• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
news5ckwdu.png

02.07.12- Creation Kit Released!
01.26.12- Patch 1.4 out on Steam.
01.23.12- Beta Patch up for users with Steam beta option enabled.
01.19.12- Patch 1.4 will feature implementation of the launcher in prep for the CK.

If you have any performance or hardware related issues, consult the Skyrim PC performance thread as the threads are now split.

If you find any good mods, PM me. I would prefer these mods be tested if possible.
This section is subject to heavy changes depending on the direction the creation kit takes mods. Always read comments/feedback to ensure you will not have issues. Use at your own risk!
GETTING STARTED
Nexus Mod Manager- It's a tossup but this one is the best one right now. Support is also better.

Mod Organizer
1. Copy the MO folder to anywhere on your computer. Copying it to your Skyrim directory might help avoid possible issues.
2. Create a profile. You can name it anything.
3. Go into Settings and set Load to Proxy DLL.
4. There are two ways to load mods:
A) Download a mod from Skyrim Nexus and then click Install Mod. Select the zip file and MO should do the rest. Just make sure to check that the hierarchy is ok. See step B for more info.
B) Download a mod from Skyrim Nexus and create a folder for it in ModOrganizer > mods. Copy the mod folder into the folder you have created. The directory should look something like ModOrganizer > mods > Enhanced Water > Textures > Effects/water.
MO also lets you edit the ini files without affecting the main Skyrim files. Just click Edit ini and do as you wish.

ENB mods/fixes for ESV Skyrim.*
*When using ENB config files and want to go back, check SkyrimPrefs.ini- sD3DDevice="AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series" (My GPU) in [Display]. If launcher continuously pings your HW configuration, check sD3DDevice and delete "ENB". Change back.

ENB Profiles
Confidence Man's ENB profile

Skyrim Script Dragon
SKSE Script Extender
The Skyrim Script Extender, or SKSE for short, is a modder's resource that expands the scripting capabilities of Skyrim. It does so without modifying the executable files on disk, so there are no permanent side effects

ck011qryy.jpg

Anything released from the workshop will now have a CK next to it.

Skyrim Steam Workshop Main Page

Best Mod Practices and Troubleshooting

TUTORIALS by Bethesda
Creation Kit Tutorial Series - Episode 1: Introduction to the Kit
Creation Kit Tutorial Series - Episode 2: Basic Layout
Creation Kit Tutorial Series - Episode 3: Basic Layout II

NEW FEATURES

Skyrim launcher support for Steam Workshop (PC). More as info becomes availble.

This section is a WIP as information is scarce. This will be the showcase post once it's released. It's bare because it can be for now :)

scy

I don't know if I have it in me to Skyrim again with mods. It may destroy me to get sucked in again.

But, still, I welcome it with open arms.

I use this one. Best one yet in my eyes.
Thanks for taking the time to reply Liquid.

Im reading the mod page now. So it just a text document with the key mappings. How does run work? A press on the thumbstick and the character keeps running until you let go the stick?

And do you lose the dpad to navigate menus? If that's the case then this mod is not for me, i like using the dpad for the menus too much.

LiquidMetal14

Thanks for taking the time to reply Liquid.

Im reading the mod page now. So it just a text document with the key mappings. How does run work? A press on the thumbstick and the character keeps running until you let go the stick?

And do you lose the dpad to navigate menus? If that's the case then this mod is not for me, i like using the dpad for the menus too much.

No, you can still use the menus. And yes, I should have pointed out it is a simple edit in the ini/controller config. Going from vanilla to that was a simple transition. The only hard part was choosing which hotkeys I wanted.

I really recommend the better roads one too. Very nice and subtle.

Morokh

If I enable this mod. Will it change my savegame? And will it cause problems if I disable it?

The only way it may change your savegame is by adding the swords in your game, but they won't overwrite anything since they don't replace anything in the game.
If you remove the mod, you will be given a prompt saying that content is missing when loading a save that used it, but you can load it anyway, and the only change will be that you will be missing all the swords from the mod.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I can't figure out how to assign weapons to the left and right d-pad. Holding either button down does nothing except scroll through the menus.

Sober

Skyboost doesn't supposedly break scripting like TESAL does, does it? I'm still sorta in the first couple hours of the game / kinda-sorta-wanna do the main quest occasionally so does either of those break scripting anymore?

LiquidMetal14

I can't figure out how to assign weapons to the left and right d-pad. Holding either button down does nothing except scroll through the menus.
I know it sounds odd but I set my keys with the kb and mouse. So I used the correstponding keys and set them like healing and stuff 1-4 and 2 magic and 2 weps 4-8. As it says LB+dpad are the latter for and regular d pad are the former

You can do this with the controller too but I noticed I had the same issue as you so I just did mine with the kb/m and then switched it back to pad.

