• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poyunch

After watching the PAX panel vid today l really, really wish Alex Navarro was not a part of Giant Bomb.

Yeah not a fan of Alex but then I like Patrick and others don't. You just got to deal with it and at least be happy that he's not in any video or audio content.
I totally would have been fine if GB had Rorie instead of Alex.

This post is kind of harsh. :x I'm sorry Alex.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah not a fan of Alex but then I like Patrick and others don't. You just got to deal with it and at least be happy that he's not in any video or audio content.

I really don't get the hate about Alex. He's not my favorite on the team but I don't really have any problems with him.

And I'd take him over Rorie any day. Rorie is a 30 something years old dude who thinks he's still in college. The guy was drunk for most of the live content on Screened. No wonder they fired him when they bought the site.

JeTmAn81

Maybe I should amend my desire to just not ever seeing him on a live panel again. His personality is grating to the extreme and does not gel with the other members of the Bomb squad at all. I don't even remember having a big problem with him on the Bombcast but it just seems like his presence in general adds so little and detracts so much.

MrDaravon

I like Alex, but I literally couldn't get 10 minutes into the Live Panel with his laugh. Then completely unrelated, I finally got around to checking out the This Year recap for the Top 40 Hotspot (which I have never listened to) and it started happening again immediately. Good fucking lord he needs to tone that down. In general if he would just fucking relax he'd be fine.

Poyunch

I really don't get the hate about Alex. He's not my favorite on the team but I don't really have any problems with him.

And I'd take him over Rorie any day. Rorie is a 30 something years old dude who thinks he's still in college. The guy was drunk for most of the live content on Screened. No wonder they fired him when they bought the site.

JeTmAn81 kind of describes how I feel about him perfectly. I mean just at the beginning of the panel he awkwardly laughs out loud cutting off Ryan's train of thought and the entire flow of the panel. He just doesn't mesh well.

MedHead

Alex reminds me of myself a little, when I was younger. I have always had a confidence problem, and I still often think that nobody would be interested in what I have to say. To counteract this supposed lack of worth, when I was younger I tended to try to be the loudest person in the conversation. I thought by being the most heard, I would be the most memorable--but in a good way. What ended up happening most often was that I was the most annoying in the group, and would only reinforce my fears of being ignored.

I think if Alex were to calm down and restrain himself to respond only when he thinks his point is definitely worthwhile, he would find himself more popular among the group and the internet. In groups, I tend to run everything I feel like saying through a mental filter, to see if I think anyone would get my joke, or understand my reference, and decide if I need to speak up. If I decide my comment isn't going to further the conversation, I don't speak up. I've been told that I'm rather quiet because of that filter; but the benefit of keeping quiet is that, when I do speak, people are more willing to listen.

dalVlatko

I was annoyed by Alex for at the beginning of the panel, but then I just started feeling bad for him because he kept on making jokes and getting absolutely no reaction from anyone.

I think if Alex were to calm down and restrain himself to respond only when he thinks his point is definitely worthwhile, he would find himself more popular among the group and the internet. In groups, I tend to run everything I feel like saying through a mental filter, to see if I think anyone would get my joke, or understand my reference, and decide if I need to speak up. If I decide my comment isn't going to further the conversation, I don't speak up. I've been told that I'm rather quiet because of that filter; but the benefit of keeping quiet is that, when I do speak, people are more willing to listen.

He's been close to these guys for years and years now. The only negative reaction he seems to get is from strangers on the internet, and frankly he shouldn't give a fuck about that.

It seems strange that fans of a personality-driven website can't be critical of any personality involved with it.

There's nothing wrong with that. I've certainly been critical of the guys in the past myself. Thing is, "Alex should be fired" or "Patrick ruined this podcast" aren't really critiques.

JeTmAn81

I don't think anyone has said they wanted Alex fired though. Everyone's just letting out some steam.
I implied that, and it was over the line. He doesn't deserve to lose his job over this. I just can't stand it when people laugh so hard at their own jokes.
If what you said is genuinely funny, the people around you will validate that fact.

Guys, I think I'm in manlove with Drew. The guy inspired me to buy one of these:
saitek-x52-pro.jpg

AND one of these:
TIR5.jpg

And you know what? They're fucking RAD. I've never been happier with the ridiculous things I've exchanged money for in the past. The Saitek stick is so much better than all the cheap Logitech things I've used in the past, and TrackIR is just the best invention I've ever come across. You just plug the thing in and it goes, and it's perfectly calibrated to the way your head moves and the centrepoint is just sticky enough that you can snap back to look down your crosshairs immediately. I could never have imagined that controlling a videogame with my face would be so intuitive and fun. I've just been pumping dozens of hours into Rise of Flight and I could kiss Drew right on his beautiful face.

This should test my theory that Giantbomb will just kind of disintegrate without Drew. I get the impression, certainly from events like PAX and E3, that Drew is an unstoppable force, and is essentially the thing that makes everything function. Who else would've been dedicated enough to man the equipment for all twenty hours of podcasts last E3?

Mahonay

Banned
Just saw said video of Brad at Rock Band Night.

My god...Single greatest video ever.
I'm so happy someone caught it on video, even as bad as I feel for Brad. I was there while it was happening and my memory is kind of blurry from that night. Watching the video sober was a special experience.

I will say that night inspired me to think of a song to perform next year.

Just saw the panel video. And, while everyone calls him jaded, I really want to praise Jeff some. First off, he's a very funny man. Secondly, he's quick and sharp and always on his feet. Thirdly, he seems like a very genuine guy. The way he handled the guy asking for them to see that game was wonderful. He spoke honestly about his past experience with the game and ended it with a very nice, very understated way of saying with a smile "no, we're not going to waste our time with your game". It was a very nice move by Jeff. Sadly, I don't think the guy really got it, so he asked again and Jeff said they were leaving and wouldn't see it, and then another panel member acted like a sarcastic ass, like always. I really like how Jeff handled that question.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
If anyone ever asks me why i love Giant Bomb, i will point them to the i love mondays for this week. In which two white, middle aged guys who cover videogames talk about the upcoming week while carpooling to work with BONE THUGS softly playing in the background.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If anyone ever asks me why i love Giant Bomb, i will point them to the i love mondays for this week. In which two white, middle aged guys who cover videogames talk about the upcoming week while carpooling to work with BONE THUGS softly playing in the background.

Hah, I pretty much made this exact same comment on the video. It's just perfect.

Duffyside

Banned
I don't think anyone has said they wanted Alex fired though. Everyone's just letting out some steam.

I don't know, that's sort of lame, isn't it? "I don't like Alex and don't like listening to him and don't like his writing or anything he ever does... but I don't want him fired!"

Is it just because "fired" is such an ugly word? I admit it does feel sort of shitty to shit on someone like that, and I do try to avoid it or make it as non-shitty as possible when I do partake, but I hate being phony even more.

When I hear Alex I often cringe, and I don't even like to read what he writes I find it so grating. I don't wish him any misfortune, but I would enjoy the site more if he were to be replaced with, say, Shane Bettenhausen. Or Matt Rorie. Or Jeff Green. Or lots of people.

HenryHSH

This should test my theory that Giantbomb will just kind of disintegrate without Drew. I get the impression, certainly from events like PAX and E3, that Drew is an unstoppable force, and is essentially the thing that makes everything function. Who else would've been dedicated enough to man the equipment for all twenty hours of podcasts last E3?

Wait... Drew left?

Poyunch

I don't know, that's sort of lame, isn't it? "I don't like Alex and don't like listening to him and don't like his writing or anything he ever does... but I don't want him fired!"

Is it just because "fired" is such an ugly word? I admit it does feel sort of shitty to shit on someone like that, and I do try to avoid it or make it as non-shitty as possible when I do partake, but I hate being phony even more.

When I hear Alex I often cringe, and I don't even like to read what he writes I find it so grating. I don't wish him any misfortune, but I would enjoy the site more if he were to be replaced with, say, Shane Bettenhausen. Or Matt Rorie. Or Jeff Green. Or lots of people.

Well being fired is terrible in general and since this is all based on compatibility he shouldn't be fired for it. Some people like certain personalities and hate others. There are people out there who hate every one of the Bomb Crew in one way or the other.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What I don't get is how people can be such insensitive dicks on the internet sometimes.

Maybe that's my fault, and I should "man the fuck up" or something, but i'll probably never understand how some people instantly jump to dickish, inflammatory comments the second something happens that they don't like. Especially when real people are involved.

It's well known that the staff reads these boards a lot, and I can only imagine how bad it must feel to see anonymous people flame you constantly simply for being who you are. Claiming you should be fired because they don't like the way you laugh or talk. What the fuck.

I assume they have a pretty thick skin built up over the years, but still, it can't be a good feeling.
And with what Brad posted a while back, about sometimes being nervous to play games live because of the backlash that occurs the minute he screws up, that's a shitty position to be in.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
And with what Brad posted a while back, about sometimes being nervous to play games live because of the backlash that occurs the minute he screws up, that's a shitty position to be in.

your heart is in the right place, and I respect that, but insofar as this sentence is concerned: cry me a fucking river

Rufus

Patrick cuts right through the mix, yeah. They should have gear that lets them adjust the levels, right? I wish they used it.

He's been close to these guys for years and years now. The only negative reaction he seems to get is from strangers on the internet, and frankly he shouldn't give a fuck about that.
There is such a thing as being too courteous.

TheOddOne

From all the panels I've seen of Giantbomb, the latest one was a let down to be honest. The only redeeming things where Jeff and Ryan, those guys where on fire as always. The rest was kind of not there to some extent, felt weird and akward at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom