• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever kept a hidden talent?

Newlove

Is it still hidden? I can imagine some responses here so nothing crude! I remember seeing a BBC News segment recently on someone (I can't find it) who was an artist and kept all his paintings locked away for many years, he was a father in his 40s. No-one in his family knew about it as he didn't think it was good enough or he was simply shy to show what he'd done, until one day he just came out with it all to the surprise of his parents and family. Now his garage is his own art room with some impressive pieces. I have often thought about the idea of working away incredibly hard on something without telling anyone until suddenly it's out there, blows people away and no-one had a clue what you were up to. Like sitting down on a piano in public and playing incredible tunes while your company just look at you in shock.

When I was younger I kept my talent for knitting and sewing secret because I believed other guys would think me 'weak' if they found out and had such a 'girly' talent.

collige

Banned
Kind of. I produce music, but knowing that the average person is probably not into the weird electronic shit I write, I don't really publicize it to anyone who's not already involved in my particular scenes. Even then, I don't really post the vast majority of the music I write, so it won't usually get heard by anyone apart from myself and a handful of other people unless I happen to drop it in a DJ set.

Regiruler

Nah. I'm too much of a showoff.

Maybe I would theoretically start the practice stage and not show/tell anyone, but I would probably stop there because I'm lazy. Once I would have something remotely decent I would let people know.

Pbae

I keep all my talents hidden because I'm a old man with nothing to prove and who enjoys the expression of shock.

____

I can draw really well, but I'm also lazy. And hate when people are like: "ooh ooh draw me!", so I stopped years ago and nobody outside of my family and closest friends know.

droggg

I'm really good at pogo-sticking, but being really good an pogo-sticking was never a very cool talent so I've never showed it off before.

i'm secretly the GOAT gaffer

unfortunately I can't be arsed to make an effort so i settle for shitposting and bad jokes

images

Peltz

Maybe? It's hard to know whether you have any talent if you don't show anyone.

I used to write a lot of poems and short stories. I have no clue if they're any good and I don't bother to show anyone. I just wrote them to keep my sanity during a difficult time in my life.

I'm secretly pretty good at doing vocal impressions of several cartoon character and a few actors. I will only do it at a party, once I've had a few drinks, and just drop it in the middle of a conversation with people I've never done it for. I find people who do that stuff all the time to be incredibly obnoxious so I keep it on the downlow.

Newlove

Maybe? It's hard to know whether you have any talent if you don't show anyone.

I used to write a lot of poems and short stories. I have no clue if they're any good and I don't bother to show anyone. I just wrote them to keep my sanity during a difficult time in my life.

You have a good point, it is hard to know if no-one tells you. Poetry is a hard one without others reading it. Depending on the talent, sometimes you can just use your own initiative to decide its up to a decent level or not. Although those bad singers on talent shows...not them.

Since I was a little boy, I was able to cure other folks' hiccups just by thinking about it. My relatives would call me on the phone, and I'd fix them up over the line. Occasionally, if the person had the 'cups real bad, I'd have to lay my hands on them. I guess it's more powerful like that. The only reason it's a secret is that my dad thought that the world wasn't ready to deal with someone so powerful. That the government would want to use me.
I guess he was proving to me the importance of keeping a secret when he didn't let me cure his hiccups and he hiccuped to death, in a tornado.

I don't usually tell anyone about my talents, and even the one(s?) people do know about doesn't get put on blast by me much. I tend to be on the private side.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I'm a hentai artist. Some friends and family members don't know. Or maybe they do. I don't really talk about it so who knows.

old

I have a great auditory memory. I can remember exact details of conversations we had 15 years ago. Or any conversation within earshot. I have hyper vigilance. I'm fully aware of my surroundings and hear everything even if I want to shut it all out.

I've learned to play it close because most people get creeped out by it. Creeped out when I recount them telling me something a decade ago. Super creeped out if it was something they told the person next to me and not me directly.

