• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

gerg

TTP said:
Everybody's Sport!

I'd be all over this.

When I said "another Wii Sports" I was thinking more along the lines of another product of comparable impact to Wii Sports, rather than a copycat product which I don't think would have as much success at all.

Zoramon089 said:
Wouldn't that be found by simply keeping track of how long the motion was done for? I feel like that is done by simply integrating over the sampling time and using the gyro (in addition to relative accel values) to see the direction of the vector of movement

No because that would require a point of reference for it to compare the data to (the accellorometer data would only show a direction of movement and then default to zero again as soon as that motion is detected)

It can work if you point it at the sensor bar (as it can compare the accellorometer movement data with the sensor bar's position as detected by the IR camera) but that is of course limited by the fact that the remote would have to remain pointed at the sensor bar.

Wiimote + motionplus is just as responsive as the Arc; the only difference is the absolute positioning, which isn't really as big a deal as you might think for most applications. Things like sword fighting or golfing or most motions will end up being 90% the same for most cases between the two devices (Though games like Samba de Amigo will work much better with the Arc controller than the Wiimote + thanks to it's height sensing) Especially since most games will need to limit the use of height sensing since players may be of different heights (thus giving very tall or very short players an advantage in some cases)

Basically the differences are as such.

Wiimote + motionplus: 1-1 orientation and absolute pointing

Arc: 1-1 orientation and absolute position tracking (Sonychuck will probably also have a gyroscope, making it much more accurate than the Wiimote's nunchuck)

It remains to be seen if the Arc setup is capable of absolute pointing, since the gameplay videos seem to imply a setup that relies entirely on orientation (like those gyroscopic mice you get on PCs) which wouldn't come close to the accuracy of the Wiimote's pointer.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Man said:
We need a RTS that's what. And Killzone 3.
I'm not a big RTS guy but I can easily see the arc as a good fit for that genre. Selecting units and moving around the map would be much more intuitive and fluid rather than using a traditional controller imo.

spwolf

mr_nothin said:
So did HD and 1080p...

As expected, the retailer began selling a bundle of Panasonic 3D gear for a combined price of $2,899.99. The bundle includes Panasonic's VIERA VT20, a 50-inch 3D plasma TV normally priced at $2,499.95, coupled with a Panasonic BDT300 3D Blu-ray Disc player, sold separately for $399.95. The bundle also includes one pair of 3D glasses, normally sold for $149.95.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361167,00.asp

2.9k for whole package is not that much money at all... LED 1080p TV's were same price when they were just introduced.

and dont think these are cheap plasmas ;-)

The Panasonic VT20 range offers 3D TV, 600Hz Sub-Field Drive technology, high, speed drive technology and in order to reduce the afterglow time Panasonic have used a new phosphur. There are two pairs of 3D eyewear included with the V20 and is available in 50 inch and 65 inch models.

A native contrast ratio of 5,000,000:1 has been applied across the entire range and they are all THX certified along with having Freeview HD and Freeview HD tuners. They are also DLNA certified and Viera Cast.

gerg said:
When I said "another Wii Sports" I was thinking more along the lines of another product of comparable impact to Wii Sports, rather than a copycat product which I don't think would have as much success at all.

I'd still like for them to work on something like that. CH are really good at making sports games that are really accessible but still have quite a bit of depth. This would also have online play and leaderboards would should add to its appeal.

Elios83

SolidSnakex said:
Wouldn't be too surprised if Clap Hanz is working on that.

I think that too, Clap Hanz must be working on the ARC equivalent of Wii Sports. They have been silent for more than a while on the PS3 front.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
I'd still like for them to work on something like that. CH are really good at making sports games that are really accessible but still have quite a bit of depth. This would also have online play and leaderboards would should add to its appeal.

And HD graphics :p

Tom Penny

gerg said:
The tech is really interesting and impressive. Now all Sony needs is another Wii Sports.

99.9% chance it's in the works. They would have to be out of their mind no to. Easy sales for potentional Wii owners that own PS3's. That should be part of a potential starter kit bundle. 2 controlers the eye and "PS3 sports" for x amoutn of dollars. Money in the bank.

good to see this thread is alive and well...but did one of the mods change the thread title?

The "truly outrageous" was not there originally and was not added by me.

gerg

SolidSnakex said:
I'd still like for them to work on something like that. CH are really good at making sports games that are really accessible but still have quite a bit of depth.

For sure.

I'm just really curious as to what Sony has up its sleeve, and how it intends to bridge the gap between launching a device focused towards the expanded audience on a machine focused entirely away from it, if it chooses to do so. In any case, we should only have to wait a few hours to have a rough conception of its intention. It's a shame I'm going to be asleep when the fireworks go off, though.

This would also have online play and leaderboards would should add to its appeal.

To whom?

To the current people who are already going to buy a PS3? Sure.
To the people not buying PS3s (and potentially gravitating towards the Wii) and who have shown a disregard for that type of functionality? Probably not.

Tom Penny said:
99.9% chance it's in the works. They would have to be out of their mind no to. Easy sales for potentional Wii owners that own PS3's. That should be part of a potential starter kit bundle. 2 controlers the eye and "PS3 sports" for x amoutn of dollars. Money in the bank.

I think you underestimate the difficulty in launching a competitor to Wii Sports.

durendal

Motion+ is capable of the same tracking as ARC, using gyroscopes, but the problem with Motion+ is that there can be drift over time. This gets worse with very fast or very slow movements. You can auto-calibrate using the sensor bar, but the Wii remote has to point towards it at some point. With ARC, the camera is always viewing the remote, so it's always compensating for inaccurate gyroscope data.

Technically, ARC and Motion+ are different, but it remains to be seen if things will differ greatly in gameplay situations. By this I mean, will swords in Zelda Wii be meaningfully different from lightsabers in an ARC Star Wars game. So long as good games are made for both platforms, who cares? I'm looking forward to the motion control red ocean.

Man

Regarding a potential XMB pictochat: Whatever color you choose, the sphere needs to alter itself to that. Virtual brush!

Majine

Banned
Man said:
Regarding a potential XMB pictochat: Whatever color you choose, the sphere needs to alter itself to that. Virtual brush!
You can choose whatever color you want for the sphere? Fabulous.

Man

Majine said:
You can choose whatever color you want for the sphere? Fabulous.
It accepts RGB values from what I've gathered from interviews so the color spectre should be in the thousands (though 'only' from the bright spectre I assume seeing as it's a source of light and not a pixel).

Tom Penny

gerg said:
I think you underestimate the difficulty in launching a competitor to Wii Sports.

Well I know for a fact a Wii sports knock off will push far more units then just implementing motion controls into existing games. In the end. If they never bundle with the console...it's not going to do well. Period. It becomes an add on.

The idea someone posted a few pages ago about a 3D ping-pong game with the table half out of the TV is the best implementation for 3D i've read yet. I'd be so down for that.

And the prices of 3D TV's can only come down, and content go up.

kuYuri

Mudkips said:
Can't wait to see people wielding their own dicks as swords.

2j1x8xv.jpg

Majine

Banned
Please god tell me there will be an archery game for this. My favorite sport in WSR, and I wouldn't mind getting trophies on it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Majine said:
Please god tell me there will be an archery game for this. My favorite sport in WSR, and I wouldn't mind getting trophies on it.
After their last tech demo, no doubt in my mind.

Baki

gerg said:

I see where you're coming from. But why have one killer app. Make as many as you can(including tried and tested genres), and what sticks, sticks. :lol

Bad_Boy said:
killzone liberation 2 on ps3, usable with the ARC. do it sony.

Now that would be something I could get behind. I absolutely loved KZ:L.

Although they'd have to make the game easier this time around. Especially for a wider waggle-oriented audience. Or at least make the game's difficulty ramp less steep.

That wouldn't be a bad thing though. KZ:L ramped up the difficulty very quickly on players. Of all my friends, I'm the only person I know who finished it. Most people I evangelized the game to thought it was way too tough.

Really though, the killer app for me is, was, and always shall be...APE ESCAPE PS3.

thcsquad

cacildo said:
Let me get this straight: now everybody loves motion control?

There's plenty of people who hate motion control and all of its possible incarnations, but why would you expect them to be anywhere near this thread?

Top Bottom