• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs PC specs (x64 only, Quad Core minimum, recommended 8-core and 2GB VRAM)

KKRT00

I agree for current game engines 100%, but since development for next-gen will be centered around 8 physical cores, even though they're weak, I'm concerned that in a year or so we'll be seeing games that actually require 6-8 cores to properly run.

Multithreading doesnt work that way. It means that engine create jobs that are distributed as threads to CPU and how CPU handles them, is irrelevant to the engine.
So for example if You have 2 cores running at 2ghz and 1 core running at 4ghz, You'll calculate both threads in the same time on both configurations [if scaling is 100% and there is no additional load on any of those cores of course].

So something like i5 2500k will always be faster in handling code than 6 jaguar cores, probably twice faster 95% cases.

And games will be centered around 6 cores, not 8. Two cores are locked for games on both next-gen consoles.

Serandur

I guess this marks the beginning of the end for my laptop's usefullness for the latest games. Can't wait to build a new PC...

Eusis

64 Bit OS is one way to make you buy the game on consoles...
Of all the possible barriers to entry this is the lowest.

As in, "WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ON A GOD DAMN 32-BIT OS!?" low. The only reason I have it on my laptop is because it's aging, made the 8 upgrade easier, and I wouldn't put in more RAM than the 3 GB that's already there, and if you have hardware like that you're completely fucked in regards to playing this anyway, especially as I used it on BL2 since I was away from home at the time, and it ran at a subpar FPS while STILL overheating and eventually glitching visually.

Ty4on

So there is essentially no real difference between 8 physical cores, and 8 threads from 4 cores? At least for gaming.

I totally depends. If they manage to put the load evenly on eight threads then eight cores will benefit, however one desktop CPU core is so much more powerful than a Jaguar core it can work through several threads at the same time. For comparison the quad core Jaguar laptops are lowish end while dual core Intel laptops are high end at similar clockspeeds.

It is very hard to distribute gaming load over many threads because it is unpredictable and in games you don't just want raw rendering performance, but also smooth performance. 200fps one moment means nothing if you get 10 the next.

And hyperthreading (if the app is able to load all the threads) increases performance by around 30%.

Grief.exe

I'm sure I will, but it's good to know I won't have to :p

I don't need to max everything out, you're right. I'm crazy about frame rate, need my 60fps, but other than that I'm good.

I'm running BF4 on high with SLI 560 tis, 1 GB Vram, and getting 60-75 FPS. All on an unoptimized beta, with unoptimized drivers, with SLI not performing correctly. And you have a significantly better set up than I do.

I don't think Next-Gen will be an issue if you don't mind some small consolations. In my case, I turned AO off and AA down a couple notches.

The question now is will my i7-3770,GTX660 run this better than ps4

Yes.

Why did you not get the 'K' version?

64 Bit OS is one way to make you buy the game on consoles...

This is ridiculous, we have to leave those few behind at one point.

At most it will cost you $30 worth of RAM to upgrade your system to x64 based.

So glad I stopped putting off my new build. My E6850 and 8800GT had great times together but we haven't had fun in a while. Just built a 4770K / GTX 770 ACX rig so I am good to go. Still deciding if I'm buying this on PC or PS4 though.

Ps4 is capped at 30 fps. Nuff said.

kharma45

Great. Gonna have a hard time deciding between an i5 and an i7 if the former's days are that numbered.

I wouldn't discount the i5 at all, I'm pretty sceptical over these specs just like the recommended 3GB of VRAM for BF4 was nonsense. Time will tell but I'd be pretty confident an i5 will be perfectly fine.

Banned
8 cores or 8 threads? I got a quad core i7 3770k and gtx 780. I Better be able to run this on max 1080p60

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
My i7-920@3.8Ghz is still holding the line. My cpu is so old, but it's still kicking. Hopefully my 680 takes most of the brunt force.

zainetor

Banned
When it comes to CPU's I think any i7 in the 3xxx line and up is going to hold you this generation. AMD has some decent 8 core CPU's but Haswel-E is coming sometime and I intent to keep an eye out for that since I have the motherboard that supports it.
So, is it going to be a 2011 socket? Eh i knew i should have gone with a 3820 :( instead of a 3570k. At least i could have kept my mb with that.

Gbraga

8 cores or 8 threads? I got a quad core 3770k and gtx 780. I Better be able to run this on max 1080p60

This is part of that same NVidia program that helped porting Blacklist, right? If so, I wouldn't worry, that was a really good day one port, aside from the patch issues.

