• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

jackdoe

Haha. Nice OP. Demo truly was terrible. But, I'll wait for reviews before canceling my pre-order. I also bet there will be a memory leak or dual core nonsense again.

Chris R

jackdoe said:
Haha. Nice OP. Demo truly was terrible. But, I'll wait for reviews before canceling my pre-order. I also bet there will be a memory leak or dual core nonsense again.
Like the reviews will be anything but glowing, outside of the one or two review that has the guts to give the game a 3/5 or something similar. Reviews mean jack shit now.

rhfb said:
Like the reviews will be anything but glowing, outside of the one or two review that has the guts to give the game a 3/5 or something similar. Reviews mean jack shit now.
Yeah because reviewers can't actually like games. What a silly idea!

glaurung

I never got around to posting my demo impressions, so here is a quick re-cap.

PS3: the graphics fidelity was nice. The landscapes obviously looked like something out of a PS2 shovelware title, but the character models and select animations were smooth. Almost no visible jaggies.

PC: downloaded it from Steam. Thought I could crank all the settings to maximum and run it without problems (multi-core CPU and a 460 GTX which usually allows me to run anything I want at maximum settings). Unplayable. Framerate below single digits. The ground is covered with black triangles. The game looks horrible. Now I see that the cutscenes are not rendered in-engine. Which blows.

Overall and game play: meh. Your dude just stands there executing the same slashing animations over and over again. There is no real sensation of your character hitting the enemies, it is more like shadowboxing. You wait for the small hotbar icons to tick down and then you can smash buttons to see the same boring animations all over again. Some cute battle tactics elements that seem to work. Dialog trees look to be more boring than in ME2, and what's worse, I cannot see the benefits of going one way or the other (read: it is not made clear what these choices effect in the end and I cannot see immediate disdain or loyalty from my party members while choosing to go one way or the other). Just to make it clear, there are three options: peaceful, theatrical/comedy and hostile/violent. The demo had no indications on what these things mean. The running animations look like the characters are constipated.

I suppose I would like to play it simply because there has not been a good fantasy and lore RPG in a while and DA2 has at least some manner of polish. Missed my signature edition pre-order window though so I might need to get a regular edition.

Oh, and awesome OP.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Hilarious OT.

Must say, I'm slightly disappointed from what I've seen so far, though still hyped and getting signature edition day one.

iavi

rhfb said:

Can somebody give the game a good review without being labled as spineless, I mean damn. Some people happen to enjoy playing 256color, thanks ya very much.

Chris R

Rahxephon91 said:
Yeah because reviewers can't actually like games. What a silly idea!
Just saying, if they played the same game I played, and have also played and enjoyed DA:O, the game doesn't get anything close to a positive review.

Miri said:
Can somebody give the game a good review without being labled as spineless, I mean damn. Some people happen to enjoy playing 256color, thanks ya very much.

Yep, because I'm only hating on the game due to the horrible graphics, nothing to do with how disappointing the game is in basically every other sector, not only as an RPG, but as a sequel to a game I loved. Nothing to do with spines at all.

rhfb said:
Just saying, if they played the same game I played, and have also played and enjoyed DA:O, the game doesn't get anything close to a positive review.
In your opinion you mean. And have you even played the full game or just the demo? Going off the demo I'm not even sure how this game is even that much of a downgrade from Origins.

rhfb said:

...in my opinion. Complete the sentence...

I adored DA:O and can't wait to get DA2 day one. Demo was awesome.

Chris R

Well duh what I post is my opinion.

Anyways, enjoy your game people. We going to see a lot of dlc for this or will da3 news start leaking right away?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
glaurung said:
PC: downloaded it from Steam. Thought I could crank all the settings to maximum and run it without problems (multi-core CPU and a 460 GTX which usually allows me to run anything I want at maximum settings). Unplayable. Framerate below single digits. The ground is covered with black triangles. The game looks horrible. Now I see that the cutscenes are not rendered in-engine. Which blows.
DX11 mode is pretty much broken in the demo.

If you wanted to try that version again, it should work fine if you set it to DX9.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ceebs said:
I wonder if the DA2 team thinks their game looks as awesome as their PR says it is, of if they realize it looks like a giant clusterfuck.

Brent Knowles one of the senior designers at Bioware quit over the direction they were taking the game.

So yea, they know it's dogshit.

DSN2K

be interesting to see some reviews after its been released. If last few years have shown anything you cant trust exclusive early reviews of games.

You cant even judge a game off a demo any more according to some...but hey what do I know I guess.

Fucking incredible OP. Absolutely perfect.
Also, the demo was absolutely awful. Such a shame, I actually really liked the first game.

Lothars

I really don't understand all the hate for the game, the demo wasn't that bad and I think it's going to be just as good as Dragon Age Origins but hey I guess I'm in the minority for it.

