• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

We should add this to the OP or the logo:

news_cable_mess_03_full.png
Wow, even I don't have that many wires on the floor in my room and I hook up a lot of consoles!!!

Dineren

Banned
I had a momentary lapse of judgement and hit buy it now on an Atari 600XL on ebay and it seems like the version I got is RF output only. Is there going to be any way to improve the image at all aside from modding an additional output?

I read through the thread and didn't see anything on RF, but maybe I'm just blind. At the moment it seems like the only thing I can do is use RCA female to Coax male adapter so I can bypass the RF adapter and plug it directly into my TV from the Atari. I'm pretty sure this will end up looking like garbage on my TV so thought I'd double check.

Fallen92

I had a momentary lapse of judgement and hit buy it now on an Atari 600XL on ebay and it seems like the version I got is RF output only. Is there going to be any way to improve the image at all aside from modding an additional output?

I read through the thread and didn't see anything on RF, but maybe I'm just blind. At the moment it seems like the only thing I can do is use RCA female to Coax male adapter so I can bypass the RF adapter and plug it directly into my TV from the Atari. I'm pretty sure this will end up looking like garbage on my TV so thought I'd double check.

There really isn't going to be a way to improve a rf signal all that much really since the source image quality is very low. The only way would be to mod composite video output on your Atari but you could try plugging in the rf directly to your TV and see how it looks although it will most likely look pretty bad.

eEK!

Neo Member
Also David, be sure to let us know how that cable works with your Guncon!

It will, I've used the same thing myself with Guncon1/2 on PSOne/2 being feed to a BNC/SCART connection.

These were quite commonly used in Europe with SCART connections, so its not something that's likely to have any unknown compatibility issues, just complicates your cables a bit.

mdd45

Neo Member
Looks like geometry issue to me to be honest. There is some bleeding going on yes. But that's always the case, and blue/pink colors show convergence issues the most. If you have acces to the service menu try to get geometry right (using a grid pattern or something). Top of the screen seems to be stretched outwards. Try to correct that first. Black vertical lines might as well be cable noise. Lots of possibilities here. So in short:
1. Try to get perfect geometry first.
2. Than check the convergence (white grid is perfect for that).
3. If 2 above are fine but you still have black vert lines. Try another cable.
4. If everything fails. Trash it... hehe :)

Also new thread yay! Subscribed.

I've just found out that i have this problem only when i'm using rgb scart and 240p signal. With composite i don't have this ghosting. From service menu i played with settings but geometry editing din't help either....

missile

Anyone can help me identify and fix the problem seen on the pictures. Those are from my pal Sony CRT consumer TV with RGB scart running 240p test suite on wii. I have access to the service menu of the tv.

9RE1Zv6.jpg

e05rQIj.jpg

http://imgur.com/9RE1Zv6
http://imgur.com/e05rQIj
That is ringing, I guess.

Many TVs have a (fixed at times) so-called Peaking option which basically is a
coil within the luminance channel to rise (peak) the luminance filter curve
for the higher frequencies to improve sharpness of the luminance signal.
However, too much peaking makes the filter curve a bit wavy leading to what is
known as ringing producing said patterns on the screen. Reducing said peaking
may make the ringing go away. But be aware that the test image is an artificial
image not representative of any usual video/TV signal. Meaning, the peaking
effect will look much more pronounced for a test image, yet will be fine for
any normal image. That is to say; if you reduce peaking for a test image you
may take away way too much for normal images for which the peaking setting was
adjusted for.

Edit:
In case of RGB there may be a peaking option for each channel.

mdd45

Neo Member
That is ringing, I guess.

Many TVs have a (fixed at times) so-called Peaking option which basically is a
coil within the luminance channel to rise (peak) the luminance filter curve
for the higher frequencies to improve sharpness of the luminance signal.
However, too much peaking makes the filter curve a bit wavy leading to what is
known as ringing producing said patterns on the screen. Reducing said peaking
may make the ringing go away. But be aware that the test image is an artificial
image not representative of any usual video/TV signal. Meaning, the peaking
effect will look much more pronounced for a test image, yet will be fine for
any normal image. That is to say; if you reduce peaking for a test image you
may take away way too much for normal images for which the peaking setting was
adjusted for.

Edit:
In case of RGB there may be a peaking option for each channel.

my tv's service manual and service menu looks like that: http://koti.kapsi.fi/~pietu/AE4/AE4.pdf (mine though is a KV-25X3D). Any idea what to look for?

The new OT is going awesome. I know I'm late to the party its been an insane week with work.

I'm going to call these finished for now. I haven't had a chance to start a chart for 8 bit and 16 bit computers but soon, and I should have a Framemeister FAQ for the OP by the weekend. I've got mobile friendly and a full sheet here so I guess use whichever looks better in the OP.

Also for the OP link to view the full Best AV document.

29836229170_2fda868b0f_o.jpg

29836229440_97a3d8646b_o.jpg

Dineren

Banned
There really isn't going to be a way to improve a rf signal all that much really since the source image quality is very low. The only way would be to mod composite video output on your Atari but you could try plugging in the rf directly to your TV and see how it looks although it will most likely look pretty bad.

Thanks, I thought that would be the case. I'm going to be increasing the RAM in it to 64k so maybe I'll take a look at the video mod and see how involved it is or maybe I'll get lucky and it will look okay as is.

me0wish

Just received my LG 34UC88, the hype is real. Forget g-sync, forget VR and 4k, Ultra wide blows everything away.

purdobol

Maybe this tv has svm filter? Although I'm not sure it would produce such an artifact tbh. But what the hell it's worth a try. Look for velocity modulation setting in the service menu and turn it off if it's there.

RiZ III

So I finally managed to get a hold of a Sony Trinitron tv. I don't know exactly which model it is, but it is flat screen and has component inputs. Picked it up for $10. I then ordered an scart to rgb converter and hooked up the Genesis. The results? Absolutely beautiful. I've never seen some of these games look so good. Sunset Riders in particular looks amazing. I took some crappy pictures with my iphone comparing AV to the Scart image quality.

Scart to Component
aGKpGDJ.jpg

Streets of Rage 2 with Scart
0jL0WYF.jpg

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good video switcher? I'm starting to run a little low on inputs!

I use the Bandridge automatic switch, which works flawlessly for me. Others have had complaints. The gscartw is (in my opinion) outrageously priced, but people seem to love it.

I also have a Shinybow SB-3715: 1x4 SCART Distribution amplifier. I use it to display to my PVMs and my scaler simultaneously, but It would certainly work as an effective switch, too.

I've owned a cheap manual Hama switch which was very effective, as well.

Overall, I'd recommend the Bandridge in either manual or auto-switch flavors. It was about 40 bucks and shoulders the most of the work in my setup with absolutely no signal loss.

Teknoman

So I order a Startech USB 3.0 4 slot PCI-E card for the capture device. Get the box from amazon, open it and its a totally different product inside the startech box (but has the correct driver disc) >_>

To be fair, it was a fufilled by Amazon purchase, but how does that even happen? It was some Xlinkx Spartan card with two ethernet ports and strange screws. Never had anything that strange happen with online orders.

Mega

Banned
shin, I'll post the table soon. edit: tables are up. They're in the second post along with the original mini table... OP is maxed out!

Just received my LG 34UC88, the hype is real. Forget g-sync, forget VR and 4k, Ultra wide blows everything away.

LED = pass. OLED or bust! I saw the new 4K LEDs and I'm not very impressed. OLEDs next to them on the other hand looked stunning. I'm not willing to give up the self-lit phosphors or pixels of CRT and plasma. Also the new OLEDs have nonexistent ghosting. I'm praying for next year's or 2018's models to have sub-20ms lag with HDR and 4K enabled
and sub $2K pricetag
and I'm ready to jump in.

Well I finally manned up and got a new harddrive for my PS2. Will be trying out some various 240p patches over the coming weeks, assuming i don't get distracted by one of the millions of things I find myself investing time in to.

Any particular requests? I don't have everything but if there's a game that people are particularly interested to see I can try it out. Think I'll be doing Mushihimesama first, regardless.

Thanks Mega! I actually might have the first draft of the framemeister FAQ ready tomorrow for people to look over and let me know if anything needs to be added.

Well I finally manned up and got a new harddrive for my PS2. Will be trying out some various 240p patches over the coming weeks, assuming i don't get distracted by one of the millions of things I find myself investing time in to.

Any particular requests? I don't have everything but if there's a game that people are particularly interested to see I can try it out. Think I'll be doing Mushihimesama first, regardless.

Do any PS2 titles out put 240p natively? Are the 240p patches hard to do?

Timu

Do any PS2 titles out put 240p natively?
Here's a list:

Art of Fighting Anthology - (US, JP, EU)
City Crisis - (US, JP, EU)
Disgaea - (US, JP, EU)
Disney's Stitch - Experiment 626 - (US, JP, EU)
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou (in TATE mode only) - (JP)
Espgaluda (in TATE mode only) - (JP)
Fatal Fury: Battle Archives Volume 1 - (US, JP, EU)
Fatal Fury: Battle Archives Volume 2 - (US, JP)
Fu'un Super Combo - (JP)
Gradius III - (US, JP, EU)
Gunbird Special Edition - (JP, EU)
Gunvari Collection + Time Crisis - (JP)
ICO - (US, JP, EU)
The King of Fighters 2000 - (US, JP, EU)
La Pucelle Tactics - (US, JP, EU)
Makai Kingdom - (US, JP, EU)
Mega Man X Collection - (US)
Oretachi Geasen Zoku Sono 8: Yi Er Kung Fu - (JP)
Phantom Brave - (US, JP, EU)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 20 Space Harrier II Collection - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 21 SDI & Quartet - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 23 Sega Memorial Selection (not confirmed) - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 25 Gunstar Treasure Box - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 28: Tetris Collection - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 29 Monsterworld Collection - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 30 Galaxy Force II - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 32 Phantasy Star Complete Collection - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 33 Fantasy Zone Complete Collection - (JP)
Shadow of Destiny - (US, JP, EU)
The Shooting - Double Shienryu (in TATE mode only) - (JP)
Sky Gunner (Uniform Processing Mode) - (US, JP)
Tekken 1 (via Tekken 5) - (US, JP, EU)
Tekken 2 (via Tekken 5) - (US, JP, EU)
World Heroes Anthology - (US, JP, EU)

So I finally managed to get a hold of a Sony Trinitron tv. I don't know exactly which model it is, but it is flat screen and has component inputs. Picked it up for $10. I then ordered an scart to rgb converter and hooked up the Genesis. The results? Absolutely beautiful. I've never seen some of these games look so good. Sunset Riders in particular looks amazing. I took some crappy pictures with my iphone comparing AV to the Scart image quality.
Photo and model number of your TV and gear please?

Should be on the rear of the TV?

That's good to know. I'm planning on getting the mod board to make the Network adapter work with a SATA drive, and rip all my PS2 games to a hdd for it.

I really need to get a tv stand, or a wall hanging unit that will let me rotate my TV to TATE mode. I found a few but they are EXPENSIVE.

That's good to know. I'm planning on getting the mod board to make the Network adapter work with a SATA drive, and rip all my PS2 games to a hdd for it.

I really need to get a tv stand, or a wall hanging unit that will let me rotate my TV to TATE mode. I found a few but they are EXPENSIVE.

Where are you looking?

I swear Best Buy makes all their money on TV wall mounts these days. They must make $0 on actual TV sales.

Here's a list:

Art of Fighting Anthology - (US, JP, EU)
City Crisis - (US, JP, EU)
Disgaea - (US, JP, EU)
Disney's Stitch - Experiment 626 - (US, JP, EU)
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou (in TATE mode only) - (JP)
Espgaluda (in TATE mode only) - (JP)
Fatal Fury: Battle Archives Volume 1 - (US, JP, EU)
Fatal Fury: Battle Archives Volume 2 - (US, JP)
Fu'un Super Combo - (JP)
Gradius III - (US, JP, EU)
Gunbird Special Edition - (JP, EU)
Gunvari Collection + Time Crisis - (JP)
ICO - (US, JP, EU)
The King of Fighters 2000 - (US, JP, EU)
La Pucelle Tactics - (US, JP, EU)
Makai Kingdom - (US, JP, EU)
Mega Man X Collection - (US)
Oretachi Geasen Zoku Sono 8: Yi Er Kung Fu - (JP)
Phantom Brave - (US, JP, EU)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 20 Space Harrier II Collection - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 21 SDI & Quartet - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 23 Sega Memorial Selection (not confirmed) - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 25 Gunstar Treasure Box - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 28: Tetris Collection - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 29 Monsterworld Collection - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 30 Galaxy Force II - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 32 Phantasy Star Complete Collection - (JP)
Sega AGES 2500 Series Vol. 33 Fantasy Zone Complete Collection - (JP)
Shadow of Destiny - (US, JP, EU)
The Shooting - Double Shienryu (in TATE mode only) - (JP)
Sky Gunner (Uniform Processing Mode) - (US, JP)
Tekken 1 (via Tekken 5) - (US, JP, EU)
Tekken 2 (via Tekken 5) - (US, JP, EU)
World Heroes Anthology - (US, JP, EU)

yep, i grabbed most of the us 240p titles

RedSwirl

Like was said above, you just need a D-terminal to RCA female adapter for YPbPr component input to the framemeister. Depending on your TV, 480p signals might look better just directly plugged directly into your TV as the framemeister makes them look a little soft.

I just have everything going through the framemeister for convenience, though.

The scanline filter probably improves things anyway. I think I tried to play Final Fantasy XII on an HDTV once and couldn't stand how it looked. Honestly I can't even stand how Gears 3 looks on my 1080p screen.

BTails

Megaman X Collection is my favourite way to play the MMX SNES games, as they run in native 240p, and don't have any of the sprite flicker/slowdown that the originals do.

Just boot up the first game and play through the opening sequence. When you take out one of the big Bee like ships and it crashes amid a ton of explosions, the game is buttery smooth, unlike the slowdown on the SNES.

okay got Meta Slug Anthology all moved over to my HDD and running via OPL, so I'm set up. Guess I'll do Mushihimesama this weekend since I got school stuff to wrap up this week.

So I just bought 3x PVM 14" for a really good price. For me and local friends.

Now to figure out how the hell I'm going to get them home - from one side of the country to the other. 😂

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ico is such a surprising game to be in 240p... but I guess it was in development on the PS1.

Timu

Megaman X Collection is my favourite way to play the MMX SNES games, as they run in native 240p, and don't have any of the sprite flicker/slowdown that the originals do.

Just boot up the first game and play through the opening sequence. When you take out one of the big Bee like ships and it crashes amid a ton of explosions, the game is buttery smooth, unlike the slowdown on the SNES.
Yeah I loved playing them on that collection as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom