• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Natal - controller free gaming on 360

Binabik15

Elephant posing? WTF!

Get a pen a piece of paper if you´re so creative.

fuuuuuuuuuuuu.gif

Oh, and Lying Head Molyneux, great.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
$200 is absurd. Here's hoping it's not that much.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
LovingSteam said:
If it works, Microsoft wins my $$$. It looks revolutionary. Simple. As. That!

It seems like they are trying too hard to be "revolutionary" when they should have just announced an Xbox slim for $50 less and called it a day.

Ponn

Banned
I hate motion controls, but this is true 1 to 1 if they pull it off. For those who profess to love their Wii and waggle they should be all for this since this is above and beyond what they currently have. If they don't, then well that just shows a persons true colors.

It just needs good support, that is just about the key to all off this stuff. It's intriguing, I will say that. It just still doesn't change the fact that I don't like motion controls. I still feel the same way about it when the Wii was announced, just not as tight and precise controls as having a controller in your hands. Also depends on how good the recognition technology is in real life use.

We will see.

Banned
Let me get this straight. Nintendo has gotten nothing but shit for not making uber innovative, life changing hardcore games using motion control and the IR for like 2 years. How much of a pass are people going to give this?

MS releases a motion sensing control that seems to excel in doing everything people didn't like the wii for?

Snipes424

TheKingsCrown said:
I'm sorry, $200?

:lol :lol :lol

They think people are going to pay $50 less than a Wii for this? On top of 360 cost?

$200? ouch.

Natal is actually really cool though, I'm really surprised

CoG

Peter Molyneux, the king of hyperbole and bullshitting. Who better to demo this shitty technology :lol

The more they show, the better it looks. Definitely revolutionary stuff being demoed... but damnit, I hate motion controls so much.

Ponn01 said:
I hate motion controls, but this is true 1 to 1 if they pull it off. For those who profess to love their Wii and waggle they should be all for this since this is above and beyond what they currently have. If they don't, then well that just shows a persons true colors.

It just needs good support, that is just about the key to all off this stuff. It's intriguing, I will say that. It just still doesn't change the fact that I don't like motion controls. I still feel the same way about it when the Wii was announced, just not as tight and precise controls as having a controller in your hands. Also depends on how good the recognition technology is in real life use.

We will see.

I agree with the bolded part. I personally look at things from a business standpoint, and I just don't think its wise from a business standpoint to "straddle" in this manner. Nor to show your hand to your competitors when the striking isn't "hot" so to speak. All tech right now is promising. But which of it gets adopted?

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
_leech_ said:
The more they show, the better it looks. Definitely revolutionary stuff being demoed... but damnit, I hate motion controls so much.

Really? The more I see, the more I think it looks imprecise and most likely frustrating. The ball thing was terrible, the paint thing looked horribly imprecise. I just don't see how this is going to make the type of games I like work better.

MrFortyFive

It looks rough. Definitely revolutionary if they can refine it, but as of now it looks awfully rough. Kinda like a glorified eye toy and those demos seem very very gimmicky. I guess people were saying a lot of similar things about the Wii, but even at a reasonable price I wouldn't buy it as it stands now. There are mountains of potential but it looks like they should give it some more time in the oven and release it with the 720.

Meier

DarienA said:
According to a Seattle Times blog entry

"Prices and timing weren't available, but it won't be available until 2010 at the earliest and will probably cost around $200. Microsoft has already given game developers tools to start building games that uses the device."
This thing is going to fail without question if only because of that price point. The Wii isn't successful only because of the motion-sensing, etc. but because it has a neat new technology and is relatively cheap. In 2010, there's the possibility the Wii will have finally seen a pricecut. $200 for this on top of the cost to buy the system = guaranteed failure.

drakesfortune said:
Really? The more I see, the more I think it looks imprecise and most likely frustrating. The ball thing was terrible, the paint thing looked horribly imprecise. I just don't see how this is going to make the type of games I like work better.

All of the little game things looked like they would be more precise with the Wii remote.

The character demonstrations was interesting, but I don't know if I would call it fun.

that tech is really really impressive....

like I said in the E3 thread....they should have just waited and released it as their new console.

I HOPE $99.99 but I could see like $149.99 or $200 even

p3tran

Banned
it will definitely have some apps that will rival even the stupidest wii stupidity, so I see mainstream appeal

I will get jut for the dash navigation. hope it doesnt add lag to the already laggy interfface

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
My thoughts are that there is no way this thing is accurate enough to be as useful or as intuitive as they just showed.

I really like what it can potentially do, the Milo demo especially, but there is zero percent chance that interacting with a "person" like that is ever going to be natural in an unrestricted environment, or these games are going to work without awkwardness.

Game programming hasn't magically gotten better since this device launched.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mylo demo was fun. I have to say I was expecting them to have some kind of real glasses dispenser to throw out at the girl in the video - but still the visual of him throwing it towards her was quite convincing. I bet if she didn't reach for it, they can make him make a comment about it too. It's always fun when all the computing power is focused on one main thing in a demo, making it look as best as possible.

Btw, I have had an experience with an IR camera/scanner of this kind, and it's quite receptive. It 'knows' human skeletal structure, and it can detect your movements quite accurately. I was for example playing that human tetris game with that unit, and it was precise and quick enough to make it workable and fun.

Mr.FortyFive said:
It looks rough. Definitely revolutionary if they can refine it, but as of now it looks awfully rough. Kinda like a glorified eye toy and those demos seem very very gimmicky. I guess people were saying a lot of similar things about the Wii, but even at a reasonable price I wouldn't buy it as it stands now. There are mountains of potential but it looks like they should give it some more time in the oven and release it with the 720.

The implication was that Natal replaced the need *for* an Xbox 720. Kinda like how Nintendo could potentially have released the Wii as a Gamecube addon, if the GC had been successful.

CiSTM

Banned
This is fucking neat ! I really can't wait for next gen and the new tech we will see. I don't expect Natal to be anything huge this gen but next gen is whole new story.

Honestly I'm kinda worn on all this stuff. I was more than happy with the core 360 games announced but seeing that girl steer an invisible wheel gave me nightmares of early DS and Wii games with horrible control implementation.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Let me get this straight. Nintendo has gotten nothing but shit for not making uber innovative, life changing hardcore games using motion control and the IR for like 2 years. How much of a pass are people going to give this?

MS releases a motion sensing control that seems to excel in doing everything people didn't like the wii for?

See, people shit on Nintendo because all they would have shown was Natal and then followed up with that shitty avatar car microrapements thing and passed it off as them supporting the "hardcore".

That's the difference.

So long as Microsoft can get the balance right, they can do whatever goofy shit they want.

I'd like to see a stage picture for that:

zt64ix.png

Yoschi

it is simply not going to work for all kinds of games, just like the wii. saying this is the best controller ever created is absolutely absurd and only to fuel some fire to start some fanboy war with nintendo. it is motion recognition, not a controller. but nice marketing trick anyways

chase

This could be good. A FPS where you can look around a corner by moving your head, defuse bombs with your hands rather than a cursor, etc. No one wants to spaz around in Gears, but you can tactfully add things that I think would enhance the experience.

This has so much more potential then wii... now the question is, how well will it be adapted?

I will say this, MS has came with a sweet device here...and with High Def on top of it...it could be huge

ElyrionX

I don't see how it's going to work in a videogame but whatever they showed looked amazing and groundbreaking. Some of you may not be excited about this but the mainstream press is going to be all over this shit.

Antagon

chase said:
This could be good. A FPS where you can look around a corner by moving your head, defuse bombs with your hands rather than a cursor, etc. No one wants to spaz around in Gears, but you can tactfully add things that I think would enhance the experience.

How would you walk around and aim though? And what about say rolling to the side, jump over stuff, etc.

Top Bottom