• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Sandfox

Why doesn't Marvel just call books mini and Maxi series. Seems like alot of their bad PR about cancellations would be easier if they just said stuff like Kingpin or Star Lord were limited series.

Marvel just talked about that.

"A maxi-series," a retailer suggested. "Totally, you should do maxi-series. Or a mini-series."

"I'm going to tell you, the limited series is the death knell,” Gabriel said of the current market environment. "The only place that it hasn't been a death knell, which is amazing, is on the Star Wars stuff. Anytime we've called something a limited series, it did not hurt the sales at all. You call anything else in the Marvel Universe a limited series, it's dead on arrival."

Alonso sounded rueful that the name was such a problem. "I would love to be able to release limited series," he said. "There'd be nothing more reassuring than that, because it means that I can create a team and say, ‘All right, you've got 10 issues, you've got 12 issues. Write it. You know what your ending is. Get it done.’"

I disagree, because Vision sold rather well and we all knew it was 12 issues, but eh.

I forget about the existence of minis or OGNs regularly. Not sure why, but it's true that if something doesn't have a followup to keep it in mind, I'm less likely to get the trade. Unless it's someone I'm already invested in and follow in general, like I knooooow there's a HB and new Lemire OGN this week, no chance of missing those. However, like 8 months ago I thought "The Spire looks awesome" but I totally missed the release and it was really just Godshaper that reminded me again, otherwise it was gone with the wind. I'm keeping release date docs now lol

For such a highly praised book 20k ain't that high. A large majority of people see a mini series and trade wait or forget about it.

Vision didn't really sell all that well.

It's decent for a Vision title, I'd say, but yeah, it didn't burn up the charts.

Legit, why are people pissed about secret empire?

As I said earlier, I was fine with the Hydra Cap story up until now.
The original timeline had the Nazis win, so Cap was always bad
and
Cap wielding Mjolnir are just dumb
. Dumb thing that will be retconned and forgetten the instant we finish this.

I compare it to the Clone Era conciet of Peter Parker always being the clone. I loved Ben Reilly. I was completely down with him being Spider-Man. But the swerve was dumb. The instant it happened, you knew it was something they were going to reverse course on. This is the same.

Legit, why are people pissed about secret empire?

Tired and fatigue ridden Marvel plot line that is essentially just a hero vs other heroes. Didn't want it and don't care, but then you ad an extra level of stupid with the Nazi stuff and it pushes a little past tired into "this is just ridiculous".

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Cap is HYDRA
Spencer is trying play Hydra as not Nazis but end up doing Nazi shit.
The symbolism is too much especially in today's climate.
Another Event.
All heroes get buried by Cap

It's decent for a Vision title, I'd say, but yeah, it didn't burn up the charts.

and

I compare it to the Clone Era conciet of Peter Parker always being the clone. I loved Ben Reilly. I was completely down with him being Spider-Man. But the swerve was dumb. The instant it happened, you knew it was something they were going to reverse course on. This is the same.

Tired and fatigue ridden Marvel plot line that is essentially just a hero vs other heroes. Didn't want it and don't care, but then you ad an extra level of stupid with the Nazi stuff and it pushes a little past tired into "this is just ridiculous".
Ah, I don't mind it personally. The big stuff will be retconned and I'm enjoying the ride ATM. I will admit the reveal about
hydra having won originally
was silly

dan2026

I actually quite liked the Secret Wars event.
(Or Secret Wars 2 I guess)

Seems like this event might be another Marvel clunkerTM though.

mreddie

Ah, I don't mind it personally. The big stuff will be retconned and I'm enjoying the ride ATM. I will admit the reveal about
hydra having won originally
was silly

It's basically a title reign no one gives a fuck about like Randy Orton winning the belt or Misha Tate winning the belt or the Celtics being #1 in the NBA for no reason.

It will come to pass but now? People are just eh or pissed off.

caliph95

pastiching Watchmen's nine-panel grid and structure in a routine superhero story that happens to feature Watchmen characters, genius

Just reread Pax Americana instead.
For someone who hates Alan Moore, Grant Morrison does a good job emulating him for the issue even if it was to make a point

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It's basically a title reign no one gives a fuck about like Randy Orton winning the belt or Misha Tate winning the belt or the Celtics being #1 in the NBA for no reason.

It will come to pass but now? People are just eh or pissed off.
I honestly can't grasp being pissed off at a comic book

Maybe I'm too laid back

dan2026

For someone who hates Alan Moore, Grant Morrison does a good job emulating him for the issue even if it was to make a point

Alan Moore is a grumpy old bastard. I have loved some of his work, but I really don't care which companies screwed him over or whatever. Some of the stuff he says about other creators and artists is downright insulting.

Grant Morrison at least seems like a fairly affable dude. Probably all the drugs.

mreddie

Who is
Quasar now? Was that supposed to be Phyla Vell or someone else?
. I read the issue, just had no idea
who holds the Quasar mantle now.

5720da8693dcb.jpg

Avril Kincaid, she barely popped up around Standoff, was given the bands.

pastiching Watchmen's nine-panel grid and structure in a routine superhero story that happens to feature Watchmen characters, genius

Just reread Pax Americana instead.

Not King's first outing with the 9 panel grid. It being an issue not only dealing with Watchmen characters but Watchmen themes (the thing with the hockey player, the entire countdown metaphor...) is just icing on the cake.

I'm reasonably sure Wendell Vaughn isn't doing it because "fuck that noise". He said he lost control, but I know you son. You got shook.

Well, that's exactly the problem, IMO: the key difference is that Pax Americana is riffing on Watchmen for the purpose of saying something about Watchmen and its relationship with the superhero genre, which is not something I expect The Button or whatever follows from it to do more than half-assedly.

and

The Mjolnir page was a leaked page taken completely out of context though. Feels weird to judge it under those circumstances.

The Mjolnir page was a leaked page taken completely out of context though. Feels weird to judge it under those circumstances.

I haven't read the issue, but the twist will probably be that Captain Nazimerca is wielding the alt-Mjlolnir from the Evil Avengers teamed that popped up in Hickman's Time Runs Out arc.

Spencer's already pilfering elements from Hickman's past Marvel work (and he was writing Avengers World concurrently with Hickman, if I remember correctly), so it's a twist I can see happening.

jurgen

Really looking forward to Sideways, the art Fant was posted looks hot, and Dido, Jordan, and Rockaforst doing Cosmic Spider-man sounds too damn cool.

[

It sounds like a Kirby-Esque take on Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. I like it.

And as much shit as Didio has (justifiably) received over all these years, he can write a really fun comic. OMAC, Infinity Man and Forever People, Challengers, etc have all surprised me with how good they are.

shingi70

Banned

And as much shit as Didio has (justifiably) received over all these years, he can write a really fun comic. OMAC, Infinity Man and Forever People, Challengers, etc have all surprised me with how good they are.

Challangers is his only book i didnt like despite loving the premise of the. Hlanngera being a reality show.

tim1138

I agree. Say what you will about his abilities as an exec, but he writes fun comics.

Top Bottom