• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: "Microsoft's final sales pitch for Xbox One X falls flat"

sam12

Can you imagine how much bigger the hype for this console would be if they actually had exclusives to show for. Missed opportunity by MS

Fbh

Fully agree.

Have a Ps4 and a PC that isn't a beast but can run most modern games on high settings at 60fps (1080p though).

Ps4 gets plenty of use because it constantly has unique exclusives games. This year in particular has been crazy, with Nioh, Yakuza , horizon, persona , gravity Rush, etc.

I see no reason to buy a Xb1X.

Duxxy3

I think his point is they're not an exclusive selling point when millions of people can play it elsewhere. If I see a TV advert for some flashy new God of War game, I have no choice but to buy a Sony console to play it. And that leads to... extra sales.

Agreed.

If I want to play God of War, or Uncharted, or Horizon I'm going to need a PS4.

If I want to play Zelda, or Mario, or Metroid I'm going to need a Switch.

If I want to play Halo, or Forza, or Gears I'm going to need... maybe a new video card. Once I get that, I'll get all my non-Microsoft games from steam. So thanks Microsoft, you've sold me on Steam.

There's no future investment in the Xbox ecosystem needed any longer. There's no incentive to buy an Xbox. It's no longer necessary to own if you want to play these games.

MS has definitely been lacking on first party investments, and this was true before even the launch of the XO. They had a whole generation to fix this, and they failed. 2011-2013 were some dark years for MS. Their heads were so stuck up their own asses that they didn't realize they were turning off their most loyal fans, but their their gimmick didn't interest the mainstream either. In other words the Xbox One X design approach should have been the focus of the Xbox One from day 1. Build the most powerful console at the time, and worry about content. The X is too little too late, and some slightly prettier graphics(at least in the eyes of the mainstream audiences) are not going to cut if they want to catch up with Sony. I think that Sony will even launch another strong console in the next couple of years. They know what works now, and what does not work. Powerful console at an affordable price, great exclusive content, and also a great multi platform games.

dose

I want the console, but...where are the exclusive games? It's like they gave up on game on development .
There are no exclusive games because there were never going to be. It's a problem, but as it would split the userbase it's a bad idea too.

Marker007

I bought an X Box One the same day I got my PS4. I was excited for Dead Rising 4 but then quickly let down. Then I was excited for Scale Bound. That didn't turn out much better for me. The last hope I held on to was Crack Down 3. With the date getting pushed back further I just decided to sell the thing and move on. I really wanted to play some top notch exclusive this gen on all three of my home consoles but sadly one of them under delivered big time. It's a total shame too, I had a 360 before my PS3 last gen and I loved a ton of the games we got early on for it.

Raw64life

here was perhaps one announcement of a genuine exclusive for Xbox: a vertical console stand for the day one edition of the Xbox One X, as unpackaged by Major Nelson in an abandoned office on the other side of the world.

Good to see a site not buy into the attempt to distort what the word exclusive means. MS doesn't make exclusives anymore.

I think the biggest problem with the Xbox One X is that it doesn't do any good for the brand going forward. Yeah, it's the most powerful console right now, but at this point, it will do them little good. It won't give them momentum, not at that the price point.

New must-have titles wouldn't change the seas and suddenly make MS the gen winner, but would create positive hype around the brand. It gives people things to look forward to next gen. Like Halo, for instance, was one of the things that pushed the X360.

Right now, the big problem isn't that I can't see why I'd buy the Xbox One X; the problem is that this kind of misplaced commitment doesn't sell me neither this nor their next box.

TBiddy

Tbh, there's nothing much that MS could do to change things around this gen. The bigger problem is that they aren't making the moves necessary to turn things around next gen.

I assume that the leadership at MS are busy preparing for the next gen, including, but not limited to, preparing a host of new exclusives. If not, they don't deserve their jobs.

Good to see a site not buy into the attempt to distort what the word exclusive means. MS doesn't make exclusives anymore.

wat

JlNX

These responses lmao. Yeah, Eurogamer is just attacking the Xbox because it's 'the cool thing to do'. It's a well-written article that raises plenty of good points and comes to a sensible conclusion. If you disagree, how about engaging in the debate instead of just crying that someone on the internet dares question Microsoft?

