• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Access early limited-time game access is for 6 hours with the full game

Danj

EA's program is entirely new and right out of the gate you get a free AAA game

So if you keep paying them, can you get another 6 hours? Because if you can't, PS+ is still better, as you get to keep playing your games as long as you pay for PS+.

Toki767

This sounds like it makes sense but do you have a source?

My assumption is that games that are single player heavy will have the minimum access that was stated in the original press release (2 hours). That way people can't complete the whole thing without paying but still get a good idea about whether they want to purchase or not.

I believe they stated in the press release that games will have at least 2 hours of access and that in some cases, it will only be certain modes that are unlocked. Madden and other sports games are probably the most we'll be getting in terms of demo time and features with EA Access. It's not like they're going to give you like 6 hours of Battlefield Hardline to make it through the entire Single Player. It'll probably just be a few hours of multiplayer for a game like that.

Zukuu

Banned
So people pay 5 bucks per month for a 6 hour demo pre-release, even if they bought it and a 10% discount? OVER VALUE. Please take all my money EA... lmao

Toki767

So people pay 5 bucks per month for a 6 hour demo pre-release, even if they bought it and a 10% discount? OVER VALUE. Please take all my money EA... lmao

It is what it is (and it's $2.50 a month if you buy a year). But if the value is really The Vault and games never leave it, this is a service where I feel like the later you join, the better deal you get unless you have to have yearly sports games all the time. My only concern about The Vault is that they never say how often they update it with games. It's not as though EA has a ton of games they can add to it currently. In the next year they might add 4 more or they might just add 1.

Orca

So if you keep paying them, can you get another 6 hours? Because if you can't, PS+ is still better, as you get to keep playing your games as long as you pay for PS+.

You realize he's talking about Vault games, which you DO get to keep playing as long as you'd like.

do you even know what the EA Access subscription offers? you're getting free games that you keep (THE VAULT) as long as you for the service (exactly like PS+) and as a bonus you get FREE limited early access to games that are set to release (Play First) they have advertised this since day 1.. if you like what you're playing you can purchase it using the 10% discount.

can you use a 10% PS+ discount on any new first party Sony title? that's right you can't.
can you get early access to any new Sony first party title? that's right you cant.

sony take notes. i have said this before and ill say it again, the only reason Sony said no to the EA Access program is because they're afraid/unwilling to compete.

Yeah, because the true value in this deal is the limited Early Access (which was all explained clearly at the reveal), not access to The Vault.

Keep defending Sony for making the decision for you though.

This. This has been said an abundance of times, and people are just doing drive-by posting. When they get corrected, some don't bother to type "My bad, I didn't know" But yeah, saint SONY can't do no wrong.

People are defending this shit? If you support practises like this all publishers will follow and everyone is asking for subs to basicly give you longer demos.

EvB

People are defending this shit? If you support practises like this all publishers will follow and everyone is asking for subs to basicly give you longer demos.

How do you propose that a developer gives you access to a full game without applying a time restriction on it?

robo

This sounds like it makes sense but do you have a source?

My assumption is that games that are single player heavy will have the minimum access that was stated in the original press release (2 hours). That way people can't complete the whole thing without paying but still get a good idea about whether they want to purchase or not.

Just a bit of common sense and reading the press release, I can't see them letting you access a fair chunk of the sp games, especially with the spoiler aspect with streaming the games.

How do you propose that a developer gives you access to a full game without applying a time restriction on it?

Simple, they post him a physical copy one week before launch with some chocolates and a card that reads 'thanks for being a gamer!'. Paying for stuff is ridiculous.

I dont see the issue here..

We decide if we want to pay 5/30 bucks for access to

1. Free titles in their Vault. A library which they've said will grow over time and not have titles with an expiry date.
2. 10% off on digital purchases on all their titles in the digital store.
3. 1 week early access to new launch titles in their full form (not demos). With the ability to carry over saved progress if we decide to purchase them.

As part of this now, they've said Madden doesn't give you a week, but 6 hours of a full game trial.. not just a few modes and 1 exhibition game.. and we rage about the payment choice we control ?

I can see that if you signed up for this program only to get Madden, you're paying extra 5/month and 55 for the game when it releases and a 6hr demo. but there is value here if you look at what you get overall imho.

This. This has been said an abundance of times, and people are just doing drive-by posting. When they get corrected, some don't bother to type "My bad, I didn't know" But yeah, saint SONY can't do no wrong.

Seeing as the person I quoted is actually the OP, it's not surprising to see all the drive-by posts. OP set the tone from the off!

