• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS not mandating any framerate or fidelity requirements on Scorpio including in MP

iceatcs

I think it is very unlikely to see 30fps vs 60fps on between PS4 Pro and Scorpio, but 100% it will be some resolution different.

Deku Tree

I'm confused, does this mean that developers are not required to make a improved Scorpio version? So people might only get the internal Scorpio benefits without any extra coding to take advantage of the Scorpio hardware?

Hermii

I'm confused, does this mean that developers are not required to make a improved Scorpio version? So people might only get the internal Scorpio benefits without any extra coding to take advantage of the Scorpio hardware?

It means a multiplayer game could run 60fps with better draw distance on Scorpio for example.

Zakalwe

Banned
Multiplayer games are never going to be 30fps on base 60fps on the upgraded consoles. No dev would want that kind of unfair split of their player base, and limiting the Scorpio/Pro players to playing against each other would be dumb.

So even if they're letting devs choose, devs will only choose one way anyway.

Most players?

No, the disparity is too big. I guarantee you devs won't choose to do this, at least not as the standard.

Daemul

Well who is gonna wanna play a competitive 30fps MP FPS on X1 when your gonna get matched up against 60fps Scorpio players?

The biggest MP shooters(Halo, Overwatch, COD, Battlefield etc) are already 60fps(or at the very least target it) on XB1, so it really isn't a big deal for those games.

Destiny 2 is the odd man out in this regard.

gamz

Well who is gonna wanna play a competitive 30fps MP FPS on X1 when your gonna get matched up against 60fps Scorpio players?

Who is going to know? As stated time and time again in this thread parity is a myth.

If you want an edge buy the best of everything from console to controller...

Trup1aya

He's saying that devs aren't required to limit framerate to match the og Xbox.

Also MS is hoping devs program their games with dynamic res and unlocked framerate, so outside of the need for higher res assets, scorpio benefits will be "free".

Trup1aya

Time and money could be a reason. Maybe its just time and money they believe are better spent on the current consoles. I mean, Scorpio isn't even out so why worry about creating the best possible console version of a game for a console that's not out yet. Guess we'll see at some point.

I mean, most games are multiplat with PC ports. This means the engine is already scalable in terms of framerate, resolution, and high-res assets.

So, It's not really a matter of spending extra time and money making a better version. the better version already exists. It's a matter of designing the base console version so that it's dynamic and can take advantage of the advanced hardware options.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
No, the disparity is too big. I guarantee you devs won't choose to do this, at least not as the standard.

I don't see why not. Most gamers won't be aware, much less care about it.

Also, has this ever been tested and proven to be a substantial benefit to the 60fps player?

I can't believe it would be any more of a benefit than a better controller or a bigger TV with a higher resolution. At least not to the vast vast majority of gamers.

Trup1aya

Also, has this ever been tested and proven to be a substantial benefit to the 60fps player?

It is a benefit to the 60fps player. But it's only one of a multitude of disparities that exist in online gaming. People have been playing at different framerates in PC forever, and ultimately it's a wash.

Once people come to grips with the fact that "competition" is only truly level on LAN, they can allow themselves to enjoy playing online despite the disparities.

In console, I'd say having a better controller is pretty comparable in an FPS.

KageMaru

The whole point is that it should be up to the developers. If they want to do it then let them. They want to take the risk let them. Sony and Microsoft shouldn't ever stick its nose into their business. Mandating stuff like that is stupid. Let them mandate in forcing devs to do achievements or small stuff like that. And even that is dumb tbh.

Also the 970 released like 3 years ago and its still gonna be roughly in the same ballpark of power as the Pro/Scorpio depending on your CPU. That even more just shows how old and outdated the vanilla 2013 consoles are.

No it's not stupid to mandate that 3 or 4 year old consoles are still supported. Doing the opposite would be a good way to damage the good will you have with owners of OG systems, lessening the chance they'll stick with you long enough to upgrade to the refresh or next gen console. As we've seen with the low end XBO version to the high end PC version of games, both ends of the hardware spectrum can be properly supported at the same time.

Also you completely missed my point with the 970. The market already dictates lower end hardware is supported even if a company, like Valve, does not make it mandatory.

Assume the game holds 30fps steadily at 900p but is very erratic at 1080p on Xbox One, is it completely out there that the 4k performance is within an acceptable level (to the developer) on Scorpio, but worse overall than it is at 900p on Xbox One?

Where I'm confused on is if a developer will drop the resolution to 900p to hit a solid framerate, why would this same developer not drop to sub-4K resolutions on the Scorpio as well to hit those same solid framerates? If they show a priority for consistent performance on one platform, they are very likely to show the same on another. If a 4K output was that important to them, they could then rely on some kind of checkerboard or upscaling technique.

Trup1aya

Assume the game holds 30fps steadily at 900p but is very erratic at 1080p on Xbox One, is it completely out there that the 4k performance is within an acceptable level (to the developer) on Scorpio, but worse overall than it is at 900p on Xbox One?

