• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Wait, Chopper joining is really considered that huge in Japan?

Reminder that movie 9 is just a retelling of that whole arc. Thing is, Chopper himself is inherently popular because adorable mascot, so him joining the crew is important in so much as it kept him in the story.

Japanese TV show called "Jump Police" (JumPoli"ジャンポリ") celebrated 20th anniversary of ONE PIECE 2 hours ago.
They asked 100 audience about 2 questions.

- Who is your favorite character in ONE PIECE?
1st Sanji (28 votes)
2nd Luffy (21 votes)
3rd Chopper (12 votes)

- What is the most impressive scene in ONE PIECE?
1st Ace got killed by Akainu. (34 votes)
2nd Luffy inviting Chopper to Straw Hats (24 votes)
3rd Straw Hats saying goodbye to Going Merry (20 votes)

QrLRq4Q.jpg

Cover page of ONE PIECE Magazine volume 3 got revealed by editor Hattori, more info later.
Stay winning sanji stay winning
Also fufufu that chopper love can translate to carrot love aye oda

A brief summary for ONE PIECE editors' talk show in Tokyo Tower today.

- Oda received tons of fan letters asking him to save Ace's life during Marineford War arc.
- Editor Hattori asked Oda every week, "Are you really gonna kill Ace? I don't think it's a good idea.."
- However, Oda didn't understand why many audience are worried about Ace since he planned to kill Ace ever since his first appearance.
- Basic course of events in the story is usually decided before the arc starts. However, Oda didn't have an intention to make Shanks appear in Marineford War.
- Oda asks his editor what kinds of predictions audience have. Oda tries to go beyond their expectations.
- Oda asked his editor, "What do you think if Ace turns out to be Roger's son?" The editor was very surprised to hear that. Oda was satisfied with his reaction and decided to go with this idea.
- Oda goes mad when editor doesn't answer the phone, Editor holds his cell phone in his arms while sleeping so that he can answer the phone from Oda anytime.
- Editor wanted to publish ONE PIECE Magazine every month in 2017, but Shueisha rejected since it would be too risky.
- The cover page of ONE PIECE Magazine volume 3 got revealed. It will be released on September 1st. (Volume 2 will be out on August 4th.)
- Oda's comment about Wano arc will be included in ONE PIECE Magazine volume 2.
- Editor Naito and Sugita already know what will happen in Wano arc. Both of them agree that the climax story in Wano arc is awesome.
- Oda showed his BEST smile when he received a cake in OP 20th celebration party with his family and friends.

Courtesy of Sandman.

We dodged a bullet one piece as a monthly series holy crap we'd never make it to the end and we'd suffer withdrawals.
Also wano comment hype

I believe the monthly comment was about this new magazine, not the series.

A monthly One Piece would require it to move to a different magazine (it is called 'Weekly' Shonen Jump, after all), which would be a huge blow for the magazine. Theoretically if Oda wanted to make it monthly he could, but I doubt it at this stage.

Could you imagine the art in One Piece if it was a monthly though? Damn.

I believe the monthly comment was about this new magazine, not the series.

A monthly One Piece would require it to move to a different magazine (it is called 'Weekly' Shonen Jump, after all), which would be a huge blow for the magazine. Theoretically if Oda wanted to make it monthly he could, but I doubt it at this stage.

Could you imagine the art in One Piece if it was a monthly though? Damn.
Ah gotcha. Art probably be fire but would oda speed up his pacing

One Pieces ending will be a holiday in Japan. What is it about OP that makes it stand above all others? At it's core One Piece is shounen.

I really dislike the recent labeling of shonen as a pejorative.

With how ubiquitous and diverse manga is in Japan, the primary demographic of a series isn't connected to its quality.

NSESN

I really dislike the recent labeling of shonen as a pejorative.

With how ubiquitous and diverse manga is in Japan, the primary demographic of a series isn't connected to its quality.

Just because it is the most popular "genre" it gets more hate. But I don't care, it still is my favourite.
Naruto with all of its flaws still entertrained me more than anything that isn't shonen. Then you have OP, FMA and others that go above.

sense of adventure.

It makes you feel you are part of the crew.

LotusHD

Banned
Yea, world building for sure. Stuff like that where you know the Straw Hats are always on the move, or how various characters can reappear at any moment, the crazy foreshadowing, how both of those things enables people to theorize how an arc might end (The bomb for instance), how an arc might begin.

It's just very comforting knowing that just off the top of my head I know that there's all these known upcoming destinations and plot points that we have to cover.

Oh, and of course the crew. Best ensemble ever. Even as it grows and some of them have less to do, don't be surprised when Oda rectifies that (Sanji's arc, Brook being MVP).

