• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

dab0ne

Can you block in this game? The red eyed dog is killing me in about 10 seconds. It keeps telling me to Parry but I can't see to do that. LOL :)

When you parry the dog he flies back so far that you can't hit him and have to parry him again. I must be missing something about the combat system.

Nope, that's about it. Actually you have to time your parry perfectly so you can to a counter attack. The problem is the parry isn't perfect and takes some time to get used to.

Tokubetsu

Going by the demo, Anarchy Reigns and Revengeance are running neck to neck for worst game from Platinum Games.

iOiNO13YR7Acw.gif

Roto13

It's really weird to me that there are people who don't get parrying. It's pretty simple. You're given a LOT of wiggle room for the timing, and the flash showing that you're about to be attacked is huge.

RoKKeR

It's really weird to me that there are people who don't get parrying. It's pretty simple. You're given a LOT of wiggle room for the timing, and the flash showing that you're about to be attacked is huge.

The game does a piss poor job of explaining it to you. Because X is the attack button I think a lot of people just end up swinging towards enemies hoping to block, myself included.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Well......
It is possible.
Anarchy Reigns is my pick for Platinum's worst game(still good tho).

People always forget Madworld. Its Madworld. Jack is a character curse.

Rising will be part of The Holy Platinum Trinity this gen with Bayonetta and Vanquish.

It's not taught at all, you get an unclear pop up, it's weird to me that you're surprised.
The parry is the least intuitive thing about the demo.

Roto13

The game does a piss poor job of explaining it to you. Because X is the attack button I think a lot of people just end up swinging towards enemies hoping to block, myself included.

I guess. I saw "Forward + Square = Parry" and figured it out immediately, though.

looking around in other forum there is tons of frustration on how this game explains things not everyone will catch on, such as certain individuals. playing it a bit more has me kind of hesitant - i will still get the game but it's definitely nothing crazy to me yet.

dab0ne

Ok, I dont wanna be "that guy" but has anyone played it on both systems yet? I've been playing it on PS3 and just downloaded it for 360. I like the 360 more. The controls feel little more solid and responsive or something. Dunno, maybe its just me.

Dibbz

Played it. Thought it was fun for a bit bit I feel the combat is just weird. I mean the move list just feels wrong. Double forward on an analogue stick should not be a command for an attack in any game, let alone one that focuses on combat.

Graphics are super shit, like wow Jack must take up like 99% of the performance allocation here because everything else looks terrible. Even he is not really anything special.

I didn't expect much from it but honestly it's worse than I thought it would be.

Killed the dog finally.

The Parrying "explanation" is poor, considering there is a tutorial at the start it should cover combat BASICS, and the game is good enough at frequently interrupting gameplay with other messages. Maybe the final game will be different.

Anyway, it was pretty cool, and it's crazy fast. It's amazing to play a 60fps combat game, lovely stuff.

One question, when you are about to do the final move on the boss and the Japanese symbol comes up, are you supposed to do something? I tried pressing buttons but nothing happens.

RoKKeR

Killed the dog finally.
One question, when you are about to do the final move on the boss and the Japanese symbol comes up, are you supposed to do something? I tried pressing buttons but nothing happens.

I have this question as well. Every time I saw it I spazzed out on the controller but nothing ever happened. Felt like a tool for expecting something, lol.

The game is awesome, I need to practice more and definetly I don't see it that easy as people are saying, the battle against the 2 geckos and the dudes with rocketlaunchers isn't easy at all.

After finishing the demo and I could think it was:" I want more!"

Some of you are really jumping the gun with the whole "button mashing combos don't matter" disappointment. There are 2 difficulty levels higher than the one in the demo, just hold on a minute for the full game to release. Bayonetta can be equally as mashy on Normal right up until you fight Grace & Glory, then the harder difficulties are like 2 different games.

Also is the first level of the game...

Also try to face the 2 geckos and the guys with rocketlaunchers with just button mashing....good luck.

dab0ne

Killed the dog finally.

The Parrying "explanation" is poor, considering there is a tutorial at the start it should cover combat BASICS, and the game is good enough at frequently interrupting gameplay with other messages. Maybe the final game will be different.