You obviously didn't read my post, you are probably also seemingly in the same position as this writer in terms of not knowing what he was getting. Keep the fanboy accusations to your inner monologue, I have my fair share of criticism for MS on these forums.

I had high hopes for Microsoft before E3. I was convinced they'd come out and announce exclusive games and an appealing price point for their new machine.

Instead it's $500, they have next to no exclusives and what exclusives they do have keep appearing on PC making the console redundant and they delayed Crackdown out of 2017.

PS4Pro was easier to swallow at least because it wasn't being pushed as hard and they had a large stable of video games to look forward to.

GHG

Seems like people and media outlets will never be satisfied on any level with what Microsoft does with the Xbox brand. People are set to comment negatively because it's the cool thing to do, I guess.

I have my order in for two X units and I cant wait to play the 4K enhanced games and new games that are in the pipeline.

Based on the hardware of the X, yeah, it's going to be the best console platform to play all games on....even if people dont agree of the quantity and quality of their exclusives.

Based on Microsoft's own projections, the Xbox brand is going to be just fine and I cant wait to see what they have in store in the near future.

Dont understand why people want or think that the Xbox brand is just going to disappear one day. To their illusion, dont understand why that would even be a good thing. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

Hold the phone.

Why don't you first tell us where that is even happening in this thread?

This isn't some vendetta against Microsoft by the public either. You only have to look at the number of Xbox 360 sales they had over a sustained period of time. The mass market responds well to products that they see as the perfect balance of quality and value. This generation, in comparison to what is on offer by the competition Microsoft have lagged behind from day one. Less games, more expensive, US centric marketing, mixed messaging... Need I go on? That then sets the tone, it sets the narrative and it's difficult to come back from that. In order to turn the tide they would need something major and groundbreaking. Something that sends shockwaves through the industry, even beyond the industry. But it's pretty clear they don't have that.

The Xbox One X is a very nice piece of hardware, but it's just that, a very nice piece of hardware and I find it shocking that a company known for its software can't seem to get their shit together in that respect.

Sure they do.

Publish on Steam.

Probably get a lot more sales than what Microsoft gets from their own Windows store.
If you want to then sure. But they want to see how it does in the Windows Store before letting a third-party store take it from there.
okay, would you agree to the following description?

"Xbox one X is geared towards gamers not interested in PC gaming, who are willing to pay premium for the premium third party experience"
That perfectly describes me.

It's what a very few have been saying before for this console and PS4 Pro as well. If you chain it to the base, you offer nothing more than a slightly better visual fidelity. If you don't have a 4K TV you might not even get that. And if you do have 4K tv, you might not care about it.

Josh5890

As someone who loves Nintendo and Playstation, but never owned an Xbox system this concerns me greatly. I want Microsoft to turn heads in a good way. I don't want Sony to get too cocky with the PS5 like how they were with the PS3's launch.

Healthy competition is always important

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Agreed.

If I want to play Halo, or Forza, or Gears I'm going to need... maybe a new video card. Once I get that, I'll get all my non-Microsoft games from steam. So thanks Microsoft, you've sold me on Steam.

There's no future investment in the Xbox ecosystem needed any longer. There's no incentive to buy an Xbox. It's no longer necessary to own if you want to play these games.

And you don't even need to pay for xbox live I was interested in this new xbox now I might just put half that price in a new gpu without losing anything.Except maybe 360 games butr i can just buy a secondhand 360 for 50 bucks with games.

Xando

To be honest with that price tag i expect it to be sub 400€ by summer next year here in europe.

I‘ll get one when it’s cheap because i like their new interface and want EA Access again

I don't really get why MS is putting all their games on PC..I mean it's great for PC gamers but it doesn't really make a compelling reason for buying an Xbox.

I assume that the leadership at MS are busy preparing for the next gen, including, but not limited to, preparing a host of new exclusives. If not, they don't deserve their jobs.

wat

I'm sure their will be a divulge of titles at the beginning of the gen much like this. After that though, same situation again?

And if MS continues to double down on NA like they are, there's little to no hope their chances ever improve. That just means all Sony has to do is go even or slight loss in NA and they'll handily sweep the next gen too.

