• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tequila Works reaquired the rights to RiME

IvanJ

Banned
Oh, well, deleting it from my wish list.
It must have been in a very bad shape for Sony to ditch the IP altogether.

Sad to hear that... at the same time, making a game like that is ridiculously difficult and even Ueda failed on his third game after he managed to make two of those.

They've shown off a big world with no 'clear' mechanics, nothing that has repeatable feedback loops, etc. Even if you look at ICO, while the focus was clearly on connecting you with that world, it had a fairly easy puzzle hook with the player having to guide Yorda along. On top of that, it had (fairly crappy) combat and fairly traditional puzzles. That's enough stuff to come up with hundreds of little, fun things the player has to figure out. Rime looked more like it got rid of that stuff and then, really, what's left other than pretty graphics?

I'm guessing that Rime was in a state where they had nice graphics, but it just wasn't very fun yet and I'd guess that the team had a hard time infusing the 'fun' part into it.

I'm always super afraid of putting any game into production where we have a hard time making a prototype that's not outright fun or is at least very, very interesting. If you don't have a prototype that offers at least 10-15 minutes of straight up good stuff that has tons of potential for even more good stuff, don't produce the game.

LOL very true. i don't want to give any credence to that translated post about how badly the game was coming along, but i will just say that i really hope things weren't that bad.

I just googled "rime ps4 hands on impression" and got nothing. I can't recall any outlet actually getting any sit-down time with this game and it's been a few years now. A search on sites like Gamespot shows the last time they posted about Rime was the trailer from Gamescom 2014, and now this news about the rights being reacquired. Point being that this game, despite how beautiful it looks, never seemed to be in a state to give press or the public a chance to check it out. That doesn't sound like a project that is coming along very well.

Ostinatto

It really seemed to ambitious for them, and with the rumor that it was actually a Tower Defense game and that they were reworking it based on the public reaction didn't sound good.

I still hope it comes out and maybe play it some day, but this really doesn't inspire confidence.

A fucking tower defense game wut? source?

daman824

And you know because reasons.

Sony announced the game back in 2013. It 'was' their IP, and now it might as well be cancelled. Just a little while ago people were calling Microsoft horrible at management for doing the same thing with fable legends.

That being said, stuff happens. I was really looking forward to the game. And it sucks that it's most likely dead. Oh well

original pitch to microsoft
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101431487&postcount=1
The game was listed on the document as ‘fully exclusive’ on Xbox formats, and at the time only needed 24 more months before completion. In its pitching form; Tequila Works describes Rime as a, third-person isometric RPG with a “great deal of exploration, crafting, survival and hero defence.” The studio also compared it to Orcs Must Die!

The elevator pitch reads, “Gauntlet meets Minecraft meets Jason and the Argonauts,” and continues, “As the darkest legends go, there is a far-off island where evil spirits inhabit and they are able to terrify the most determined and brave heart. It is now as Ecos; the damned island.

“Not always it was this. At another time a great civilization was developed in it. Their inhabitants bloomed until becoming a lighthouse in the dark. History became legend. Legend became myth. Many looked for the island and its secrets. Now, their bones and empty fortresses remain as a reminder of their imprudence.”

From the interview i posted before:
[...]Then the Xbox One plans were announced and everything changed. The people at Microsoft say that the game doesn't fit in the strategy of the new console, that they are looking for "connected experiences" and the social factor. Rime didn't fit because it was a single-player game, a very traditional game experience. [...]

ps access "interview"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ulihSriV0

"action, puzzle, adventure"
no combat, exploration, open world
"experience the game as a fragile child"

this was from august of 2014 lol

hope it works out for tequila works in the end

Some of this is definitely on sony

The game is in development hell, and probably over budget for some time, testers saying is boring, technical problems and people from Sony every two weeks on their offices trying to salvage it.

This was hardly Sony's fault. Given the tendency on the industry, most publishers would have drop this way before.

I just googled "rime ps4 hands on impression" and got nothing. I can't recall any outlet actually getting any sit-down time with this game and it's been a few years now. A search on sites like Gamespot shows the last time they posted about Rime was the trailer from Gamescom 2014, and now this news about the rights being reacquired. Point being that this game, despite how beautiful it looks, never seemed to be in a state to give press or the public a chance to check it out. That doesn't sound like a project that is coming along very well.

yeah, i agree that this is a rare case when a huge lack of positive evidence almost counts as negative evidence. we got a handful of clips of the same beach area, and then that new trailer that showed the rocky area with the rain at night. i was super excited about it then, but yeah, that was 2014 IIRC.

but is it true that they originally wanted to make a MOBA? that sounds a little far fetched.

"Naughty Dog has chosen to aquire independence"

Sony doesn't own TW. Again, they shouldn't have used the word "chosen" in their Twitter blast if it wasn't their decision. so i'll reclarify my stance as "we don't know if Sony dropped them or if they asked to get out" because none of us know, but i'm staying firm on this "Sony dropped them" as being silly until confirmed.

it's one thing to do a little PR magic to soften a blow, it's another to state that they made the call. don't see much "lol" or "lolol" worthy about such a simple concept.

I wanted to believe in this game. But we've literally seen nothing, gameplay wise, about this game and there have been a few rumors saying the game was in development hell and that the game was boring.

It was revealed at Gamescom 2013 and besides one or two trailers, we don't know anything about RiME.

To be honest, Sony dropping the game is not surprising when you take this into account.

Ad0ve

Banned
I translate the spanish post a bit better:

The game is going horribly wrong

every 2 weeks there are people from Sony in the office to give shit

basically, they don't know what to do

The first stage is finished, but test groups say its boring

The are only puzzles and nothing else

You can not attack in the game

You only go from one place to another doing puzzles

xD

its a fail

because Sony gave them an ultimatum
They have invested a lot of money and the game is meh

They filled the PS4's memory

and they were many days until 3 am deleting shit and cutting textures

Rurunaki

If they could cancel a Sony Santa Monica Project for taking too long then they can also cancel Rime for pretty much being a no show since the reveal.

Elandyll

Banned
Why do you need a source? Sony was the publisher, they were obviously involved in this whole thing.
What was implied was a responsability in the game failing (so far), so I'm asking for sources.

The OP knows that he was at odds, given the suddenly added "/s" btw.

All we know so far is that a game developped by Tequila Works that was first pitched to MS and passed on was then picked by Sony (and became a fully Sony owned IP, implying they invested directly and funded the development), was revealed in August 2013, then rumored to have serious development problems on a Spanish website in mid 2015, and also went through a long blackout after a big PR push which gave a lot of people a feel for an Ico inspired indie.

Two and a half years after being first revealed, Sony let Tequila go with the IP for an undisclosed amount of money.

daman824

What was implied was a responsability in the game failing (so far), so I'm asking for sources.

The OP knows that he was at odds, given the suddenly added "/s" btw.
Sony was definitely at fault somewhat. It was their IP. And they announced the game 3 years ago with practically no news since then. And now it's pretty much cancelled. Like Microsoft with fable legends, I'd definitely say Sony isn't completely blameless.

I originally added the /s because I didn't want anyone to think I was an insider. But thinking about it more, I stand by my original post

BeeDog

Who the hell is behind fake Kaz? Gaming genius.

Anyway, I guess it's a shame this game doesn't seem to have panned out well at all. It looked visually arresting, but not the biggest loss in the world in the greater scheme of things.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony announced the game back in 2013. It 'was' their IP, and now it might as well be cancelled. Just a little while ago people were calling Microsoft horrible at management for doing the same thing with fable legends.

That being said, stuff happens. I was really looking forward to the game. And it sucks that it's most likely dead. Oh well

This is not even the same, lol.

We do not know the state of the game or when it was to come out. Legends was pretty complete and almost due in a couple of months.

Sony just dropped publishing support, TW got the IP back, and is continuing development, MSFT CANCELLED the game and SHUT DOWN the studio.

Not. The. Same.

Shin-Ra

Some of this is definitely on Sony

I'm really curious what these said pre-edit.

Pretty desperate attempt to paint SCE with the same brush as Microsoft Studios.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

This is a big different, maybe even a lot. Fable Legends was in a more than playable state and had been in beta for months before it was canceled. It came from a studio that has been around for over a decade and produced some multi million dollar sellers. It was also a studio owned by MS and had been for some time.

Tequila Works was not owned by Sony, the have nowhere near the prestige or sales numbers of Lionhead, and the game was shown in trailer form a few times but no one ever saw it or got hands on with it. The few people who did see it outside of trade shows and such basically confirmed it was not coming along very well. Sony never owned them and by releasing them they basically dropped a troubled property. This has happened with them and just about every other major games publisher and happens in other forms of media as well. How many movies do you see announced, get trailers, etc. that never make it to the light of day or do so at a different studio in a much different form?