Anyway, it was pretty cool, and it's crazy fast. It's amazing to play a 60fps combat game, lovely stuff.

You hit the "blade slice" slow mo button (or whatever its called) and cut the shit out of him. You get a bit of a blue flash a well during this time, this happens with other enemies too (kinda like the stealth kills on the soldiers). I think it just means they're vulnerable and ready for the 'ol slice-N-dice.

It's also interesting to see how people use the Blade Mode. Are people here using it during every kill? Or just selected ones? Maybe handy for getting left arms for the in-game currency (I assume).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It's also interesting to see how people use the Blade Mode. Are people here using it during every kill? Or just selected ones? Maybe handy for getting left arms for the in-game currency (I assume).

I use it sparingly since I'm focusing more on killing enemies with normal moves.

Man, I end up using it every kill.

Heck, you can get the first three soldiers in one slash if you parry the first attack the one in the middle throws out.

And I've started using force palm(don't know it's actual name) more. Block me? Lol no.

Dave1988

Interesting little tidbit I found:

When soldiers throw grenades at you, you can punch the grenades back using the force push move (back-forward-square)

branny

When soldiers throw grenades at you, you can punch the grenades back using the force push move (back-forward-square)
You can also do a backstep and deflect it, or bat it away with ninja run wide attack slicing, too. :p

edit:
DarҖaoZ;46823230 said:
You only need to hit the grenade using any move. You can even cut the Rockets thrown by Bazookas with Blade Mode.
yeah, this

Ok, I dont wanna be "that guy" but has anyone played it on both systems yet? I've been playing it on PS3 and just downloaded it for 360. I like the 360 more. The controls feel little more solid and responsive or something. Dunno, maybe its just me.

I definitely prefer the PS3 version. It controlled just fine for me; didn't notice any difference in responsiveness between the two. The screen tear and black crush of the 360 version puts me off though. Just a demo, so we'll see.

You only need to hit the grenade using any move. You can even cut the Rockets thrown by Bazookas with Blade Mode.

joe2187

Banned
Going by the demo, Anarchy Reigns and Revengeance are running neck to neck for worst game from Platinum Games.

Anarchy Reigns has been my favorite game of this year, Deathball is the greatest MP mode I've ever played.

How attack button + push in direction of attack not intuitive?

I wonder if the harder difficulties will have any handicaps. Bayonetta went as far getting rid of witch time.

And then I truly understood how I was supposed to play the game, all the other difficulties are baby mode compared to climax, it's such an amazing and rewarding experience to play.

If the highest difficulty does what I think it's going to do and take out the incoming attack cue, the flurry attacks are going be painful as shit

It means it's Zandatsu time... another words, use blade mode and fruit ninja the shit out of whatever is in front of you.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

That move is the best. I'm not even sure what he's supposed to be doing but it's sexy as fuck.

DieH@rd

Banned
Platinum made so many great action games... and now they are starting to talk with leaders from failed Vigil.

Can you imagine Darksiders III with Platinum touch? :D

Fraeon

I was getting lit up by the dog until I realized how the parry actually works... then I was only failing at the timing occasionally doing the parry waaaaaay later than I should've. Managed to kill it while at 70% health, which meant I still failed at it but the mistakes I made during the fight were blindingly obvious at that point.

I guess I'm supposed to use blade mode when enemies flash blue? I have no idea when to use it otherwise. The tutorial was ass at explaining anything, really, so I'm not sure why it's even there.

I think once I figure out the controls, I will be way more into this. I was getting owned by the boss from the get-go. Game runs stellar, love the codec stuff. Playing as Cyborg Raiden is so bad-ass; I just need to master these controls to really enjoy action games like this. Same thing with Bayonetta.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I was getting lit up by the dog until I realized how the parry actually works... then I was only failing at the timing occasionally doing the parry waaaaaay later than I should've. Managed to kill it while at 70% health, which meant I still failed at it but the mistakes I made during the fight were blindingly obvious at that point.

