoutout as well.

Metalmarc

IMG_7652.jpg

From the Films description

This stirring documentary follows numerous visionaries in healthcare including social worker Dan Cohen, founder of the nonprofit organization Music & Memory, as he fights against a broken healthcare system to demonstrate music’s ability to combat memory loss and restore a deep sense of self to those suffering from it. Rossato-Bennett visits family members who have witnessed the miraculous effects of personalized music on their loved ones, and offers illuminating interviews with experts including renowned neurologist and best-selling author Oliver Sacks (Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain), healthcare visionaries Dr. Bill Thomas, Dr. Al Powers, Naomi Fiel, and musician Bobby McFerrin (“Don’t Worry, Be Happy”).

Being a fan of music I love Documentaries on anything Music, even if I dont really like the genre of music much. This Documentary is not about genres of Music or a particular band or Artist though, its more Medicine, The Human Mind and Music.

I like seeing how Music positivley affects people, in this, you see people who suffer from dementia, and its not pleasant, it was heartbreaking in fact, but then seeing that little spark of life coming to them as they given their favourite Music to listen to and just for a moment in time, it was like they were sane of mind again, it was if they were unlocking their lost minds, it was wonderful and reaffirmed my belief in Music having a positive effect on people and the Human mind.

Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies.

Besides being a hilarious and nightmarish depiction of a notorious scumfuc, Hated probably provides a hint as to what Todd Phillips's Joker will be like.

Century of the Self: About how the ruling class used the work of Edward Bernays to psychologically control the masses and society. Its pretty eye opening as to how programmable we humans are and is a must watch IMO. I promote it on my FB feed but people would rather post about dumb shit.

My answer. Adam Curtis does good shit.

HotHamBoy

This and all Adam Curtis docs.

Hypernormalization
Power of Nightmares
The Trap
Bitter Lake

All of these docs are on youtube in full. They are great looks at how 20-21st century Western society has been manipulated to where it is today.

Hypernomalization is probably the one that feels the most relevant to what's going on today in a post-Trump/Brexit world since it came out last year.

And yes, Adam Curtis predicted Trump would win and after watching these docs you'll understand why.

kaiju

Gimme Shelter. One of the greatest rock and roll documentary's ever, shining light on one of the darkest days in music history.

The Altamont Speedway concert on Decemeber 6th, 1969 was a free concert held at a derelict rundown race track in the outskirts of San Francisco. Hastily put together (by the same guy that did Woodstock), the Stones put the Hell's Angels in charge of security of 300,000 people, and the concert takes a fascinating yet abysmal fall into violence, bad acid (see: The Wolfman) several fights (even a musician gets knocked out), and the tragic death of Meredith Hunter.

It's like watching the end of the hippie counterculture right before your eyes. And it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj6y6tohW_0

Belker

Dark_Days_theatrical_poster.jpg

Dark Days. It's about a group of homeless people living in tube train tunnels in New York.

Fascinating and thought-provoking, in the sense it gets one to think about one's desires and their validity. It's also got music by DJ Shadow.

Blader

Dear Zachary

dearzachary.jpg

Nothing I have ever watched has evoked so many emotions.

This was actually going to be my pick, with the caveat that I couldn't explain anything about it.

This movie fucking devastated me. No movie ever devastates me! Even the ones that are emotionally disturbing or upsetting don't hit at a level that this doc does. But I literally yelled, out loud, at the screen at one point because of this story.

HotHamBoy

Dark_Days_theatrical_poster.jpg

Dark Days. It's about a group of homeless people living in tube train tunnels in New York.

Fascinating and thought-provoking, in the sense it gets one to think about one's desires and their validity. It's also got music by DJ Shadow.

That's some Metro 2033 shit. Depressing.

The Thin Blue Line

The_Thin_Blue_Line_poster.jpg

Probably the gold standard for modern documentaries. The story of a man who was wrongly convicted for murder. I believe the film itself actually influenced the court's decision to overturn his conviction. It has aged very well for a film approaching 30 years old.

