• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Natal - controller free gaming on 360

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Need this for MGS, Virtual Hide in Box simulator.
Greatest innovation ever for Hgames?

Also Claire's virtual sim with the lil boy made me cry :lol It was actually pretty impressive yet creepy

Koren

Ponn01 said:
I hate motion controls, but this is true 1 to 1 if they pull it off. For those who profess to love their Wii and waggle they should be all for this since this is above and beyond what they currently have. If they don't, then well that just shows a persons true colors.
I find it interesting, I'm not sure it will work for everything, like motion capture on Wii. Golf, swordfighting and such are possibilities. It's indeed an interesting testbed for new ideas.

Still my main interest in the Wiimote remains the IR pointer (and gestures/inclination to replace button press). I find the tech rather eyetoy-kind than wiimote-kind (and I've never been fond of eyetoy), even if the difference in tech seems to be huge.

Gwanatu T

Well my mind was blown, that's for sure. We need some real games announced for it before I'm completely sold, but it appears like it works like advertised. If this takes off, this will be a nice disruption in the Wii's market.

Wes

venison crêpe
Pretty astounding tech. Will have to see how it gets supported by developers over the coming years.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Mr.Potato Head said:
This has so much more potential then wii... now the question is, how well will it be adapted?

I will say this, MS has came with a sweet device here...and with High Def on top of it...it could be huge

Not exactly. You won't be able to do a lot without buttons, so unless they announce a Wiimote/nunchuk like device, this thing is going to be very limited in what it can do.

Also if it's $200, this is just a bad, bad idea.

Thank God they realized no one wants to wave their arms around wildly like the Wii.
Obviously they want to wave their entire body around wildly!

At any rate, more motion control was inevitable. I think competition is good if nothing else.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yoschi said:
it is simply not going to work for all kinds of games, just like the wii.
Exactly. Plus you're going to get a lot of lazy devs just throwing shit out there, just like the Wii.

Xater

That Milo thing is not going to work at all. That's why it's behind closed doors. It's impossible that the character can react to whatever you throw at him.

a.wd

Well Im not all about the waggle, but my girlfriend is. Plus moving through menus using your hands is cool as fuck....

bottles

LovingSteam said:
If it works, Microsoft wins my $$$. It looks revolutionary. Simple. As. That!

I agree, it truly looks amazing. Loved Peter Molyneux’ Milo demo.

However, they’re making a mistake by introducing it as an add-on. It’s never really gonna take off this way. The 360’s imago is too hardcore.

Benson

This would be very helpful for me right now, my right hand is in a cast due to a broken bone and I cannot hold a controller.

GhostSeed

Impressive but I still like playing games with a regular controller.

Also...

fciohv.jpg

206o7qt.jpg

laserbeam

Banned
Ponn01 said:
I hate motion controls, but this is true 1 to 1 if they pull it off. For those who profess to love their Wii and waggle they should be all for this since this is above and beyond what they currently have. If they don't, then well that just shows a persons true colors.

Its goes both ways on showing true colors. 85% of this board shit on and continues to shit on motion controls. Suddenly its gonna be cool cause microsoft says so?

bdouble

Wasn't really impressed. Its all he things people complain (misunderstood flailing your arms and what not) about the wii but worse. Everything but Milo was basically like creating Miis and messing with the photo channel. Morgan Webb said it best in that no one really will use that stuff and the only interesting thing was Milo.

I don't know if it'll take off. How many games will support it? Probably some 97% of the Wii library supports the motion controls in some way.

If it isn't packaged with the system, it'll do bad.
If it isn't reasonably priced, it'll do bad.

a.wd said:
Well Im not all about the waggle, but my girlfriend is. Plus moving through menus using your hands is cool as fuck....
Having to do a separate gesture to move through every single option isn't.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If this takes off it will give Nintendo some competition, they need to think less imagination mechanics or invisible paint buckets and more like Peter though.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Sony opens their conference with just a picture:

playstation_eye.jpg

"We're glad that Microsoft has finally decided to jump on the bandwagon with us."

I think the major difference here is that MS seems to be putting a lot of muscle behind it's release instead of treating it like a gimmicky side project.

chriskun

I think it looks really awesome, but I refuse to believe that the Milo thing was not scripted. You could break that scenario so easily, AI is not advanced enough to do the things that Mr. Molyneux was implying, especially to program in a few months. It was a bad decision to end off with him talking, I found the things he was saying to be a bit creepy in fact.

chase

Antagon said:
How would you walk around and aim though? And what about say rolling to the side, jump over stuff, etc.

You'd still use the controller for all that of course. I don't think they're mutually exclusive, are they?

J-Rock

Banned
Prime Blue said:
I'd like to see a stage picture for that:

zt64ix.png

:lol We seriously need some gifs. BAM!

I'm just not impressed from a gaming standpoint. Tech wise it's cool but so was the eyetoy(and that didn't do so well).

