• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. Wii U, new Mario and Mario Kart @ E3 this year

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I was somewhat surprised to hear Mario would be announced, but it has been 7 years since the last good Mario game came out, after all.

Jethro

If both EAD Tokyo teams are focused on Mario I think a release 2013 is possible. Two years with the full man power. Bringt it on.

Chulonyc

Banned
Its good for ppl that like to play the same type of games every year or on a different console, however this Nintendo direct shows the reason i havent bought a Wiiu yet. Their motto seems to be Rehash, rinse and repeat. Ppl talk about Nintendo innovating but when it comes to software they are very stagnant and bringing nothing new to the table and its sad.

EMT0

Banned
I've probably been long beaten to this, but if the following the E3 line-up from Nintendo, it'll be the best one they've ever had, bar none:

Mario U
Smash Bros 4
Mario Kart U
Retro's new game
Remastered Mother series in 3D for the Wii U(coming to NA, dammit)

And for added shits and giggles, something entirely out of left field, because that's apparently Nintendo's new style: Resident Evil 2 Wii U exclusive

DaBoss

Its good for ppl that like to play the same type of games every year or on a different console, however this Nintendo direct shows the reason i havent bought a Wiiu yet. Their motto seems to be Rehash, rinse and repeat. Ppl talk about Nintendo innovating but when it comes to software they are very stagnant and bringing nothing new to the table and its sad.

Is Wonderful 101 not new? What about the new Monolith Soft game? And Bayonetta 2 something they rehashed? Can you elaborate on what they rehash?

A.E Suggs

Uh huh! Sounds like your just trying to convince yourself not to buy one.

Edit: Guess I should take it easy on him, he's only 3 post in.

Jackano

So good surprise for Mario U, but I think it will end up to be a S1 2014 release.

Mario Kart U was a given, I was even waiting for a trailer. Sure Nintendo always send Mario to do the job, and Mario Kart is still their best asset. The thing worked so well for the 3DS, and I'm not talking about the DS and the Wii...

But I see a problem here:
E3 needs surprises. We know about 3 great games, hell 4 with TWW HD, so Retro's game will better be kept as a complete surprise until E3 or dispointment will necessary be here after Nintendo's media briefing.

And for SmaBro, I fear this will be too soon. We will probably see a trailer made for fan service, but nothing really informative until E3 2014 and/or dojo re-opening.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If both EAD Tokyo teams are focused on Mario I think a release 2013 is possible. Two years with the full man power. Bringt it on.

The other is probably making a 3DS game. Tokyo has been hiring too many planners for on top of the Galaxy games to just make one game at a time. You are talking about a major R&D office in Tokyo.. the most populated Japan city.

Also Wii Sports U. E3 blow out. This Fall.

Ezalc

I've probably been long beaten to this, but if the following the E3 line-up from Nintendo, it'll be the best one they've ever had, bar none:

Mario U
Smash Bros 4
Mario Kart U
Retro's new game
Remastered Mother series in 3D for the Wii U(coming to NA, dammit)

And for added shits and giggles, something entirely out of left field, because that's apparently Nintendo's new style: Resident Evil 2 Wii U exclusive

Because that delusion doesn't count as something that would be completely out of left field?

Boerseun

Banned
Two more instant purchases for Wii U.

With Smash Bros. being a collaboration with Namco, I wonder if they won't share work on Mario Kart with a non-Nintendo studio in order to shake things up a bit. (I'm well aware of Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 & 2. Those games were however not meant for home consumption.)

Lets see:

Pikmin 3 (if it's not released by May)
Wii U Party
Yoshi's Epic Yarn
X
Legend of Zelda; Wind Waker HD
Retro's inevitable project (Metroid Prime 4)
Super Mario Wii U
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros 4.

Yep, I'd say that is a pretty good lineup, which doesn't even take into consideration the 3DS.

Awesome. I can't wait to see Smash Bros., and whatever EAD Tokyo's next Mario game is. I hope we also get to see a new Donkey Kong Country game at E3. It's been long enough since Returns.

?oe?oe

These games being on Wii didn't hurt them from being awesome games when compared to 360/PS3, so I don't see the problem.

They have a game per console and it's too much? How many sequels did we see in one generation on other consoles? Assassin's Creed? Halo?

farnham

Banned
i can kinda forgive nintendo for all the money wasting decisions if they get out wii fit u, wii party u and wii sports u this year (also wii music u next year)

Coolwhip

Banned
I want a new Wave Race AND F-Zero !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nintendo.. remember those games?!!

For some reason I think we will get them all on the Wii U. The platform is competent unlike the Wii and Nintendo can't keep any cards to their chest this time around.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Put me down for Mario Kart in Nov-Dec 2013, Wind Waker in spring of 2014 and Mario 3D in summer of 2014 with Zelda U bringing up the looooooooong rear in 2016.

Mark it, write it down, tell your mother.

Put me down for Mario Kart in Nov-Dec 2013, Wind Waker in spring of 2014 and Mario 3D in summer of 2014 with Zelda U bringing up the looooooooong rear in 2016.

I think your way off. Wind Waker in the fall of 2013. Mario Kart will be March 2014.
Mario is hard to predict. I'm not sure if it will be another Super Mario 3D Land situation and make it out this winter but if not I expect it late fall 2014.

jeremy1456

Wind waker and Mario Kart are this year. An HD remake should not and will not take very long.

Mario 3D next summer - 2014. HD Zelda will be in 2015, as will X.

jeremy1456

I think your way off. Wind Waker in the fall of 2013. Mario Kart will be March 2014.
Mario is hard to predict. I'm not sure if it will be another Super Mario 3D Land situation and make it out this winter but if not I expect it late fall 2014.

Mario Kart is generally released the year it debuts.

Think back to Mario Kart 7 and Wii versions.

jono95

I really wish they gave us a *tiny* bit of info on the new 3D Mario.
I mean, I think we all new it was in development.

JavyOO7

I don't want them to rush Mario U. EAD Tokyo or which ever Nintendo studio is making it should take its sweet time making it. I want it to be perfect!

Strike

Expected. Hopefully the Wii U is doomed threads will let up at least for a little while. It was the same situation with the 3DS in its first year.

Medalion

Banned
Not surprised, they really gotta fight off the next-gen reveals from their competitors

Depending what they show, they may have enough steam to pull some attention away

Anastasia

I'm really curious to see how the new Smash Bros. game is coming together. I haven't purchased a Wii U yet, but that alone might be enough. Expected news, but it's good to have a confirmation nonetheless.

Roo

I'm really curious to see how the new Smash Bros. game is coming together. I haven't purchased a Wii U yet, but that alone might be enough. Expected news, but it's good to have a confirmation nonetheless.

If there's something Namco does right.. is a good fighting and well balanced game.
I think almost the whole Tekken team is on board so I'm confident Smash Bros 4 will be a great game

BD1

Banned
Nintendo's E3 should be pretty well loaded this year (and they'll need it this year). We can reasonably expect the following shown:

Smash Bros 4
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Wii U
Zelda Wind Waker Reborn
Wii Sports U
Retro's Game

Plus the odd ball third party exclusive. That's a pretty stacked 1st party lineup.

Anth0ny

On one hand, I can see them getting Smash 4 out possibly by the end of 2014 with the help of Namco Bandai...

...on the other, they are working on two games at the same time. I could see Sakurai coming out at E3 saying "Please understand that we are working on two Smash Bros. games at the same time. This is a huge undertaking, and I appreciate your patience. Please just wait a little bit longer."

I wonder if they intend to put out the 3DS and Wii U game at the same time. Honestly, Wii U needs Smash far more than 3DS does right now.

2014 would be fantastic, but I'm gonna say March 2015.

BowieZ

Banned
Why are people acting like WIND WAKER HD isn't going to make 2013, when it was announced as such? We predicting delays now?

Pretty sure it'll be:

October: Wind Waker HD
November: Mario Kart U
June 2014: Mario Universe
Oct 2014: Toy Yoshi
Nov 2014: Smash Bros 4
TBD 2015: Zelda

fisheyes

Wind Waker will obviously be this year - if they can't manage a HD port by the end of the year Nintendo have truly failed as developers. Mario Kart and Yoshi will also be this year for sure, the WiiU needs Mario Kart and Yoshi looks to be using content from Kirby and shouldn't take long. Plus I can see Nintendo running a major 2D platformer each year, with DK the year after. Wii Sports U should also be late this year.

3D Mario will probably aim for late this year but be delayed into 2014, and I suspect Retro's game could follow a similar fate. Smash will be a holiday '14 prospect, as will X.

Top Bottom