• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Lol.... destrudo just double spoiler'd me.

I was going to quote him and say he should have spoiler tagged the name :(

but when I went to reply, his stealth edit was there and the spoiler tags don't work in the text box, so I saw the rest of his post too.

omg lol.

Jackpot

Banned
Yeah, I thought so - it's just going to be EIGHT DAYS for some people, though for me right now it's literally seven days.

HOW EXCITING

frv4ednfivnaisunvuapsdn

That means you can post it. JP releases get their own separate semi-official OTs due to the huge amount of the community who can't share in the playing. First English release is what counts.

ErikB

Banned
Giving you a not functional camera shouldn't be a part of the game, I should see what is around me, not guessing it.

Why? There is a whole bunch of stuff they could do to make the game more user friendly. Up to an autoaim.

Er, other than the quick shot.

It does make you work, but what is wrong with that?

Sojgat

I really like the camera. I don't think it is any more... whatever it is... than using the iron sights/aim down sights mode in an FPS.

When you have your gun up aiming is not the problem, it's maybe a little close, but it's fine. The standing camera is the problem, it rotates in a 1 ft circumference around your character who obscures half of the screen. I never get motion sickness in games, but the FOV in RE6 is a nightmare, it gives me a headache.

destrudo

Lol.... destrudo just double spoiler'd me.

I was going to quote him and say he should have spoiler tagged the name :(

but when I went to reply, his stealth edit was there and the spoiler tags don't work in the text box, so I saw the rest of his post too.

omg lol.

Sorry man! I edited it as quickly as I could!

ErikB

Banned
Is there any part of the demo you don't like?

I don't like that they changed the camera from the DD demo. People still think it is too close, and I don't think it looks as cool. I don't consider that a win for anyone.

And maybe I would prefer that they used real assault rifles rather than made up one. And all shotguns except sawnoffs should have stocks. Other than that, nothing I can't live with.

ironcreed

Banned
You know... I agree with the sentiment here, but at the same time I don't think the control scheme is actually shitty, and for a bunch of people in this thread (myself included) it did eventually "click". I mean, I did not do any kind of crazy mental gymnastics to wrap my head around it. I just played the game some more. And now it feels really good, intuitive even.

Won't say that this will work for everyone, and that people who don't like the scheme are wrong to criticize, but interestingly enough I think it works. I think it's well designed! lol...

I would call it a learning curve, but don't want to come off condescending. But imo that's what it feels like. There's some muscle memory tied to it, especially the camera, imo.

I agree. Despite his persistence, ErikB actually does have somewhat of a point. There are those of us who kept playing and got a feel for some of the clever little nuances beneath the surface of the core mechanics. It feels a bit quirky to be sure, but it works and the tools are there to make the gameplay pretty unique. The camera works against this a bit, but that is about my only gripe with it now.

The more I play the demo, the more I realized that the camera is this fucking game was done by torturers.

It really gets between you and the action, the awful FOV and the fact your character takes like 1/3 of the screen...is seriously dumb and makes no sense. I can't see shit between how dark the game is and the camera.

Maybe the game right now could be a 8/10 for me but the camera pushes it down to 6/10. Is seriously that bad.

I'd drop it to 4/10 or less depending on the character section in the demo. I think they saw how popular ADS/ironsights was in CoD and decided to make the whole game from that view, though it seems more likely that it's all about performance savings at the cost of comfortable player-camera. Everything else I can deal though not be happy with, but the FOV is a fucking disaster that saps away all the positives and feeling of control and awareness of the immediate vicinity that there could be in the moment-to-moment gameplay when you're constantly staring at a wall right in front of you at 2x zoom. If they patch that shit, I'll probably pick it up eventually.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
When you have your gun up aiming is not the problem, it's maybe a little close, but it's fine. The standing camera is the problem, it rotates in a 1 ft circumference around your character who obscures half of the screen. I never get motion sickness in games, but the FOV in RE6 is a nightmare, it gives me a headache.

I'm used to it now... I don't know if this will make any sense or help you but I found the camera works best if you "steer" with it... and use the camera reset button quite a lot in tight quarters.

I don't know if that makes any sense to read... sorry. I generally hate camera reset buttons in TP games. I like to just control the camera myself. But in RE6 it's become pretty important, especially for small adjustments in congested areas.

This is not an excuse, just my strategy.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Really rough translation of what the German guy is saying in the review. This is from a guy on GameFAQs. Might be spoilers in this:

Anyway, as far as the vid goes my translation is very, very rough, but 90% of the vid he's just saying stuff we already knew. He's not going into the story, in fact, a lot of it he's just saying what he's doing in the vid. Here's just some tid bits on what he said:

For the first time with localization, RE is all in German

The german voices is really good

When Chris' campaign shows he says something like ""did someone put call of duty in our video? No, the shooter style something something, goes on about the playstyle

Jake's part, he says other setting, because we don't want to walk through the snow, we'll take us a snow mobile

I think he says sometimes we have to take cover because then he says here we find ourselves in a cabin

After they blow the wall in the cabin he's like, "yeah we needed that door. Good thing Jake" and I dunno the rest

Then he says the scene goes on and now we have to run from an avalanche on snow mobiles

With Sherry he says we're in a "labor" (laboratory?) and we need to escape

When she's in the locker he says, "here we're clever as we hide in the shrank, (which is like a closest, but I guess it's a locker) and we watch someone open the door to get the keypad number

No idea what he says when it shows Leon's campaign again. Guess he's talking about the traps and he might say they're light as in not many, but don't quote me on that. He does say he's being careful as he goes under the blades

He also mentions about quick time events I think during the bosses, he might say there's quite a few

Then he just says RE6 is co-op, can be computer or a person and just mentions what he's doing like how Leon's burning the zombies and Helena has to do her part holding off something, etc.

