• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver is the best action film of 2017

Dmax3901

Saw this finally, as a huge Edgar Wright fan I liked it but didn't love it.

Three cases of me not liking movies with hugely positive reactions this year: Logan, Get Out and now Baby Driver.

Kickz

Three cases of me not liking movies with hugely positive reactions this year: Logan, Get Out and now Baby Driver.

Saw it this weekend to, and it was just alright.

Wonder Woman was the better movie.

I enjoyed it but one gripe I had was how Buddy (John Hamm) was basically invincible, it just seemed out of place.

It was like a slasher movie reference since his real name ends up being Jason haha

Anyways perhaps there will be better movies this year, the fall tends to have a lot of good ones but I'm finding it unlikely I'll enjoy any other movie this year as much as this one. So fun personally. And I just fuck with spacey, Hamm and Foxx a lot so to see them deliver lines from an Edgar Wright script had me gassed.

I get why people would say the opening scene was the best, it was like the big statement of the film showing the concept and kicked it into high gear. But I thought the botched heist at the end with the footchase and the shootout with the cops was better personally. Best song from the soundtrack, and it reminded me a lot of stuff like heat and point break with how urgent and frantic it got

For action movies this year I've got:

Baby Driver > Logan > John Wick 2

Yep..right now it is the best action movie of 2017. I love this movie direction, its all superb from beginning to end. I think this is also the best Edgar Wright movie.

Watched this over the weekend. Was great to begin with but yeah, like many have said it doesn't hit that high again.

I preferred John Wick 2 and Wonder Woman by quite a margin though.

Skyr

Saw it last week and was personally disappointed with it.

Not because it was plainly bad but because I had totally different expactations.

Expected it to have a somewhat serious tone while it turned out to be rather humorous and silly at times.

As I said not bad but just not my cup of tea.

Kickz

Saw it last week and was personally disappointed with it.

Not because it was plainly bad but because I had totally different expactations.

Expected it to have a somewhat serious tone while it turned out to be rather humorous and silly at times.

As I said not bad but just not my cup of tea.

Yea, I think the crazy hype turned me on this movie as well.

It had 3 months of pub and hype to live up to

Rogan

Banned
Tried to saw it yesterday but I couldn't finish it.

I can't think of a recent movie that was this boring. I'm sorry.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

?
You just said that you liked Baby Driver in the same post.

sirap

Didn't like it either, but it was a fine movie. I had a hard time sympathizing with the leads, not sure if it's because they lacked romantic chemistry or Elgort's punchable face.

Jon Hamm was fantastic though.

Farsi

I didn't overly enjoy the leads either but I was having way too much fun to care. Put a smile on my face from beginning to end. I hope it gets a best picture nom.

Keym

Damn enjoyable movie, everything from the sound effects to the action following the music was amazing to watch (and listen). This is how you put an original spin on old cliche storylines. More, please.

That said, if I hear one more song with the word "baby" in it, I'll kick the first baby I see on the street.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I did not enjoy this film at all. The main guy was bland, Jamie Foxx had his moments I guess. The story was predictable and boring. Clearly I'm out of touch.

Dmax3901

?
You just said that you liked Baby Driver in the same post.

Ha whoops, that's what I get for lumping movies together. I liked Baby Driver more than Logan for example. My basic point was that none of those three floored me like I was sure they would.

Monocle

Baby Driver is your favorite action film of the year. Personally, I'd rank John Wick 2, Logan, and Wonder Woman above it. Probably in that order.

Each of these movies passes a certain threshold of quality that makes no answer the wrong answer. Unless of course that answer involves trashing any of them. (People are shitting on Wonder Woman's action? Wut.) They're all great.

PulseONE

I was gonna watch this but the trailer made it seem kinda...generic

But fine I've been convinced, I'll check it out

Top Bottom