• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(First?) Shots of Sonic Unleashed

Jaded Alyx said:
3afhbn

1. What's that thing?

2. Does that say 'A'?
I think it's the green A button from the 360 controler.

I prefer them to use the Sonic model in SSBB, it looks way way better.

No, just no. Fuck that skinny legged, anorexic, slits for corneas, smugly grinning humanoid shit. This model is much improved. Finally, there's a Sonic character model that doesn't look like an asshole.

DuckRacer

PantherLotus said:
http://class.georgiasouthern.edu/writling/professional/TechWrite/1-1/wyatt/pop_img_controller.jpg
The GC pad's A button looks a lot different than the one in the screenie, whereas the 360 pad's A button looks far more similar.

Plus I doubt that, y'know, the GC would be getting a port of a Sonic game in 2008.

EDIT: Of course, you're probably just screwing around so I'll go cry in a fetal position.

Duck said:
The GC pad's A button looks a lot different than the one in the screenie, whereas the 360 pad's A button looks far more similar.

Plus I doubt that, y'know, the GC would be getting a port of a Sonic game in 2008.

Not disagreeing with you, but it's possible a Wii version (not that I'm saying that these screens and video are taken from the Wii version) would support the Cube controllers.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just watched the video.

Gameplay looks AWFUL! The Sonic levels from the Adventure games turned on their side, with even less freedom. Which I didn't think was possible.

It's another shit-tastic Sonic-On-Autopilot rollercoaster game. As with any Sonic game unveiling, everyone is setting themelves up for a fall again. Even I did with Secret Rings.

It's Nu Sega. It's Sonic. It will be shit.

Nash said:
Just watched the video.

Gameplay looks AWFUL! The Sonic levels from the Adventure games turned on their side, with even less freedom. Which I didn't think was possible.

It's another shit-tastic Sonic-On-Autopilot rollercoaster game.
lol hay guyz lets make assumptions from a game that isn't even in its beta version yet!1!! WHO'S WITH ME!!!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Nash said:
Just watched the video.

It's another shit-tastic Sonic-On-Autopilot rollercoaster game.

So you've played the finished game?

Cool!

evilromero said:
Sonic Rush is given far too much leniency on this board. While decent at times it had far too many cheap deaths (bottomless pit or more of the lower track?). On top of that the grating music (which was another victim of the "free pass" gaf syndrome) was suspect too. It lacked most of the charm of the original.

This game has all the signs of a typical Sega-Sonic blunder- melodramatic inter-dimensional boss character forces Sonic to tap into his feral nature. Hardcore rage/oppressed angst soon to follow...

It's funny that you say this, because back before I joined GAF, I remember there being at least two threads I browsed where it was nothing but like 5 or 6 pages of people essentially posting "Sonic Rush is the worst Sonic game I've ever played". I think it was right after Rush Adventure was announced.

Funny how times change, and how the tides of GAF flow...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
XxenobladerxX said:
lol hay guyz lets make assumptions from a game that isn't even in its beta version yet!1!! WHO'S WITH ME!!!

It's a new Sonic game. This happens every time.

Where was the gameplay in that clip? It's obvious they are going for the nice background, rollercoaster set-piece style no-freedom, grind your way into oblivion gameplay again.

It. Will. Be. Shit.

It may be Easter, but hoping for a good Sonic game is like hoping for the Second Coming. The disappointment and anger in a few months time with be delicious.

On closer inspection, it seems there are indeed multiple routes/paths...that's a plus right?

Note that here you can use the grind rail, or take the loop:
3bznz6

Here you can see another path below the one Sonic is on:
2towae

And here you can see another option in the bottom right-hand corner:
2lmoy9

ethelred

jj984jj said:
360/Wii confirmed so far. All the screens are from the 360 version obviously.

I don't see any Wii confirmation. It'll be on a Nintendo magazine, but that doesn't necessarily mean Wii. With any luck, that'll just be the DS version, since Sega gets one of those out on a yearly basis anyway, and there won't be a Wii version.

Eteric Rice

I wouldn't be surprised if it was on the Wii as well. Sega seems to be prepping up their engines for Wii as well (the tennis game, for instance).

You all should be praying that this game is awesome and a huge success sales wise along with Bionic Commando Rearmed. I mean you rarely see awesome looking 2.5D games on consoles anymore and if they prove they sell, maybe Nintendo will consider Metroid Dread on Wii...well, actually they wont...but other companies might be open minded! I know I want a new Strider console game and a new Shinobi console gae.

jj984jj said:
360/Wii confirmed so far. All the screens are from the 360 version obviously.

