• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1st year is killing my wallet

Shiggy

Has it outsold the PSP yet?

3DS shipped 66.12m as of Mar 31, PSP 82.3m. Depends on for how much longer Nintendo will support the 2DS/3DS now; for this year they expect shipments of 6m.

Paying a lot of money at launch happens. If it's an issue, focus on titles that you really want. Games like USF2 will obviously drop in price over time as they are just taking advantage of the slim Switch library. Also, perhaps don't buy every eShop release if it's too expensive for you. Those titles will also go on big discounts over time, and a lot of the games that are hyped on here right now (Snake Pass, NBA Playground) will probably be quickly forgotten and never be mentioned again once the big hitters (Splatoon, Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey) release. PS4 launch users know this as the "Knack effect".

I see big problems when same game on sale for 5$ every week on other platforms.

Your money but dont blame us when you create a thread like this and not get criticized.

It's not the same game. You've got the right to find the differences too tiny to matter but you're factually wrong when you're writing it's the same game.

And once again I've made a mistake with the thread title. I'm not whining, I'm just surprised there's so many things I want to play over the course of the first months.

Hallowed

I can't see the problem with me wanting to play the new version of my favorite game.

The problem is not wanting to play a new version of your favourite game. It's the price of that game that's the problem.

To you, paying $40 for USF2 is worth it. To some others, including me, its almost like daylight robbery.

The problem is not wanting to play a new version of your favourite game. It's the price of that game that's the problem.

To you, paying $40 for USF2 is worth it. To some others, including me, its almost like daylight robbery.

I'm ok with that. We can discuss the price of what's offered there. But me being ok with it is in no way a problem.

meppi

I'm ok with that. We can discuss the price of what's offered there. But me being ok with it is in no way a problem.

I don't see the problem with it either.
Heck, if it was Street fighter Zero 2 or 3 instead, I'd pay 60€ for a physical copy on Switch...

Oh and you should really look into Disgaea as well, the game is brilliant. :)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Think yourself lucky, I have a PS4
Silent+Hill+2+shot+25.jpg

My wallet is getting plundered on a monthly basis
My monthly purchases are more than that and my preorders list looks like a NPD top 40

renzolama

I like the Switch and I own one, but I get increasingly tired of 'blind bliss,' I would call it. I don't know, I own every console and primarily play on PC so maybe I have some kind of bias, and I have never been big on console wars, but something about the Switch train turns me completely off from discussing it. Like the Switch has some good games for it and it was a decent launch, yes. but this year has been surging with great game releases and outside of Zelda there's nothing really on the Switch right now which compares with what's been releasing elsewhere, there's been some solid games but it's mostly been ports and smaller releases. My wallet has been struggling with gaming this year and the Switch certainly didn't help but I wouldn't say the Switch game library is particularly swamped with must buys right now, especially in a year where there's been so many must buys on other platforms.

I don't know, I guess the reason this bothers me is because it seems like fans trying to market the thing with the 'grass is greener' approach at times, like if they voice out how great things are on their side of the fence then it may cause others to join them. But it feels weird because of the methods I think. Like did you need to create this topic to say you're buying a lot for your Switch? What is it trying to accomplish or discuss? And it's not just been this thread, there's been various Switch threads about people trying to do some positive affirmation thing by being overtly positive. Like I swear this is the third NeoGAF topic on the same subject, which I guess there's an audience to discuss it but it just feels so forced to me.

I hope the Switch succeeds, and happy people like it, but this weird thing Nintendo fans are doing is really turning me off.

Nice respectful/considerate summary of my own feelings reading GAF lately, thanks.

Edit: Removed some additional remarks of my own that weren't quite as respectful/considerate as the post I quoted.

Nice respectful/considerate summary of my own feelings reading GAF lately, thanks. It's unfortunate that the nature of internet gaming discussion has led to the current situation where fans and detractors both feel required to communicate in extremes in order to be heard.

It's a nice and elaborate post and a pov I am able to understand. For my part, I just wanted to share my enthusiasm on an enthusiasts board. Got nothing to sell here. Also I thought maybe it'll appear people feeling the same way as I do about Switch launch would have around my age or similar tastes in arcade games mainly. Had no agenda.

