• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo spells it out to 'solitary anti-social teens'

Mariah Carey said:
Yes, by addressing and trying to reverse a damaging stereotype the industry is insulting its audience. Understood.

Seems like the "beauty product" ploy to me. You know how that works.

Kosma

Banned
Next thing you know instead of star points Nintendo will be adding coupons to the barber shop in their games.

Mindlog

Seriously, I love the way Nintendo games connect with my life instead of trying to replace it.

It's sooooo much more erotic.

karasu said:
Are you serious? Whether you're making movies, music, video games or cupcakes; rule number one should be that you don't insult your audience's intelligence.

Are you serious? Look at the huge amount of shit that's being shoved down millions upon millions of consumer's throats in all of the mediums you mentioned (apart from cupcakes, there's no such thing as a bad cupcake). At least Brain Age isn't as bad as bullshit like American Idol, Limp Bizkit, or Chuck and Larry.

beef3483

Great Rumbler said:
Do people really take what PR from ANY company say seriously?

Only when it fits their agenda. Nintendo haters flew to this thread like stink on shit. They probably care more than Nintendo fans.

It's all about Neogaf discreditation.

DeBurgo

blame space said:
I'm so fucking sick of people complaining about stuff like this. Why do you think something a PR or advertising person says has to affect you? It's almost as bad as that "new Apple campaign dissing Vista downgraders" thread.

I own a Wii, and I play games that I like on it. Apart from that, I don't care who Nintendo's target audience is, and I don't care what their corporate image is.
Yeah but it's kind of different in this case because it's not like they are dissing people for going for a competing product, instead they're giving the cold shoulder this general demographic which includes people who like Nintendo systems and games.

It would be more like if Apple came out and suddenly said they didn't like their desktop computer users because they're too nerdy and boring.

What are all the games (Actual games, and not just localizations) Nintendo has in the works right now for next year? Here's what I have so far:

- Smash Bros. (Wii)
- Mario Kart (Wii)
- Project O (Wii)
-Disaster (Wii)
- Advance Wars (DS)
- Kirby (DS)
- Fire Emblem (DS)

oo Kosma oo said:
Making new shallow stereotypes doesn't help much either.

It's like when woman emancipated themselves , and historians had were obliged to write them into history when there wasn't much to talk about in the first place. That's how a perfectly fine book like Palmer got ruined and filled with nonsense that wasn't really relevant, but was put there just to even the image out.

I don't think a "'self development, health, beauty and fitness" stereotype is any shallower than what videogame players already have. Aside from the "beauty" aspect, I actually don't see how it's shallow at all.

And LOL at the edited out second paragraph.

DeBurgo said:
Yeah but it's kind of different in this case because it's not like they are dissing people for going for a competing product, instead they're giving the cold shoulder this general demographic which includes people who like Nintendo systems and games.

It would be more like if Apple came out and suddenly said they didn't like their desktop computer users because they're too nerdy and boring.

No, it would be more like if Apple came out and had a huge ad campaign about a competing operating system: existing users shouldn't give a flying fuck. If Apple wants to bash Vista in order to sell more computers, more power to them, and if Nintendo wants to play off of a stereotype associated with video games in order to sell more consoles, more power to them as well. Me? I'll be finishing Zelda: PH and SMG.

masud

Banned
On second thought I'm sure this is just some PR hack trying to pander to an audience that actually feels this way about video games. Pretty dumb since actual video game "journalists" were present. At any rate I'm sure Iwata doesn't feel this way. And who ever put together that presentation should be fired.

HugBasket

Banned
fabulous.jpg

Fashion channel. BELIEVE

Kosma

Banned
Mariah Carey said:
I don't think a "'self development, health, beauty and fitness" stereotype is any shallower than what videogame players already have. Aside from the "beauty" aspect, I actually don't see how it's shallow at all.

And LOL at the edited out second paragraph.

Hey I do my best.

I go to the gym, I'm a university student, I go out, I have a girlfriend (don't make her read the second paragraph!!!), I travel. But I don't need any entertainment company trying to shove some PR bs down my throat. It's like when one of your favourite authors would say "hey you know what? I used to write great novels, but they just weren't fun, and the people who read them are so antisocial, from now on I will write chicklit only" The problem is that Nintendo is both a company and a creative force in the industry, and if the company part gets too strong like now, the creative part will be hurt.

Neomoto

Can you all read?

"One slide of Dawn Paine's [UK Head of Marketing] presentation outlined the ways in which gaming has traditionally been perceived as"

que nerd image

So where exactly is it saying that Nintendo think we are all nerds who need to get a fucking life and such? Sheesh. That's not what it says, or what Nintendo supposedly said.

And btw, It's just reality. People DO think 'real gamers' are mostly nerds/geeks and anti-social and whatever. Where the fuck have you been all your life. Games for the masses (Fifa, Singstar, Halo, Guitar Hero, Mario and now DS and Wii gaming) is very different. It's just the way it is.

