• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingaporeGAF |OT| Home to Olympic gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Morrowind expansion isnt on PSN. Is this another case of Sony stiffing over releases for local market?

Anyone know if and when it may arrive?

Enough to make me go over to Xbox.

Sigh.

ElyrionX

I just impulse bought the Oculus Rift. Am I going to run into issues using it in Singapore? For example, software regional lockouts or even power supply issues, etc?

Amazon Prime comes to Singapore! Has anyone tried it yet? I heard there was a lot of negativity over the rollout, such as the limited store selection and problems with the app itself.

Amazon Prime comes to Singapore! Has anyone tried it yet? I heard there was a lot of negativity over the rollout, such as the limited store selection and problems with the app itself.

I saw it on my coworker's phone. Good news is you don't need a prime sub (yet). Bad news is you have to use the Prime Now app from the Singapore App Store. No website support, apparently? Stock is limited to whatever they have on hand, I guess, because they are advertising free 2hour delivery and 1hour @ 9.99.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Amazon Prime is terrible. No books, vinyl, or extended product range. The sort of things I would like are simply not on there. It's set up for basic (limited) consumer products. The food selection is really bad. Redmart has so much more.

It's worth it only during visa 20 off credit card promo.
I do hope that this is only a soft launch and they will stock some books, games and kindles.

Amazon Prime is terrible. No books, vinyl, or extended product range. The sort of things I would like are simply not on there. It's set up for basic (limited) consumer products. The food selection is really bad. Redmart has so much more.

Oh, that's a shame. The reason why I use Amazon at all is for their specific product groups, not basic consumer products. Doesn't seem like something I would use much then.

ElyrionX

Umm. I'm pretty sure they will ramp up the size of their catalogue quickly over time.

wilflare

I've tried it and got my items at $20 off with VISA20.
I guess it's probably a staged rollout and more items would be added to the inventory over time?

Umm. I'm pretty sure they will ramp up the size of their catalogue quickly over time.

Yeah, it's basically the same process Amazon Canada went through. May never be half as good as Amazon US, but there is a lot of room for them to ramp up, at least. For now though hard to really use it except for AmazonBasics stuff. I need an HDMI cable so I guess 2 hours later I should have one.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably not their ideal consumer, as I only want books, vinyl, hardware synths and games, and the odd random stuff like cassette recorders! Not really the sort of stuff I expect them to have on hand. But they have bought a large warehouse and it is the logistic hub for SEA so I would expect some books at least.

The food range is terrible. I don't see how they are going to compete with Redmart/Alibaba unless they raise their game quickly. If you think about it in strategic terms, they need to concentrate on the region in order to compete with Alibaba otherwise its game over in 10-20 years in the online space. So I hope it's a slow roll out as we need the choice and a healthy field of alternatives.

Hey, guys. I'm sure you guys get asked this a lot, but would be delighted for some food recommendations in the Orchard area (north of the river and to the east of the botanic gardens). My husband and I are doing a short stopover for a couple of days there for business on our way to OZ, and while we've already been to Singapore a couple of times, we've never really gotten to check out that area in depth. Since I'm pregnant I can't try anything too fun, but my toddler will eat almost anything, so I'm game if there's something cool around you can think of. Much obliged~

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, guys. I'm sure you guys get asked this a lot, but would be delighted for some food recommendations in the Orchard area (north of the river and to the east of the botanic gardens). My husband and I are doing a short stopover for a couple of days there for business on our way to OZ, and while we've already been to Singapore a couple of times, we've never really gotten to check out that area in depth. Since I'm pregnant I can't try anything too fun, but my toddler will eat almost anything, so I'm game if there's something cool around you can think of. Much obliged~
If one thing Singapore does well, it is food. Tonnes of options, so you might need to be more specific!

Food in the Orchard area tends to be more commercial. Probably worth going out a little bit. Nice food places around nearby Telok Ayer and tonnes of hipster cafes around Tiong Bahru. Good hawker food at Maxwell Food Court near the CBD.

duckroll

Hmmm let's see... central area... there's Song Fa Bak Kut Teh across the road from Clarke Quay. There's a really nice Butadon place on the second floor (I think?) of Liang Court. Saboten has pretty nice Tonkatsu and they have branches in Millennia Walk and 313 Somerset (and Changi Airport itself too lol). There are a gazillion Ding Tai Fung branches and it's probably worth finding one to try the Xiao Long Bao if you haven't had it before. All the food I can think of is... generally.... so unhealthy though. I feel bad even mentioning it when you're pregnant lol. >_<

As mentioned, hawker centers are a very good recommendation for variety and unique stuff that's bang for the buck, but it can be a bit of a pain with a young kid.