Oh, and it's funny.

Yea, world building for sure. Stuff like that where you know the Straw Hats are always on the move, or how various characters can reappear at any moment, the crazy foreshadowing, how both of those things enables people to theorize how an arc might end (The bomb for instance), how an arc might begin.

It's just very comforting knowing that just off the top of my head I know that there's all these known upcoming destinations and plot points that we have to cover.

Oh, and of course the crew. Best ensemble ever. Even as it grows and some of them have less to do, don't be surprised when Oda rectifies that (Sanji's arc, Brook being MVP).

Oh, and it's funny.

The thing is that One Piece is very, very well set up to have a continually driven adventure, at times to the point of being contrived, but it functions so well that people will accept it. It's also established in a way that the gradual expansion of its world makes sense when aligned with the crew's own development, and so the audience isn't overwhelmed with too much information at once. That admittedly is something I would say Oda gets less masterful at as the series goes on, but at the same time people have a higher tolerance due to how they're already invested.

Or heck, to put it another way, the fact that the series works so well for filler is indicative of this: It's natural for this series to have relatively segmented adventures where the focus shifts because everything is literally divided as individual landmasses. Very few other series actually achieve that.

One Piece's world has already been praised, but I wanted to add another factor to that, which is the fact that One Piece's central tenant is to "always keep moving forward".

One Piece as a story is diametrically opposed to the ideas of stagnation and inaction. The characters in the story are not forced to do anything in the story, at least not in the traditional sense. Luffy does not have to find the One Piece or 'else', he wants to find it because he wants to, and that desire is what drives the story. In that vein, Luffy (and by extension, the story), hates it when people laze around, wait for something to solve the problem for them or take the easy way out. Look at every crewmember that Luffy finds along his journey, and see how all of them were trapped in situations that kept them in some sort of aimless, stagnant state that Luffy rescues them from.

And it's that sort of will that you see at the heart of most of the arcs in the story. The obstacles the strawhats meet along their journey are never world ending. In fact, they are almost always in a position where they can turn around and ignore the problem. It's the way Oda compartmentalizes the stakes of a conflict to be emotionally personal to someone in the story, not always the strawhats, and the fact that the protagonists choose to confront those issues that convince the audience that this is worth going through.

In that way, the story becomes a sort of parable, as most epics are. We choose to go on our respective journies in life, and we'll likely encounter a dozen things that will get in our way, that'll ask us to give up. One Piece says that the struggle is something to be admired because that's what makes the decision worth it.

One Piece's world has already been praised, but I wanted to add another factor to that, which is the fact that One Piece's central tenant is to "always keep moving forward".

One Piece as a story is diametrically opposed to the ideas of stagnation and inaction. The characters in the story are not forced to do anything in the story, at least not in the traditional sense. Luffy does not have to find the One Piece or 'else', he wants to find it because he wants to, and that desire is what drives the story. In that vein, Luffy (and by extension, the story), hates it when people laze around, wait for something to solve the problem for them or take the easy way out. Look at every crewmember that Luffy finds along his journey, and see how all of them were trapped in situations that kept them in some sort of aimless, stagnant state that Luffy rescues them from.

And it's that sort of will that you see at the heart of most of the arcs in the story. The obstacles the strawhats meet along their journey are never world ending. In fact, they are almost always in a position where they can turn around and ignore the problem. It's the way Oda compartmentalizes the stakes of a conflict to be emotionally personal to someone in the story, not always the strawhats, and the fact that the protagonists choose to confront those issues that convince the audience that this is worth going through.

In that way, the story becomes a sort of parable, as most epics are. We choose to go on our respective journies in life, and we'll likely encounter a dozen things that will get in our way, that'll ask us to give up. One Piece says that the struggle is something to be admired because that's what makes the decision worth it.

The point the world won't end if they fail is an important one, I feel. Sure, millions could die, but the lack of inherent personal connection in a way works as it means that the investment is what the Strawhats choose to give it. Even with Alabasta, where saving it was for Vivi's sake, that's because they chose to make Vivi their friend; outside of her it doesn't impact them.

In relation to this, I think it's telling that when Vivi's goal was achieved, she left the crew. Rather than keep her around for the sake of a then established status quo, which could have been justified as her not wanting to abandon her friends after they helped save her home - and which most shonen would do - Oda instead dropped her from the story as she had no other lofty goal to aspire to. No continual journey to refer back to and show progressing in amongst all the major fights. He instead have her place to a character whose lofty goal had been revealed some chapters beforehand, and who provided an easy means of expanding the deeper aspects of the lore that would become increasingly difficult with characters who were largely meant to have experience limited to their homes.

Ray Down

Banned
I think Toriko while having nice world building, it forgot the characters at one point and even lost the world building aspect.

Ray Down

Banned
I do have to wonder what info Oda will bring on Wano.

Has Oda ever really revealed details of an arc ahead of time in interviews?

Can't help but think delay.

I do have to wonder what info Oda will bring on Wano.

Has Oda ever really revealed details of an arc ahead of time in interviews?

Can't help but think delay.

They have a magazine to push now.

Wouldn't expect much, maybe a "please look forward to the future!"

Maybe some sketches if we're lucky.

Ogodei

The point the world won't end if they fail is an important one, I feel. Sure, millions could die, but the lack of inherent personal connection in a way works as it means that the investment is what the Strawhats choose to give it. Even with Alabasta, where saving it was for Vivi's sake, that's because they chose to make Vivi their friend; outside of her it doesn't impact them.

In relation to this, I think it's telling that when Vivi's goal was achieved, she left the crew. Rather than keep her around for the sake of a then established status quo, which could have been justified as her not wanting to abandon her friends after they helped save her home - and which most shonen would do - Oda instead dropped her from the story as she had no other lofty goal to aspire to. No continual journey to refer back to and show progressing in amongst all the major fights. He instead have her place to a character whose lofty goal had been revealed some chapters beforehand, and who provided an easy means of expanding the deeper aspects of the lore that would become increasingly difficult with characters who were largely meant to have experience limited to their homes.

Although if Alabasta had gone the other way Crocodile could very well have ended the world (or triggered nigh-apocalyptic countermeasures by the WG to prevent him from unleashing the might of Pluton).

Similar if Robin had been taken away at Enies Lobby (and eventually compelled to create a translation table for the WG), or if they had managed to snatch the Pluton blueprints off of Franky.

But you're correct in the main.

It's only contrived insofar as it inadvertently makes the Straw Hats out to be TV-serial superheroes: freelancers who wander around and do good just 'cuz, like The Hulk in the 80s TV series, which is not what Luffy's going for.

The idea that the Straw Hats aren't "forced" to do anything isn't too unique among higher-profile anime. Early Dragonball, Hunter x Hunter, and Naruto before the Pain arc were all similar in that nobody was forcing the characters into the situations they were in, it was part of a journey they chose to go on.

Ogodei

This reminds me, back earlier we had the discussion where i pondered whether Franky's ever shown interest in women (and y'all provided me examples of that), the other question is... has Zoro?

It goes back to the bathhouse scene in Alubarna, where Luffy, Usopp, Sanji, and Cobra peep on Nami and Vivi in the girl's side of the bath. Chopper and Zoro were the only two who didn't bother.

Zoro's shown consideration for women (the question of whether he tried to let Monet off easy because she was a woman or because she was just way out of her depth, or when he caught Robin after Enel shot her), but has he ever shown any sexual interest?

This reminds me, back earlier we had the discussion where i pondered whether Franky's ever shown interest in women (and y'all provided me examples of that), the other question is... has Zoro?

It goes back to the bathhouse scene in Alubarna, where Luffy, Usopp, Sanji, and Cobra peep on Nami and Vivi in the girl's side of the bath. Chopper and Zoro were the only two who didn't bother.

Zoro's shown consideration for women (the question of whether he tried to let Monet off easy because she was a woman or because she was just way out of her depth, or when he caught Robin after Enel shot her), but has he ever shown any sexual interest?
Not that I can think of he fits right in with luffy as the only two men as holdouts even chopper recently found love

LotusHD

Banned

He always seemed like one of those stereotypical tough guys where a woman has to force the horniness out of him lol, otherwise he's focused on getting stronger and not much else.

At best, he probably liked Kuina tho

He always seemed like one of those stereotypical tough guys where a woman has to force the horniness out of him lol, otherwise he's focused on getting stronger and not much else.

At best, he probably liked Kuina tho

Yeah, I always figured he was the sort of person who'd have to be actively seduced to get any kind of hormonal response, vs having the basic perverted interest most of the cast possesses.

Though that bathroom scene is still hilarious in hindsight considering the whole deal with Hancock.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I think he wouldn't be into anyone that isn't Kunia.

Yeah, I always figured he was the sort of person who'd have to be actively seduced to get any kind of hormonal response, vs having the basic perverted interest most of the cast possesses.

Though that bathroom scene is still hilarious in hindsight considering the whole deal with Hancock.

Even then Zoro would no sell it lol.

Has robin or nami shown any interest in men...?

Negatory. I think Robin called Jinbei handsome once.

Top Bottom