Edit:

typhonsentra said:
What are all the games (Actual games, and not just localizations) Nintendo has in the works right now for next year? Here's what I have so far:

- Smash Bros. (Wii)
- Mario Kart (Wii)
- Project O (Wii)
-Disaster (Wii)
- Advance Wars (DS)
- Kirby (DS)
- Fire Emblem (DS)
That and
Animal Crossing Wii
Kirby's Adventure
Battalion Wars 2
Super Mario Stadium Baseball
Card Hero DS
Eternal Chronicle (DS)
Soma Bringer (DS)
Untitled RPG (Wii, from Monolith Soft - Disaster: DoC, Baten Kaitos guys)
Plus other unannounced Wii & DS games and WiiWare titles.

PS. Project O isn't from Nintendo

aeolist

Banned
This is the first time I have ever seen a company try to make people think that if they use their product they will become sexy and cool.

masud

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
Hey I do my best.
The problem is that Nintendo is both a company and a creative force in the industry, and if the company part gets too strong like now, the creative part will be hurt.
Agree 100%. Fire who ever put that shit together.

karasu

blame space said:
Are you serious? Look at the huge amount of shit that's being shoved down millions upon millions of consumer's throats in all of the mediums you mentioned (apart from cupcakes, there's no such thing as a bad cupcake).

Exactly. And people complain about it there too. But not even Uwe Boll would call the people who like his films antisoical shut ins. It's just ridiculous. Anybody arguing otherwise is simply suffering from battered wife syndrome. I'm sorry. Something like Wii Sports isn't anymore of a social experience than Halo. And if you really want to strive for a 'normal' sense of social interaction, you take your ass to the tennis court.

Mariah Carey said:

mcareypaintabslf2.jpg

EDIT:^^ Yes, I applaud you for finding a poor body makeup job. People who use makeup on their face and body while on TV are the height of shallowness, thank you for your insight.

oo Kosma oo said:
Hey I do my best.

I go to the gym, I'm a university student, I go out, I have a girlfriend (don't make her read the second paragraph!!!), I travel. But I don't need any entertainment company trying to shove some PR bs down my throat. It's like when one of your favourite authors would say "hey you know what? I used to write great novels, but they just weren't fun, and the people who read them are so antisocial, from now on I will write chicklit only" The problem is that Nintendo is both a company and a creative force in the industry, and if the company part gets too strong like now, the creative part will be hurt.

Oh, I dunno. I just think you're reading a little too much hostility in this. Nintendo isn't saying "We don't like our nerdy customers and we want cooler ones." They just recognize that there's a perceived negative stereotype about videogames and the people that play them, and they want to erase it.

karasu said:
Exactly. And people complain about it there too. But not even Uwe Boll would call the people who like his films antisoical shut ins. It's just ridiculous. Anybody arguing otherwise is simply suffering from battered wife syndrome. I'm sorry. Something like Wii Sports isn't anymore of a social experience than Halo. And if you really want to strive for a 'normal' sense of social interaction, you take your ass to the tennis court.

Well, let's not equate Wii Sports to shit, because it's not.

My point was, sometimes a company has to capture an extremely large audience in order to keep pleasing their existing one while still growing as they see fit. Nintendo wanted to expand the audience that video games touched (or repackage 10 year old hardware and think of a creative advertising/PR angle if you're a cynic), and in doing so they had to "sell out".

But playing through SMG, who gives a shit?

aeolist

Banned
So maybe what they were trying to get at before EDGE offered us their masterful interpretation was merely that gaming has always been perceived as a hobby for misanthropic albinos and they're courting a new audience to try and change that.

Kosma

Banned
Mariah Carey said:
Oh, I dunno. I just think you're reading a little too much hostility in this. Nintendo isn't saying "We don't like our nerdy customers and we want cooler ones." They just recognize that there's a perceived negative stereotype about videogames and the people that play them, and they want to erase it.

As a History student I will just say that it needs time for the old people who didn't grow up with games to die out. For a company though it makes sense I guess.

masud

Banned
blame space said:
Well, let's not equate Wii Sports to shit, because it's not.

My point was, sometimes a company has to capture an extremely large audience in order to keep pleasing their existing one while still growing as they see fit. Nintendo wanted to expand the audience that video games touched (or repackage 10 year old hardware and think of a creative advertising/PR angle if you're a cynic), and in doing so they had to "sell out".

But playing through SMG, who gives a shit?
Dude don't respond to karasu in a Nintendo thread. What are you new?

SolidSnakex said:
You give a shit because at least with the Wii it doesn't seem like those types of games are Nintendo's focus.

Their focus? I don't care what their focus is. Just like I don't care what Sony Pictures' focus is, I just want to watch movies I'm interested in.

beef3483

If somebody takes offense to this, then wouldn't that put them with the stereotype described in the OP?