Nemesis_

I think MS thinks that the Xbox One X is going to be the place to play third party games. I'll personally do that (thankfully got a Scorpio unit ordered this morning), but the mass market has already embraced the PS4 for that purpose. It's a weird marketing position for them to take given their position in the market.

I totally agree that Halo, Forza and Gears are "yesterdays news". I don't know the numbers or whatever, but I really fucking wish they took the time to put out a proper Fable. Just something from a brand they haven't flogged in the past few years.

Famassu

I think the writer needs to ask himself the question what was he expecting? did he even know what this was, I assume someone in the press should know. It was your expectations to set, if you set them in a way that was unachievable then thats on you. Do I disagree with the fact that first party needs to be better no, but for this Gamescom event to be a realisation of that or a reason to repeat the same thing yes. I understand it's a writer warping a situation to fit a need for a conversation that will work out well for the outlet in terms of views, but it comes of as the press not even doing any research and ends up reflecting poorly on them. Repeating the same thing over and over again of a conversation that has been going on for the past 6 months isn't doing much, if your going to write an opinion piece then make it something worthwhile that actually tries to bring up a new point of conversation. Maybe an idea, a look at first party over the years, investigative journalism, interviews that actually ask meaningful questions, repeated empty criticism only loses impact upon repeating. Constructive criticism is the only thing I haven't seen from an outlet, and the few times I have it has been a useless fanboy dreams, unrealistic or has no form of subjective opinion.
Xbone X is releasing very soon and MS still can't offer what, to the writer of the article, feels like any kind of compelling reason to own it at the (one of the) biggest gaming event(s) of the world. I think that's not empty criticism at all.

I'm not sure MS could have ever convinced me to buy an XbX. It looks nice and for a console packs a good punch...but after getting more and more into PC gaming the last few years I've come to want fps over resolution after a certain point. With Play Anywhere (or whatever its called) I can get any titles I might be interested in on PC and Forza and Gears for example have either never done it for me or I'm just ambivalent towards.

Its a shame, I like my X1 but its become a BC machine now. Which is kinda cool, but even if I was interested in something like AC Origins (my PC almost certainly won't be able to run it at 1440p/60fps etc :p) i'm not gonna spend £450 on a device that would have limited potential.

It'll be interesting to see what new IPs they come up with next, but tbh I'd be way more interested in Xbox as an MS service (making it their w10 etc version of Steam while periodically selling Xbox branded hardware packages) than a new console.

shame

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. I locked in an amazon pre order just in case I do decide to keep this.

What is the point in this console though, nothing I have seen makes me need it, nothing new was shown. Why would I spend 550$ on this?

I've been looking at forums and their press releases, nothing in there is new, and most of all, no games to back this thing up. I don't care about a prettier version of a 3 yr old game.

I just want a reason to want this.

I wasn't exactly paying close attention to the stream when it was on yesterday, but their use of "world exclusive" for an AC trailer made me not pay attention that much more. Obviously it's not easy to pull games, much less exclusive games out of nowhere, but if you're having an hour plus stream I would hope there would be some big surprises.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Tbh, there's nothing much that MS could do to change things around this gen. The bigger problem is that they aren't making the moves necessary to turn things around next gen.

This seems to be the case, but isn't known. IF you believe Phil Spencer, there are exclusives coming which are too far out to show at this time. That would hint that they'll be there for next gen... but.. that's IF you choose to believe.

There is another component to why Xbox is struggling. Honestly, a lot of their titles have failed to be the kind of flagship, tentpole system sellers that AAA first-party exclusives are expected to be.

If we look at some of the social metrics of how much interest are there in the games that are supposedly coming out in the first half of next year, comparing MS's 3 spring exclusives vs Sony's 2 big early 2018 games...

DlhLNK3.jpg

TBiddy

I'm sure their will be a divulge of titles at the beginning of the gen much like this. After that though, same situation again?

It's not impossible, no. I mean, it's not like they need to match Sonys numbers - a lot of the exclusives are japanese games - but there needs to be more than FM, GoW and Halo, plus a small lot of other games.

Balb

I'm not saying that the X isn't well-engineered, and that I won't get one down the line but from a sales perspective I'm not sure how it'll move the needle. If Xbox One sales have stalled, how is a new model that costs double the price going to help things in the long term?

Fisty

How people are turning Xbox Play Anywhere releases of MS first party into a BAD thing is blowing my mind.

The only thing it's bad for is MS's hardware sales and ecosystem. If you don't need the hardware, and have a much better place to buy every other non-exclusive, how is that a win for MS?

ViviOggi

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. I locked in an amazon pre order just in case I do decide to keep this.

What is the point in this console though, nothing I have seen makes me need it, nothing new was shown. Why would I spend 550$ on this?

I've been looking at forums and their press releases, nothing in there is new, and most of all, no games to back this thing up. I don't care about a prettier version of a 3 yr old game.

I just want a reason to want this.
Gamers

I like the idea of the BC and services like EA Access. MS is also more open to mods as we've seen with Skryim and Fallout 4 so I might just get multiplatforms on that for those types of game. It's a pretty compact system that I could get enjoyment out of especially when I go home for the holidays. I miss that couch coop gaming has pretty much died, but at least BC is keeping that alive somewhat. I look forward to playing Ghostbusters and the old Halo games again and Forza might be my new racer since GT continues to disappoint. I can do all this with a basic Xbox One S, but I'm not going to buy the worst version of an XBox considering it doesn't even do 1080p all that well. My only concern is the long-term support for it.

We are well more than halfway in this console cycle and MS is still trying to fix it's launch failures. Power and specs is nice but games matters more at this stage of the life cycle

DryvBy

The launch was rocky and while they fixed most of those issues, they failed at providing a variety of games. It seems they've spent more money on buying exclusives than actually working on some themselves. Halo just isn't the same (I haven't been able to bring myself to finish Halo 4 or 5). I wasn't a huge fan of the new Gears either.

The other big problem is now that all of their games are also on PC, I'm not sure what the point is of buying a new console from them. I'm not even knocking this about them. It's great. But from a standpoint of selling me another Xbox, I don't see it as an option anymore.

SpotAnime

Agreed.

That's not entirely true. You're still buying into the Xbox ecosystem for Play Anywhere games, of which there are many on the horizon. Recore, Forza, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Disneyland Adventures (lol, but I'm getting it). You get a new video card, you still buy these from the Microsoft store, and you still have them on your Xbox One.

The problem is that's for the small number of exclusives available. All others (multiplats) will be better suited for Steam, or if you're a PS4 owner on that console.

That's why Microsoft isn't getting my hardware money this year, or perhaps even next - I just took my budget and threw it into a new gaming PC. They will get some of my software dollars for the games aforementioned. But they are in jepoardy of getting my money for the many services they've built - I may let my XBL account lapse, I'm not buying into Gamepass, EA Access, etc).

I'm not saying that the X isn't well-engineered, and that I won't get one down the line but from a sales perspective I'm not sure how it'll move the needle. If Xbox One sales have stalled, why is a new model that costs double the price going to help things in the long term?

It's a really silly proposition, only a handful of people are going to pick this up at $500.

ValeYard

The last line in the article about the stand and the Xbox brand just attempting to stay upright is great work.

A boon for the fans, with a little exclusive vertical stand thrown in to boot. Given the hits the brand has taken over the past few years, staying upright might be all that can be asked for right now.

I bought the Xbox One Day One edition back in the day and, apart from Halo 5, have been pretty systematically disappointed by MS. They do seem to be making an effort, but I just prefer to game elsewhere, i.e, PS4, Switch, 3DS.

I doubt they are seriously expecting massive Xbox One X sales anyway if PS4 Pro sales are anything to go by, but hope they figure out some better reasons to keep their great hardware relevant.

Also, I kinda don't like the whole insiderism of we're calling the special edition the console codename for the 'real fans,' but that's just me being contrarian.

There is another component to why Xbox is struggling. Honestly, a lot of their titles have failed to be the kind of flagship, tentpole system sellers that AAA first-party exclusives are expected to be.

If we look at some of the social metrics of how much interest are there in the games that are supposedly coming out in the first half of next year, comparing MS's 3 spring exclusives vs Sony's 2 big early 2018 games...

DlhLNK3.jpg

200_s.gif

DlhLNK3.jpg

Using the term "Spider-Man" seems kind of unfair, no? That would encompass everything, not just the video game.

Top Bottom