• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada White Supremacy

Windam

Scaley member
From the Vancouver rally right now

(more updates here)

^So far, that's the only obvious Nazi there, while the other actual ralliers haven't made themselves known/visible yet. Everyone else is a counter-protestor.

EDIT:
Now there's a guy with a Pepe sign and somebody condemning a Qu'ran.

Does he not realize Canada wasted very little time in deciding they should send guys across the globe to shoot Nazis and their friends?

CazTGG

Canada is a lovely country and I am proud of being part of it.

However, I would strongly believe against the idea that it's so perfect that such things don't exist - far from it. Being not white myself, I have experienced racial bias many times.

Not strictly on the subject btw, I was just randomly called the "fa" word on the street yesterday by a driver running the red light at the intersection. And I was almost hit by this person. Being straight myself, I feel very bad for the LGBT community in Toronto.

Good job Van. I dont see anything going on over here on the island but I will make sure to show up if I hear of anything. Fuck these assholes.

Thank you.

To people who speak out against Canadian racism, don't listen to people who come out and say that it's not as bad, it's an excuse and a mean to stop us from complaining no matter what we tell them.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from pointing out racism in Canada. I'm more grateful at the kind of problems we don't have.

Stopping racism is a never ending battle and Canada has it's problems like any other country.

You can be proud of Canadas stance on multiculruralism without ignoring its problems IMO. I am proud on one hand and on the other I am ashamed with how we have dealt with our indigenous people. First nations people in this country have been fucked over repeatedly since forever ago and continue to be.

It would definitely be nice to see as many be as vocal about these issues as there is about how proud we are of our image of progressiveness.

La Meute, though, from what I read about them, is not a white supremacy group. They are anti-Islam, it seems the only point to their existence.

Today La Meute had a march against 'illegal immigration' (presumably against the recent influx of Haitians) in Quebec City. 200 attended. A portion of the counter protest (antifa) turned violent and was declared illegal, and La Meute was given police protection.

1456729-apres-avoir-passe-plusieurs-heures.jpg

1456798-plusieurs-groupes-rapprochant-extreme-droite.jpg

1456800-manifestants-masques-rendus-grande-allee.jpg

quebec-far-right-city.JPG

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2...ion-opposee-a-la-meute-tourne-au-vinaigre.php
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-far-right-la-meute-1.4254792

There's an anti-racism rally on Tuesday, in Ottawa, at the US embassy. Probably going to check that out.

Edit: Too bad about the QC rally, sounds like it went horribly.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"antifa" isn't a group, it's a label, and you don't "invite" anyone, it's a protest and once you advertise it people can show up if they want to?

The existence of white supremacists isn't the export. Our culture, which is our greatest export, influence and embolden the trash elsewhere to step up.

Spot On.

Thanks to the US there's a terrible boom in nacionalist, hateful shit in a lot of countries at the moment. Now they're all crawling out of the cave feeling vindicated.

the problem with the reaction of the Anarchists (Quebec City) is that the Black bloc always confronts the cops, always.

no matter if it is an Anti-Capitalist march, an Anti-Police Brutality march, Student Tuition protest. The Black bloc always fucks up all those protest and give the Far-Left a black eye.

now, listening to Francophone radio they are talking about the physical violence perpetrated by the Far-Left Anarchist side.

Now, i'm talking about Quebec here. The Far-Left protesters must stop aligning themselves with the Black bloc. They ruin their message every time.

La Meute and Odin's Sons are racist scumbags, they should not be giving legitimacy. The Far-Left needs better protest leaders than the Black bloc

Oppo

Not strictly on the subject btw, I was just randomly called the "fa" word on the street yesterday by a driver running the red light at the intersection. And I was almost hit by this person. Being straight myself, I feel very bad for the LGBT community in Toronto.

sorry that happened to you, that's terrible...

but I have to argue with your last statement: I have it on good authority from several gay friends that Toronto is fucking great for the LGBT community. Church street is.. well, incredible, especially during Pride. (cop ban notwithstanding)

Not gay myself, and yes anecdotal, but this opinion seems unanimous for those I know.