At the end of the day, the onus is on the dev to make a game that works well. If that means 900p on Xbox one so be it. If that means checkerboard instead of native 4K on scorpio, so be it.

There's no scenario where poor performance on Scorpio is a function of the hardware being better. The end result is all totally up to the dev.

hodgy100

This is the only right move. Putting limitations on games like this means Devs just won't bother releasing for Scorpio.

Zakalwe

Banned

I can't believe it would be any more of a benefit than a better controller or a bigger TV with a higher resolution. At least not to the vast vast majority of gamers.

The 60fps benefit is obvious, it doesn't need testing or proving.

Because it's a huge disparity and would have a backlash from the core community who are inherent to building a successful franchise. They're the ones who praise and critique the loudest, they register on forums to discuss and feedback, they put videos on YT, they rally the troops for the positive and negative.

They will not do something that so drastically shifts the fairness of online play.

Trup1aya

Won't this mean that many games won't end being better than the PS4 Pro versions due to install base and cost of further optimization?

MS is banking on the idea that the rise of dynamic res solutions, unlocked framerates, and 4K assets for PC versions will minimize the cost of optimization for Scorpio.

Trup1aya

The 60fps benefit is obvious, it doesn't need testing or proving.

Because it's a huge disparity and would have a backlash from the core community who are inherent to building a successful franchise. They're the ones who praise and critique the loudest, they register on forums to discuss and feedback, they put videos on YT, they rally the troops for the positive and negative.

They will not do something that so drastically shifts the fairness of online play.

People playing on base consoles would never notice, and few would care.

Those expecting the highest competition also have crazy internet, $200 controllers, and play on low latency monitors.

geordiemp

You really think this ? Why do you think COD sells 20 million every single year ?

60 FPS instant control fast gameplay is recognised by the market.

If COD went 30 FPS it would die instantly.

Zakalwe

Banned
People playing on base consoles would never notice, and few would care.

Those expecting the highest competition also have crazy internet, $200 controllers, and play on low latency monitors.

It doesn't matter what average jane thinks, unless your game is already CoD level you need to appease the core fanbase who will build your online community for you.

A disparity like 30/60 between players of the same competitive game would be too huge, the backlash would be insane. Plus I don't think many devs would support that kind of unfair advantage anyway.

KageMaru

It doesn't matter what average jane thinks, unless your game is already CoD level you need to appease the core fanbase who will build your online community for you.

A disparity like 30/60 between players of the same competitive game would be too huge, the backlash would be insane. Plus I don't think many devs would support that kind of unfair advantage anyway.

It's the general audience that builds the online communities, not really the small group of core gamers you see on forums like GAF. These people may be able to feel the difference in 60fps, but they don't understand that the difference in controller response is related to the frame rate.

They know games like CoD feel good to play but they don't know know or care why.

Trup1aya

The average Jane is the audience that builds the community.

The idea that devs won't support this "unfair" advantage goes out the window when the PC version does it.

The backlash would be insane for like 2 minutes, until people go back to judging the game on how much fun they are having, not speculating about what framerate their enemy may be (but probably isn't) playing at.

Any competive scene is going to be playing on the best settings anyway.

gamz

The backlash would be small if any. People who care are gonna buy the Scorpio anyway.

And unless they tell you, how would you even know?

The backlash would be small if any. People who care are gonna buy the Scorpio anyway.

You could same the same about people playing with a mouse and keyboard on consoles, however people sure do throw a hissy fit over that.

Zakalwe

Banned

The backlash would be huge from the core community. And we've seen how this kind of backlash has affected devs to the point they go back and change their game, or make the next game different based on this backlash.

I mean, this is proven with history.

The idea that devs won't support this "unfair" advantage goes out the window when the PC version does it.

What PC FPS is cross play with consoles that run the same game locked at 30fps?

PC players have the option to turn down graphical settings to reach 60fps, so your comparison isn't valid at all.

The rest of our post I disagree with entirely and my previous posts explain why, we'd be going in circles if we carried on there.

gamz

The backlash would be huge from the core community. And we've seen how this kind of backlash has affected devs to the point they go back and change their game, or make the next game different based on this backlash.

PC players have the option to turn down graphical settings to reach 60fps, so your comparison isn't valid at all.

The rest of our post I disagree with entirely and my previous posts explain why, we'd be going in circles if we carried on there.

Don't you think the core community who cares about that are gonna buy the Scorpio anyway?

Was their a backlash about the Elite Controllers?

Zakalwe

Banned
Don't you think the core community who cares about that are gonna buy the Scorpio anyway?

Sure, but many of these people actually care about the state of the game overall, not just their individual experiences. This is again proven with how great so many core community member have been with their reviews and critiques and feedback and praise in games over the years.

gamz

Sure, but many of these people actually care about the state of the game overall, not just their individual experiences. This is again proven with how great so many core community member have been with their reviews and critiques and feedback and praise in games over the years.

And how would the state of the game change? People who care about what the game looks like and how it preforms will get the best possible product to play it.

I'd think more would be pissed if it wasn't 60fps when it could be.