If one thing Singapore does well, it is food. Tonnes of options, so you might need to be more specific!

Food in the Orchard area tends to be more commercial. Probably worth going out a little bit. Nice food places around nearby Telok Ayer and tonnes of hipster cafes around Tiong Bahru. Good hawker food at Maxwell Food Court near the CBD.

That it does! I adore stopping over in Singapore, and since we have more time this trip I plan on making a list of eats. For more specifics, I eat everything, so I suppose it's just things I can't have or should avoid at the moment since apparently pregnant women explode if they even look at undercooked food. :p Dumplings, spicy food, buns, veg dishes, etc. are things I'd be keen for. I'm not opposed to leaving the commercial area, but the extra 15lbs kicking me in the ribs makes it hard for me to go too far, especially when I'm towing the other baby. So...maybe 3-5km radius around the area? Will definitely check out the spots you mentions (thanks!). When my husband's with us it'll be easier to forage further, so any must-haves elsewhere are also welcome, though!

Orchard stuff are also pricier than the usual food that you can get.

Yeah. When I saw the area the apartment is in that we're staying, I figured it would be. Not a big problem. Would just be happy to try anything yummy, regardless.

Hmmm let's see... central area... there's Song Fa Bak Kut Teh across the road from Clarke Quay. There's a really nice Butadon place on the second floor (I think?) of Liang Court. Saboten has pretty nice Tonkatsu and they have branches in Millennia Walk and 313 Somerset (and Changi Airport itself too lol). There are a gazillion Ding Tai Fung branches and it's probably worth finding one to try the Xiao Long Bao if you haven't had it before. All the food I can think of is... generally.... so unhealthy though. I feel bad even mentioning it when you're pregnant lol. >_<

As mentioned, hawker centers are a very good recommendation for variety and unique stuff that's bang for the buck, but it can be a bit of a pain with a young kid.

Sweet! Thanks! Song Fa Bak Kut Teh looks good, and I loooove butadon. Ding Tai Fung will be a must, of course. And don't feel bad suggesting the good stuff! I think the doc would be happy for me to gain more weight as I was underweight to begin with. It's practically my duty to eat Xiao Long Bao at this point, so suggest away! If there are any good veg dishes in there, I'll order them too and call it 'balanced'. :D

And def a little more hesitant to bring octopus hands into a hawker area, but with two adults we should be able to corral her if there's anything worth diving in for.

Gibbo

If you don't mind braving the heat, and trying abit of all our local food at cheap prices , I'll recommend old airport road Hawker centre (please don't go to Newton Hawkers centre)

spiritfox

Old Airport Road's quite far from Orchard though. All the hawker centers near Orchard are upclass establishments which do not represent actual hawker centers.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
If you are really suffering, with pregnancy tummy, and toddler, you could cheat and order in local food using grab or Uber. Might get more options near Orchard. Not the same experience, but remember it is bloody hot here, and the food can come to you!

If you have the budget you might want to take a cab to Dempsey as there are some good atas/snazzy restaurants up there, with a bit of greenery which is good for the little one. And it's an area you might not otherwise see.

should probably check out burpple and hungrygowhere for food related reviews and stuff

Will do! Thanks~

If you don't mind braving the heat, and trying abit of all our local food at cheap prices , I'll recommend old airport road Hawker centre (please don't go to Newton Hawkers centre)

The heat doesn't bother me a bit, but like spiritfox said, it might be a bit too far for me in my current preggo state. Will avoid the Newton centre if I do make it out there, though (is it dodgy?). :)

If you are really suffering, with pregnancy tummy, and toddler, you could cheat and order in local food using grab or Uber. Might get more options near Orchard. Not the same experience, but remember it is bloody hot here, and the food can come to you!

If you have the budget you might want to take a cab to Dempsey as there are some good atas/snazzy restaurants up there, with a bit of greenery which is good for the little one. And it's an area you might not otherwise see.

