• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Support of 2 controllers on Wii U already available or on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krilekk

Banned
Quite surprise how important to have 2. I mean why not more than 2. If the screen rendering by hardware inside the controller, then let it have more than 2.

If it came power by the main system. Don't bother get more than one, otherwise the game may force to cut/reduce/limit for saving resource.

IIRC the problem is not the hardware but bandwidth limits for wireless controllers.

Red UFO

IIRC the problem is not the hardware but bandwidth limits for wireless controllers.
Yeah, rendering to different controllers would be no different to doing split screen multiplayer on the tv. The problem is, like you said, the mechanism of getting the images to the different controllers.

Nessus

It seems to me like that would only be a problem if they insisted on retaining the "use controller as a monitor" feature for 2 player. There's no way a simple DS-like menu screen or map would take up that much bandwidth.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I thought of this very same example of old bombers with different positions in the vehicle, the pilot could control it with motion controls on the TV, using wii-mote, while his two friends, with their own DRC, could be for one, a gunner, trying to shoot at opponents (so the uPad would displays a sky setting, with clouds, aircrafts, lot of bullets, etc.), for the other, a bomber that must hit certain objectives on the ground (then the padlet would show landscapes, the floor, etc.).

Seriously, it would be amazing !

This would be a system seller for me!
It could be turned into an ongoing series where the only thing in common between entries is the idea of cooperatively operating a complex vehicle in order to complete missions.

You could have a ww2 bomber, a mech, a space-ship, a ww2 tank, a submarine (upad as periscope FTW), the possibilities are endless!

And if you really wanted to go crazy with the multiplayer you could give players the option to momentarily exit the vehicle individually. So for example, our tank is unable to pass through a narrow tunnel, and enemies are pursuing from behind. One member of the squad gets out and goes scouting for an alternate rout while the two remaining members take care of the essential navigation and defense, and so on.

Or alternately, one member is sent into enemy territory as "bait" and lures a group of enemy units into the tank's range, where they are blasted to smithereens!

Basically I'm in love with the idea of having players be able to operate separately and asymmetrically on one occasion, while also being able to meet up in a common vehicle on another occasion.

So I guess what I'm asking for is Voltron for Wii U :-D

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
This would be a system seller for me!
It could be turned into an ongoing series where the only thing in common between entries is the idea of cooperatively operating a complex vehicle in order to complete missions.

You could have a ww2 bomber, a mech, a space-ship, a ww2 tank, a submarine (upad as periscope FTW), the possibilities are endless!

And if you really wanted to go crazy with the multiplayer you could give players the option to momentarily exit the vehicle individually. So for example, our tank is unable to pass through a narrow tunnel, and enemies are pursuing from behind. One member of the squad gets out and goes scouting for an alternate rout while the two remaining members take care of the essential navigation and defense, and so on.

Or alternately, one member is sent into enemy territory as "bait" and lures a group of enemy units into the tank's range, where they are blasted to smithereens!

Basically I'm in love with the idea of having players be able to operate separately and asymmetrically on one occasion, while also being able to meet up in a common vehicle on another occasion.

So I guess what I'm asking for is Voltron for Wii U :-D

Exactly, the possibilities are endless. With 2 DRC + 1 TV (at least 2 players using wii-mote/classic controller as confirmed here), there are tons of control schemes, of expectable setup. This "Vehicle Team Management" IP is a perfect illustration, and thanks to this configuration, basically the players will have completely different experiences of the same content (trying to shoot at elusive spaceships in a turret, with a fast paced action, would be a refreshing change of style after having bombarded precisely several objectives on the ground), with turns of roles when you're fed up of a task, or on the contrary, in a extremely challenging online mode, akin to eSport, each member of your local team, playing against another one through the net, will be heavily specialized in a job, like the tank & dps & healers of mmo.

charsace

Doesn't the system it self render to the pad? If so it would take even more resources to handle 2. Not surprised that they were looking to only support one of these pads per system.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Doesn't the system it self render to the pad? If so it would take even more resources to handle 2. Not surprised that they were looking to only support one of these pads per system.

Yes it's the system. But it wasn't a hardware capability problem, they could just lower the resolution (sub 480p), the framerate, lower the scene complexity, like split-screen mode. It was more a streaming difficulty, and apparently they found a way to resolve it, but it's not activated yet it seems (or it was very recently).

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
by the way, a new SDK released, the 2.05, maybe it makes the use of the second gamepad possible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom