• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Kaladin

Has anyone got either of the the Pantera 20th anniversary CDs? Just wondering if they are worth the double dip.

I would say Cowboys From Hell is more than Vulgar....it just depends on how much live Pantera you want from those eras. Cowboys at least has the demo version of the album, and Vulgar has an unreleased track titled "Piss" that probably should have remained unreleased.

Speaking of Pantera, I met Vinnie at a club a few months back (for those who don't know... he was the drummer and Dimebag's brother, and is now in the horrendous band Hell Yeah)

He was wasted, but I shook his hand because DAMMIT, for all the shit Pantera gets, Dimebag was still a badass. I introduced myself and he repeated my name back to me, incorrectly.

I went home that night and listened to Burzum to forget about Vinnie's shaky musical legacy, but it was still kind of a neat moment

Kaladin

Speaking of Pantera, I met Vinnie at a club a few months back (for those who don't know... he was the drummer and Dimebag's brother, and is now in the horrendous band Hell Yeah)

He was wasted, but I shook his hand because DAMMIT, for all the shit Pantera gets, Dimebag was still a badass. I introduced myself and he repeated my name back to me, incorrectly.

I went home that night and listened to Burzum to forget about Vinnie's shaky musical legacy, but it was still kind of a neat moment

I think Down is the only Post Pantera band in this realm worth listening to.

I dislike Pantera's music, but Dimebag always seemed like a really down to earth, great guy. It's a fucking tragedy that he lost his life.

The only Pantera album worth any dips is Power Metal and we all know that'll never get released :(

I'm so glad that you guys got me interested in this album; it's really legit good. I have no interest in anything else they did, but I really dug Power Metal.

Awesome, I like the individual songs you posted Sandman. I'll check out NOLA when I have more time to devote to a full album listening session.

It's probably because I am not familiar with Down at all, but at first listen it's surprising to me that some of you who hate Pantera like Down. They sound extremely similar in style so far (which is fine by me, because I still really enjoy jamming to Cowboys From Hell every now and again)

Kaladin

Awesome, I like the individual songs you posted Sandman. I'll check out NOLA when I have more time to devote to a full album listening session.

It's probably because I am not familiar with Down at all, but at first listen it's surprising to me that some of you who hate Pantera like Down. They sound extremely similar in style so far (which is fine by me, because I still really enjoy jamming to Cowboys From Hell every now and again)

Down is more sludgy than Pantera typically gets. They're firmly rooted in the NOLA metal sound.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The only Pantera album worth any dips is Power Metal and we all know that'll never get released :(
I almost bought Metal Magic to hang it on my wall.
r-1750509-12748174725vdc9.jpeg

Not even kidding.

Pantera was interesting for a small period of time when Cowboys dropped, apparently that's because they heard Exhorder. Pantera did write some solid riffs on Cowboys though. Hearing them now is a metal buzzkill. Can't do it.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
That'd be interesting to have to explain.
It's just beautiful, man. My record store wants 40€ for it though, can't justify that.

Edit: just saw discogs prices start at 60€. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Caladrius

It's just beautiful, man. My record store wants 40€ for it though, can't justify that.

Edit: just saw discogs prices start at 60€. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'd get some merch to hang up myself if it weren't for the price.

Well, that and if I had a house I lived in for more than 2 years.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Good music day.
Thou CD looks neat. Is it actually scratched as part of the artwork or is that printed?
The Vinyl I got is basic but alright. Actually printed on the inward side of the gatefold and limited to 500 as I learned today.
Was about to buy the Cash album on CD today too, but I want my first Johnny wax so bad :(

Good music day.

I see Johnny Cash. I like your style.

I actually enjoy country, although am I in no way into the genre like I am with Metal. Cash is a bit of a lay man's country artist (almost everybody knows who he is, even those who really don't like much country), but I think he's worthy of the praise he gets obviously. I also have a few albums from Son Volt/Wilco/Uncle Tupelo.

I hate modern country, though. Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever made. Makes my skin crawl.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
But opinions apparently must be known and shared!!!

Good friend Shane. I always find it sad when metal fans take their valuable time (cept Face his time is worthless) to shit on a band. Just..go make some popcorn..or watch reruns of seinfeld. The metal community is literally shrinking by the second. In a few years dudes will wish that there was a Pantera around to hate on.

ShaneB

Good friend Shane. I always find it sad when metal fans take their valuable time (cept Face his time is worthless) to shit on a band. Just..go make some popcorn..or watch reruns of seinfeld. The metal community is literally shrinking by the second. In a few years dudes will wish that there was a Pantera around to hate on.

My response was indeed sarcastic :) If you have nothing good to say, it just makes sense to not post. I do not care if someone thinks a band is complete shit.

Caladrius

I was searching for an Iced Earth song to do for a school project and I can't help but notice how hit-and-miss their material is. When their stuff is good it's absolutely infectious, but when the song is a miss it's dreadfully boring. It baffles me.

I never gave them a second look, but my school project is on a genre and we have to dissect songs. I chose Power Metal, which was great up until I realized the only band from the American branch I listened to up until then was Kamelot, and they're not exactly a typical Power Metal band.

I ultimately chose to use Dark City.

Kaladin

Thou CD looks neat. Is it actually scratched as part of the artwork or is that printed?
The Vinyl I got is basic but alright. Actually printed on the inward side of the gatefold and limited to 500 as I learned today.
Was about to buy the Cash album on CD today too, but I want my first Johnny wax so bad :(

It's printed. I can't wait for the US vinyl, I need to keep up on when that comes out.

The Cash album is good too....digging it so far. I can't tell you if it would have been a hit in the 80s, but now it's great.

Vio-Lence

Banned

brother gr1m, i personally can do without all the hillbilly pantera fans. let the metal community be purged of that lot.

I would say Cowboys From Hell is more than Vulgar....it just depends on how much live Pantera you want from those eras. Cowboys at least has the demo version of the album, and Vulgar has an unreleased track titled "Piss" that probably should have remained unreleased.

Thanks, I have the Cowboys one. Far Beyond Driven came out today and more curious if the "remastered" made a difference

FACE

Banned

This is a discussion board, is it not? If we all did was endlessly masturbate over our favourite bands this thread would get stale quickly.

Also, go fuck yourself.

j/k <3

Top Bottom