• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'White Day 2' announced, 2018 release date, previously was "White Day: Swan Song"

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Orb

This comes from a Korean interview with the games director: http://bbs.ruliweb.com/news/read/98015

If you don't know what White Day is, there's a remake of the original game literally releasing this week. You can find the OT topic for it here:

So a couple years ago, a PS4 VR spin-off for White Day was announced as White Day: Swan Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwhkwY6HNk

However, just today an interview with the director on the cusp of releasing the remake for the original White Day: A Labyrinth Named School has confirmed that Swan Song has turned into White Day 2.

White Day 2 is being made in the Unreal Engine, they say it's further along than we probably think as it started development in 2014 and they have the main content basically done, now polishing and building on it. Say they're sending it to rating boards right now, and that White Day 2 should release in 2018. They also confirm it is not VR exclusive, it is a more traditional game to follow up the original as Swan Song began to really turn into a sequel more than a spin-off. The platforms weren't announced yet, but White Day: Swan Song was originally announced for the PS4, so that's a safe bet there. May still have VR options, but not VR exclusive they confirm and designed it more as a full game rather than a short experience. They think people want fuller experiences both from White Day and VR games.

They also re-confirm something they said two years ago, White Day's remake wasn't just to remake the first game, they want to turn White Day into a premiere Korean horror game franchise. They want it to be a franchise, the face of Korean horror games, and have plans currently to release new White Day games every 2-3 years up until the year 2035.

The article also talks about the remake taking longer because it was their first time working with the PS4 (they had PC/Mobile experience, but making it for the PS4 had some trial and error but they got it to the quality they wanted, but it took longer than they expected), some stuff about the remake and themselves as a company and going forward.

Seems they're in White Day for the long haul, and with the remake of the original just about to release that White Day 2 may be releasing as early as next year.

---

UPDATE:

Few more details and a teaser image.

White-Day-2-Ann_08-20-17.jpg

Teaser website released: http://www.whitedaygame.com/swansong/

Small loosely translated synopsis of the sequel from the teaser site:

The full title in all territories will be, "White Day 2: Swan Song".

It is confirmed to be for the PS4, and is compatible with the PSVR headset, BUT does not need the PSVR to play it. There are no current plans for a PC release (d'awww....)
Thank god

tonypark

Was going to buy white day on ps4 tomorrow. Really excited to see this is going to be a franchise. Hopefully the game will be good!
Gotta support korean gaming industry!

This is the problem with signing contracts with console makers like Sony, they want total control of the development but in exchange will give them the money needed to make the game (in their vision). Absolutely no doubt going with Sony has enacted PSVR and will gimp the design elects, same shit happened with RE7 and Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (and other games), trimming down to get VR working. On the surface, adding VR support just seams like an extra but to get VR working the game has to have its graphics cut and mechanics changed in order to support it. Not to mention no PC release, no doubt Sony has some sort of exclusive contract because hey, fuck you PC players, who made the game popular in the first place!

Death Stranding and HZD were also originally going to be PC releases until Sony stepped in and gobbled them up, imagine how much better these games can be if they were working with better, more compatible hardware?

CamHostage

This is the problem with signing contracts with console makers like Sony, they want total control of the development but in exchange will give them the money needed to make the game (in their vision). Absolutely no doubt going with Sony has enacted PSVR and will gimp the design elects, same shit happened with RE7 and Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (and other games), trimming down to get VR working. On the surface, adding VR support just seams like an extra but to get VR working the game has to have its graphics cut and mechanics changed in order to support it. Not to mention no PC release, no doubt Sony has some sort of exclusive contract because hey, fuck you PC players, who made the game popular in the first place!

Death Stranding and HZD were also originally going to be PC releases until Sony stepped in and gobbled them up, imagine how much better these games can be if they were working with better, more compatible hardware?

Whaaaa?

This is not actually how game publishing agreements work. Sony doesn't control development just because you sign on as a licensee. Unless Sony is handing the product itself or footing the bill, publishers decide how they'll market their games and which platform strategy works best for their audience.

PSVR isn't gimping games like a Gillooly, these games are what they are with or without VR and the developers are choosing to implement VR because that's good for their market. DoA X3's VR features are just add-on cam-girl sequences and didn't affect gameplay at all when the game launched seven months before the PSVR did. RE7 is a planned reinvention of the brand that would have happened with or without VR (which is how it's been played for the vast majority of RE gamers) after RE5 and especially FE6 showed a need to rethink; it's also an amazing-looking entry in the franchise, so going with VR supportv hasn't hurt the design elects...

And about White Day 2, all that's changed is the name, it's still apparently more or less the VR spin-off (which may well end up on PC VR after they get their console sales pop anyway) as it was created to be, now given a sequel title. The fact that they canonized it as White Day 2 seems to be part of their brand expansion plan (and might also be a strategic attempt to reassociate the franchise as a premier PlayStation franchise after I'm guessing promising sales of the console version of White Day), or just a sales tactic to make sure White Day fans don't ignore this as the "VR spin-off" since they need to bankroll future White Day games; it's not making any grand statements about the future of the franchise.

Horizon: Zero Dawn was never going to be on PC, and nobody has said yet that Death Stranding is not coming to PS4 and PC as planned.

IrishNinja

$30 on amazon doesn't sound bad...any good links on trailer/gameplay etc to see if this is as up my alley as it looks?

Man, this is awesome. I am so pumped for White Day and to think they are ready to make a modern horror franchise out of it is exceptionally exciting.

So happy that the mobile version was such a success for them and has allowed them these new opportunities.

This is truly GameFAQs-level delusional trash. I don't even need to begin with why because literally anyone reading it but you can see.

If you're going to be a contributing member of NeoGAF, you should make an effort to be better informed before speaking absolute nonsense with such authority.

Top Bottom