XonoX

Fucking doubters of Natal should take a good look at the bigger picture.

Natal is the future. I thought how much could they possibly do with the Z-Cam ?

Mind blown.

Banned
Yeah I'm just not feeling this. I love motion control and this just screams stupid. The thing about the wii was despite the obvious minigames and the like, you could clearly see how the motion control and the IR could improve traditional games, and we did see it happen in games like mario galaxy and Pro Evolution Soccer.

Natal doesn't invoke that same " I can't wait to play FPS, RTS, sports games, etc etc" feel that the wiimote did.

It doesn't help that the applications they used to showcase natal are strange. Throwing paint? Elephants? Mylo=Seaman? MS couldn't convince one of their studios to make a more traditional game to showcase the Natal abilities in general gameplay. Zelda:TP was a big hit at the Wii unveiling.

Also no 3rd party games. Not one. Not even Tony Hawk. This might validate Nintendo decision not to pack in the classic controller.

Oh well. They still have time to impress me.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Ysiadmihi said:
Not exactly. You won't be able to do a lot without buttons, so unless they announce a Wiimote/nunchuk like device, this thing is going to be very limited in what it can do.

Also if it's $200, this is just a bad, bad idea.

The camera alone is $200!
I thought Nintendo were pushing it with the balance board but that is absurd.

Zeenbor

As a developer, this is the coolest shit EVAR. Super inspiring!!

As a gamer, I'm a bit skeptical. It all depends on execution and giving a new feeling.

We'll see where this goes, but I'm a bit optimistic.

bottles

chase said:
This could be good. A FPS where you can look around a corner by moving your head, defuse bombs with your hands rather than a cursor, etc. No one wants to spaz around in Gears, but you can tactfully add things that I think would enhance the experience.

That would be gimmicky. Either you build games around it or you don’t use it.

I don’t see Natal taking off on the 360, but it could eat into Nintendo’s pie. You can’t develop games like Super Mario Galaxy for this, though. It’s always going to be an add-on.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
N.A said:
They should do a version of that japanese human tetris thing.
As I mentioned in my previous post - that's exactly the game I was playing on a PC-based system similar to this. It's was precise enough and fun

A lot of these games look like a typical EyeToy fare though, even though I know this is more precise and whatnot.

The more I think about this, the more I'm like WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?:lol

Why would Microsoft fragment their own console when they are doing well entering the space they really want to? Why would they make such a business decision that is ASSURED to cause Nintendo to launch Super Wii and once again derail them?

This is not the way to win the set top box war.

LCfiner

the first demos looked really, really horrible for lazy gamers like me. I have no interest in flinging paint buckets on walls or spazzing out in a blockbreaker game.

But, the crazy shit that Molyneux is doing with it has me intrigued.

I'm not sold on it, but it really could be tech that actually has the ability to change the way we play games.

Milo could be very, very interesting if it can actually handle real human inputs and not break.

I am eagerly awaiting the press impressions from their demos.

dabig2

This is what the eyetoy should've been. Sony preached it since 2004 and MS comes in and does it in style. Really excited for the future.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Microsoft wins the fucking generation. That is crazy impressive. I mean, compare those tech demos to the Wii tech demos and then extrapolate from there. The stuff you can do with just your hands. Trauma Center on Xbox Live Arcade? That Sega table tapping game? Alan Wake 2 with hand based exploration... opening a menu by saying MENU. Holy shit

Cygnus X-1

Yeah I'm just not feeling this. I love motion control and this just screams stupid. The thing about the wii was despite the obvious minigames and the like, you could clearly see how the motion control and the IR could improve traditional games, and we did see it happen in games like mario galaxy and Pro Evolution Soccer.

Natal doesn't invoke that same " I can't wait to play FPS, RTS, sports games, etc etc" feel that the wiimote did.

It doesn't help that the applications they used to showcase natal are strange. Throwing paint? Elephants? Mylo=Seaman? MS couldn't convince one of their studios to make a more traditional game to showcase the Natal abilities in general gameplay. Zelda:TP was a big hit at the Wii unveiling.

Also no 3rd party games. Not one. Not even Tony Hawk. This might validate Nintendo decision not to pack in the classic controller.

Oh well. They still have time to impress me.

Good post. I feel the same.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
The technology, if it works like they demonstrated looks very good. It made my girlfriend look up from Facebook for 5 minutes, and say "wow that looks cool", which is what the wii initially did. I know I will buy it and play it for a month, but ultimately I want to sit on my couch and move as little as possible, whilst causing amazing things happen on the screen, not jumping around like a spazz, I hope they don't abandon people with this attitude.

Also that Milo kid was creepy, paedophiles around the world will be buying that shit to practice their grooming techniques. I wonder how Milo would have reacted if Claire drew a cock instead of the orange?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Remember remember what gaf doesn't like, the rest of the world likes lol

They will possibly hit a home run with this with the ultra casual.

Top Bottom