• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming's relationship with your 'bad habits'

While I was playing Yakuza 0 a few weeks back, I noticed that after playing for maybe 4 or 5 hours, I'd smoked about twice as many cigarettes as I usually would do.

A lot of the characters also smoke (I often have that thing with movies where someone lighting up triggers a low-level craving), there are long cut-scenes to enjoy where I'm not using the pad, lots of the game features bars/nightclubs, and outside of the fighting, the moment to moment gameplay is not reflex heavy. So smoking is easier.

The game doesn't encourage smoking per se, but as someone who already smokes, it seemed to make me want to smoke more - I'd built an association up with the game and smoking which I found really interesting. Now when I sit down to play that game, first cut-scene, I start thinking about lighting up and that doesn't happen with other games. I don't blame the game for that; I've just formed a mental relationship between the two now.

I thought about it and remembered how GTA3 often made me feel like having a beer as I associated that with when I was studying and used to enjoy playing the game with a few cans. Or how the staggered, song-based gameplay in the Miku games would make me check my phone far, far more often than usual as a form of natural break between songs, in an almost compulsive way.

On the other end of the scale, games like Final Fantasy XIV or sports sims would be very reliant on cooperation and concentration so I'd realise I'd smoke far, far less and eat far less if I was playing those kind of games heavily. That is to say, I'd play and not even think about cravings, be that tobacco, food or whatever.

Made me think about friends who associate smoking weed with certain games - where sitting down to play a certain game made them far more likely to smoke weed than others.

For absolute clarity here, I am 1. not encouraging/shaming what people do. Bad is subjective, it's used in a tongue-in-cheek way here 2. This topic is about whether playing certain videogames seem to encourage you to do certain things differently IRL, not to discuss the morality/impact on health etc. of the 'bad habits' being discussed. For example, I'm well aware that smoking is medically, objectively bad for me, that's not the topic :) .

TL;DR do you have certain games that make you have a better/worse relationship with the 'bad habits' in your life? Do you think the game's content plays a role or it's just situational?

I don't eat as much when I'm playing games.

My bad habit is really my posture. When I'm playing games, it's usually on my laptop and in bed. After a session, my neck would really hurt. Recently, I've been playing on a table, and obviously, this makes working with a mouse and keyboard easier. I've been doing back exercises more now, and need to continue so I can avoid further health issues when I'm not young anymore.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm a naturally lazy person and playing games makes me put off life responsibilities even more than I already do.

I know it's a self control issue, but it doesn't stop it from being a bad influence in my life. I usually only game when everything else is done now.

SledGod

I mostly play online games, and for whatever reason, round based games always make me want to smoke weed and drink beer. It's not the worst habit in the world, but it's something I've been moving away from. Spatial reasoning is already not one of my strong suits, and being high makes it way worse.

I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes when I played MMOs, but I think I just did both of those things a lot in my late teens/early 20's.

compo

Banned
I have to quit playing some competitive games because they make me too angry. The most recent one was Rocket League. It sucks because I really like Rocket League, but I also like not dying prematurely from complications of raised blood pressure.

True Fire

I love curling up in a blanket and drinking coffee with video games. I think it has to do with my university nostalgia.

Sometimes I end up like 4 cups deep and I'm absolutely wired, screaming at my TV.

Mediking

I'm a naturally lazy person and playing games makes me put off life responsibilities even more than I already do.

I know it's a self control issue, but it doesn't stop it from being a bad influence in my life. I usually only game when everything else is done now.

^ Wrap it up. We're done.

Bakercat

Im naturally impatient and lazy person that doesn't want to do a lot of thinking at times. I always failed the IQ tests I was given in school because I would give up after doing the same puzzle more than once for example. In games this usually comes in the form of mini puzzles or dungeon puzzles. I just give up immediately and become irritated, so I learned to just use a walk through and forgo it all as an adult.

I love curling up in a blanket and drinking coffee with video games. I think it has to do with my university nostalgia.

Sometimes I end up like 4 cups deep and I'm absolutely wired, screaming at my TV.

Ha yeah, coffee is certainly a thing I associate with gaming.

The last time I was in-between jobs I'd brew a whole pot and to drink while playing a game in the morning and get absolutely wired. Feel like I associate coffee with productivity so it felt like some kind of excuse..."the more coffee I drink, the more awake and efficient I'll be later, the more I can justify me playing games right now...".

13ruce

Banned
Played for 24 hours when BotW was out and Splatoon 2.

Did not drink and eat enough probably but next time i will. And take good breaks.

Raven117

Id love after a long session of gaming (usually something grindy/competition...Destiny Raids were great for this)...Id love to leave my house and throw in a dip (Copenhagen) and drive around in the middle of the night...windows down, cooling off.

I quit a couple of years ago, but damn, that was some sweet sweet good times.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Gaming actually makes me take part in 'bad habits' less.

If I'm watching TV I'll usually be snacking, which I don't do when I'm gaming, and in heavier drinking days I'd stay sober to play certain games (stuff like rhythm games where I'd need decent reflexes, or story heavy games where I'd want to concentrate/remember what was happening).

Gaming actually makes me take part in 'bad habits' less.

If I'm watching TV I'll usually be snacking, which I don't do when I'm gaming, and in heavier drinking days I'd stay sober to play certain games (stuff like rhythm games where I'd need decent reflexes, or story heavy games where I'd want to concentrate/remember what was happening).

Ah that's really interesting, I felt quite alone in doing the same thing! If I know I've got the house to myself then that's normally the only chance I get to session the Miku games and I just can't enjoy that after a drink. I bail on after work drinks plenty for that reason, much as my colleagues think it's dumb.

I yell a lot when playing BF1. It's one of the reasons I typically avoid online competitive gaming, but made an exception for this game.

I also use my vaporizer a lot since I can do it indoors, but it kind of negates me using it to quit smoking because I end up having way more nicotine in an evening than I would have just from cigarettes.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Ah that's really interesting, I felt quite alone in doing the same thing! If I know I've got the house to myself then that's normally the only chance I get to session the Miku games and I just can't enjoy that after a drink. I bail on after work drinks plenty for that reason, much as my colleagues think it's dumb.

It's like having input lag. Once around a friends house I tried calibrating Guitar Hero to sync up with how drunk I was - next time he played the game the timing was completely off and he couldn't remember why the settings were so weird.

Poppy

i sometimes get really impatient and mad and this mostly happens with gaming, especially fighting games and for some reason splatoon

admittedly i sometimes rage out in a way that is not flattering. this is a bad part of me that games tend to bring out

but i sympathize with OP, i am glad i dont have any real addiction to things cuz yakuza 0 certainly has me wanting to smoke, though in my whole life ive probably only smoked 3-4 packs of cigarettes

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Procrastination, insomnia, alcohol, drugs name it.
But basically doing something that I like make me going to excesses.

I drink and smoke weed a hell of a lot more when gaming. I don't really see anything wrong with that though, it's just the things I do when I'm unwinding from the day and chilling and playing games. Intriguingly though, I'm less likely to eat when gaming, no clue why I don't eat but will drink/smoke, just a weird quirk in my habits I guess

Peltz

Really, just procrastinating for me. I can often procrastinate cleaning my place or doing some chores with some gaming time.

Top Bottom