• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Project Rap Rabbit (Parappa x Gitaroo Man creators)

Wildo09

Seems like people just don't care about quirky rhythm games anymore.

Also, why do they have their campaign currency in British Pounds? That's a pretty bad decision, considering most funding usually comes from US backers and many may be ignorant about conversion rates.

Nivert

Also, why do they have their campaign currency in British Pounds? That's a pretty bad decision, considering most funding usually comes from US backers and many may be ignorant about conversion rates.

I thought you don't have a choice? It's wherever the creator of the campaign is based.

wrowa

Didn't seem to have hurt Yooka Laylee's Kickstarter success.

It didn't stop yooka laylee from blasting through it's ks goal

There are a number of reasons this is failing

1) it's a super niche spiritual successor to a super niche collection of games

2) people who aren't big in ks and only jumped in for the mega big projects feel burned after mn9 and yl

3) poorly handeled campaign with no gameplay and badly placed stretch goals which burned any good momentum this would have

Kickstarter and other crowd funding websites as a platform for game creation is still very much alive and doing very well. It's not the platforms fault this game won't be funded, it's the creators fault.

Seems a bit unfair to blame this on the ppl. They botched this pretty hard

_Ryo_

I have only visited the KS page once since the announcement so as far as I know this game is only going to be six songs. They didnt have any footage or prototype of the game to show,nor do they have a demo ready. Even if they did release a demo containing 2 songs, thatd be a significantly large portion out of a six track game, so theyd have to create demo exclusive tracks. Thats not to mention that this type of game lacks incentive to replay many times. All this to say, the funding price is too high imo.

If all these issued have been addressed and fixed, I stand corrected.

dickroach

I have only visited the KS page once since the announcement so as far as I know this game is only going to be six songs. They didnt have any footage or prototype of the game to show,nor do they have a demo ready. Even if they did release a demo containing 2 songs, thatd be a significantly large portion out of a six track game, so theyd have to create demo exclusive tracks. Thats not to mention that this type of game lacks incentive to replay many times. All this to say, the funding price is too high imo.

If all these issued have been addressed and fixed, I stand corrected.

none of those issues have been addressed. everything about this kickstarter was bad.

none of those issues have been addressed. everything about this kickstarter was bad.

They're supposed to be unveiling gameplay next week.

They've been having Q&A developer streams, twice now. Both times, they were announced in the comments section of the KS page, with less than a day's notice.

I really don't know how someone can be paid to run a kickstarter campaign so badly.

dickroach

How is this not cancelled yet? They really need to cancel and come back with a better pitch and more to show.

I think it's a good idea to keep this current one up for now, that way they can get feedback from people after they unveil the gameplay video in a couple of days, and use that when they re-launch it.
Assuming they have actually started working on it and have a demo, a re-launch is inevitable

Print_Dog

Trying to keep hope alive guys. They are doing a gameplay live stream in an hour and a half. Anyone with an inkling of interest, please give it a shot.

Alot of people said they'd like to see gameplay. So maybe this campaign will get a HUGE boost at the end.

Samemind

mate that looked like it's going to be the SHIT when it has the full production values

Seriously. I know people are getting wary of kickstarters that don't come out with some form of early build footage, but a rhythm game like this that's heavy on lyrical music is basically all about its final quality assets which you couldn't really put together in a pre-production period.
It's not like they can demonstrate if they're competent at building game mechanics (rhythm games have some of the most basic mechanics in video games) and they couldn't really have elaborate art or sound assets (which are practically the entire selling point for this kind of game) to show off without spending a chunk of change.

Well I really liked the concept video! I know that it's a very long shot but I do hope that somehow this project comes to fruition!

Camjo-Z

Oh man, I was way too positive for this barely making it when it was announced. This venture was a total bomb :p

Yeah, they kind of gave up after the test footage was released. One day left and there hasn't been any sort of update since June 9th, they didn't even do one that they scheduled for the 10th showing the game's art evolution. It's too bad they completely bungled the start of the campaign because I really wanted to see this happen, hopefully they manage to bounce back somehow.

Yeah, they kind of gave up after the test footage was released. One day left and there hasn't been any sort of update since June 9th, they didn't even do one that they scheduled for the 10th showing the game's art evolution. It's too bad they completely bungled the start of the campaign because I really wanted to see this happen, hopefully they manage to bounce back somehow.

They need a publisher

dickroach

They need a publisher

they need to make a game that'd make it's money back.
a six level rhythm game that costs $20 isn't selling 100,000+ copies. there's not enough demand.

they need to do a Guitaroo Man-ish game, or just a basic rhythm game that has nothing to do with rapping. license some quirky japanese songs, so it's A LOT less work. have like 15 in the game. sell it for $20. then sell DLC songs for $2-3 a pop.

Amplitude's kickstarter goal was $775,000, the game had 30 songs (15 made for the game. 15 licensed).

Shin

Banned
The goal moved like what 20-30k in 3 weeks time, they should pull this and re-think their course of action.
As unfortunate as it is and as much as I'd like to see their vision realized.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
In todays day and age where you can knock up a Unity/UE4/GameMaker prototype in a weekend, launching a million dollar Kickstarter without anything of substance just immediately makes me think your outfit isn't actually capable of making games.

This goes DOUBLE for a supposed passion project, and here in a rare case TRIPLE because its a music game and they didn't even produce one professional track as a base. "Draw some pictures" is not a viable project pitch.

This group seems incapable of making videogames in the current climate, which is sad because I loved Gitaroo Man, but there it is.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
In todays day and age where you can knock up a Unity/UE4/GameMaker prototype in a weekend, launching a million dollar Kickstarter without anything of substance just immediately makes me think your outfit isn't actually capable of making games.

This goes DOUBLE for a supposed passion project, and here in a rare case TRIPLE because its a music game and they didn't even produce one professional track as a base. "Draw some pictures" is not a viable project pitch.

This group seems incapable of making videogames in the current climate, which is sad because I loved Gitaroo Man, but there it is.

Yup, this was an absolutely atrocious campaign that deserved to fail.

Too many kickstarters have failed before, the consumers are getting wiser about these and need to acertain the ability of the developpers to ship a game. Having people who have shipped games before doesn't mean the studios as it is right now is able to.

Yes, it sad.., I guess that's it then.
A shame, I wanted to see this project succeeded, but i didn't pledge for this same reason, no prototype.. , only a bad video almost at the end of the campaign.

Top Bottom