This was going to be my suggestion since I just saw it a couple of weeks ago. It's kind of like the precursor to Serial and Making a Murderer. This documentary was released in 1988 and it showed how this guy got railroaded into a conviction. Every system failed him. Every single one. It's made more egregious that the actual killer admitted he committed the murder right after he did it, but all of that was ignored.

Ken burns baseball: like all kens work its really long. But incredibly intetesting. A deep kook into American culture through our first professional sport.

Bbcs Auschwitz: another long one. Haunting, atmospheric and incredibly well done. Let this serve as a reminder of who the Nazis were, what they did and how we can never grow complacent when it comes to hate and whay its capable of.

King of kong: well this is a video game forum. While alot if this is played up for dramatic effect. It is incredibly entertaining regsrdless. So much hinged on such small stakes. Its wonderful.

The Frontline documentary Money, Power and Wall Street.

Easily the most exhaustively comprehensive and informative documentary on the 2008 economic collapse as well as being an unbiased look at how both sides of the political aisle helped to facilitate it.

O.J. Simpson: Made in America

Brilliant, insightful look at not only the case itself but the events that helped to shape it and the way the media covered it.

I Like Killing Flies

Portrait of an eccentric restaurant owner in New York who runs what looks like a bit of a dive but in reality the food is exceptional and the man himself incredibly interesting and intelligent.

Even if you’re not much of a sports fan, I still highly recommend ESPN’s 30 for 30 series.

I don’t have any real affinity for most sports but regardless I’ve found many of these documentaries to be fantastic.

The War on Democracy.

Wikipedia blurb: The War on Democracy is a 2007 documentary film directed by the British filmmakers Christopher Martin and John Pilger, who also wrote the narration. Focusing on the political states of nations in Latin America, the film criticizes both the United States' intervention in foreign countries' domestic politics and its "War on Terrorism".
Cosmos.

Because Carl Sagan.

Also this. +avatar quote

Lots of good suggestions already. I have tons to recommend but this is the first one that springs to mind.

Because it's a better procedural / trial movie than any fiction you'ever watched.

Because it's as relevant today as it ever was.

Empty

land-of-silence-and-darkness.jpg

werner herzog's land of silence and darkness is an eighty minute long look at the life experiences of the deaf-blind in 1970s germany.

i think people should watch it for two reasons.

firstly the film largely follows a deaf-blind woman called fini straubinger who is for me the single most inspiring person recorded on celluoid. she spends her life traveling around the country trying to communicate with, connect to and improve the lives of others who are deaf-blind. her passion is overwhelming and to her there is no such thing as a lost cause, i find her persistence in simply trying to make some of the most isolated, disconnected people less alone deeply moving. the film is filled with her encounters with people who have been forgotten finding joy in a simple limited communication with someone who tries.

secondly it is a very powerful look at how fragile our connection to our world is and what makes up our conception of existence & reality. the film shows kids who are born blind-deaf experience the sensation of water, a hugely terrifying experience. a great line is where someone says, through an incredibly complex touch based sign system, that if there was a world war going on none of them would even notice. the final sequence is that of a middle aged man aimlessly wandering around some trees delicately feeling the leaves one by one. i cannot watch it without crying.

hqdefault.jpg

hbkdx12

MV5BMTQyNDc5NTUzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM0MTAzOQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Bit of a startling look at the all the things that we agree to (but don't read) and how it can ultimately work against us in terms of what it allows these companies to do with our information and who can potentially have access to it

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Little Dieter Needs to Fly

Werner Herzog documentary about a Vietnam war hero named Dieter Dengler. Grew up in post WWII Germany but emigrated to America.

It’s an insane look at individual strength and heroism and doesn’t ignore the costs.

Ultimately a story of incredible triumph.

hoopdreamsbig.jpg

Because you're a RACIST if you don't! No, it's a really good look at the obstacles faced by black people, whether they're poor or not.

One criticism though: At the end we find out the kids had known each other all along. That's never mentioned before and they're never shown together. What a missed opportunity.

Top Bottom