SolidSnakex said:
You give a shit because at least with the Wii it doesn't seem like those types of games are Nintendo's focus.

So Capcom made Mario Galaxy then? I'm confused.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
blame space said:
Their focus? I don't care what their focus is. Just like I don't care what Sony Pictures' focus is, I just want to watch movies I'm interested in.
Hooray! Someone who fucking understands how the machine works and isn't forcing themselves into a pigeon hole based on other people's easily swayed opinions!

masud

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Who cares about what Nintendo's marketing focus is? Nintendo's trying to swindle non gamers out of 250$ so they can finance more Mario Galaxy's. Or at least I hope that's what they're doing.

andthebeatgoeson

Gigglepoo said:
I can't believe they are still spouting this line. Back in the PSX vs. N64 days, Yamauchi said PlayStation gamers locked themselves in dark rooms playing RPGs by themselves. I'm still not sure how Nintendo can rip solitary gamers than release games like Phantom Hourglass and Metriod Prime. I know I wasn't playing those games with a group of people.

EDIT - Found the quote!

From IGN:

"[People who play RPGs are] depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games," he noted in a 1999 interview. Yamauchi - who incidentally has prided himself on the fact that he has never played a videogame - went on to call RPGs as a whole both "silly and boring."
Wait, so Yamauchi isn't crazy at all and deserves credibility? Can someone send me an email when these types of things change.

Crayon Shinchan said:
This is the sound of Nintendo fans tittering nervously.

Moments before Nintendo announce that they'll be moving out of gaming and into lifestyle treatment software.
And you fell for Nintendo's marketing ploys. And I bet you don't think they are competing for the same market as Sony/MS.

Mamesj

Banned
Fuck Nintendo. the burning pit of my soul renders my guts into black darkness of the eternal torment when I read their teeny bopper, "oh everything is so fucking happy" PR comments. I'm gonna go play some fucking manhunt 2 and kill some fucking bitches alone in my room while rubbing my hair and face with bacon grease.

Frester said:
I never thought I'd see the term "paradigm shift" applied to video games. Wow.

words like proactive and paradigm...aren't those just buzzwords that dumb people use to sound smart?

...I'm fired, aren't I?

Fewr

blame space said:
I'm so fucking sick of people complaining about stuff like this. Why do you think something a PR or advertising person says has to affect you? It's almost as bad as that "new Apple campaign dissing Vista downgraders" thread.

I own a Wii, and I play games that I like on it. Apart from that, I don't care who Nintendo's target audience is, and I don't care what their corporate image is.
Exactly, thank you.

beef3483 said:
If somebody takes offense to this, then wouldn't that put them with the stereotype described in the OP?

So Capcom made Mario Galaxy then? I'm confused.
It's messed up that they are addressing the stereotype at all, true of the responder or not. You don't get to replace one stereotype with another "positive" one and come out looking like you have some sort of enlightened message. All stereotypes are fucking stupid.

Chrono

Banned
Nintendo's next venture: WiiBooks!

Now books can be for all of the family, and not lonely nerds hunched over an 800 page tome in a dark room lit by a desk lamp.

Read colorful, heart-warming books with members of your family! Interactive illustrations, quizzes, and stat-tracking graphs for that family member with a competitive edge! Only $49.99, coming Christmas 2008!

HURRAY NINTENDO.

Chrono said:
Nintendo's next venture: WiiBooks!

Now books can be for all of the family, and not lonely nerds hunched over an 800 page tome in a dark room lit by a desk lamp.

Read colorful, heart-warming books with members of your family! Interactive illustrations, quizzes, and stat-tracking graphs for that family member with a competitive edge! Only $49.99, coming Christmas 2008!

HURRAY NINTENDO.
Sounds like someone missed Literature Collection DS.

klausbert

If that was the case, why did they get all those characters, which are mostly only known by nerds, for Smash bros Brawl instead of putting Mii stuff and mini games in it!?!?!??!?!??!?!???!??!!!!!!!11111einsoneuno

Vieo

All I got to say is, Nintendo better make good with the hardcore games and RPGs or I'm going to repurchase PS3! >:T

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
LOL - Nintendo PR knows they have a live one and are going to strangle it for all it's worth. Really, they're just employing the same tactic you see when people in a group that is looked down upon by another group try to make themselves appear more appealing: don't try to get them to see that your guys are actually okay. Just tell them "oh, we know those guys are scumbags too... we're the GOOD ones! We're not like them! We're just like you, see?"

karasu

blame space said:

That doesn't even make sense. Their focus determines whether they make movies/games you're interested in!

[Nintex]

Vieo said:
All I got to say is, Nintendo better make good with the hardcore games and RPGs or I'm going to repurchase PS3! >:T
It's like the Wii made all the Nintendo fans "wake-up" and realise they've been playing alot of the same games over and over again. I don't care either way, but this has been Nintendo's best first year ever. Zelda, MP3, Galaxy, instant classics.

Top Bottom