I guess I'm supposed to use blade mode when enemies flash blue? I have no idea when to use it otherwise. The tutorial was ass at explaining anything, really, so I'm not sure why it's even there.

this. my first impression is that i hate this. i button mashed my way through all the enemies, with mild frustration with the second major group with rocket launching guys constantly peppering my with lock on rockets, then got to the dog thing and got spanked by his literal non-stop series of attacks. the demo does a really shitty job of introducing you to the basics and i dont think i care enough to research them myself.

not a good first impression - and with my gaming habits these days, thats all it takes to move it off my to buy list.

I can only assume people having trouble with the parry have never used the mechanic in any other combat game. Not to sound like a douche, but it's unbelievably simple and lenient. If you have any concept of what a parry is, the game telling you left stick + attack is all you really need as a parry tutorial. The timing and enemy indicators are left up to you as a learning process. I don't know, I'm just having a hard time understanding the confusion.

Cwarrior

I beat the demo, took me a few goes to beat the dog, I didn't like it, the cutting shit was really dumb novel thing, the game would be better without it.

Anarchy Reigns demo was awesome unlike this games demo(mgs).

I guess. I saw "Forward + Square = Parry" and figured it out immediately, though.

I still don't know what the fuck this means I happen to hit back throwing knives randomly sometimes.

I see *left control stick icon* + square = to parry, no indication on which way your mean to point the control stick or if your meant to push it down.

Amagon

So to parry, you have to push down the left stick plus one of the face buttons at the same time? I keep on doing that but I don't think its working for me.

chrono01

So to parry, you have to push down the left stick plus one of the face buttons at the same time? I keep on doing that but I don't think its working for me.

Not at the same time. Simply hold the control stick in the direction the attack is coming from and hit Square [once you see the orange flash]. If you time it right, you'll either block the attack and push them back or block and instantly counter.

Edit - At least that's what I've read. I haven't yet downloaded/experienced the demo for myself.

branny

The last time people bothered to put together a demo guide was with RE6.

Just sayin'.

I can only assume people having trouble with the parry have never used the mechanic in any other combat game. Not to sound like a douche, but it's unbelievably simple and lenient. If you have any concept of what a parry is, the game telling you left stick + attack is all you really need as a parry tutorial. The timing and enemy indicators are left up to you as a learning process. I don't know, I'm just having a hard time understanding the confusion.
Unfortunately, a lot of MGS players who have never touched other action or fighting games are going to be blindsided by this.

Guys the instructions for Parry are in the first battle. You press the left stick on the direction of the attack while pressing light attack (Square on the PS3)

Ill Saint

I'm old, and have shite brain-to-button co-ordination, yet have little issue with the controls and command motions. Spend a bit of time just slashing around and getting used to the moves and it'll click soon enough. The combat is masterful.

Practice parry (left stick in the direction of the enemy + light attack) on the first three goons for a while!

Fraeon

I see *left control stick icon* + square = to parry, no indication on which way your mean to point the control stick or if your meant to push it down.

That was what my confusion was. I thought the icon meant I should be pushing the stick down instead of holding forward while pressing square. When I realized it was FORWARD + light attack, the dog (and subsequently the gekkos) became pretty easy after that.

The game did constantly remind you of the existence of the parry but I only got it randomly till I realized what the notation actually meant. :p

Arklite

Yeah, really. I played the tutorial and messed with button combinations to get a feel for it. I guess the game does assume you have at least one action/hack/slash game under your belt, but otherwise it's not difficult to come to terms with the controls.

Amagon

Not at the same time. Simply hold the control stick in the direction the attack is coming from and hit Square [once you see the orange flash]. If you time it right, you'll either block the attack and push them back or block and instantly counter.

Edit - At least that's what I've read. I haven't yet downloaded/experienced the demo for myself.

Well, shit.

I gotta admit I had a lot of fun just slicing every destructible bit of the environment. Had to switch the controls so that camera was on right stick and blade controls were on the left in blade mode, other way around hurt my brain.

There was a tip that explicitly told me to press toward the attacker and press square. Though does the circle button do anything? Makes me wonder why they didn't just map it there for simplicity's sake.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

my confusion stems from the fact that i dont recall the game EVER telling me there is a parry, let alone how to do it. instead, i played a tutorial where i got to use the (super cool) slicing mechanic.... and thats it.

Top Bottom