LiquidMetal14

I have some better ideas and will expand on the mods themselves now that I have the room to work with so look for some more additions as I cull them. As with anything else mod related, please PM me or just post it in this mod thread. We still have the performance thread for general ini questions and benchmarks if need be. They both sort of go hand in hand so I suspect we will have many of the same types of question pop up here due to the fact that many mods are performance related :p

Karak

Skyboost doesn't supposedly break scripting like TESAL does, does it? I'm still sorta in the first couple hours of the game / kinda-sorta-wanna do the main quest occasionally so does either of those break scripting anymore?

No I have been using it for many hours of gametime and have not found a single broken quest or issues with it. Really is just a marvel.

However, strangely enough I have to stay away from the Mod manager, it has messed up my game 3 times now. I am sadly one of the rare peeps that it seems to cause issues versus just installing manually.

I am also hoping ENB turns out well. Right now its a mess. Haven't seen a single pic or heard of anyone getting it running and working on all aspects of the game without issues in other areas, menus versus game, dungeons versus outdoors and so forth. I hope they fix it. Some of the pics in the other thread are eye r*pingly bad with ENB right now.

I welcome myself to my new home.

Should I bring my big list across from the other thread Liquid? Might be good to have it on the first page as well?

I see that you've got a lot of them listed here, but I find that the light description can help :)

LiquidMetal14

I welcome myself to my new home.

Should I bring my big list across from the other thread Liquid? Might be good to have it on the first page as well?

I see that you've got a lot of them listed here, but I find that the light description can help :)

Yes. I had less room to work with back then so it's something I may consider. Like brief descriptions. I'm all for your round-up and thanked you for it in the last thread in-case you missed it. This one too as you will be contributing to this one as well.

Karak

Liquid are there any needs for warning on mods and such? Many of the ones from the lists in the other threads cause specific issues and breaks for specific people if particular hardware or software are on a system or it is set up a certain way. Do you want to know that so you can put warnings where you list the mods or at least if we notice something in the comments on Nexus and so forth?
Or is it just a "take your life into your own hands" kind of thing?
Also wasn't there a realistic lighting mod recently?

Some ideas:
Perhaps alphabetize the lists?

And thanks for cleaning it up and making a different thread!

LiquidMetal14

Liquid are there any needs for warning on mods and such? Many of the ones from the lists in the other threads cause specific issues and breaks for specific people if particular hardware or software are on a system or it is set up a certain way. Do you want to know that so you can put warnings where you list the mods?

Or is it just a "take your life into your own hands" kind of thing?

And thanks for cleaning it up and making a different thread!

I put the use at your own risk disclaimer to warn. I will also add a read the mod link and some of the feedback. I know none of the mods have given me issue or the ones that have issues, I've stayed away from due to the feedback from the comments and fellow gaffers. Will amend.

I used the custom ini creator. I have great fps because of it with skyboost but movement indoors seems to get really choppy or juttery. Fraps tells me fps is still at 60. Can anyone tell me what could be the cause?

LiquidMetal14

I used the custom ini creator. I have great fps because of it with skyboost but movement indoors seems to get really choppy or juttery. Fraps tells me fps is still at 60. Can anyone tell me what could be the cause?

Are you messing with uGrinds in any way?

Is it possible, by deleting the TESVAL files to run skyboost but also use SKSE for other mods?

TESVAL is a simple delete. As long as you continue to use the launcher you will gain the benefits though. And the game still launches through Steam so it's a win-win.

Karak

I put the use at your own risk disclaimer to warn. I will also add a read the mod link and some of the feedback. I know none of the mods have given me issue or the ones that have issues, I've stayed away from due to the feedback from the comments and fellow gaffers. Will amend.

Sounds good sir. Awesome work.
I too have stayed away from some but your list above doesn't include the ones I had or heard of issues from in the past thread. Thanks much!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I think I must of bottled my performance since I'm getting very jagged frame rate and I have a cross fire amd 6970 and i've got 12 gb ddr 3 of ram. To those who modded with ENB can you be happy to list the mods you've used and what you've done to get ultra fps at 1080p? I like to start from scratch again.

Karak

Remove Skyboost, still occurring?
The FPS reason 60 but it stutters? That is indeed odd. I am not sure if harddrive failure or thrashing could cause a stutter without Fraps noticing it. I would assume it would.

Do you have an old .ini? If so replace the one from the custom ini creator. I stay away from those anyway as they had caused me insane issues in the past(think they are fixed now and don't cause the ini bloat but I still don't mess with them)

Are you messing with uGrinds in any way?

TESVAL is a simple delete. As long as you continue to use the launcher you will gain the benefits though. And the game still launches through Steam so it's a win-win.

Yes. I changed some of those settings. I guess I'll have to revert those values to see if that is the culprit.

Skyboost shouldn't be the issue as it worked fine before changing the ini's.

LiquidMetal14

Sounds good sir. Awesome work.
I too have stayed away from some but your list above doesn't include the ones I had or heard of issues from in the past thread. Thanks much!

Some are also just meager ones. Like some of the weapon ones, they are incomplete or only have 2 or 10 weapons as it takes time. I may add more of those now that I have the room to. I just don't want to clutter good mods with more novel ones >>

Yes. I changed some of those settings. I guess I'll have to revert those values to see if that is the culprit.

