• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns

Instro

Metroid isn't that popular. Zero mission was a remake, so it sold a little less than the usual 2d metroid games.

It sold like a 3rd of what Fusion managed, so not great. I would imagine it being a remake, and it launching soon after the DS was announced, hurt it. Good parallels to draw there with this upcoming game.

RRockman

Banned
It sold like a 3rd of what Fusion managed, so not great. I would imagine it being a remake, and it launching soon after the DS was announced, hurt it. Good parallels to draw there with this upcoming game.

So we're looking at another forgotten gem?

ARGGGGH!

Golnei

So we're looking at another forgotten gem?

ARGGGGH!

2 years between Fusion and ZM compared to 13 years between ZM and Samus Returns does create a slightly different situation, however. And even if this game undershoots its modest sales expectations, Prime 4 not being a complete failure might avert the series going dormant for another decade, at least for a little while.

This is really sad. Fans like myself have been clamoring for a new 2D game for awhile. Understandably so since it's been 13 years. Now that we finally have one, and a finally a chance at a Metroid 5, everyone is being so nitpicky because it's on 3DS...

RagnarokX

This is really sad. Fans like myself have been clamoring for a new 2D game for awhile. Understandably so since it's been 13 years. Now that we finally have one, and a finally a chance at a Metroid 5, everyone is being so nitpicky because it's on 3DS...

xqkhiQo.jpg

Instro

Whether or not people are being nitpicky, Nintendo put themselves in this position. If you're trying to revive a series, put your best foot forward. Look at the recent Crash re-release. Agressive pricing, 3 games in one, launching on the hottest platform available. I'm not saying Nintendo has to do that, but they basically did the exact opposite. Full price, nickel and dime amiibo stuff, not available on the current hot ticket console, etc. Just seems like some bad thought processes went into this release when they probably could have done better.

Mediking

This game AND that Fire Emblem Echoes game should've got Switch ports.

I PROMISE you that Fire Emblem Echoes game would STILL be talked about and discussed today if it had been on Switch. That game came and went so fast.

But no.

The wait would be easier (for Fire Emblem Switch and Prime 4) if we had those 3DS ports in 2017... THIS year.

And no. Switch wouldn't be seen as a port haven. Even though there are various 3DS games that would prolly do pretty great on Switch.

RagnarokX

Whether or not people are being nitpicky, Nintendo put themselves in this position.bid your trying to revive a series, put your best for forward. Look at the recent Crash re-release. Agressive pricing, 3 games in one, launching on the hottest platform available. I'm not saying Nintendo has to so that, but they basically did the exact opposite. Full price, nickel and dime amiibo stuff, not available on the current hot ticket, etc. Just seems like some bad thought processes went into this release when they probably could have done better.

They're not trying to revive a series. Metroid sales have always been pretty stable, but not high enough for Nintendo to make lots of games.

They're releasing it on a system that has a much bigger install base with a much lower barrier to entry.

This remake is so agressive that it only superficially resembles the game it's a remake of. It might as well be a new game. Of course it should be full price.

Instro

As if a fan remake and constant clamoring for more Metroid wasn't enough, Nintendo

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised that the big fan response to AM2R, and download numbers, is what got this game moving again. Assuming the rumors are true about it having development issues.

RagnarokX

As if a fan remake and constant clamoring for more Metroid wasn't enough, Nintendo

It's not. Fans can say they want something as much as they want but if they don't actually buy the games it's worth jack. Nintendo can't fund development on wishes.

Just look at this game. Fans say they want Metroid and then a lot of them are finding any reason not to get this game. It's made by Sakamoto, that guy that made most of the good games and one mediocre one! It's made by Mercury Steam! That team that made 1 bad Castlevania game that Konami told them to make! It's on 3DS! I sold my 3DS even though Nintendo was announcing more games for it.

I'm in since I HAVE to play it, although I'm pretty much done with 3DS games otherwise. Hoping it is successful enough so we get a 2D metroid on Switch. :D

Feffe

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised that the big fan response to AM2R, and download numbers, is what got this game moving again. Assuming the rumors are true about it having development issues.
? Can you link those rumors? Never heard of them

kc44135

Release it on a system that I'm currently playing.

Thx.
Agreed!
Buy said system to play the game you want. that's how it works.

Nah. I didn't have to buy a PS3 to play new games after PS4 was out. Why should I have to go buy hardware that is garbage in 2017 just to play a new game from Nintendo? I don't want to go backwards, and play new games on old, obsolete hardware with fugly graphics. If I have to do that, what's the point of upgrading? Nintendo should get with the times, and do more cross-gen releases like BOTW. Also, for the folks saying it's difficult to port 3DS games to HD platforms... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XVf2KZ2vljs

kc44135

It's not. Fans can say they want something as much as they want but if they don't actually buy the games it's worth jack. Nintendo can't fund development on wishes.

Just look at this game. Fans say they want Metroid and then a lot of them are finding any reason not to get this game. It's made by Sakamoto, that guy that made most of the good games and one mediocre one! It's made by Mercury Steam! That team that made 1 bad Castlevania game that Konami told them to make! It's on 3DS! I sold my 3DS even though Nintendo was announcing more games for it.

Mercury Steam made two bad Castlevanias and a mediocre one, tho. Not a great track record, IMO.

The game was heavily built into the 3ds for one. Porting it would definitely take some time and money.

Would it be worth going through that when zero mission flopped as the last 2d game?

Resident Evil Revelations was also a 3ds game....
It would be totally worth it!
Besides, that was 13 years ago. Can we really measure success of something from over a decade ago especially when said item wasn't even bad to begin with?

Not porting the game to Switch will make Citra look far more attractive.
They definitely don't want that to be even more of an issue than what it already is.

RagnarokX

Mercury Steam made two bad Castlevanias and a mediocre one, tho. Not a great track record, IMO.

But is that their fault? They weren't trying to make Castlevania games. Konami wanted to reboot the franchise and Konami told Mercury Steam that they were making a new IP at first. They followed the direction Konami wanted.

This situation is different. Nintendo is directing them to make something faithful and it looks excellent so far.

Retro couldn't even make a game worth releasing without Tanabe and Miyamoto taking hands-on roles with them and that got us Prime.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
I hate this kind of logic in the industry. Here, we're going to go ahead and make a <genre> game. Now we'll see if people want us to make <genre> games. You just made that game! And NOW you want to find out if people like the idea? Why don't you do some research? Ask your fanbase.

Astral Dog

Whether or not people are being nitpicky, Nintendo put themselves in this position. If you're trying to revive a series, put your best foot forward. Look at the recent Crash re-release. Agressive pricing, 3 games in one, launching on the hottest platform available. I'm not saying Nintendo has to do that, but they basically did the exact opposite. Full price, nickel and dime amiibo stuff, not available on the current hot ticket console, etc. Just seems like some bad thought processes went into this release when they probably could have done better.
3DS has sold far more than Switch so far and Samus Returns Assets wouldn't look good in HD ( or anything really)

HotHamBoy

I hate this kind of logic in the industry. Here, we're going to go ahead and make a <genre> game. Now we'll see if people want us to make <genre> games. You just made that game! And NOW you want to find out if people like the idea? Why don't you do some research? Ask your fanbase.

Fans need to put their money where their mouth is, though.

Anyway, people bitching about it being on 3DS don't seem to realize that it's a far safer play for Nintendo to target the maximum possible user base and porting it to Switch costs a lot more in money and resources.

ToonLink

Well, I did my part by pre-ordering the special edition. I don't play my 3ds much anymore, but I'm happy to dust it off for some Metroid.

RagnarokX

You're not thinking about it right.

This franchise has a history of not being a mega seller, with the last game in this style not even breaking 1 million. Fans say they want things all they want because words are cheap, but the amount that will open their wallets when the time comes is significantly less. Nintendo making this game is them listening to the fans saying they want another game and taking a risk trusting that supposed demand. The success of this game will let Nintendo know if they were wise to trust the fans and make more games or if they should shelve the franchise for 13 more years.

If they ask fans they will say yes they want it. But that doesn't equal sales. All those people hyped for Metroid Prime 4 maybe half will actually buy it. Nintendo is a business and if something isn't selling even if its a high quality product they have to ask themselves if its worth dumping all this money into it or into 4 Kirby games that will sell.

Venfayth

Fans need to put their money where their mouth is, though.

Anyway, people bitching about it being on 3DS don't seem to realize that it's a far safer play for Nintendo to target the maximum possible user base and porting it to Switch costs a lot more in money and resources.

Fans are not obligated to do anything. If Nintendo wants a game to sell they should make it appealing and not toy with an IP to see how much crap said fans will deal with in order to support the franchise.

Furthermore I'm assuming most people who want it on the Switch, not 3DS, are smart enough to see the completely transparent reason behind why they're developing it for the 3DS to begin with: it will sell more.

This doesn't mean people need to support that reason. I have no problems buying a good game (which it seems this very well may be), but Nintendo have given me reasons to not buy it at the same time.

wrowa

What has that to do with the games industry? If a movie flops, they won't make a sequel either. Similarly, if this game flops, it's hard to justify making further games in this style.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Fans are not obligated to do anything. If Nintendo wants a game to sell they should make it appealing and not toy with an IP to see how much crap said fans will deal with in order to support the franchise.

Furthermore I'm assuming most people who want it on the Switch, not 3DS, are smart enough to see the completely transparent reason behind why they're developing it for the 3DS to begin with: it will sell more.

This doesn't mean people need to support that reason. I have no problems buying a good game (which it seems this very well may be), but Nintendo have given me reasons to not buy it at the same time.
Your just spouting words, the game looked appealing on reveal, tree house further enticed people, hands on by the press have been positive, hands on by long Metroid fans and other gamers have been positive, the only thing keeping "fans" from buying this game is themselves

Mark1

To the people who continue to complain about no Switch release, yeah it sucks but....

Could've been a lot worse, a dormant franchise returning after years of lost hope is a blessing. It looks great on the 3DS, will happily make this my swan song title for the handheld. Cannot wait to play this!

And we have Prime 4 coming too.

2 Metroid games makes me happy. Very happy.

And no doubt we will get another 2D game - on the Switch at least.

Metroid is back guys, we couldn't say that with confidence since 2009 with the average Other M.

oatmeal

Banned
Buy said system to play the game you want. that's how it works.
Considering they have a system meant to bridge the gap and it's selling like hot cakes, surely they would want to pad its lineup with another game to get it to as many players as possible.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Considering they have a system meant to bridge the gap and it's selling like hot cakes, surely they would want to pad its lineup with another game to get it to as many players as possible.
This game was in development for 2 years on 3DS hardware and is releasing in like a Month if not less then and wasent revealed until less than 2 months ago

Astral Dog

They started development a couple years ago, there is a 3D, HD brand new Metroid coming to switch called Prime 4.

This is more like a 'cheap remake

oatmeal

Banned
This game was in development for 2 years on 3DS hardware and is releasing in like a Month if not less then and wasent revealed until less than 2 months ago

The Switch started development more than I'm sure. It would be great to just have total coverage for their games...that was the point of having hybrid. No more having to decide, one game for home and away. I disagree with them keeping 3DS line separate, it's getting games like Fire Emblem and Metroid while the Switch is getting some mediocre indie titles and a monthly bigger release.

I hope it changes sooner than later. Without Virtual Console, the eShop is very empty.

Top Bottom