He says they didn't really have to help out their partner, the AI could hold off their own, so it's like easier than it is if you're playing with a person

In every campaign there's a 4 player co op, here is Jake and Sherry on the floor and as Piers, Chris' partner, we're helping them with the sniper

On one console two players can play via split screen, he says the screen is small so he may say something like you need to look harder or maybe something about the visuals, not sure

Says co-op is fun though and it can be done online

Says one of the highlights of RE6 is the monsters. Then he just goes on about them, not exactly sure what but I think just describing them

He says something about "we missed their mega video" or something about says how there's some things they didn't like, but then says something like RE6 is full on action and every campaign is about 6-hours

He then says, "there's also, unfortunately" and then he says something I dunno. He says "it's probably realistic but I didn't like it." I says "losing" something during that

Says there's a lot of highlights during bosses

Atmosphere is big, the presentation is something. Maybe something along the lines of like a movie

RE6 is horror action, says something, and then he says it's film like again

Why? There is a whole bunch of stuff they could do to make the game more user friendly. Up to an autoaim.

Er, other than the quick shot.

It does make you work, but what is wrong with that?

Is not about making the game user friendly, giving you a functional camera that dosn't limit your vision artificially is the 101 of how to make your game playable.

It dosn't even make sense saying is part of the game mechanics, RE4 required of the player be aware of their surroundings with visual and sound clues, without limiting you vision at 50º.

Having to constantly move the camera just to see what on your side is just bad for a game that requires being in constant movement.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Let's abandon this monstrosity of a thread now, please.

destrudo

He says something about "we missed their mega video" or something about says how there's some things they didn't like, but then says something like RE6 is full on action and every campaign is about 6-hours

I'm really hoping it was this short because he was going full speed on a low difficulty. Otherwise that seems kind of short. Still a long game in the grand scheme, but I guess I was hoping for more time with each campaign.

News Bot

Banned
The control is functional at best. The shooting while walking is welcome, the inconsistencies of bullet wound is not appreciated (sometimes it takes 2 headshot to kill zombies, sometimes it takes 6). The sliding and left/right dodge is a nice addition and so is running post shooting enemy to trigger QTE melee. The cover is pretty much a mess and I'd avoid it unless I need to recharge health or survey enemies. Camera is too close to the characters and can induce motion sickness as a result.

I also do not appreciate the different UI/interface for different character. FFS, this designer obviously didn't get the memo on how design uniformity and repetition helps player to become familiar with the system. It's like he/she designed the different UI just because he/she can and because it looks pretty without thinking about functionality and how it'll be used by the player.

Dead Space is a great example how UI can be pretty, easy to understand, and functional within the game world. RE6 clearly tried to copy that but failed miserably.

I disagree completely with inconsistencies of bullet wounds. I don't want every single monster I come across to be predictable.

Cover is indeed useless. Why people actually bother using it and playing the game like a cover shooter then get annoyed when it doesn't feel good is beyond me.

The UIs are dick.

Will the game jump between the campaigns or do you for example play all of Chris first then Leon,.. ?

You can play one campaign up until say Chapter 2, then stop and go into another character's campaign. Or you can play an entire campaign and move onto the other and so on. It's really just up to you.

masterkajo

I disagree completely with inconsistencies of bullet wounds. I don't want every single monster I come across to be predictable.

Cover is indeed useless. Why people actually bother using it and playing the game like a cover shooter then get annoyed when it doesn't feel good is beyond me.

The UIs are dick.

You can play one campaign up until say Chapter 2, then stop and go into another character's campaign. Or you can play an entire campaign and move onto the other and so on. It's really just up to you.

But since the campaigns seem to cross paths now and then is there like a chronological ordering of events (like Leon Ch.1&2 -> Chris Ch.1 -> Leon Ch.3 -> Chris Ch.2&3 -> Jake... etc.)
<-----Leon----->
.......<------Chris------>
...........................<----Jake---->
---------------------------------------> t
for example :p
or is it more ment to be like Resident Evil 2 (or to some extend Separate Ways from RE4 with Ada) where you play one version of the events and then experience the other side like
<----Leon---->
<----Chris--->
<----Jake---->
------------------>t

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
About "inconsistent bullet wounds", I was playing RE4 just now and this is present here too. Sometimes it takes 2 headshots to kill a ganado, other times it can take significantly more. I think it's just intentionally random like that.

Isn't that just the "critical" modifier? A % chance to get an instant kill via headshot?

Top Bottom