'Suffering' is a good way to put it. Haha. The mini didn't sleep a wink on the 13hr flight...until an hour before landing. She'd lose her mind every time my husband tried to take her too, so I have no back left. Hopefully by day 3 I'll be recovered enough to venture out much farther, but might have to take up your suggestion on ordering in tonight. Dempsey sounds cool too. Might have to give that a look-see. The little one would love it. Thanks for the suggestions!

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The heat doesn't bother me a bit, but like spiritfox said, it might be a bit too far for me in my current preggo state. Will avoid the Newton centre if I do make it out there, though (is it dodgy?). :)

It's over-rated and touristy. There have also been cases of tourists being ripped off as well. The food is also more expensive and not necessarily nicer than other hawker centres.

Another place that I would avoid would be Makansutra near the Esplanade. It's the same kind of hawker stalls concept but smaller. Food is also over-rated, expensive and crowded.

duckroll

The Zelda Concert was fucking rad today, but holy shit the seats in the Marina Bay Sands theater feel sooooooo cheap. Wtf? Really nice hall, but then you get these fold down seats which look worse than the average GV cinema.

????? Lmao.

The Zelda Concert was fucking rad today, but holy shit the seats in the Marina Bay Sands theater feel sooooooo cheap. Wtf? Really nice hall, but then you get these fold down seats which look worse than the average GV cinema.

????? Lmao.

Weird. I thought they would have been better set up. Of course I remember everyone dying of thirst at the last PC show so... :-/

Was it at least a good theater for sound?

duckroll

Weird. I thought they would have been better set up. Of course I remember everyone dying of thirst at the last PC show so... :-/

Was it at least a good theater for sound?

Sound was great. View is good. The design of the hall is fine. It's just that for the sort of venue it is, the seats they picked made it feel like such a cop out. Lol.

wilflare

????? Lmao.

how did I miss this gawd

Gibbo

????? Lmao.

It's the same with the other theatre musical venues actually. Esplanade, the Star have seats which can quite cheap as well

Usobuko

Banned
I tried before the Ding Tai Fung at Taipei 101.

Tbh, I can't tell the difference between the food quality there compare to SG's except maybe the services is a little better. Lol.

duckroll

It's the same with the other theatre musical venues actually. Esplanade, the Star have seats which can quite cheap as well

Naaaaaaaaaah. The seats at Esplanade are way better. Been there many times. Star Vista sucks though. I dislike the entire venue.

Gibbo

Naaaaaaaaaah. The seats at Esplanade are way better. Been there many times. Star Vista sucks though. I dislike the entire venue.

I like Esplanade as a venue. Design is really quite timeless. Acoustics wise - the venue is unrivalled.Going down for the SSO pops concert this Thursday.

I always associate Star Vista with church as I go there for service every week.

'Suffering' is a good way to put it. Haha. The mini didn't sleep a wink on the 13hr flight...until an hour before landing. She'd lose her mind every time my husband tried to take her too, so I have no back left. Hopefully by day 3 I'll be recovered enough to venture out much farther, but might have to take up your suggestion on ordering in tonight. Dempsey sounds cool too. Might have to give that a look-see. The little one would love it. Thanks for the suggestions!

I realise this might be a bit late but if you still here in SG, definitely try Boon Tong Kee's hainanese chicken rice at River Valley, which is just a short distance from Orchard Road. You can also order it in via deliveroo or food panda if you don't feel like making the trip. If possible avoid Newton as it is pricier compared to relative hawker centers at redhill, tiong bahru or telok ayer. Not that the food is bad or anything if you prefer the convenience, since it is the nearest hawker center to the Orchard Road area.

Dempsey is a great venue with a ton of food options, although on the higher end, and typically on the unhealthier side of stuff. Some highlights are Roadhouse for their burgers, Long Beach or Jumbo for the seafood, and Samy's Curry for their fish head curry and roti prata.

And if you are feeling really, really rich, Imperial Treasure or Crystal Jade at Paragon Mall along Orchard road have some of the best Chinese cuisine and afternoon dim sum in Singapore for a very hefty price tag. Expect to spend upward to 80-100 per pax, depending on the dishes you order.

Qvoth

if you want cantonese dim sum then treasures - yi xian xin by imperial treasure is a cheaper option compared to the ones listed by chasingcomets
it's on the basement floor of paragon in orchard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom