• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Youse Guys" a bad phrase?

Painguy

Hi GAF, I just got off the phone with my schools insurance department after asking few questions. The person the other end seemed rude to begin with and refused to answer my questions constantly. Finally I asked, "Well, really what I wanted to know is if you guys allow a external provider to utilize on campus services, could you-" The person on the other end interrupted me and said "It's not you guys, its you guys and gals. Remember it's you guys and gals. There are gals too." I was kind of shocked and began to stutter. Here I was trying to make sure I wont go broke by getting my meds n suddenly Im getting lectured lol. I didnt mean any disrespect. As far as I was aware, "You guys" has always been an inclusive statement. Everyone I've ever known be it male or female or other genders have always used "You guys". Anyway, after lecturing me she still didnt answer my question so I just said thank you and hung up.

The reason I made this thread is to just make sure that "You guys" is ok. I did a bit of googling, but GAF talks about these kinda of things dairly often so I figured you...all might be a bit more knowledgeable on the matter. I know you dont use the term for formal and professional situations of course. Thanks GAF. Please let me know if I should bother changing this habit. Tbh tho i dont know a short alternative aside from yall and that just sounds icky lol.

Y'all is superior, no matter what people outside of the south think about it.

Edit; although I do like how delightfully old-timey 'You all' sounds as well.

Aurongel

Hardly the most assertive show of heteronormativity/masculine preference. There is a gender bias inherent to it but this to me is such a low scale offense that I doubt I'd ever be the type of guy to call someone out for it.

I'm from NY so I'll stick to my "ayyyy yooze guize".

Unit 33

'Folks' is the best collective noun in my experience. I seemingly get away with it in even the most formal emails.

It’s a common saying. That being said I do try to tone down my usage of it, especially in email. I opt for you all, folks, etc.

No, I don't think inherently it's a bad phrase, but people are going to get offended at whatever they deem offensive. In this case, I believe the person on the other end of the phone was being petulant, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
guys = group of guys or guys and girls
girls = group of exclusively girls

other languages have similar setups, spanish does this also.

‘man’ also refers to the humans in general.

Xe4

Banned
I think it's fine. Guys, dude, etc. are all pretty gender neutral, even though they started out specifying men. That's how I see it anyhow.

I manage three queer women at my job in SF. I called them "you guys," then asked - "oh, I should probably not use that term huh?" They laughed, and with some pity for my clueless straight white ass, told me not to worry about it. Anecdata and ymmv and all that but it's not a universal anathema, yet.

I try to use "y'all," but a lot of women around me still use "you guys." Living in Southern California for what that's worth.

It helps to be mindful about it if you can, but I don't think there's any big campaign to switch away from "you guys" just yet. I'd say anything like what OP experienced can safely be called an overreaction.

EYEL1NER

I would have followed up with "Okay, thanks. But back to what I was saying: Do you guys allow external providers blah blah blah..." and asked my question again. The person on the phone with you was just being an ass.

Lord Fagan

There's political correctness, then there's just being polite.

This person you spoke to cannot seem to grasp either concept, OP. You're cool.

I would not use you guys/hey guys/etc in a professional setting. There are nigh on infinite alternatives that aren't exclusive of people who don't identify as "guys".

I wouldn't use it with people I didn't know as friends either.

Not American here so perhaps the culture is different.

Wood Man

tenor.gif

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I have tried to avoid it more and more in emails and on my podcast just because it is potentially something that might bother SOMEONE and it's not hard to work on it.

"You" already functions fine as a plural, but I say ya'll cuz saying "you" can come across passive aggressive.

I'm from Missouri, but growing up men and women alike said "you guys" to just mean "everyone who can hear me" in a casual way.

Top Bottom