If it's not, then, well, it's Ubisoft, even SLI Titans would drop to 40fps in some random city with nothing going on.

kharma45

My i7-920@3.8Ghz is still holding the line. My cpu is so old, but it's still kicking. Hopefully my 680 takes most of the brunt force.

Your CPU is still pretty great tbh. It'll still perform better than AMD's 83xx line up in games.

So, is it going to be a 2011 socket? Eh i knew i should have gone with a 3820 :( instead of a 3570k. At least i could have kept my mb with that.

It's on 2011-3, there is no upgrade path from what is currently available to it. Be happy with your 3570K, it's a great CPU and it was much cheaper than a 2011 one too.

Gumbie

The 9000 ones are. They were launched at 3930K prices iirc and didn't come anywhere close to them in terms of performance. They were just a dick waving exercise from AMD to say they had a 5GHz processor, which they didn't really as that was the turbo speed.

As for the rest they're still poor next to Intel's offerings. I have moderate hopes for Kaveri mind.

Not to mention how much power they use and how ridiculously hot they run.

jet1911

You could do that on a Hyper 212, all depends on the silicon lottery. What cooler are you using? Temps seem pretty poor for that clock speed.

Generic heatsink and fan. I thought that 85c was pretty high so I downclocked to 3.3.

Antec Kuhler 620.

Works really well. 65C at 4.8 ghz is about the max temp I see while gaming. Could probably get to 5 ghz but I've hit a voltage wall and it requires too much voltage to be stable at 5 ghz. The silicon lottery is a bitch.
Interesting, I'll look into that, thanks!

Azsori

From time to time I really wonder why PC isn't more mainstream...then I read a thread like this and come back down to Earth. So much confusion and denial over straightforward requirements...

JohngPR

We've had multicore consoles for years, albeit on a totally different CPU architecture, and that didn't lead to games on PC becoming highly threaded.

I'd be impressed if we even get to using all 4 cores of an i5 within the next couple of years, it'd be good progress.

AMD FX-9xxx line is terrible, stick to Intel if you want to upgrade.

This is what I keep hearing. Just apprehensive to pull the trigger since I'll have to buy a new MOBO as well.

kharma45

Generic heatsink and fan. I thought that 85c was pretty high so I downclocked to 3.3.

That's why then, 4GHz is the very top end OC you can expect from that piece of crap. 85c is the very, very max you'd want your CPU at too.

Invest in a Hyper 212 wherever you are in the world, they're cheap and very good. It'll depend on the silicon lottery but you'll likely get a good OC out of it with much safer temperatures.

This is what I keep hearing. Just apprehensive to pull the trigger since I'll have to buy a new MOBO as well.

8350 isn't the worst upgrade but it's only comparable with Intel CPUs from 2009 or so.

McLovin

Sounds like a lazy port if it needs that as minimum, oh, ubisoft you say?
This happens every generation. Why anyone would buy anything less then a mid-range gaming pc right before a new generation of consoles comes out is beyond me. Ports always take a huge hit, performance wise, with a new generation comes out.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Haswell-E will be on LGA 2011-3, they've changed the socket slightly. You'll need a new mobo, plus it'll be using DDR4 as well which again means a new mobo.

Well tickle me pink. I guess I may have to re-asses and sell my MB with the CPU and memory then.

Will probably sell the Sabertooth X79, 3930k, and 16GB Samsung memory around February if Haswell E is out. If not then I will do it in 2015.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Your CPU is still pretty great tbh. It'll still perform better than AMD's 83xx line up in games.

I'm more surprised that it still manages to hold it's own. My cpu is going on almost 5 years old. It's damn near ancient by tech standards. Granted I'm on my second heatsink for it.

I don't even think i'll upgrade until a new refresh comes out maybe a year or two into the new console gen.

Multithreading doesnt work that way. It means that engine create jobs that are distributed as threads to CPU and how CPU handles them, is irrelevant to the engine.
So for example if You have 2 cores running at 2ghz and 1 core running at 4ghz, You'll calculate both threads in the same time on both configurations [if scaling is 100% and there is no additional load on any of those cores of course].

So something like i5 2500k will always be faster in handling code than 6 jaguar cores, probably twice faster 95% cases.

And games will be centered around 6 cores, not 8. Two cores are locked for games on both next-gen consoles.