I would edit particles down and maybe lower interior shadow distance. Maybe edit the resolution. By chance, did you copy the entire ini from the creator and just delete your old one?

Once you've chosn a mod you like, make sure you read the authors installation instructions. Usually, you can download with the manager and it will do it all for you. In some cases however, there are files that need to go into places the manager won't place them. I've been messing around with mods for years and years but I always read the installation instructions. It's imperitive, especially when the larger mods start appearing after the release of the CK.
Part of this is why I went back to NMM. It has specialized instructions for mods that you don't get in MO. Like isoku's water mod has an install screen which is totally missing from MO. The only ones that annoy me are the mods that have you edit the ini. I like the simple install method and knowing what I have via a mod manager. I do have the 360 controller one though since it works so good.

spirity

Yeah, always, always, do your research before installing a mod. You dont have to go crazy, just a cursory glance at the first 1 or 2 pages of comments at the nexus. Also, pay attention to the number of "endorsements" a mod is getting. Use it as a ratings system if you will - if its got 20 endorsements its either new or you should probably avoid it. If its got 1000 its likely awesome. But it still might not be for you. Don't just start installing mods because they're popular, install them because you want them and they'll increase your enjoyment of the game. Sounds like common sense, but people do fall into this trap and make a mess of their game.

Once you've chosn a mod you like, make sure you read the authors installation instructions. Usually, you can download with the manager and it will do it all for you. In some cases however, there are files that need to go into places the manager won't place them. I've been messing around with mods for years and years but I always read the installation instructions. It's imperitive, especially when the larger mods start appearing after the release of the CK.

Karak

FYI the reason I asked about Skyboost as well is that on the Bethesda forums a couple people posted that Skyboost suddenly stopped working or caused weird issues. It was very very few people and other things were involved but what Skyboost does has the EXTREME potential to cause a problem later down the line. It just hasn't been reported to have done so yet.

Karak

Yeah, always, always, do your research before installing a mod. You dont have to go crazy, just a cursory glance at the first 1 or 2 pages of comments at the nexus. Also, pay attention to the number of "endorsements" a mod is getting. Use it as a ratings system if you will - if its got 20 endorsements its either new or you should probably avoid it. If its got 1000 its likely awesome. But it still might not be for you. Don't just start installing mods because they're popular, install them because you want them and they'll increase your enjoyment of the game. Sounds like common sense, but people do fall into this trap and make a mess of their game.

CK.
Also the biggest killer recently are patch specific mods,not even for just Skyrim but games and mods in general. TONS of the great mods only work on some patches, or needed updating when the newest patch came out, or stopped working. It will get MUCH worse when the construction set comes out. Man Oblivion patching was the worst:( and I don't see Skyrim being any better with some mods.

I also look in the comments for problems. A game may have 100 endorsements and yet 3 of them state "has issue with this setting in the game" Which happens to be a setting I have and so forth.

Everyone should just take their time!

Karak

I am currently loving and running all the Bumpmapped normals from Yuril

Markath Improved
All others on in the body of the text on the page. So many by him and damn well done.

Small change but oh so effective and no FPS drops

Also Yuril did his first Colorful Town finishing Whiterun up. Actually did a dang good job making the textures have a bit of variation here and there.
Colorful Town Series Whiterun

Lastly I enjoy the Colorful Dragons Mod HD. But I always had an issue with the look of the originals.
Colorful Dragons HD
Colorful Dragons HD

Liquid the link seems broken in the above mod link in your post!

Atomski

Wonder if someone will try to make the combat more interesting. Maybe try to take some ideas from Dark Souls.

LiquidMetal14

You know, the bump mapping one should be an all in 1 compilation. I like the idea but don't like to have one for every city. Give me a total conversion of sorts.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm about to do my second playthrough - the first was entirely vanilla, this one I am tossing in a bajillion mods - I am going to play it with a heavy magic focus too. Question - any good alchemy mods? I feel like alchemy is such a chore in this game.

Karak

You know, the bump mapping one should be an all in 1 compilation. I like the idea but don't like to have one for every city. Give me a total conversion of sorts.

I agree. The reason why I liked it, was that he separated it because people have so many Whiterun conversions already so they could pick and choose, especially for Whiterun. I just don't think he knows how to make an installer and so forth. I use them and they make an incredible difference but I also don't have many Whiterun mods currently anyhow.

Karak

Sorry copied my post instead of my question.

Does anyone use the Equipable map? It crashes when I load the item!

Oh got it fixed.

Karak

And last suggestion and sorry Liquid the next series will be in one list.

Deadly Dragons

Description
Deadly Dragons besides increasing dragons fighting powers also aims to improve dragon content in the game. With each and every new version you can expect new content/tweaks/improvements. If you wish to have stronger dragons as well as NEW DRAGONS, with DIFFERENT shouts and DIFFERENT TEXTURES then this mod is just for you!

This is by far my favorite mod. Basically dragons are a 15-30 minute battle of wills and insanity with a dragon RIGHTFULLY being the king of the mountain.

EDIT: Nope Armor requirement now removed. Best mod ever now.

Top Bottom