• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

StonedRider

Ok seriously, how am I supposed to increase my initial rep in Quince?

At best I get like 1 planetary scan mission (and even that not always the case)

The only 3 other missions I have available are donate missions with stuff 300ly away...

Edit: Fuck it, going back to Wu G

I've brought to Quince several pages of exploration data I collected across the bubble travelling between engineers. Also there should be many credits donation missions.

But the first couple of hours was a problem for me too.

mokeyjoe

Just downloaded the game an tried the combat tutorial on PS4. I'm sure it's because I'm still a noob but good lord it takes ages to turn around, got melted on the second stage of the advanced combat mission because I couldn't even face the other ships. Are there flight sticks on PS4?

I've just started too and yeah, the second stage of that is pretty impossible. I read somewhere it's because they improved the ship AI sometime back but didn't update the tutorial. Don't worry, you won't face scenarios like that in the game unless you start attacking much better ships than you. Got interdicted for the first time yesterday, and the attacker barely got a shot off, so it doesn't seem that hard.

As long as you've done enough to learn the controls you're fine to get into the main game.

Your turning speed is directly related to throttle position. If you are not in the blue area on your on-screen throttle indicator (i.e., you're going too fast OR too slow), turning takes a lot longer.

zorbsie

2.4 Gets a new VO for station information at Obsidian Orbital

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=immS_DKl5UE

Pretty nice to see them do that.

I think that's awesome. Love his stuff.

I picked up the gold conda skin. Thinking I might get the gold SRV too.

1c44697e-c76e-42b9-91rmos6.png

17e21a8b-ce70-4a9e-b04mrhl.png

DrBo42

Reddit is saying 8/24 is the last day gold skins will be available.

Latest news from the beta:

A timer is being added to synthesis and a delay when fired upon (like being hit during a cast in an mmo, or a reset entirely) to combat heat sink and chaff fuckery.

They're also looking into a cool down for the report crimes function along with a notification to those targeting the person turning it on. No promises etc.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Whilst I respect ObsidianAnt, that's actually gonna be pretty jarring in game.

Yeah, a little too meta for me.

ehhhhhhhh.

ok.

His voice fits in nicely imo. Sure, his catchphrase is kind of "meta", but it's all in good spirits. It's a nice gesture by FD which you don't see in a lot of games.

Also it's one station out of thousands. Surely you can put up with it for a few seconds if you happen to be passing through.

Volimar

His voice fits in nicely imo. Sure, his catchphrase is kind of "meta", but it's all in good spirits. It's a nice gesture by FD which you don't see in a lot of games.

Also it's one station out of thousands. Surely you can put up with it for a few seconds if you happen to be passing through.

I don't mind the occasional station having a bit more character. It breaks up the monotony.

Widge

I don't mind it. I mean you're bound to get some announcer with a bit of personality out there. I've had enough train conductors go off piste with their announcements. Most memorable one was one guy preparing people for "the industrial wonderland that is Sunderland".

I don't mind the occasional station having a bit more character. It breaks up the monotony.

Yeah, I like it.
I like it when I find interesting voice variations in general, my favourite is the Yorkshire-accented control-tower voice. Feels like returning home.

Time to check out the beta I guess. Gotta get that community emblem badge reward thing.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind it. I mean you're bound to get some announcer with a bit of personality out there. I've had enough train conductors go off piste with their announcements. Most memorable one was one guy preparing people for "the industrial wonderland that is Sunderland".

Hahaha!
It's the same with London tube drivers. "Off piste". Love it :)

Yeah, I like it.
I like it when I find interesting voice variations in general, my favourite is the Yorkshire-accented control-tower voice. Feels like returning home.

Same here about the guy with the southern accent. He sounds kinda dry and tired, but also sincere.
Hearing him say "Welcome home, Commander" warms the cockles of my heart every time.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Part of the reason I sided with the Empire was their stations, both their announcers and the fact they put their names on the outside rather than giving them serial numbers.

My favourite is the RP, super clipped English-accented ATC Controller.

Been playing around with loadouts for the FDL (weapon feel and such), and let me tell you of our lord and savior the S4 Cannon. It wrecks, slow shot but it throws haymakers on whatever it touches.

Nerix

Looking forward to it!

Experienceed a great rescue mission after I was stuck on a moon in Colonia (at the crash site of Cmdr Hyfords ship): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVRUzDMjtL4 (timestamps see video description)

Background story in this thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/372969-Bad-day-Help-a-stranded-Cmdr-in-Colonia!

This is why I love the game and the Elite community. You feel completely lonely in a huge universe and then a Cmdr comes out of the dark after a call for rescue.

Large ships have a disadvantage in interdictions, the smaller ship will usually always come out on top (on either end).

Yeah, it's hard but I have been able to avoid interdictions against AI even with T9. I could probably have avoided this one as well if I had been better at it.

Hylian7

Yeah, it's hard but I have been able to avoid interdictions against AI even with T9. I could probably have avoided this one as well if I had been better at it.
Unless they changed anything, interdiction isn't worth avoiding. It's more efficient to just throttle down when you get interdicted then once you are out of super cruise throttle to max and boost and jump out. The interdiction evasion minigame is hardly worth doing.

Unless they changed anything, interdiction isn't worth avoiding. It's more efficient to just throttle down when you get interdicted then once you are out of super cruise throttle to max and boost and jump out. The interdiction evasion minigame is hardly worth doing.

People always say this, but then follow up with saying you should high wake out of there which do take a lot longer than beating the interdiction because you get interdicted while slowing down to approach your destination almost 100% of the time.

I've done seven or so more hours of T9 today and I am fairly confident that I can beat any AI interdiction as well. Submitting removes the small amount of interactivity the game has when you do space trucking also.

Vorheez

I still absolutely adore this game and I play it almost every day. Have my federation rank up to petty officer now and I explored Sol, which was a breathtaking experience.

I've been doing some reading about the countless "mysteries" that Frontier has placed within the galaxy. Has frontier ever said how many mysteries there are, or is it just used to keep people engaged and wanting to explore?

Agremont

I finally got back from my trip to the center and colonia. What a journey!

Sadly I didn't reach Elite rank though. At 58% pioneer. Time to do some passenger missions I guess.

Burny

OT, but it might be relevant for other Elite players as well: X4 is looking very intriguing.

I've very limited interest in a single player space game timesink that doesn't allow for some form of cooperative PvE, but I've to admit, what they're showing there is very promising. It seems to sport the "seemless 1st person" experience of Star Citizen, a more expansive universe like Elite and being a single player offering unlike Elite, a game world where you can actually touch things (build, own and upgrade stations, not get shouted down by forumnist that this isn't part of the 30 year Elite legacy and you're naughty for even suggesting Elite's galaxy to actually incorporate guild etc. functions). They also promise to let you fly anything rather than bind you to a single ship as in X: Rebirth.

Might be well worth a look.

SmartBase

OT, but it might be relevant for other Elite players as well: X4 is looking very intriguing.

I've very limited interest in a single player space game timesink that doesn't allow for some form of cooperative PvE, but I've to admit, what they're showing there is very promising. It seems to sport the "seemless 1st person" experience of Star Citizen, a more expansive universe like Elite and being a single player offering unlike Elite, a game world where you can actually touch things (build, own and upgrade stations, not get shouted down by forumnist that this isn't part of the 30 year Elite legacy and you're naughty for even suggesting Elite's galaxy to actually incorporate guild etc. functions). They also promise to let you fly anything rather than bind you to a single ship as in X: Rebirth.

Didn't even know there was footage of X4, won't be going near Elite's fake economy once it launches. It looks impressive considering how tiny Egosoft is.

Burny

Didn't even know there was footage of X4, won't be going near Elite's fake economy once it launches. It looks impressive considering how tiny Egosoft is.

There's more.