Hellraizah

the problem with the reaction of the Anarchists (Quebec City) is that the Black bloc always confronts the cops, always.

no matter if it is an Anti-Capitalist march, an Anti-Police Brutality march, Student Tuition protest. The Black bloc always fucks up all those protest and give the Far-Left a black eye.

now, listening to Francophone radio they are talking about the physical violence perpetrated by the Far-Left Anarchist side.

Now, i'm talking about Quebec here. The Far-Left protesters must stop aligning themselves with the Black bloc. They ruin their message every time.

La Meute and Odin's Sons are racist scumbags, they should not be giving legitimacy. The Far-Left needs better protest leaders than the Black bloc

I'd argue that Antifa and the Black Bloc are pretty much the same people.

jstripes

Banned

What is it with Quebec and the Black Bloc?

During the G20 summit in Toronto the Black Bloc went wild, and when the police made arrests nearly all of them were from Quebec.

I'd argue that Antifa and the Black Bloc are pretty much the same people.

From what I understand the Black Bloc are an anarchic subset of Antifa.

mlclmtckr

Banned

During the G20 summit in Toronto the Black Bloc went wild, and when the police made arrests nearly all of them were from Quebec.

Black bloc is a tactic, not a group.

And yeah I was at the Toronto g20 protest... Most of those kids are douchebag LARPers from there Montreal and Toronto suburbs who post on message boards about how they're gonna break some Starbucks windows and take pictures and shit. They're spoiled privileged teens looking for thrills and they're not helpful.

That said I do have to kind of laugh at all the hand wringing over the "anarchist" black bloc "group" who are somehow making people like Nazis more. I mean really come on.

Now you got Journal de Montréal, TVA, 98.5fm talking about the violence instead of the message

They have to protect those historically significant Canadian confederate monuments.

Believe it or not, I actually had a lengthy argument with a friend about the removal of a plaque commemorating Jefferson Davis in Montreal a last week... (Davis lived in Montreal with his family for a time after the Civil War) He said we were "white washing" history (the irony), and started spouting the standard "are we going to tear down the statues to George Washington?" crap (not that we have any in Canada, but whatever)... People are crazy...

I almost want to see them try. I'd go to the counter-protest. It's been a good ten years since I've been to a protest.

There was supposed to be this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419574&highlight=toronto

But the organizer cancelled it for "fear of vandalism and violence."

The university told them they couldn't have it anyway. They had a couple of dozen people before they gave up. The counter-protest is still happening on Sept. 14th:

Unity Rally to Silence White Supremacy in Toronto

Currently 5.8k people listed as going.

They have to protect those historically significant Canadian confederate monuments.

There are some. The Civil War happened before Confederation (and was pretty much its direct cause), and there was actually a good deal of sympathy to the Confederacy in places - particularly the maritimes - for trade reasons and others. Britain was also on the side of the Confederacy, it was far from an unfashionable stance.

jstripes

Banned
There was supposed to be this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419574&highlight=toronto

But the organizer cancelled it for "fear of vandalism and violence."

The university told them they couldn't have it anyway. They had a couple of dozen people before they gave up. The counter-protest is still happening on Sept. 14th:

Unity Rally to Silence White Supremacy in Toronto

Currently 5.8k people listed as going.

I heard that they haven't given up, they're just going to have it at an "undisclosed location" at an "undisclosed time", like when Roosh V came to Toronto and sheepishly huddled together with his most manly of men in a secret location.

Clefargle

So there's a few monuments causing some controversy. I live in Halifax, which was founded by a British guy named Cornwallis. Of course there's a couple streets named after the guy, a couple schools, and at least one prominent statue.

Now, as this is the 1740's, there are tensions with the native Mi'kmaw peoples, eventually leading to war. Cornwallis issued scalping bounties - first for Mi'kmaw warriors, then later a bounty on women and children.

Many in the province, including obviously the remaining Mi'kmaw population, think we probably shouldn't have statues erected to a guy who once put a bounty on children. I am inclined to agree.

I don't want to imply that everyone who disagrees is a white nationailst racist - I have heard some rational (ultimately unconvincing) arguments against removing the statue (orders came from British army superiors, product of his times, etc), and discussions I have had with people have generally been civil.