Zakalwe

Banned
And how would the state of the game change? People who care about what the game looks like and how it preforms will get the best possible product to play it.

I'd think more would be pissed if it wasn't 60fps when it could be.

Because their would be a huge and unfair disparity, and plenty of people actually care about the overall player experience and not just those who can afford the upgrade.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying ms won't stop devs from implementing something likes that.

As stated in this thread, it'll be exactly the same as Sony's policy. "Do whatever the fuck you want".

As seen with battleborn, 30fps on og, 60fps on pro, yet horizon zero dawn is 30fps on both.

Chrisdk

Yep. From the off all games should be native 4k, if not, well, ms got some explaining to do.

Not really, as long as they have a good library of 4K games. They can't avoid some games not being 4K, especially from launch.

You are just creating an unrealistic scenario where the Scorpio will fail in your mind. I bet you are already ready to shit on Scorpio when the first non 4K game is released.

Kayant

Very interesting point here. Does this mean it is on a developer by developer case as well for FPS?
Not sure what you mean here could you rephrase that(My brain may not be working well right now xD).
Yes basically Sony originally said if a MP game is 30fps on base PS4, it can't run at 60fps on Pro, in case it gives some players an advantage. MS are just saying they won't enforce any rules like that and it's down to developers.

Unless I've misunderstood isn't the point that MS has declared it won't enforce MP parity whereas Sony has mandated MP parity? Thus in theory Scorpio would allow owners a frame rate advantage vs XB1 owners whereas Pro and PS4 fps would be close to identical?

Perhaps I misread.
As per my OP update this mandate never actually existed and comes from an off hand comment from a ND Dev from the PS Pro reveal which Videogamer provides no context for the question asked none is something that existed in Dev docs like that ones leaked or seen by Eurogamer or official stance said by Sony unless I missed a source somewhere.

What requirements?

Yeah it's worth noting as a part of this discussion that with specific hardware in mind (or in these case a handful of specific hardware), developers will make choices on what they want to prioritize from a technical perspective for their game. There will always be compromises on a fixed piece of hardware.

I dunno the last thing about indie devs and a bunch of devs on GAF trying to talk around NDA's

Trup1aya

Not valid? There are tons of disparity between pc gamers including Framerate . Some people CHOOSE to play a lower framerates because their hardware is weaker. This is no different.

Turning your graphics down is just trading one disparity for another. The player with the better hardware still had a performance advantage.

The game doesn't have to xplay with consoles to prove the point. Pc players play FPS online, with thousands of different configurations. Some even use controllers.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not valid? There are tons of disparity between pc gamers including Framerate . Some people CHOOSE to play a lower framerates because their hardware is weaker. This is no different.

Turning your graphics down is just trading one disparity for another. The player with the better hardware still had a performance advantage.

The game doesn't have to xplay with consoles to prove the point. Pc players play FPS online, with thousands of different configurations. Some even use controllers.

No, it's not valid because the PC gives the option to cultivate your own experience in terms of the visual performance ratio.

Console, outside of a few mostly very basic examples, does not.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why would a developer throw more things at the Scorpio than it can handle?

The problem you speak of isn't a result of the scorpio's additional hardware, it's the result of a developer not doing a good job.

I did not say it would happen because Scorpio is stronger than Xbox One, that would be a strange reason. Of course it would be the developer's fault, but if Mcirosoft mandated better or equal performance on Scorpio over Xbox One, such a thing would be ruled out. As it stands, it isn't.

oneils

I mean, most games are multiplat with PC ports. This means the engine is already scalable in terms of framerate, resolution, and high-res assets.

So, It's not really a matter of spending extra time and money making a better version. the better version already exists. It's a matter of designing the base console version so that it's dynamic and can take advantage of the advanced hardware options.

Ok, but that takes time and money - right?

No, it's not valid because the PC gives the option to cultivate your own experience in terms of the visual performance ratio.

Console, outside of a few mostly very basic examples, does not.

It's amazing how wrong you are. This will be proven in time. When Scorpio launches I will go back and quote your posts as points of reference for how ridiculously erroneous your take on this was.

Scorpio finally brings the beauty of hardware superiority to console gaming and it's going to be amazing. Pro should do the same. Forced parity bullshit rules are ridiculous.

Good Day.

Ombala

It's amazing how wrong you are. This will be proven in time. When Scorpio launches I will go back and quote your posts as points of reference for how ridiculously erroneous your take on this was.

Scorpio finally brings the beauty of hardware superiority to console gaming and it's going to be amazing. Pro should do the same. Forced parity bullshit rules are ridiculous.

Good Day.
So you Think Scorpio will run D2 at 60fps.?

Seems reasonable. Probably some other graphical differences as well, but as far as resolution and frame rate go, I think this is pretty much on the money.

I agree but what about the games that already offer high res/30 mode and 1080/60 mode? Why can't that become a standard on both Pro and Scorpio for both SP and MP, giving the option to go either way?

Maybe I am missing the point of the discussion though. I agree that native 4k/60 is a pipe-dream on new AAA games until next gen.

Top Bottom