I have the X collection - excluding Rebirth - sitting untouched in my Steam backlog of shame. My only experience with the series was the original X some 15 (?) years ago, when it was included in a gaming magazine. I'm hoping for good HOTAS/TrackIR support in X4. But I think I'll bite anyway. Online coop would make the whole thing absolutely perfect for me though.

Who am I kidding? :p I hardly play Elite cooperatively these days anyway, the handful of players I brought into the game have dropped it. Or it takes half the evening play time to meet up ingame. Single player grind it is.

Burny

Did X3 Rebirth ever get "fixed"? All I ever read about was how tragically bad things went with that game.

It's "X Rebirth", isn't it (no "3", the various X3 addons were reasonably well received I think)? Only heard bad things about the original game and the devs in the stream linked above also acknowledge complaints and failings. Expansions seem to have been a bit better received.

Still, here's hoping for X4. The dev seems to be tiny, so some jankyness with their releases is probably unavoidable. But it at least sounds as if they're bringing back the aspects of X3 that were well liked but dropped by "Rebirth", combining it with some of the things they tried to introduce in Rebirth.

SmartBase

There's more.

I have the X collection - excluding Rebirth - sitting untouched in my Steam backlog of shame. My only experience with the series was the original X some 15 (?) years ago, when it was included in a gaming magazine. I'm hoping for good HOTAS/TrackIR support in X4. But I think I'll bite anyway. Online coop would make the whole thing absolutely perfect for me though.

Who am I kidding? :p I hardly play Elite cooperatively these days anyway, the handful of players I brought into the game have dropped it. Or it takes half the evening play time to meet up ingame. Single player grind it is.

They managed to fix some of the more annoying issues with Rebirth (except for the single ship thing) so I'm fairly confident they've learned their lesson going to X4.

Anyway that's enough OT from me, my PC Elite name is SmartBase if anyone wants to do some pew pew some time.

Sethista

The game is discounted this week in psn, I always wanted to get it but I have a friend who said he feels there is not alot to do in the game.

Is it really only 2 types of missions in the game, cargo and assassinations?

And how does multiplayer work, are there clans that people work together? Or is it more every person for themselves?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
The game is discounted this week in psn, I always wanted to get it but I have a friend who said he feels there is not alot to do in the game.

Is it really only 2 types of missions in the game, cargo and assassinations?

And how does multiplayer work, are there clans that people work together? Or is it more every person for themselves?

I would say it's very much worth it at 20 GBP, let alone the discounted price.
If you're in the market for an open-fare space sim, you can't really go wrong.
There are way more than 2 types of missions. There is plenty to do.

You can play in Open mode, which puts you in instances (pockets of space) with other players.
You can form a Wing with players/friends so you always join the same instances.
Then there is Solo mode, where you only play with NPCs. This still requires an internet connection, but not PS+.
(You can also play in a Private Game in which only you and your select friends can join.)

As for clans, etc. there is Powerplay, which is not perfect but is quite a deep and rewarding metagame if you're willing to put in some effort. There are many friendly and helpful player groups (on Reddit, Discord, etc.) dedicated to Powerplay, which can make it a nice social experience.

You can ignore all that completely, though, and just make your own way in the universe.
It's a very immersive game with a rich atmosphere and fantastic sound design.
I haven't booted up anything else on my PS4 since it's release.

... Kind of bummed that the game is discounted but not the expansion. Been looking forward to snagging Horizons in a sale.

Caustic damage added. Makes sense that would be the Thargoid damage type with the way their tech eats through cargo racks. We'll either need to engineer our armor or buy a new class of it.

Time to re-join the blue queen's faction. Gonna need +1 of every shield class to roll caustic damage reduction on it.

Effect

Nice. I've been interested in the X games for a while but never had the time to check one out. Curious to how this will turn out. Like what I see so far.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I'm thinking of mixing things up and doing something I never ever do in this game and building an explorer ship and just going out into deep space and exploring all the stuff I've been staring at the star map for for over a year and saying to myself "man it'd be cool to go there one day"

I don't really think I'm gonna engineer anything other than maybe the powerplant (so I can carry a D grade of a smaller class probably) and definitely the FSD.

What explorer ships would you guys recommend? I've already flown enough of the AspX in my days so I'm looking at something else I had my eyes set on this DBX which looks like she'll be fun to fly around.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/dia...18UA==.Aw18UA==..EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwV0A=

But I don't really know what goes into an explorer ship lol. Does the DBX share the insanely good heat management of the DBS (which is one of my favorite ships in the game might i add) because that'll come in handy when flying close to stars or planets that are right up near a massive star. If the heat tolerance on this thing is as good as I want it to be I could probably ditch the heat sinks for more jump range.

I was thinking a keelback for the SLF to do canyon racing but i've already flown one about for a while when SLF first released.

Alternatively, while I know it's not a great ship as far as jump range exploring in a courier could be really fun.
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/imp...18UA==.Aw18UA==..EwegLCAMUgHDBTAhgcwDYJCAjJPQ.

Edit: Alright whatever good to go I guess.

Tomorrow I depart. First stop - Betelgeuse! I heard there is a planet that's ridiculously close to the star so you can sit on the horizon and just stare at the massive star dwarfing you.

StonedRider

What explorer ships would you guys recommend? I've already flown enough of the AspX in my days so I'm looking at something else I had my eyes set on this DBX which looks like she'll be fun to fly around.

I understand you do not want to use AspX, but I like it a lot.

And it is not the jump range (mine is about 53 Ly), it is the ability to use 6A Fuel Scoop. It is the beast, you can fill your tank faster than FSD cooldown time. With 4A Fues Scoop you waste too many time and risk overheating.

Also, I'd suggest you to change Fuel Tank 5 to 4. There should be enough fuel for 2-3 long jumps (test it first, I've never used DbX) but you will save a lot of weight this way. You do not need this extra fuel, especially if you plot your course through scoopable stars.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah the difference in scoop time between the DBX and AspX is about 3x as long for the DBX but I think I can live with that lol. I have just had my fill of that ship. It's so boring to flyyyyy. I might down class the fuel tank on the DBX later. Or at least tinker with that.

Always keep enough money to cover the insurance rebuy cost.
You get the full price back when selling upgrade modules so don't be afraid to experiment.
Don't panic (and bring a tea towel if you forget the first rule).

Yeah the difference in scoop time between the DBX and AspX is about 3x as long for the DBX but I think I can live with that lol. I have just had my fill of that ship. It's so boring to flyyyyy. I might down class the fuel tank on the DBX later. Or at least tinker with that.

DBX has great heat management, like its smaller cousin.
Jump range is a bit better, which offsets the extra scoop time since you'll use less fuel for equal range jumps.
It looks better than the Asp too, but the cockpit view isn't as good.

If you like big stars, go to VX Canis Majoris.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Any generic and quick tips for someone just starting out and has no experience playing space ship sims?

- Don't buy/fly anything you can't insure (afford the rebuy cost for).
- Don't be afraid to upgrade your starting ship. An upgraded Sidewinder is more useful early on than any other barebones boat.
- Your FDS in particular is a solid upgrade choice, as it manages jump range, meaning fewer stops on your various journeys.
- Once you do fancy a new ship and you can afford some upgrades/insurance for it, the Cobra is a great early all-rounder.
- Try all types of missions and see what's for you. Get to systems holding community goals once they're within your reach, as CGs are a great way to make money early on.

If you have any specific questions, just ask!

I have some time off until the 14th. Time to do some serious grinding.

1) Finish my fed grind, so I can get my Corvette. I'm a warrant officer, so I need six more ranks.
2) Prestige in CQC. I'm at 41, so I'm like halfway. 40-50 requires the same amount of xp as 1-39.

Both of these should be doable.

zorbsie

I have some time off until the 14th. Time to do some serious grinding.

1) Finish my fed grind, so I can get my Corvette. I'm a warrant officer, so I need six more ranks.
2) Prestige in CQC. I'm at 41, so I'm like halfway. 40-50 requires the same amount of xp as 1-39.

Both of these should be doable.

Where are you grinding fed rank?

Top Bottom