Hanmik

Saw this thread... skipped it.. but when as I scrolled by I saw the name EviLore as thread starter. I had to see what this shit was..

2 minutes later my work PC was filled with coffee, and I couldn´t stop laughing..

I have downloaded the Demo to my PS3, never came around playing it, but after seeing this thread, I need to try it..

Lothars said:
I really don't understand all the hate for the game, the demo wasn't that bad and I think it's going to be just as good as Dragon Age Origins but hey I guess I'm in the minority for it.

You're not in the minority. I love this site, but honestly, NeoGAF is not really representative of gamers as a whole. No website is.

Most complaints come from:

1)Gameplay is too fast (Don't really understand this, it actually makes the combat MUCH more fun than in Origins, and more tactical. Pausing and playing actually feels right to do this time)

2)Uses the Mass Effect wheel (The dialogue wheel is one the best parts of Bioware RPGs now, in my opinion. Really intuitive and smooth. The one thing I disliked about Origins was reading the monotonous lines over and over again. It broke up the immersion of the conversations having to read which sentence to pick, sometimes there were upwards of 8 sentences)

3)Redesigns of characters (This is personal taste for each person. Personally I think they're fine. The Qunari look badass now)

4)Can customize squadmate armor (Doesn't matter to me honestly. I would have preferred customizable armor, but it's not THAT big a deal...)

5)They played the demo and for some reason think the entire game will look like a barren wasteland (Don't really understand this either...it's a 30 minute demo of a 40-50+hour game....I'm 100% positive it will have a variety of locations just like Origins)

Might have missed a few points, but these are the main ones.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
shinobi602 said:
1)Gameplay is too fast (Don't really understand this, it actually makes the combat MUCH more fun than in Origins, and more tactical. Pausing and playing actually feels right to do this time)

Pressing a button and watching 20 darkspawn explode is hardly tactical. Speeding up the combat to make it feel more like an action game really is the worst part of the changes.

Kurtofan

Ysiadmihi said:
Pressing a button and watching 20 darkspawn explode is hardly tactical. Speeding up the combat to make it feel more like an action game really is the worst part of the changes.
For me it's the best, to each his own.

shinobi602 said:
3)Redesigns of characters (This is personal taste for each person. Personally I think they're fine. The Qunari look badass now)

You HAVE to think the darkspawn armor looks ridiculous, at least. Right? Right???

Ysiadmihi said:

I don't remember 20 darkspawn exploding from pressing one button. You might thinking of when the dwarf was telling the exaggerated story of Hawke,and that's what happened. The fact that actions now happening right away instead of taking 2-3 seconds like in Origins makes the combat really feel alive. Actually the fact that it's faster made me pause and issue commands more than in Origins.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
shinobi602 said:
I don't remember 20 darkspawn exploding from pressing one button. You might thinking of when the dwarf was telling the exaggerated story of Hawke,and that's what happened. The fact that actions now happening right away instead of taking 2-3 seconds like in Origins makes the combat really feel alive. Actually the fact that it's faster made me pause and issue commands more than in Origins.

But why would you need to pause more when most enemies are now just cannon fodder and exist solely so more blood can be splashed on your character? At no point did I feel like I needed to pause.

Maybe it feels more tactical on harder difficulties, but the demo convinced me it's not worth the $60 to find out

DSN2K

redesigned Darkspawn remind me of these guys from Power Rangers

putty-patrollers2.jpg

that's to less extent visually and more so movement.

vocab

Ysiadmihi said:
But why would you need to pause more when most enemies are now just cannon fodder and exist solely so more blood can be splashed on your character? At no point did I feel like I needed to pause.

Maybe it feels more tactical on harder difficulties, but the demo convinced me it's not worth the $60 to find out

Exactly. You'll be ripping through thousands of enemies. That another Wave! shit will be all over the place. The faster gameplay is just an illusion or an excuse to fight even more enemies. I see no tactics here. You can probably face roll your way through everything.

Piecake

vocab said:
Exactly. You'll be ripping through thousands of enemies. That another Wave! shit will be all over the place. The faster gameplay is just an illusion or an excuse to fight even more enemies. I see no tactics here. You can probably face roll your way through everything.

I really don't get why people think this. The demo was the tutorial level on normal. DAO's origin stories were a joke on normal as well.

glaurung

Gonaria said:
I really don't get why people think this. The demo was the tutorial level on normal. DAO's origin stories were a joke on normal as well.
But do we even know if there is some hardcore content, even if that falls outside of the main campaigns?

So far it looks like you'll be safely guided through a series of killrooms and every boss fight is uniquely tailored to your presumed level...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The jocundity of the OP hastened to seize my belly with the paroxysm of plethoric merriment.

glaurung said:
So far it looks like you'll be safely guided through a series of killrooms and every boss fight is uniquely tailored to your presumed level...

Did DA:O feel any different when playing the Origins story at the beginning?

And what exactly entails "hardcore"?

Top Bottom