What do you think about the 2gb limitation on my 760? The new consoles have more access to VRAM, with slower GPUs and CPUs. How does that bode for a 2gb 'modern' gpu trying to run at 1080p?

Not interested in the game, but would've loved to see how my 3570k@4.5GHz and GTX 670 would've stacked, horrible Ubisoft optimization 'n all.

Having 64 bit executables is nice though.

Reading the overreactions in this thread is (as always) funny.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Not interested in the game, but would've loved to see how my 3570k@4.5GHz and GTX 670 would've stacked, horrible Ubisoft optimization 'n all.

Stealth brag?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Hello minimum specs, my old friend.
I've come to play with you again.

Grief.exe

"I have an i7 3770k! That's not enough cores! I need to buy something else!"

MFW people don't even know what they have bought

i977sGpkiiUWl.jpg

Fantasmo

Wait, Durante said that frame rate is CPU dependent. So why does getting a better GPU always increase frame rate by gobs. What am I missing here?

If what he says is true, then I should be getting better bang for my buck for the frame rate since my i7 3770k will be using more cores, but I thought that was for physics, general processing, and actors, and AI. I thought GPU was by far the dominating factor for frame rate.

I'm confused now!

kharma45

What do you think about the 2gb limitation on my 760? The new consoles have more access to VRAM, with slower GPUs and CPUs. How does that bode for a 2gb 'modern' gpu trying to run at 1080p?

Only time will tell. You'll be fine for the next while though.

I'm more surprised that it still manages to hold it's own. My cpu is going on almost 5 years old. It's damn near ancient by tech standards. Granted I'm on my second heatsink for it.

I don't even think i'll upgrade until a new refresh comes out maybe a year or two into the new console gen.

Solid plan.

Well tickle me pink. I guess I may have to re-asses and sell my MB with the CPU and memory then.

Will probably sell the Sabertooth X79, 3930k, and 16GB Samsung memory around February if Haswell E is out. If not then I will do it in 2015.

VR-Zone expect it in the second half of 2014, they've a pretty good scoop on it here http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-core-i7-ivy-bridge-e-core-i3-haswell-lineup-detailed/37832.html

Wait, Durante said that frame rate is CPU dependent. So why does getting a better GPU always increase frame rate by gobs. What am I missing here?

Most games are GPU dependent as a lot are only coded to take advantage of 2 CPU threads.

helipilot22

Neo Member
Someone needs to show the devs GTA V thats running into 512MB total memory

lol, also show the devs how good the skyscrapers look in gta v compared to frostbite 3's skyscrapers in the bf4 beta, its quite a stark contrast, i thought frostbite was the shit, but rockstar must know somehing the others don't.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
My laptop's GPU (the GTX 780M 4GB) exceeds the Ultra spec, if I overclock it, so I'm looking pretty good for Watch_Dogs.

But damn a crap load of mobile GPUs are below the GTX 460. Next-gen is finally here, I guess.
on the fringe of the future

where cores now matter

and high vram reigns supreme

i've been safe for far too long, grown fat and overly comfortable

this is scary
Beautiful poem, sir.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
VR-Zone expect it in the second half of 2014, they've a pretty good scoop on it here http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-core-i7-ivy-bridge-e-core-i3-haswell-lineup-detailed/37832.html

Thank you pal :)

You will have to pardon me being in the dark on most of the info about release since I don't actively look for new CPU's when I have little intention of upgrading a part or feel adequate in what I have. I do right now with my 3930k but I am keeping a close eye on that and eyeballing an upgrade when that hits alongside DDR4.

Arulan

I'm still using an i7 920 overclocked to 3.8Ghz as well. It has been very disconcerting that CPU requirements and utilization in games hasn't seen a significant improvement over the course of several years now. It appears that we're finally seeing significant changes, at the very least games will be fully optimized to take advantage of up to 8 threads. Even so, I expect our CPU to continue to stay moderately-strong for the immediate future. Perhaps Haswell-E or another followed micro-architecture (Broadwell?) will have the significant performance improvements to merit a full upgrade.

Tenck

lol, also show the devs how good the skyscrapers look in gta v compared to frostbite 3's skyscrapers in the bf4 beta, its quite a stark contrast, i thought frostbite was the shit, but rockstar must know somehing the others don't.

Alpha and multiplayer should be mentioned. Not like you'd bother to take that seriously though.

Top Bottom