Demos that give you access to everything, let you carry over your progress when you buy the game, as opposed to demos that let you play a 4/6 team exhibition mode infinitely.

MaulerX

I dont see the issue here..

We decide if we want to pay 5/30 bucks for access to

1. Free titles in their Vault. A library which they've said will grow over time and not have titles with an expiry date.
2. 10% off on digital purchases on all their titles in the digital store.
3. 1 week early access to new launch titles in their full form (not demos). With the ability to carry over saved progress if we decide to purchase them.

As part of this now, they've said Madden doesn't give you a week, but 6 hours of a full game trial.. not just a few modes and 1 exhibition game.. and we rage about the payment choice we control ?

I can see that if you signed up for this program only to get Madden, you're paying extra 5/month and 55 for the game when it releases and a 6hr demo. but there is value here if you look at what you get overall imho.

I think people are forgetting the bolded. This is NOT a demo. It's the FULL game with achievement's and all. If you decide to buy the game at 10% off, your game carries over with cheevos and all.

Did people really think theyd get infinite access to games that arent even released yet for 5 days? lawl
People clearly arent thinking before responding. But ragers gonna rage....

Meanwhile, people are paying $25 in droves to play a five hour beta of not even half of Pillars of Eternity, not to mention however much they upped their pledge during the original Kickstarter.

Watch someone try to turn this post into me saying EA is better than Obsidian.

So much confusion in this thread. The value is obviously in the vault and the early access is a small bonus, anyone paying just for early access was deluded. There was no way EA was going to let subscribers unlimited access to new releases for that small a fee, it would never off set what they lost in sales.

Fair enough if people want to boycott EA, but expecting others to do it when they're personally getting a good deal is unrealistic. The way to fix The Sims debacle was for PC gamers to not buy The Sims, not have Xbox One owners avoid this.

As far as I can see, the only downside is that we're losing demo's - which seemed to be happening anyway from all sorts of publishers - and there's a risk EA try and creep the price up over time. That's when it might be difficult to opt out if too much of your game library is vault games.

8YMgyQV.png

Lol

dumbo

As far as I can see, the only downside is that we're losing demo's - which seemed to be happening anyway from all sorts of publishers - and there's a risk EA try and creep the price up over time. That's when it might be difficult to opt out if too much of your game library is vault games.

I don't know if anyone fears "price creep". The suspicion is simply that EA will remove "free" stuff and throw it behind the paywall to increase value.

From there, EA can add features to gradually force Sony/Nintendo to allow the paywall on their platforms.

I'm not sure it's a bad thing exactly. From EA's point of view, this path leads to all kinds of great buzzwords.

Handy Fake

I don't know if anyone fears "price creep". The suspicion is simply that EA will remove "free" stuff and throw it behind the paywall to increase value.

From there, EA can add features to gradually force Sony/Nintendo to allow the paywall on their platforms.

I'm not sure it's a bad thing exactly. From EA's point of view, this path leads to all kinds of great buzzwords.

There. Right there.

Ason

Perhaps in the long run it will lead to that, FIFA and NHL still gets their regular demos this year.

What most people seems to forget is that in some cases we will get to test games that isn't likely to get a demo anyway,
like Dragon Age, I doubt a demo would have been released regardless if EA Access excisted or not.

We don't know the deal with DA yet, other then we will get to try out the full game for atleast two hours and up to five days before release.
Still way better then no demo at all. That applies to all future EA games coming to EA Access, some of which never would have gotten a demo anyway.

Krilekk

Banned
don't forget The Vault. That's where the real deal is, for me...

Nobody should've been stupid enough to see early access as the attraction. It said right at the first page that games would be time limited, they even said it's two hours for DA.

The value is in the vault and discounts. 10 % off amounts to 6 bucks for new releases. EAA is 5 bucks. So basically if you buy a new EA game you sign up for EAA, save 1 buck, get to earn achievements one week in advance and get four free games for a month on top. People crying about no value and lol EA have clearly lost it.

Jagernaut

Nobody should've been stupid enough to see early access as the attraction. It said right at the first page that games would be time limited, they even said it's two hours for DA.

The value is in the vault and discounts. 10 % off amounts to 6 bucks for new releases. EAA is 5 bucks. So basically if you buy a new EA game you sign up for EAA, save 1 buck, get to earn achievements one week in advance and get four free games for a month on top. People crying about no value and lol EA have clearly lost it.

You are paying $54 for a digital game with no resale value. I would rather wait for a sale and pay $45 or less for a physical copy that I can sell/trade/give away when I'm done with it. I also buy very few EA games so the vault holds little appeal for me.

Top Bottom