• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of Mayhem bombs in the UK (shocking news /s)

Jawmuncher

Amazon isn't that good a metric, but the PS4 version is currently #794 on US Amazon in video games. So...uhh it's probably bombing really bad in America too.

Amazon usually isn't 100%, but a well selling game sure wouldn't be that low.
Looks like they needed better marketing and should've played up the saints row connection even more.

Hell should've just called it Saints Row: Agents of Mayhem

I bought this at full retail price and it's a fun game, but I'd wait for a sale. Full price would be justified in my eyes if I could play with my friends. :(

Amazon usually isn't 100%, but a well selling game sure wouldn't be that low.
Looks like they needed better marketing and should've played up the saints row connection even more.

Hell should've just called it Saints Row: Agents of Mayhem

At one point in development it was.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Jim Sterling said you could beat this in a day or two. Sooo 5 to 6 hours?

If you did literally nothing other than run through the story missions in an easy difficulty using only the 3 agents that you unlocked at the start then I'd say it's possible. You'd be missing out on the other agents and unlocking them within that timeframe but I'd say it's possible maybe. My playtime after finishing the story was 26 hours and that was with only the 3 agents I love playing as (Gat, Daisy and Yeti) up to max level (level 20 with 20 extra levels on top of that). Lot more to do though like levelling up all agents (most of the others were between 7 - 12 by the time I finished), the agency etc should you choose too.

While by far not the biggest bomb to have released on Steam (according to Steam Spy, Tacoma has yet to hit 10k sales on Steam, although usual pile of salt goes here for any Steam Spy figure under 30k-ish), that's got to be massively disappointing for everyone involved.

It is a worse bomb because AOM is AAA. For all we know Tacoma might have made a profit.

I don't know why, but I also assumed it was some kind of multiplayer shooter like Law Breakers.

I know why. At first glance:

1) It has an assortment of varied heroes
2) It apparently involves frenzied shooting from characters running around
3) The multiplayer hero shooter is very popular now and there are tons of copycats
4) They didn't call it Saints Row, so...

It's that simple. If you're not interested in that genre there was little impetus to take a deeper look at the game, so you would never figure out that your assumptions were wrong.

That's a shame. It has some issues but overall I've been really enjoying my time with it. Hopefully Deep Silver breaks even at least. I'd hate for anything bad happen to the fine gentlemen and ladies of Volition.

That's a shame. It has some issues but overall I've been really enjoying my time with it. Hopefully Deep Silver breaks even at least. I'd hate for anything bad happen to the fine gentlemen and ladies of Volition.

Koch Media is loaded and they spent several million on Volition and Saints Row

it'd be incredibly short-sighted to shutter Volition after a single bomb they likely had a hand in creating (if Deep Silver is in fact behind the abysmal marketing)

Brilliant.

Just shows how well the marketing for this went!
Seriously.

It was hamstrung from the get-go.

It didn't necessarily need co-op, but it always sure as hell looked like it had it. Or that it was purely multiplayer.

They could have made the concept work, but not with their approach.

Linkura

I hadn't even heard of this game until a couple of weeks before release in the Agents of Maybe thread.

If it's a sort of spin off to Saints Row, they should have used that brand name in marketing it as part of the title. I'm sure it would have sold more.

vern

Pretty sure if 1 % of the china population buys this game then they'll sell about 100 million copies. Should be no problem.

I had never heard of this game and I watched a trailer because of a thread here I think called "agents of mayhem launch trailer" or something like that... the launch trailer didn't clue me in at all as to what type of game it is. So good job, good effort.

I hadn't even heard of this game until a couple of weeks before release in the Agents of Maybe thread.

If it's a sort of spin off to Saints Row, they should have used that brand name in marketing it as part of the title. I'm sure it would have sold more.

It takes place in the same universe as Saints Row.

I'm a fan of SR, preordered all the games since SR2, but even I didn't feel like getting it at launch.
It's like SR without all the things that made SR compelling. (Customisation and stuffs.)

Ploid 3.0

Seriously, this was a singleplayer game? The whole way up to launch I thought it was a multiplayer shooter with hero's, like Overwatch and such. So strange.

H7Y8nmi.gif

It takes place in the same universe as Saints Row.
Sort of? Isn't it supposed to be one possible alternate reality from the shenanigans that happened in the last Saints Row game?

Always sounded like the link was pretty tenuous, even with the game's returning characters.

They needed to focus and, hate to say it, but justify the design choice to make it single player. Showcase why that was a better choice than making it a co-op game like their other games.

Was just talking to a buddy about this game last night. This was the game we definitely should have been playing if it had co-op, and the reviews meant that we weren't likely to play it separately either. Definitely a bummer, as while it never looked all that great to me I had hoped it was going to be a niche surprise hit.

Kusagari

Sort of? Isn't it supposed to be one possible alternate reality from the shenanigans that happened in the last Saints Row game?

Always sounded like the link was pretty tenuous, even with the game's returning characters.

It takes place after the ending of Gat out of Hell where God recreates the Earth and basically retcons everything.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Then there is really no reason other than shit marketing that they couldn't have used it in the title somehow. Or even something on the box that shows it's from the same universe.

Possibly wanted to not saturate the brand, or let it hibernate. Let this title marinate on its own without potentially damaging the reputation if it doesn't capture a fanbase or break out as its own unique identity. Attaching the Saints a Row name creates expectations that may not have been desired.

Granted, it is in the universe, but it's not really a SR game, and it's lore I believe is based on a complete reboot ending from Gat out of Hell where the entire series is erased and the Saints are never formed(from what I've read, not played it).

Top Bottom