As stupid as it sounds. As the years go on while I can remember the content of the conversation i begin to forget if it was said to me or to someone near me. So I know Sarah's birthday is Feb 22. But I can't remember if she told me directly or not. Thus I act like I don't know even though I do.

I have a great auditory memory. I can remember exact details of conversations we had 15 years ago. Or any conversation within earshot. I have hyper vigilance. I'm fully aware of my surroundings and hear everything even if I want to shut it all out.

I've learned to play it close because most people get creeped out by it. Creeped out when I recount them telling me something a decade ago. Super creeped out if it was something they told the person next to me and not me directly.

As stupid as it sounds. As the years go on while I can remember the content of the conversation i begin to forget if it was said to me or to someone near me. So I know Sarah's birthday is Feb 22. But I can't remember if she told me directly or not. Thus I act like I don't know even though I do.

I would say I am similar but I do not want to pay attention to my surroundings and my hearing isnt what it used to be.

Banzai

I'm actually a pretty good liar and made a lot of people around me believe that I can't lie at all. It can be very useful from time to time.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I am very open so I think most people know what I can and cannot do, but my best friend likes privacy. He never boasts about working in a top japanese university as a prof, or creating nice songs at home, or being a good kickboxer. He just wants people to take him as is when you meet him. He hates fake people or chit chat, so he hides most of his true self. He is very confident and a people person but only friends know what he truly is. Random encounters he has with people end up with people misjudging him.

Lately I understand why he hides so much of himself so I've started to do that a bit too. It's nice to surprise people.

venomenon

I'm extremely introverted and avoid unnecessary conversation, so I've been told by many people that they were really surprised when they realised I'm actually very eloquent. One guy apparently even thought I was mute or had some speaking deficiency.

In the same vein, almost nobody knows I'm able to speak English quite fluently and with hardly any hint of an accent. I held a presentation in English for the first time a few weeks ago and there were some very surprised faces.

neoemonk

I can juggle.

I don't know if it's a talent because I practiced it when I was younger. I just don't have a lot of chance to bust it out in the office.

I have a knack for remembering faces, someone from like five years ago is easy for me, even for people I have like a passing glance at, its really quite odd considering I fuckin suck at remembering names. That's why its v. awks when I say hi and we both do the dance of pretending we know each others names

Jintor

depends on context. not many people knew about my drawing at work until i left, for instance, because it was never really relevant.

I dunno about "hidden". Talents no one cares about, plenty. Not sure if that even counts as talent.

Yeah. Like even when I tell people I write fanfic, they don't care full stop, or even if they care about the thing I'm basing it on, they still don't care. It's half the reason I want to make something original, so I can get some validation from real life people. Little sad, but considering it's not getting written anyway it's all irrelevant.

Razorback

I think I'm pretty good at music improv while singing in the shower. Not coming up with lyrics and rhymes but just humming melodies.

Not even sure if that takes any skill, probably everyone can do it. I just really enjoy my own on the fly creations.

I learned to juggle to impress my kids, occasionally I'll find 3 objects and start to juggle them and people are usually entertained for a minute. The best times are when someone else can also juggle and we manage a few passes.

Depends on who I'm hiding my talents from and why. Not everyone needs to know that I make custom Magic sets, for example. It's a talent that stays largely hidden to most people, because they couldn't care less.

faridmon

I know 4 languages and am learning another, but I don't tell people that because my confidence in all 5 languages is very low.

sirap

I'm ambidextrous. Broke my right hand in high-school so I forced myself to learn how to write with my left hand.

It's a shitty skill cause no one really writes anymore.

Secretly learned playing guitar during my teen years and revealed it to my friends after 4 years, haha. I don't even know why. Felt good, though.

8byte

Banned
Through all of my formative years I was obsessed with hip hop. I used to download instrumentals and dissect their production, then I'd freestyle alone in my basement like a total weirdo. In my late teens / early 20s I'd do it around friends and a handful of times at parties but I usually just did it in my car alone because I'm so painfully white.

Everyone said I was pretty good. Not rap mega star good, but good.

I dunno.

Top Bottom