Source? I didn't think this was confirmed for anything yet.

D-X said:
QTE huh? This is seeming more like Sonic Rivals 3 now with its Press O or X quickly functions

To quote McBradders:

"The "A" button is actually attached to the background, he runs past it, so it's not a QTE... INTRIGUE CONFIRMED."

ethelred said:
I don't see any Wii confirmation. It'll be on a Nintendo magazine, but that doesn't necessarily mean Wii. With any luck, that'll just be the DS version, since Sega gets one of those out on a yearly basis anyway, and there won't be a Wii version.
What's wrong with a Wii version?

Gagaman

Maybe you grab onto it and the "A" lights up, telling you to press that button to shoot Sonic to a higher path, or something.

And and the yearly hand held Sonic title this year is Sonic Chronicles, which is said to be coming out around the same time that this is rumored to be. Makes sense, as they quite often line up a hand held Sonic at the same time as a console one (Rivals and Next-gen were right on top of each other release date wise, I think).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Isn't Sega On an official European magazine for Sega? Is there any reason to doubt them?

ethelred said:
That would be a smart decision, this is Sega. Downgraded 3D for Wii is what I know we'll see, and there will be no reason to buy it over the next-gen version at all.

On closer inspection, it seems there are indeed multiple routes/paths...that's a plus right?

Yeah... it looks to me like there could very well be plenty of different directions to head in... perhaps not as many as in the Genesis games, but it definitely doesn't seem like there's only one path that could be taken. I think the player intentionally went through that one path in order to emphasize the speed.

jett

D-Member
Looks decent I guess, kind of bland. Surprised Sega had the balls to make it 2.5D, though, and on next-gen consoles to boot.

jj984jj said:
That would be a smart decision, this is Sega. Downgraded 3D for Wii is what I know we'll see, and there will be no reason to buy it over the next-gen version at all.

No next-gen tax for any Wii version. :p

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Man this thread is amazing, Sega has everyone positively captivated and they haven't spoken a word yet. :lol

If they don't screw this up they could possibly have a huge hit on their hands.

sykoex said:
Man this thread is amazing, Sega has everyone positively captivated and they haven't spoken a word yet. :lol

If they don't screw this up they could possibly have a huge hit on their hands.

Obviously that means that as soon as official word is released, they'll do something to screw it up. They should just not release it and never speak of it again, and it'll go down in history as the next-gen Sonic game that had the potential to be amazing. Children will speak of it with a light in their eyes for ages.

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:
Obviously that means that as soon as official word is released, they'll do something to screw it up. They should just not release it and never speak of it again, and it'll go down in history as the next-gen Sonic game that had the potential to be amazing. Children will speak of it with a light in their eyes for ages.

:lol Thats happened already with Sonic X-treme right?

Right?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I AM JOHN! said:
At the moment, I am objecting to this game.

It looks like 3D Sonic Rush and that makes me VERY, VERY SAD.
Hope you enjoy watching Sonic break dance upon completion of each level. :D

Teknoman

I AM JOHN! said:
At the moment, I am objecting to this game.

It looks like 3D Sonic Rush and that makes me VERY, VERY SAD.

How so? Sonic Rush Adventure and I think the original Rush as well, had 3d perspective change parts. But as things stand now, the pure 2.5D camera sections look just like a Rush game.

When the camera leaves Sonic, that just seems to be a kinda Debug/spectator camera mode to just show off stuff.

EDIT: Unless you didnt like Rush...then I guess I see where you're coming from.

pgtl_10

I haven't played a Sonic game in ages. I am actually contemplating getting the Sonic Collections for GC right now. How much do they cost?

Edit: Tiduz :lol

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Sega; OH HAI GAF WE ARE MAKING A SONIC 2.5D GAME WITH OLD SCHOOL SONIC GAMEPLAY.
No Weird Bullshit we promise!!!!

2wez600.jpg

Gaf: ZOMG WOW FINALLY OMG AFW

sqkpp2.jpg

Sega: :lol gotcha!

sonicunleashedart1.jpg

2r4l9pu.jpg

Teknoman

pgtl_10 said:
I haven't played a Sonic game in ages. I am actually contemplating getting the Sonic Collections for GC right now. How much do they cost?

Shouldnt be much actually. Mega Collection and Gems collection should be 19.99 or under by now.

Top Bottom