The situations are not that similar.

Pif

Banned
Yep those rumours about the game being boring and Sony babysitting them are probably true.

It's a shame, the game had so much potential.

[...]Then the Xbox One plans were announced and everything changed. The people at Microsoft say that the game doesn't fit in the strategy of the new console, that they are looking for "connected experiences" and the social factor. Rime didn't fit because it was a single-player game, a very traditional game experience. [...]

Whaaa?

MS dropped it because it didn't have MP?

Whaaa?

it makes sense with microsoft's original vision of the xbox one
always online and interconnected, I mean with how successful xbox live was for them during the 360's "hightime", it wouldn't surprise me that they would strive for games that necessitated or encouraged online multiplayer
Phil Spencer said:
"What we're seeing in games ... is online community gaming is becoming a predominant way that people play," he said.

"You see so many of these large games that are out there that rely on and are kind of made by the connection people have with their friends, and how they play cooperatively and competitively with the millions of people on Xbox Live and other ecosystems," he said. "It's a predominant form of gaming today."
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/44...-is-one-reason-microsoft-thinks-always-online

Whaaa?

You should tweet that to Tim Dog, he has been tweeting at Phil to pick this game up multiple times today. I am sure he would like to know that Microsoft already passed on it so he can leave Phil alone for the next hour or so.

Elandyll

Banned
Sony was definitely at fault somewhat. It was their IP. And they announced the game 3 years ago with practically no news since then. And now it's pretty much cancelled. Like Microsoft with fable legends, I'd definitely say Sony isn't completely blameless.

I originally added the /s because I didn't want anyone to think I was an insider. But thinking about it more, I stand by my original post
Beside picking it & funding it (which is why they had the IP), where's the fault?
What's your evidence beside the possibility of a studio not meeting deadlines and their game failing the Q&A/ Customer Testing?

Is it a case of Sony too?
Just curious.

daman824

I'm really curious what these said pre-edit.

Pretty desperate attempt to paint SCE with the same brush as Microsoft Studios.
I edited the post to convey the point better. What were you trying to imply with that btw?

And fair enough, this and fable legends were in different situations. Mainly because fable legends was in beta.

That being said, I bought a ps4 in part because of this game. It was one of my most anticipated titles. And to see this happens sucks. And outside of the 'extent' Sony is at fault. They at the very least should NOT have announced the game that early when, as rumored, only the very first part of the game was finished recently

And people can try and argue the game isn't cancelled. But unless they get a publisher soon, this game is most likely going to be put on indefinite hold.

J-Skee

Beside picking it & funding it (which is why they had the IP), where's the fault?
What's your evidence beside the possibility of a studio not meeting deadlines and their game failing the Q&A/ Customer Testing?

Is it a case of Sony too?
Just curious.

Honestly, we have no proof of what happened. We can assume all we want, but if no one comes out to speak on the situation, we'll never know.

A fucking tower defense game wut? source?

This game's had such a weird journey.

Made a great debut with gameplay etc., then completely disappears and doesn't appear on Sony's 2015 release list and then a few weeks ago we hear how the game started out as some weird tower defence game...

I'm interested to see a nice 10 minute gameplay clip. Been on board since they said they want the player to 'express themselves through traversal'.

I feel the last time I heard about this game, someone was hinting that it is or at least once was some type of tower defence/action adventure hybrid.

n the pitch the game is described as "Gauntlet meets Minecraft meets Jason and the Argonauts". During the day you explore an open world island and hunt to obtain tools, weapons, food and medicine. When the night comes you defend your fortifications against the island's guardians. There are no quests in the traditional sense. Rather, the island is the character.

From this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-20-microsoft-turned-down-playstation-4-exclusive-rime

And apparently it was stated in this interview (in spanish and quite long) that the game was at least part tower defense, but since my spanish is rusty I can't confirmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T54ynzGL6M

So we at least know that the game started as a tower defense when pitched to MS which gives a little more credence to the rumor.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.

So canceling an indie game is equivalent to canceling a big 1st party triple A, and completely shutting down the whole studio without giving non of the staff any notice ? One of the few studios you have left at that.

Top Bottom