Isurus

Honestly, I find all the fanning over the Switch interesting. I've owned many, many consoles over the years at launch and the Switch is the one I've probably spent the least on over the first months. Just not a lot that interests me. With it's limited library of games relative to other current-gen platforms and immature online infrastructure, it just hasn't quite captivated me like I hoped. Even my 7 and 5 year old kids are bored of it and ask to play Xbox instead. <shrugs>. I hope it's successful for sure but, thus far, it's not one of my top platforms of choice.

Galang

Banned
As much as I was underwhelmed by the amount of games revealed at the launch presentation, it is actually a ridiculously good year. I usually don't buy more than 3 or 4 games per system a year, but I have about 8 titles I want when I get a switch this year. Not to mention there's many indie games I was planning to buy on steam that I'll end up buying on Switch instead.

renzolama

It's a nice and elaborate post and a pov I am able to understand. For my part, I just wanted to share my enthusiasm on an enthusiasts board. Got nothing to sell here. Also I thought maybe it'll appear people feeling the same way as I do about Switch launch would have around my age or similar tastes in arcade games mainly. Had no agenda.

Sorry, I don't mean to criticize you for expressing excitement about playing video games in 2017. This thread really isn't representative of the stuff I mention above, it just happens that someone else chose to respond in a way that jives with my own feelings about Switch threads in general so I'm piggybacking on it here.

Edit: And yeah, 2017 in general has destroyed my gaming budget. The Switch launch and excitement about subsequent unexpected indie releases has definitely contributed to my financial guilt this year.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
It was hard passing up on Mario Kart 8D.
I'll probably pick it up later down the line, but I tend to take games slowly and take it all in due to limited time. I've only got pass my first Divine Beast in BotW with 50 hours sunk in. I've been Playing Pokemon Moon in the background, and likely will carry on until Stars or whatever the next installment will be releases, but I knew I couldn't fit in MK with Fire Emblem's release.

I'll definitely pick up ARMS though, hopefully I'd have completed FE before then.

Phoenixus

Gaming in general is killing my wallet. Seriously addicted to Persona 5 right now, and odds are I'll be getting lots of games announced at E3.

When the Vita launched I picked up ~ 20 physical games within the first month.

If you're enthusiastic about the hardware you can find entertainment in a lot of its titles. It's not as if the games you listed are bad games - but few of them are stellar, or new, aside Breath of the Wild.

On the Vita, I felt like I ended up buying a lot of good games, things like Lumines Electronic Symphony, (the best iteration of one of the best puzzle games of all time), Ninja Gaiden Sigma (one of the best action games of all time), and Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (a really great fighting game) but it felt a little hollow as many of the titles had released before, or existed as simple reiterations of classic franchises.

I still had a lot of fun with them but I can see how, the average consumer wasn't that happy with the launch lineup. Similarly on the Switch, I can't imagine there will be all too many people enthused by games like Puyo Puyo Tetris, Wonderboy or Bomberman.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I don't get people trying to be so down on other people being happy with their purchases. No rule in the TOS forbidding it, the money you're using to fund your purchases are not theirs, and if they don't want to be so overly dramatic over it they can simply just do the very easy thing and not click on the thread to move somewhere else.

I mean, just forward your complaints to the moderation team about threads like these if you're so unhappy with it, or better yet, simply just act like a grown up adult and let people be happy and excited.

ironmang

Opposite for me. I bought one at launch and it's been sitting unopened ever since. Zelda is really the only game so far that I really want to play but I'm going to craigslist mine and just wait a year for a bundle. PS4 release schedule just too relentless this year lol. Even if Zelda is better than what I've already been playing I doubt it's worth ~$400 and the space it takes on my already cramped entertainment center. If Mario gets a release this fall then I may end up rebuying a Switch in early fall.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any chance that we can get Twilight Princess for Switch ? I doubt that they will make a Wii U virtual console... What do you think?
I hope so. Wind Waker HD too. And Skyward Sword, since I never got to play that one (didn't own a Wiimote+).

In fact, I'd love to see all of Nintendo's old games here.

oti

Banned
Opposite for me. I bought one at launch and it's been sitting unopened ever since. Zelda is really the only game so far that I really want to play but I'm going to craigslist mine and just wait a year for a bundle. PS4 release schedule just too relentless this year lol. Even if Zelda is better than what I've already been playing I doubt it's worth ~$400 and the space it takes on my already cramped entertainment center. If Mario gets a release this fall then I may end up rebuying a Switch in early fall.

That's legit and all, but Switch doesn't take away that much space. :p

entremet

Some people here really get their feathers rustled from other people enjoying their purchases.

Funny thing is that they keep the topic active by posting in them lol.

I'm enjoying my Switch. I also have the other consoles, but the Switch is a great little system. I love portables and it's basically the portable of my dreams in form factor.

Nintendo really hit a homerun here after the godawful Wii U.

Zemm

I like the Switch and I own one, but I get increasingly tired of 'blind bliss,' I would call it. I don't know, I own every console and primarily play on PC so maybe I have some kind of bias, and I have never been big on console wars, but something about the Switch train turns me completely off from discussing it. Like the Switch has some good games for it and it was a decent launch, yes. but this year has been surging with great game releases and outside of Zelda there's nothing really on the Switch right now which compares with what's been releasing elsewhere, there's been some solid games but it's mostly been ports and smaller releases. My wallet has been struggling with gaming this year and the Switch certainly didn't help but I wouldn't say the Switch game library is particularly swamped with must buys right now, especially in a year where there's been so many must buys on other platforms.

I don't know, I guess the reason this bothers me is because it seems like fans trying to market the thing with the 'grass is greener' approach at times, like if they voice out how great things are on their side of the fence then it may cause others to join them. But it feels weird because of the methods I think. Like did you need to create this topic to say you're buying a lot for your Switch? What is it trying to accomplish or discuss? And it's not just been this thread, there's been various Switch threads about people trying to do some positive affirmation thing by being overtly positive. Like I swear this is the third NeoGAF topic on the same subject, which I guess there's an audience to discuss it but it just feels so forced to me.

I hope the Switch succeeds, and happy people like it, but this weird thing Nintendo fans are doing is really turning me off.

Could not agree more. Some of the threads feel more like marketing or people trying to convince themselves more than anything.

Did you think the same when this forum spermsploded with a trillion Hirai-Cerny memethreads, just to name one?

That was even worse.

A lot of the indie games library are good hold overs imo. As a handheld it makes a lot of the 2D games more appealing to just sit in bed or on the couch and play. Retail is thin though and could use some bigger releases.

Macka

I can't say I have your problem, OP.

After finishing Breath of the Wild and Fast RMX, there's really nothing else I'm interested in until Splatoon 2. I knew that'd probably be the case going in, though. The decision was pretty much 'buy now, or buy when Odyssey comes out', and figured I might as well just get it now for Zelda.

I also got given Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for my birthday, but I played it on Wii U so much that I really haven't put much time in on it so far.

ianpm31

I'm not really understanding the switch craziness on gaf either. Just bought it yesterday (first nintendo console since gamecube) and I am having a blast playing Zelda while waiting for Arms and Splatoon. But I must say the system itself is very barebones and kinda of annoyed that I have to go buy a ethernet adapter because the wifi antenna in the switch is horrendous. It's a great start for nintendo first-party wise and the console has potential but it is very barebones atm. Definitely satisfied with my purchase though and it looks great sitting next to my ps4.

I think it highly plausible that Switch'll get HD ports of previous Nintendo successful games further down the line. Now's the time for Splatoon 2, Arms and Mario.

I hope so. Wind Waker HD too. And Skyward Sword, since I never got to play that one (didn't own a Wiimote+).

In fact, I'd love to see all of Nintendo's old games here.

I hope they give us some information about Vitrual Console at E3. And I believe it would be awesome to play Mario Maker on Switch... Nintendo please hear us

I just ordered one and bought Zelda and MK8D. Arms looks fun and I can't wait to finally try out Splatoon.