However, there is a very vocal (aren't they always) small group of racist shits who seem WAY too invested in the fate of a fucking statue. They claim if the statue is torn down they should go to the nearby reservation territory and tear down their prominent statue, and so on,

We even had a group of off duty military personnel harassing peaceful protesters at the statue.

Called themselves "Proud Boys". Smug alt-right fucks:

canada-day-incident-at-indigenous-ceremony-in-halifax.jpg

What the fuck is it with these people and colour coordinated polo shirts??

Maybe they're trying to become an Esports team on the side

I heard that they haven't given up, they're just going to have it at an "undisclosed location" at an "undisclosed time", like when Roosh V came to Toronto and sheepishly huddled together with his most manly of men in a secret location.

The last update on their website is this video from the founder saying it's not happening:

(warning, this is the Nationalist Party website, it's not graphic but do not click if it'll cause work problems having it in your browser history)

https://www.nationalist.ca/2017/08/17/update-toronto-nationalist-rally/

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Now you got Journal de Montréal, TVA, 98.5fm talking about the violence instead of the message

Urgh, I'm getting 2012 flashbacks... This is what they'll talk about no matter what. They don't care about "the message", they want confrontation and they know a big part of their audience hates the big bad lefties... They're our Fox News lite, trying to "please" them is just counterproductive.

Urgh, I'm getting 2012 flashbacks... This is what they'll talk about no matter what. They don't care about "the message", they want confrontation and they know a big part of their audience hates the big bad lefties... They're our Fox News lite, trying to "please" them is just counterproductive.
the 2012 Student Tuition protest? not comparable. Apples and Oranges.

anyway, the 2012 Student Protests caused the Liberals to fall for a PQ minority then the PQ minority drudged up Identity Politics with their Charter of Quebec Values.

thank God that PQ minority was short lived

CazTGG

We don't have anywhere near the systemic racism the US has.

Phony war on drugs.
Trigger happy police
Muslim travel bans
Civil war statues
Voter suppression
Etc

Your daily reminder that Harper was a tool.

Obviously Canada's issues pertaining to race, gender, etc. are different from the U.S., no one's exactly in a hurry to take down the nonexistent statues for FLQ members or defend residential schools (aside from Lynn Beyak), but that doesn't mean that the United States doesn't have any effect on Canada. Remember, a few months ago saw a potential leader for the CPC trumpeting how she wanted to "bring Donald Trump's 'exciting message' to Canada" who was endorsed by a white supremacist group, which is eerily similar to Trump's KKK endorsement that he failed to disavow.

BY2K

Membero Americo
the 2012 Student Tuition protest? not comparable. Apples and Oranges.

anyway, the 2012 Student Protests caused the Liberals to fall for a PQ minority then the PQ minority drudged up Identity Politics with their Charter of Quebec Values.

thank God that PQ minority was short lived

Good God what a dumpster fire that was.

Your daily reminder that Harper was a tool.

Obviously Canada's issues pertaining to race, gender, etc. are different from the U.S., no one's exactly in a hurry to take down the nonexistent statues for FLQ members or defend residential schools (aside from Lynn Beyak), but that doesn't mean that the United States doesn't have any effect on Canada. Remember, a few months ago saw a potential leader for the CPC trumpeting how she wanted to "bring Donald Trump's 'exciting message' to Canada" who was endorsed by a white supremacist group, which is eerily similar to Trump's KKK endorsement that he failed to disavow.

Ever since it became obvious that the Trump thing was a toxic dumpster fire the Conservatives have been scrambling to distance themselves from it. None of their Trump-lite candidates got any traction, they went with a Christian values guy. Even O'Leary got knocked out of their primaries in a hurry. Canadian polls made it really clear to them people want nothing to do with that sort of populism.

Trudeau is pretty much untouchable right now because of the contrast with The Donald. Nobody can even get any sort of opposition criticism through because Trump's noise dominates our news cycles too. The Liberals are like 30 points ahead in Quebec based on it, they've likely got the next election in the bag.

With everything that is going on in the United States, the white supremicist rallies have given Canadian White Supremicists a platform to expand on, this issue is expanding and getting awareness just acorss the 49th parallel. Sad.

Is the implication here that the white supremacists assholes there are only having rallies because the white supremacists assholes here are having rallies?

Top Bottom