I just hope that they port over Tokyo Mirrage Sessions, Bayonneta 2 and basically every worthwhile WiiU game.

JMY86

Honestly, I find all the fanning over the Switch interesting. I've owned many, many consoles over the years at launch and the Switch is the one I've probably spent the least on over the first months. Just not a lot that interests me. With it's limited library of games relative to other current-gen platforms and immature online infrastructure, it just hasn't quite captivated me like I hoped. Even my 7 and 5 year old kids are bored of it and ask to play Xbox instead. <shrugs>. I hope it's successful for sure but, thus far, it's not one of my top platforms of choice.

This pretty much where I am at right now. I purchased a Switch and Zelda at launch and enjoyed it for a bit but I have not had any reason to turn it on for almost two months. There are no games for for me until Mario comes out and I don't think there is any way Xenoblade comes out in the west this year. I would have payed $40 for Street Fighter 20 years ago but not now. I'm glad so many people are enjoying their Switch and it's certainly not a bad console overall but it is a bad console for me right now with the lack of games.

Gator86

Could not agree more. Some of the threads feel more like marketing or people trying to convince themselves more than anything.

That was even worse.

That's basically what I find off about it. Yeah, it's fine to enjoy the Switch - there's some cool stuff about it. But a lot of the endless threads on it do feel like marketing.

It's also weird as fuck how the goalposts have moved entirely. We were still hearing PS4 has no games even last year despite the PS4 getting a steady flow of game since launch. We consistently get threads asking whether MS should abandon the Xbox brand despite the Xbone moving 30m units, still getting every major 3rd party game, and having some stuff in the works for their 1st party studios. Then you open a Switch thread and people are glowing over fucking NeoGeo ports.

That's basically what I find off about it. Yeah, it's fine to enjoy the Switch - there's some cool stuff about it. But a lot of the endless threads on it do feel like marketing.

It's also weird as fuck how the goalposts have moved entirely. We were still hearing PS4 has no games even last year despite the PS4 getting a steady flow of game since launch. We consistently get threads asking whether MS should abandon the Xbox brand despite the Xbone moving 30m units, still getting every major 3rd party game, and having some stuff in the works for their 1st party studios. Then you open a Switch thread and people are glowing over fucking NeoGeo ports.
Are the same people bashing both the XB1 and PS4 for those "reasons" while praising the Switch? Because, unless that's the case, no goalposts are being moved

Also people excitedly discussing a system that just launched is perfectly normal. I saw the same thing with the PS4, with various memes, posts about how the PS4 saved this gen, and so on so I don't see the problem. If the multitude of Switch threads bother you, don't post in them. I know I avoid threads about games, consoles, or topics that don't interest me

tengiants

Is this thread about PS4 or Switch? Looking over the past 2 pages I only see PS4 discussion. Damn Switch threads are crazy here.

batrush

Gave into the hype and bought my Switch near launch. It has been collecting dust unused since March, with Zelda still unfinished and not a single upcoming game on the radar that seems worth my time. I am waiting until E3 passes to decide whether I will keep it, or sell while resale value is still high (already sold the dock only for $130 on eBay lol). PS4 on the other hand has been draining my wallet madly this past year.

Dynheart

Banned
I see big problems when same game on sale for 5$ every week on other platforms.

Your money but dont blame us when you create a thread like this and not get criticized.

Maybe he wants to play it on a platform like the Switch? I know it sounds inciting to me, instead of just sitting in front of TV as an only option.

I think people criticizing in this thread are looking at this from an anecdotal perspective thinking their isolated experience is perfect for everyone. So just 5 bucks on steam, PSN, Live, whatever, and not consider another's life style at all, it must be the perfect choice as well. If not, they must be subject to being criticized. That logic makes no sense.

The only thing that would make sense, within that logic, is to wait for a price drop. But that could be said for every game, right? Can't place value on any one persons entertainment.

dezzy8

I hage BoTW and MK8. I think I'm just going to purchase exclusives for this system. Maybe NBA 2K18 if it's on par with the Xbox one and PS4 versions. Portable 2K is right up my alley.

Top Bottom